Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

Is Blueblanc alluding to them the only mention they get in Cold Steel anyway? I wanna know if Estelle go herself a cool nickname like every other famous bracer/enforcer/gralsritter on the continent.

It's the only one I've seen in the first game, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
that image is an outrage. it has no Schera.

(everything else is still really good though, I might take the Sara or the Laura)

Koguma fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 3, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I would like the Towa one, if someone could Avatar it, I'd spend actual money for it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

For the Arianrhod one cut off in the corner.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The Colonel posted:

that's okay, the music is the only real important part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM3Kf4L7gnY

I always disliked how the orchestrated OST versions of Battle Artist and Seeking Victory sounded compared to the in-game ones.

But either way, great soundtrack. My personal favorite is Chasing Shirley, with a shoutout to the fascinating use of distortion effects in Short Circuit.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Slur posted:

For the Arianrhod one cut off in the corner.

Slur knows what's up

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Koguma posted:

Slur knows what's up

words I never thought I'd see spoken in my lifetime.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm approaching the end of Cold Steel and infuriatingly few of my big questions have been answered. I assume most will be left for the sequel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I'm approaching the end of Cold Steel and infuriatingly few of my big questions have been answered. I assume most will be left for the sequel?

a few get answered in the very last stretch, but yeah, some are saved for the sequel. fortunately we'll be getting that pretty soon, odds are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endorph posted:

a few get answered in the very last stretch, but yeah, some are saved for the sequel. fortunately we'll be getting that pretty soon, odds are.

Chapter 7: I'm kind of annoyed that the 7th floor of the Old Schoolhouse basically answered zero questions and raised a ton more with the Gundam

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

Probably! I'm in the last dungeon myself, so we'll see what that will reveal, if anything. CS really does seem almost entirely set up for the sequel, like FC was for SC but even more so. I'm fine with that, but it's gonna make the wait for II even harder.

Especially since I managed to spoil myself on CSII's epilogue while looking up stuff about the Crossbell games and really want to know how things get to that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Chapter 7: I'm kind of annoyed that the 7th floor of the Old Schoolhouse basically answered zero questions and raised a ton more with the Gundam

Gundam is the answer to all questions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Doomhammer posted:

Probably! I'm in the last dungeon myself, so we'll see what that will reveal, if anything. CS really does seem almost entirely set up for the sequel, like FC was for SC but even more so. I'm fine with that, but it's gonna make the wait for II even harder.

Especially since I managed to spoil myself on CSII's epilogue while looking up stuff about the Crossbell games and really want to know how things get to that point.

The way I see it, FC feels like a mostly complete story with some hanging plot threads (and one major plotbomb at the end), with SC being another distinct story with the same characters.

Cold Steel feels like it's just setting the stage for a much bigger story later. It hasn't really felt like it was telling its own story.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

The way I see it, FC feels like a mostly complete story with some hanging plot threads (and one major plotbomb at the end), with SC being another distinct story with the same characters.

Cold Steel feels like it's just setting the stage for a much bigger story later. It hasn't really felt like it was telling its own story.

That's indeed the case. FC ends with the main "villain" arrested, the country at peace again for the moment and the protagonist essentially getting that promotion they've worked so hard to earn. There's no such resolution in Cold Steel, even before the plot bombs start dropping one after another)

Of course, FC started with a very specific and clear-cut goal in mind; earn that full-fledged Bracer badge, so even if not all the stuff you got entangled into on the way got resolved, you achieved what you set out to do. Cold Steel has no such goal set up, aside from maybe the whole thing with the school festival, so it doesn't get resolved in the end either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Eh. I don't really agree. FC had a more cohesive breaking point between the two but I really didn't feel like it was a complete story. CS has a lot in common with it though I think CS ends a bit more dramatically than FC did. But there's so much unexplained or unresolved in FC that I never would have called it a full story. The Gospel mind control is unresolved, the events of the thing being unlocked are unresolved, a whole lot of stuff is unresolved even before the Alba plotsplosion. Of the two I'd say FC is the one I'd be more satisfied with if it didn't get a sequel but I wouldn't be satisfied either way.

Erpy posted:

That's indeed the case. FC ends with the main "villain" arrested, the country at peace again for the moment and the protagonist essentially getting that promotion they've worked so hard to earn. There's no such resolution in Cold Steel, even before the plot bombs start dropping one after another)

FC ends with the reveal the main villain was mind controlled and the guy who mind controlled him going "lol, just kiddin'. You can't at all say it was resolved when the guy you're chasing was manipulated, completes an unclear goal and then everyone is left a bit confused. You get your Bracer badge but that's about it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think anyone's saying FC is nearly stand-alone, just that it has somewhat more of a clearly defined narrative arc than CS. At least that's how I see it.

I also don't mean it as a statement of quality, neither game is at all stand-alone and end on a cliffhanger so it's hard to claim one is better off than the other, it's just interesting to compare the two approaches.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Just finished Cold Steel on Hard. Never thought any of the bosses were bullshit until the very last one. Every other boss I felt that with better tactics I could've won when I lost. Final boss just forced me to grind up more levels when I was 66 and I still had to pray to the RNG gods.

That said, a great game overall and I really want CS2 as soon as I can get it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

maybe i just rule at video games but i felt the final boss was pretty straightforward, the real meatgrinder for me was C in chapter 6

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I kinda sorta murdered it before it could even attack more than once, personally.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Cake Attack posted:

maybe i just rule at video games but i felt the final boss was pretty straightforward, the real meatgrinder for me was C in chapter 6

This. Mostly because I had devoted a lot of resources to V beforehand and wasn't exactly in great shape for C.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
I found the Chapter 6 finale to be relatively easy so long as you positioned yourself so that you had two people on each half of the arena compared with him. That way his S-Craft wouldn't wipe you (I screwed up once mid-way and Angel thankfully saved my rear end).

But dealing with "Blue Destination" was like punching a brick wall where nothing I did or could do would get me closer than 20-30% remaining of the boss' HP. Then I got 4 more levels and finally managed to wreck him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C wasn't that bad if you took out his buddies quickly, and kept on top of his mines. His S-Craft hits hard but yeah, so long as you use the Move button a bit you'll be fine.

I wish someone had an S-craft like Kloe's from Sky, but I guess hers was a bit too strong. Still, it was a bit lame that every S-Craft was basically a nuke button, only some people (Alisa) had really crappy nuke buttons that you'd never use unless you were just unloading on the last chunk of a boss's HP.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Alisa's sole purpose whenever I got forced to use her was to wear the Gladiator's Belt and act as a CP battery for better characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, I used Alisa as a CP battery, but she's so good at it that I used her whenever I could.

Honestly my preferred party never changed from the Rean/Laura/Alisa/Elliot party the game gives you at the very start. Machias, Fie, and Jusis all got subbed in as the support members but those four were my boss-killing party for every floor of the schoolhouse. Rean and Laura dump s-crafts on and regular crafts on the boss, Alisa heals and provides CP, Elliot keeps his defense buff up and casts.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
I generally went with Rean, Laura, Fie and usually Emma but sometimes Elliot. Wrecking ball crew getting things done. Resounding Beat is great, but in the lategame Seraphic Ring just makes everything easy. And best of all by the time you get it you've got no reason to hold back on using up all those EP III charges you've undoubtedly stockpiled.

Edit: Also putting the Skanjda or whatever quartz on Rean and having Fie in the party gives you a lot of tactical flexibility and ability to recover from lovely situations. Two extra immediate turns in exchange for 200 EP on characters that basically don't cast any spells? Yes please. Or start off a battle with a double Motivate. Etc, etc.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SorcerousHam posted:

Alisa's sole purpose whenever I got forced to use her was to wear the Gladiator's Belt and act as a CP battery for better characters.

No love for Heavenly Gift? Insight is a really good status, especially if your characters already had some evasion to begin with, and the additional CP regeneration is quite helpful too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cold Steel Final Chapter: I'm more than a little sad that Class VII's encore wasn't The Whereabouts of Stars. I feel like it would've made sense, since the song is an old Erebonian song.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Cold Steel Final Chapter: I'm more than a little sad that Class VII's encore wasn't The Whereabouts of Stars. I feel like it would've made sense, since the song is an old Erebonian song.

I choose to believe that, from the way he reacted, Olivert wrote that song and Class VII were totally sucking up to him by playing it.

Anyway, finished Cold Steel! Man that ending was.... sudden. Could have used SOME catharsis to make the wait for CSII easier game! Oh well. I enjoyed Vita calling Bleublanc out on his need to get involved with every big plan the society enacts.

The best thing that happens in the last chapter is the girl in the literature club who asks if Machias is a pitcher or a catcher though.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 7, 2016

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I wish Olivert had jumped onto the stage and joined in. It would have been extremely fitting.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Mueller would have dragged him off by his ponytail. Even though he wasn't present. That wouldn't have stopped him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm playing Trails SC and I just finished chapter 2. When I equipped the Yin-Yang quartz on Kloe, it seems to have disabled the Eagle Eye effect from Heaven's Eye (which I have on Estelle), or at least the minimap portion of it.

In fact, even unequipping Yin-Yang, I can't get that effect back.

Is this a bug or something? What's going on here? If I equip actual Eagle Eye, it works, but not with Heaven's Eye.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Edit: Welp, looks like I was wrong.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 7, 2016

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Doomhammer posted:

Heaven's eye doesn't do the mini-map portion of eagle-eye unfortunately. It does two jobs but it doesn't do them as well as the quartz dedicated to those jobs.

Huh. I could have sworn I had that effect before I got Tita (and with her actual Eagle Eye), but maybe I got confused at some point. That's disappointing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That's a bug. Heaven's Eye should have the mini-map blips.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm a ways into the final chapter of TitS SC and maaaaaaan do I love this game. The last little stretch of chapter 8 put the biggest smile on my face. Even so I'm honestly amazed at how long SC is turning out to be, despite knowing well ahead of time how much longer it was than FC. I'm just about to hit the 80 hour mark, though to be fair I have been doing just about every sidequest.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fun easter egg:

the card graphic you see whenever you get a riddle from Bleublanc does not just have random gibberish written on it. it is the greek alphabet, which if you transliterate to the roman alphabet you get a message in japanese which translates to rougly

Hello
We are Nihon Falcom
Thank you for playing Legend of Heroes
We hope you enjoy it

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

'Now do this bullshit riddle'

Honestly I hope Bleublanc's not too busy to leave class VII a bunch of nonsense riddle quests in CSII.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

The Doomhammer posted:

'Now do this bullshit riddle'

Honestly I hope Bleublanc's not too busy to leave class VII a bunch of nonsense riddle quests in CSII.

Have we even got any backstory on the guy yet? For a series that's covered in detail, Falcom sure loves hiding the stuff we're actually curious about from us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly, I doubt Bleublanc's got any big backstory. He probably was a minor noble at some point, got good at sneaking around and stealing stuff, started his phantom thief act, then fell in with ouroboros. He doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd have some big past hounding him, he's just in it for a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah bleublanc doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd benefit from much backstory. i think it'd be easy to ruin part of the fun of his character if you saddled him with extensive backstory.