Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

I wish I could run Android on 6S. Decent, customizable os with god tier hardware. But can't have it both ways...

You can go with HTC and it will at least look like an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you weren't running Android on top of Windows Mobile on a Touch Pro2 in 2010, you weren't doing it right. :colbert:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

What phones did you long term android users use between 2006-2015 (when android cameras finally got good enough)?

I went from a 2005 Nokia candybar to nothing but iphones from 2007 until October 2015 when I moved to a 2015 MotoXP. The only thing I miss about my last iPhone 6 is the headphone port, the apple earbuds* and overall build quality and much more thoughtful layout of buttons. Regardless of that, I ain't going back and hopefully the headphone port and power/volume switches move.

*cheap amzn fire earbuds are drat good and work with volume/pause buttons perfectly.

Itunes blows bad though good riddance....except I still have to use it to keep the 80G ipod in my car loaded. You can claw my MacBook Air out of my cold dead hands, I don't see a reason to fart around with a chromebook/pixel at all. My 2013 Nexus 7 tablet is still plugging along as well.

I've never cared about pictures at all so my odd release Nexuses have always done me fine (One, Galaxy, 5). I love my MacBook Air but I could probably live with a Chromebook if they'd put fastboot and ADB in them.

I don't dislike Apple at all, my gripe is entirely with the iOS usage paradigm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really think the phone camera thing is generational.

I graduated college in 2001. At that point, you shot on film if you wanted anything to look halfway decent. The Sony Mavica FD5 storing images on 1.44" floppies was the peak of consumer digital cameras at VGA resolution for over $500 in 1997.

Film is expensive though. It was expensive in (good) equipment, consumables, and processing. Most people had either a cheap fixed lens 35mm camera that they got at Kmart or a disposable 35mm camera with 800 speed film. Photo quality was junk, but it was better than nothing and actually somewhat affordable. You took photos 27 at a time and probably took you a month or so to take that many unless you were going on a trip or it was a special event. Now people take 27 different photos of their lunch before the first bite is even eaten.

So, that's my frame of reference for photos.

I bought a Kodak DC3200 in 2001 with an incredible 1.3mp sensor and started snapping pictures. Even that camera came awfully close to those disposable days. From there it was an upward trend. My VX8100 flip phone bested that DC3200 and I had it with me all the time! It was without a doubt capturing better pictures than disposable film cameras. It was about that time that I had the biggest leap in quality when I bought my Canon Powershot S410 in 2006. That was my first serious camera at 4mp and honestly most of the pictures I took on it stand up to this day and it's only been in the past 2 years or so when smartphones (iPhone included) were as versatile and as high quality as the shots it took.

So, from there, my phone cameras keep improving with every upgrade, but none would surpass my point and shoot. I would eventually replace that S410 with an S790 8 years ago and it STILL bests the top smartphone cameras on the market. It wasn't long after I bought that camera that I moved to the OG Droid. From there it went from Droid -> Bionic/Droid Razr -> Galaxy Nexus-> Razr HD MAXX -> Droid MAXX -> Droid Turbo - MXP. Every iteration improved upon the last but they were all inferior to my point and shoot. At lot of times it wasn't inferior enough to warrant carrying around the point and shoot, but it still couldn't match.

So, I always had this clear line in my mind. If I wanted to take serious pictures, I used a real camera. Otherwise, whatever my cell phone had since the mid 2000s was LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than my only real choice for taking photos in college.

The ultimate expression of this occurred just last week when I bought a Sony A6000 APS-C Mirrorless camera. When I actually plan on snapping shots, that's going to be close at hand. There's no beating a decent sized sensor and real glass. For photos to post to Facebook? Smartphone cameras have been good enough for that for at least 4 years.

I very well might feel different if I was 20 years younger and I never knew what it was like to manually wind to the next frame or discover after you had the film developed that the awesome group shot you took a month ago was horribly overexposed and barely recognizable. Kids today don't know how good they have it.

So, in summation, GET OFF MY LAWN!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

but I could probably live with a Chromebook if they'd put fastboot and ADB in them.
Enable developer mode, then install Secure Shell (to use as a local terminal emulator), crouton, and the android-tools-adb Debian/Ubuntu package.

It's a few steps, but fastboot and adb work just great.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Enable developer mode, then install Secure Shell (to use as a local terminal emulator), crouton, and the android-tools-adb Debian/Ubuntu package.

It's a few steps, but fastboot and adb work just great.

I ran a Chromebook with Ubuntu as my daily driver, it worked fine. It has some weird issues with hibernation, but other than for $125 a fully functioning linux laptop with a nice screen was a good deal. I picked up a replacement mSATA drive as well, so I had 64GB of storage. At the time I was traveling for work a ton, so it was better to carry that around instead of the huge huge Dell cinderblock they bought me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Chromebooks can make for cheap Linux hardware depending on the specific model. But crouton lets you use fastboot and adb from legit Chrome OS if that's your thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Chromebooks can make for cheap Linux hardware depending on the specific model. But crouton lets you use fastboot and adb from legit Chrome OS if that's your thing.

I had the Samsung one that had a Celeron processor. Having a standard x86 chip made it a lot easier. I figure it's a hassle with the ARM versions since you'd have limited access to a lot of applications.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah, I'd go for an Intel model if you wanted to install the Android SDK, but the android-tools-adb Debian package works on armhf too. I regularly use fastboot and adb on an ARM Chromebook and, while I wouldn't recommend the ARM models for other reasons, software compatibility for things in Debian/Ubuntu hasn't been a huge problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My gripe is that it should work out of the box. About a year there were commits in Chromium to add fastboot and ADB support to ChromeOS just as a matter of course, which should really be the case because shouldn't Google's OS be able to manage Google's phones?

At some point I'll pick me up a modern Chromebook again just to gently caress around with because while I love my MacBook Air, there is literally nothing besides ADB and fastboot that I'd miss from an OS perspective moving to ChromeOS.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

My gripe is that it should work out of the box. About a year there were commits in Chromium to add fastboot and ADB support to ChromeOS just as a matter of course, which should really be the case because shouldn't Google's OS be able to manage Google's phones?

At some point I'll pick me up a modern Chromebook again just to gently caress around with because while I love my MacBook Air, there is literally nothing besides ADB and fastboot that I'd miss from an OS perspective moving to ChromeOS.

Eh, it's just one more thing to add to ChromeOS, they want to keep it lean and mean. I'm sure you can count on one hand the number of people that use ADB and fast boot, and even less of them would do it with a chromebook.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Eh, it's just one more thing to add to ChromeOS, they want to keep it lean and mean. I'm sure you can count on one hand the number of people that use ADB and fast boot, and even less of them would do it with a chromebook.

Even if it were to just made available in an official capacity and not included by default I'd be happy. I agree it's an niche corner case but it's my niche corner case!!!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I feel like a Luddite dumb rear end here. I upgraded my HTC One M8 to Marshmallow yesterday and noticed a few differences here and there in the interface. A few hours ago I took a look at the unlock screen and noticed a white icon in a circle near the top I hadn't seen before. So I pressed it.
At that point I got a black translucent screen overlaid over my unlock screen. It almost reaches to the top and bottom, and refuses to accept any touch input in that area. I can just manage to hit the icons at the top and bottom and drag them to unlock, but can't do any other input so I can't unlock the phone or select any settings. I also can't power it off by holding down the power button as I can't select the power off option after that.

The screenshot below (edited from a GIS) shows what I currently have, but I also overlaid where that white circular icon was. It's doesn't appear on my screen any more, that's just to show where it was and an approximation for what it looked like. Any ideas? I feel like I'm left with it like this until the battery runs down and hope that it works as it used to when I give it power again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No clue what that is off the top of my head, but just keep holding your power button down. Phones have it built in that if you hold it for 10~ seconds that it'll power down automatically. Since you can't battery pull with most modern phones. If it's still there after reboot maybe someone else can help you further.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Fantastic - that worked perfectly. Thanks heaps for that.
Now I have to live with the mystery of what the gently caress it was that I did, but at least I can use my phone.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

bull3964 posted:

it went from Droid -> Bionic/Droid Razr -> Galaxy Nexus-> Razr HD MAXX -> Droid MAXX -> Droid Turbo - MXP. Every iteration improved upon the last but

Maybe you'd have saved yourself some money if you stopped buying motorolas noted for garbage cameras. Although anything with an aps-c is significantly better than any phone still. But at least you could have outclassed your point and shoot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sextro posted:

Maybe you'd have saved yourself some money if you stopped buying motorolas noted for garbage cameras. Although anything with an aps-c is significantly better than any phone still. But at least you could have outclassed your point and shoot.

You missed the entire point. I don't give a poo poo about phone cameras because even the worse among them will be better than the stuff I had available to me just 15 years ago and if I want to reach for something better, it's going to be something that outclasses what phones can do regardless.

And no, I would still compare that SD790 favorably against the best of the current phone cameras when capturing consistently usable shots. It's close now, but it wasn't when I purchased it 8 years ago.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Yeah, I figured out how to allow LightFlow to be priority. Bummer; I guess I'll follow Tunga's suggestion and just use LightFlow for vibration patterns. And go back to Nexus for my next phone.

This still doesn't work. Do I also have to explicitly allow Messenger during priority time? Even though I already have priority set to allow messages from starred contacts, and allowing Messenger through would cause my phone to make noise for any message?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Silly question, but is there a way to open the back of a Galaxy S6? The screen and bottom capacitive buttons on her phone are no longer responding to any touch. My first troubleshooting step was going to be turning it off and on again, but ironically I can't turn it off without being able to get a touch response. So I was going to open it up and just remove the battery, but unlike my S4 there appears to be no easy way to remove the cover. Suggestions?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you hold down the power button long enough it will hard power off

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

Silly question, but is there a way to open the back of a Galaxy S6? The screen and bottom capacitive buttons on her phone are no longer responding to any touch. My first troubleshooting step was going to be turning it off and on again, but ironically I can't turn it off without being able to get a touch response. So I was going to open it up and just remove the battery, but unlike my S4 there appears to be no easy way to remove the cover. Suggestions?

Four posts up...

DemonMage posted:

No clue what that is off the top of my head, but just keep holding your power button down. Phones have it built in that if you hold it for 10~ seconds that it'll power down automatically. Since you can't battery pull with most modern phones. If it's still there after reboot maybe someone else can help you further.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

C-Euro posted:

Hold the power and volume down keys for awhile and it'll restart.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh God I'm that poster who doesn't read :doh: Thanks, that boot menu did the trick.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A couple years ago I had a friend who, upon experiencing a hard lock on their new Nexus 5, decided not to try pushing and holding any of the only three buttons on the device nor try Googling for a solution on another device, but instead to take a screwdriver and pry open the back, ripping the battery out with the screwdriver, then attempt to put it back together.

Remarkably it continued to work fine (albeit without NFC or Qi charging as he didn't know what those flappy things were and just ripped them out) for as long as I continued to know the guy. The device was a bit scratched up but I'm surprised with his approach to cellphone care that he didn't damage the battery enough to cause it to explode.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

A couple years ago I had a friend who, upon experiencing a hard lock on their new Nexus 5, decided not to try pushing and holding any of the only three buttons on the device nor try Googling for a solution on another device, but instead to take a screwdriver and pry open the back, ripping the battery out with the screwdriver, then attempt to put it back together.

People like this are like aliens to me. Like, I can't even empathize because the whole thought process is completely foreign to me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

You missed the entire point. I don't give a poo poo about phone cameras because even the worse among them will be better than the stuff I had available to me just 15 years ago and if I want to reach for something better, it's going to be something that outclasses what phones can do regardless.

And no, I would still compare that SD790 favorably against the best of the current phone cameras when capturing consistently usable shots. It's close now, but it wasn't when I purchased it 8 years ago.

hey look its me.

i too give literally fucks about cameras on phones because i own an actual real camera to take picture i care about which is almost never.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Sorry if there's a watch thread... You don't need Marshmallow to install Wear Marshmallow on the Zenwatch 2 right?

I thinking of buying it solely because of the new update that enables voice calling, but I can't find anybody that had commented on how good it is.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Munkaboo posted:

Sorry if there's a watch thread... You don't need Marshmallow to install Wear Marshmallow on the Zenwatch 2 right?

I thinking of buying it solely because of the new update that enables voice calling, but I can't find anybody that had commented on how good it is.

Correct, you don't need 6.0 on your phone to install it on your watch. There is an android wear thread, but I'm on mobile so I can't link to it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Even if it were to just made available in an official capacity and not included by default I'd be happy.
Developer mode is official. It's the same stuff Google's systems engineers use. It's like complaining about how you have to tap "Build number" seven times and turn on USB debugging in order to use ADB on a phone. It's not something they want end users using without informed consent because it's an inherent security risk, but otherwise it's a wholly-supported configuration.

For a while they were going to expose an adb-lite to end users so that folks could debug Android Chrome pages, but I think they moved to a wholly in Chrome protocol for that. For actual fastboot and adb stuff, there's no real reason for them to bake it further into the OS.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Developer mode is official. It's the same stuff Google's systems engineers use. It's like complaining about how you have to tap "Build number" seven times and turn on USB debugging in order to use ADB on a phone. It's not something they want end users using without informed consent because it's an inherent security risk, but otherwise it's a wholly-supported configuration.

Absolutely. It's like, no poo poo, this is why we use these over iPhones. Even on devices I don't flash, which is becoming the norm, it provides some peace of mind knowing I CAN if the carrier sends a broke-rear end patch down the line.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Three month Nexus 5X reviews, biggest issue is system lag https://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x-three-months

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kraps posted:

Three month Nexus 5X reviews, biggest issue is system lag https://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x-three-months

Yeah, I read that earlier today and is about what I was expecting. Pretty disappointing that it seems like for many people you get out of the 5x about what the stereotype of Android devices is...jank.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I read that earlier today and is about what I was expecting. Pretty disappointing that it seems like for many people you get out of the 5x about what the stereotype of Android devices is...jank.

I think a sub-$400 phone that occasionally has some lag is acceptable. Unless there is a phone out there that beats the 5X at the same price point, in which case, I will buy it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

nocal posted:

I think a sub-$400 phone that occasionally has some lag is acceptable. Unless there is a phone out there that beats the 5X at the same price point, in which case, I will buy it.

It isn't really occasional though. Its relatively frequent.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

It isn't really occasional though. Its relatively frequent.

I have one and that's not how I feel about it. I came from an N5 though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Come from an iphone 4 like me and you'll be a pig in poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nocal posted:

I realize some/many/most people are completely fine with their 5x, but from people who are unhappy it certainly seems like it's more than "occasional" lag.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Anybody else's 6P seem to kick stuff out of memory far too often? Usually play music, which is doubly annoying since I'm usually doing something at the time (driving or cycling) that makes it a pain to get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Qmass posted:

Come from an iphone 4 like me and you'll be a pig in poo poo.

That's fine, but the iphone 4 is like 6 years old so theres no comparison.