Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mulva posted:

There's no money in print media :cawg:

No it's the same since the issue is public display for commercial purposes.

Pretty sure ESPN is worth billions, but also pretty sure its a different issue because a photograph of the subject of an article is almost always going to be fair use.

Subjunctive posted:

Is that what the suit alleges? Do you have a link to a copy?

I expected that it would turn on the rights to reproduce or make derivative works.

E: I don't think copyright law differs between public display for commercial or non-commercial purposes (except in the context of a fair use claim -- I doubt that would fly here).

Here's a link, but Mulva is basically right about the substance of the suit.

Lawsuit posted:

Defendants have infringed Plaintiff's copyrights in their works by publicly displaying the Plaintiff’s copyrighted works without authorization and in violation of 17 U.S.C. §§106(5) and 501.

Section 106(5) addresses the copyright holder's exclusive right to publicly display graphic works.

Technically, I don't think it's an element of infringement that the use was commercial, only that it was a non-permitted public display, but the commercial use does factor into the fair use defense and likely factors into damages for infringement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Science
Sep 3, 2007

From a local shop here. Any of the shops here demonstrate this level of prowess when it comes to basic shapes and anatomy.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

From a local shop here. Any of the shops here demonstrate this level of prowess when it comes to basic shapes and anatomy.

Against all odds, crosseyed woman successfully pilots melting boat to safety.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

GreatSquidKite posted:

I'm not sure if the last one belongs here, but getting gag tattoos is never a good idea.

Well, this is just incorrect. :colbert:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Apprentice Dick posted:

This belongs to a guy in his late thirties. He subsequently started unfriending people on Facebook that made fun of it.

Why are they standing on eachother's shoulders and then extending one of them to reach out to grab the pizza ... that's at ground level with them already???

Or am I somehow misinterpreting that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

bummer dude posted:

Against all odds, crosseyed woman successfully pilots melting boat to safety.

..finally proof that she'd overcome the hardship of being born with a titty growing out of her collarbone.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

Why are they standing on eachother's shoulders and then extending one of them to reach out to grab the pizza ... that's at ground level with them already???

My guess is that he thought it would be wacky. I still don't understand how a guy his age would get this poo poo on himself.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

fullroundaction posted:

Should be a butt tattoo with the Teenage Minion Ninja Turtles trying to bridge the crack.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing it after all that fur grows back.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Wait, how did the tattoo artist have any rights to their work after they sell it to someone? I would assume that the person buying the tattoo also gets the rights to it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Look toward deviantart/furry art $15 commissions for your answer. Just like tattoos, when you go to an artist and say "draw this for me" and they say "ok", the only thing you're actually paying for is the finished chunk of ink/pixels itself. In the absence of something like a signed work for hire agreement, the actual copyright of the design itself (even if you tell the artist what to do in exacting detail) still belongs to the artist.

You can sell the painting itself, or you can slice off your arm to sell the finished tattoo, but you don't automatically own the artwork's copyright in order to sell newly made copies of the piece

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

PaleInkedBoy posted:

#kittytattoos leaves something dead on your front step:

(I feel like I could love the last one if I had context).

Here ya go

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not My Leg posted:

Here's a link, but Mulva is basically right about the substance of the suit.

Section 106(5) addresses the copyright holder's exclusive right to publicly display graphic works.

Technically, I don't think it's an element of infringement that the use was commercial, only that it was a non-permitted public display, but the commercial use does factor into the fair use defense and likely factors into damages for infringement.

Very interesting, thank you.

Does the person on whose body the tattoo appears have a license/right to public display? Could the tattoo artist prevent them from wearing short sleeves in public? From appearing in a movie with short sleeves? Neither of those seem like likely outcomes of a suit, to me. It's interesting that the wearer wasn't named in the suit, since that would seem to be the origin of the infringement.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The lawsuit is against publisher and creator of a video game, who replicated the design. The wearer did nothing wrong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nitrox posted:

The lawsuit is against publisher and creator of a video game, who replicated the design. The wearer did nothing wrong.

The wearer entered into a contract permitting 2K to reproduce their likeness in that video game. Seems like contributory infringement if nothing else.

Would it be different if the design were replicated through a video recording, rather than as a texture? Seems like the difference between photocopying a book and retyping its text, which is to say immaterial.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Subjunctive posted:

The wearer entered into a contract permitting 2K to reproduce their likeness in that video game. Seems like contributory infringement if nothing else.

Would it be different if the design were replicated through a video recording, rather than as a texture? Seems like the difference between photocopying a book and retyping its text, which is to say immaterial.

The real truth are there are colorable arguments to be made on both side, so we'll never really know how the courts would have decided it, as the parties will inevitably settle. This may not hold true if one of the parties (or their attorneys) are greedy, but I'd assume there is too much risk on both sides for either party to push for a final ruling.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The Mark of the Beast

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

he looks just as upset as i do about it.

(and wow, those teeth)

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Tedoca?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Feboca, obviously.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Is that "Brony shirt at his friend's wedding" guy?

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

PCOS Bill posted:

Is that "Brony shirt at his friend's wedding" guy?

This rear end in a top hat

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. Is that the same person.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Now you can never take it off.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
https://youtu.be/pE4hEMBYbTI

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So does that tattoo officially make this guy the most insufferable human on the planet?

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Pretty sure he held that title before this.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I've been trying hard to figure out what that before is supposed to be.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A map to my butthole.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I want to see the after when that hair grows back in. Fuzzy lion

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well thats easy to fix, just get some laser hair removal. :v:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
A woman looking to the left, she has a shawl over her head.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

McPhearson posted:

Just buy a picture and frame it. What a stupid tattoo. Hey check out my photo-realistic lion upper arm.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

McPhearson posted:

A Prokaryotic Cell?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
A snarling papillon with an eye patch over its right eye and a bandage over the left

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

artsy fartsy posted:

A snarling papillon with an eye patch over its right eye and a bandage over the left

Snake Papillon, star of "Escape from New York 3"

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Snake Papillon, star of "Escape from New York 3"

Snake Papillon, star of "Escape from New Yorkie" more like.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

McPhearson posted:

I'm guessing it's a scorpion. A hairy scorpion. But the "after" looks pretty terrible too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's like a cloud in that you can see countless images in it. Also it might actually be a cloud. Or a flea beaming up a rock in its UFO tractor beam.
I thought the lion had an afro at first. Basically, I like the before a lot more because it is hypnotizing me and I want it tattooed on myself so that I can hypnotize others.

• Locked thread