Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

I fully expect this to be on the 24 hour news for the next two weeks because it happened in new york and all their HQ's are in new york.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I would bet it fell due to ice buildup on the boom or w/e you call it. Since the entire base flipped as well it doesn't look like a cable system issue caused it.

N/M just read the article. I'm dumb.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wargames posted:

I fully expect this to be on the 24 hour news for the next two weeks because it happened in new york and all their HQ's are in new york.

That and DeBlasio kinda being tone deaf by saying, "Thank God it was not worse."

I'm pretty sure killing a bystander by crane is pretty much as bad as it gets, failing knocking down a building; yes it could have been worse, but you get slaughtered in the news if you don't acknowledge everyone like a snowflake hero.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/1USEP81.gifv

Somewhere pictured is a mechanical circuit breaker or oil cooling pump which failed so this counts right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

H110Hawk posted:

Somewhere pictured is a mechanical circuit breaker or oil cooling pump which failed so this counts right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Three-phase, you are needed here.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Wasabi the J posted:

The swearing is all censored and that logo at the end made me loving laugh; like a NBC hired a crew of hardcore Brooklynites to narrate their videos.

"Holy cow! Holy ****! It ***** fell! Holy ******! Holy *****!"
- NBC News

FELL OVAH

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Slavvy posted:

Bummer. For some reason I thought the new R1 had a cassete gearbox so when I first read about it I thought it'd be a piece of piss. A guy at a local dealer told me they were panicking because they needed some special tool that Yamaha NZ had yet to even bring into the country despite already sending out the recall letters. This sounds plausible but if it's true, what is the tool for?

It would have been a bunch easier if it was a cassette style. The only special tool I can think of is the socket for the castelated tension bolt for the frame / engine mounting points. If there were really in a pinch, a dealer could have found some appropriate sized steel tube, cut properly sized notches into one end and welded a nut or socket to the other end. In other recall related news, a bunch of newer DL650s, and other bikes that share the same engine are getting cams and buckets! As always, KTMs are garbage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Midjack posted:

Three-phase, you are needed here.

Lookup "substation arc" and "substation explosion" on youtube. If you look for more than 4 hours, see a physician.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Don't google 'electrocution priapism' :gonk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxBwAVy0g9c

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

But all the other cars were parked there. It looked so safe.

(Ice, not tide.)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Don't park on ice when its 40 out.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Great Beer posted:

Don't park on ice when its 40 out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's the story with that tractor? Didn't look like anyone was in it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well I know on my new holland at work it will scream a buzzer at you if you get out of the seat with the pto engaged or the handbrake off, but it certainly won't stop moving if you have the shuttle for the transmission engaged.

That and getting into a moving tractor is asking to be killed- those rear tyres could have half a tonne of ballast in them, each, not to mention the weight of the tractor itself.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Was really hoping for the idiot cops to get into a police chase with it. Or park to close and get crashed into.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

gently caress Focus struts and I still have all my teeth.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I'd REALLY like to know more about the broken... um air chisel accessory there.

I went to the first day of a Hunter alignment class today, and he talked about special air hammer things that can get rusted suspension parts unstuck like magic. The techs at my shop have been using acetylene and propane torches on rusted parts which I'm told is bad for a large number of reasons.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

0toShifty posted:

I'd REALLY like to know more about the broken... um air chisel accessory there.

I went to the first day of a Hunter alignment class today, and he talked about special air hammer things that can get rusted suspension parts unstuck like magic. The techs at my shop have been using acetylene and propane torches on rusted parts which I'm told is bad for a large number of reasons.

That is a snap on "gold" air hammer bit. Gold is supposed to be their best metal quality but maybe its just so they can charge 50 bucks for a single bit. Its very very hardened steel and its intended purpose is hammering out u joints but its mostly used as just an air powered hammer. When it breaks I can tell you now that it would have most definitely taken out some of my teeth had it not missed my head or broken a windshield had there been a car in the bay behind me.

Ford Focus's struts sit sleeved and clamped in the knuckle as opposed to bolted on top of it. And when a car spends 10 years driving on Wisconsin salt roads it will not come off without using methods not mentioned by ASE training.

As far as your shop, yea you dont want to use heat on aluminum parts as it can weaken them but regular metal doesn't really mind as long as you dont shock the poo poo with water and instead let it cool naturally or with a fan. (my theory anyway) if you dont use acetylene to get poo poo apart and live in a rusty part of the world, good luck getting poo poo done.Especially exhaust. Tell me how you would take out rusted nuts off of studs on a converter/down pipe with out breaking the converter flange? And speaking of alignments, good luck breaking loose rusted jam nuts without a torch. Every bay in my shop has its own torch hanging from a hose spool.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stonk:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ummm, Ummm uhhhh,wow just wow.

the don't burn your house [shop] town thread is in creative connection den of diy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Using O/A will detemper the metal for sure. Many times it doesn't matter though. If you put a torch on a hardened bolt that holds something critical, it should be replaced. Exhaust and rotten-rear end body bullshit? Open season.

So King of the Hammers happened in the last few weeks and the mechanical carnage photos are filling my facebook feed.

A Currie ProRock 60 that ended one team's race. Fortunately the truss (along with the bolted on truss section across the cast diff housing, not pictured here) held the axle together long enough to limp it back to the pits so their tow rig could drag it home.

Same thing happened to another team's Spidertrax Ford 9" fully fabricated housing, also trussed. Also pictured, but not at fault: Tru Hi 9 high-pinion ford 9" third member.

KoH is a little rough on equipment.

e: why the gently caress does pasting an imgur large thumbnail image direct url not auto-thumbnail it properly now, ffs

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because imgur added a letter to their filename length and SA doesn't detect it anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Welp, that sucks. Not sure it can be effectively fixed, either, since it would have to autodetect the corner case where the last char of a non thumbnail image is a lowercase L, but only because it is an older image with a shorter name.

Also explains why very occasionally there would be an image where the autothumbnail would explode and I'd have to fix it manually... because it ended with a lowercase L even though it wasn't a large thumbnail.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Use ShareX to upload pictures to imgur, it can generate SA-friendly thumbnail links for you as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BobHoward posted:

This is the perfect excuse to post Sand Won't Save You This Time. ClF3: an oxidizer stronger than oxygen itself.

(Every single one of his blog posts under the "Things I Won't Work With" category is an extremely pro click.)

"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively"

That's a sourced from Ignition!, which is basically a writeup of all rocket propellant research up to about 1970, featuring the period from ww2 to the Apollo era.

Several spectacular mechanical failures are described within, and basically every person named in the book is a goddamn lunatic of the best variety. The pdf is out there, technically :files: but the book's out of print so whatever.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Ouchrod with adjustable caster

clam ache fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 10, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Enourmo posted:

That's a sourced from Ignition!, which is basically a writeup of all rocket propellant research up to about 1970, featuring the period from ww2 to the Apollo era.

Several spectacular mechanical failures are described within, and basically every person named in the book is a goddamn lunatic of the best variety. The pdf is out there, technically :files: but the book's out of print so whatever.
Ignition! is public domain nowadays, so you can download the PDF to your heart's content.

Memento posted:

Yeah I'm 99% sure it's in the public domain, Rutgers University Press doesn't usually bother renewing copyright. On the off-chance it's not though, I put in a request for a copyright check on their website to confirm. I'll post back with the details when they get back to me, which I'm sure will be sometime between now and when the universe reaches uniform entropy.

edit: dang, that was quick. The book is out of copyright and in the public domain. Go hammers.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Ahhh putain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnffyjpdbKE

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The real failure is getting your super car transported in an open trailer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Immortan! It's your lighty, I think she's choochin' her last!

NEVER MIND THAT. WAS IT THE CRACK.

Oh yeah, awful shame. A1 alpha prime. Couple more rocks and it coulda been a viable toota'

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Schlanger

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Ignition! is public domain nowadays, so you can download the PDF to your heart's content.

If you prefer an .epub I've got a version I'm happy to share around!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TAP THE HOLE. PUT A BIG BOLT IN INSTEAD. AND I MYSELF SHALL CARRY YOU TO THE HALLS OF VALHALLA.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I SHINE, I DIE, I SHINE AGAIN

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do not, my friends, become addicted to batteries. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Love that guy.