Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Re: ServiceNow

ServiceNow is currently being sued by BMC for infringing on Remedy code and patents... Because SNOW was put together by old Remedy developers.

It'll probably take a few years, but I get the feeling BMC isn't going to go for a settlement here. They want SNOW dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Doesn't matter what they want, it won't happen considering service now is mostly open source and remedy is worse than garbage. There have been lots of lawsuits involving people leaving a company and making competition - unless they had an agreement to never do that permanently this poo poo will go nowhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

On the "fingerprints are bad" wagon, I used to work with a guy who had some sort of skin disease (like eczema or psoriasis, but I don't recall what he had) that just straight up could not be scanned for the fingerprint readers. We'd get good enough scans, but by the next day, his fingers would have peeled enough that he couldn't get back into the facility. Since 75% of the doors required fingerprint scanning, he was less than thrilled.

I compulsively twist my hair between thumb and index fingers, to the point where my thumbprint gets visibly scrapped up.Yeah yeah I know, it's bad. Thankfully, there's no biometric readers at work.

MrMojok posted:

You did get it back by paying the ransom. But everyone was told to keep important stuff on the server, which had shadowcopies plus replicated on a schedule to our DR site, which also had shadowcopies, etc.

I just remembered, we had a program called goodsync running on his laptop that copied stuff from c: to the DR site, and even though I didn't realize what was happening soon enough to break the sync (so we had the encrypted files at the DR site) I had configured it to save older copies so in the end we were able to restore his stuff. I really felt like no lesson was learned by any user, but they were happy in the end.

My (thankfully now gone) offsite location contact called me very agitated and almost crying when his system got hit with cryptowall. He also handles HR and I bet a rogue "resume" got him. He pleads with and stops just short of demanding I make the 100 mile journey to them if not today than the next day, ahead of schedule. I'm reluctant to do this because gently caress that place and because I can't do anything about it anyway, I knew what cryptowall was and knew his poo poo more than likely toast. I'm not going to touch so he can blame me forever for not being able to save him. He didn't put his stuff on our nice file server with Barracuda backups.

So I get him off the phone telling him to shut his stuff down to prevent more encryption from taking place. He hadn't noticed for at least 2 hours since infection, so I figure he's hosed. He even asks me to help him look at ways to pay the loving ransom.

But, that guy calls me beaming later in the afternoon saying he fixed it, I'm sure making the :smug: face. He looked up how to recover the shadow volumes on Windows 7. Most of the time CW gets these too, but in his case he got super duper lucky and CW errored out and didn't get them. His data was saved. I later have to explain to 10 people there individually what happened and how to prevent it, because even such a small group doesn't talk to each other or share information.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Doesn't matter what they want, it won't happen considering service now is mostly open source and remedy is worse than garbage. There have been lots of lawsuits involving people leaving a company and making competition - unless they had an agreement to never do that permanently this poo poo will go nowhere.

Legally, maybe, but if it interrupts their business enough to bankrupt them then its accomplished its actual goal.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:catstare:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Unused memory is wasted memory.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Ticket came in.

Last year we assembled a custom build for a customer that bought the parts but didn't want to go through the trouble of assembling everything. Insane rig: an i7, 16 gigabytes of DDR4 ram, two GTX 980 TIs in SLI, an SSD, liquid cooling for the CPU, all on this ridiculous ATX gaming motherboard in a gigantic white case.

Came back Saturday, with the message "won't turn on." Didn't get to look at it until this morning.

Inside's covered with black soot, seems to originate near the second GPU. Removing the second GPU doesn't do anything, of course. Can't figure out which capacitor blew and let all the magic leak out or whatever the gently caress happened. :wtc:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Chrome popup storm?

Comedy option: that joke program from 1999 that spawned itself three more times when you closed it. 1down3togo.exe or something.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Segmentation Fault posted:

Ticket came in.

Last year we assembled a custom build for a customer that bought the parts but didn't want to go through the trouble of assembling everything. Insane rig: an i7, 16 gigabytes of DDR4 ram, two GTX 980 TIs in SLI, an SSD, liquid cooling for the CPU, all on this ridiculous ATX gaming motherboard in a gigantic white case.

Came back Saturday, with the message "won't turn on." Didn't get to look at it until this morning.

Inside's covered with black soot, seems to originate near the second GPU. Removing the second GPU doesn't do anything, of course. Can't figure out which capacitor blew and let all the magic leak out or whatever the gently caress happened. :wtc:

Hope they got the warranty!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Segmentation Fault posted:

Ticket came in.

A friend built something similar recently with the added bonus of a custom water loop for the two 980Tis. For how expensive the entire system is, he went and used cheap no-name parts. I'm essentially waiting for a scream from his home twenty miles away to wake me up in the middle of the night as his entire system is doused with cheap food-colored nonconductive coolant water and destroyed utterly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Larches, I gotta know, did the CE ever figure out the DHCP problem?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Merijn posted:

Chrome popup storm?

Comedy option: that joke program from 1999 that spawned itself three more times when you closed it. 1down3togo.exe or something.

Java, which is just as unsurprising.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

flosofl posted:

Larches, I gotta know, did the CE ever figure out the DHCP problem?

No one knows for sure. Apparently the virtual set is up and running but he's spent the last several days hiding in the server rack fixing whatever he hosed up in the process.

Apparently they hired an IT guy two weeks ago. He was supposed to start last Monday and then just never showed up and no one can find him.

:feelsgood:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

No one knows for sure. Apparently the virtual set is up and running but he's spent the last several days hiding in the server rack fixing whatever he hosed up in the process.

Oh, and just to add to your tool belt re: DHCP, that sounds eerily familiar to an issue my group had with some samsung devices. What it boiled down to was they kept asking for an address, saying "oh no, I can't use that one", then the server would pull it from the pool. Over and over until the entire pool was exhausted. This would take about 2 seconds to cycle through about 200 addresses. The only solution we found was to give reserved addresses for the MACs in question. Had to clear the leases to fix it (or wait until the timeout period was up).

We dug deeper and found that the Samsungs were using an older beta dhcpc (linux stack) that had known issues and didn't have a fw update planned anytime soon.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Apparently they hired an IT guy two weeks ago. He was supposed to start last Monday and then just never showed up and no one can find him.
He got word about the CE and decided to save his sanity?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Haaaaaaaaaaahahaha

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Ahhhh, sweet, sweet catharsis.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I really wish I knew which station you used to work for because I have this mental image of them doing the lower third flyins with construction paper cutouts on bits of string while they make wooshing noises with their mouths.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

So, they basically hired another CE? The new IT guy is still on the payroll, right? :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

larchesdanrew posted:

:mmmsmug: These CE updates are a wonderful thing to read right after waking up.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So, they basically hired another CE? The new IT guy is still on the payroll, right? :v:

It doesn't concern you :v:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

So the CE murdered the guy after the DHCP issue was fixed in the dead of night, and is now trying to bury the body in the server room under the mass of unidentified cabling.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

FireSight posted:

So the CE murdered the guy after the DHCP issue was fixed in the dead of night, and is now trying to bury the body in the server room under the mass of unidentified cabling.

The CE is trying to build a replicant out of Buffalo devices, but is running into issues where the tech is getting full at lunch and crashing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

FireSight posted:

Wasn't that already a Lifetime movie?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

porktree posted:

Wasn't that already a Lifetime movie?

"Not without my Router"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

larchesdanrew posted:

He read this thread didn't he ?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Alright, so, suppose I can tell this one now.

When I first moved here, I worked part time IT for this one small car store that didn't want to spend much money on anything including me.

During this time I got a ticket for one of the managers on service side. Ticket stated his copy of Excel was requiring activation. Odd but meh. I hit up the store manager asking for the CoA's for the office products. They don't have them. I hit up the former IT guy asking him for the guys since he sold them. He gives me one key saying it was volume license. On a whim while doing remote after hours work, I install jelly bean finder on a few systems checking the keys. None of them match the one he gave me or anything else.

I put in the key he gave me and shrug it off thinking they were OEM keys.

A week later, they request an auditing program on the main server. A 2gb of memory server running 2003R2 and a SQL database program ready to croak. I hacked together another server for them for $800 with license cause they're cheap but haven't rolled it into production yet. So this application produces an HTML document which I look at on the server. Looks good... Until I notice the qTorrent tool bar requesting an update.

I start going thru the folders looking for which user logged in and downloaded stuff. The controller / hr lady, the manager I reported to and the chief financial officer have nothing. Nope, it's all under the admin account. Inside, I find, get this, true pirated copy of Office including an activation blocker and a key gen. Sure enough. It's running on the server too.

I hit up the manager asking where he got the Office copies from. The old IT guy. I tell him I think they're pirated. "But we paid for them." I ask for the receipts. Sure enough, they paid for 15 seats at $200 a pop. Their former IT guy shafted them for 3 grand. We have a meeting with the owner whom wants to do nothing cause if "We get audited we can just use plausible deniability.". Naturally I advise this won't loving work but he waves me off.

I quit 2 months later.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Malek posted:

Alright, so, suppose I can tell this one now.

When I first moved here, I worked part time IT for this one small car store that didn't want to spend much money on anything including me.

During this time I got a ticket for one of the managers on service side. Ticket stated his copy of Excel was requiring activation. Odd but meh. I hit up the store manager asking for the CoA's for the office products. They don't have them. I hit up the former IT guy asking him for the guys since he sold them. He gives me one key saying it was volume license. On a whim while doing remote after hours work, I install jelly bean finder on a few systems checking the keys. None of them match the one he gave me or anything else.

I put in the key he gave me and shrug it off thinking they were OEM keys.

A week later, they request an auditing program on the main server. A 2gb of memory server running 2003R2 and a SQL database program ready to croak. I hacked together another server for them for $800 with license cause they're cheap but haven't rolled it into production yet. So this application produces an HTML document which I look at on the server. Looks good... Until I notice the qTorrent tool bar requesting an update.

I start going thru the folders looking for which user logged in and downloaded stuff. The controller / hr lady, the manager I reported to and the chief financial officer have nothing. Nope, it's all under the admin account. Inside, I find, get this, true pirated copy of Office including an activation blocker and a key gen. Sure enough. It's running on the server too.

I hit up the manager asking where he got the Office copies from. The old IT guy. I tell him I think they're pirated. "But we paid for them." I ask for the receipts. Sure enough, they paid for 15 seats at $200 a pop. Their former IT guy shafted them for 3 grand. We have a meeting with the owner whom wants to do nothing cause if "We get audited we can just use plausible deniability.". Naturally I advise this won't loving work but he waves me off.

I quit 2 months later.

And then 2 months after that they get the good old MS audit that says pay up bitches.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
"Mother, May I Use RAID for Backups?"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
"Red Rover, Red Rover, send a RAID rebuild right over"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stubblyhead posted:

"Mother, May I Use RAID for Backups?"

No you may loving not

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
But it's so dreamy, mom, you just don't understand it like I do.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Does anyone in this thread know Dick Trauma irl? I'm starting to get worried about him. I hope he's OK. :ohdear:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sirotan posted:

Does anyone in this thread know Dick Trauma irl? I'm starting to get worried about him. I hope he's OK. :ohdear:

Why would you say that?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I was wondering about him too. He hasn't posted in a while. I know he was having some issues with his most recent job and that insane facilities guy. I think he's mentioned his parents getting up there in age too. Either way I hope things are alright with him.

Cheradenine
May 29, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Does anyone use RemedyForce? I've been looking for a smaller ITSM offering and had come across this and ServiceNow Express.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Just got an e-mail:

quote:

Subject: computer down

server is still not working it

Guess what the problem *actually* is.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Monitor's turned off.

Edit: because of a space heater plugged into the same power strip.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Asmodai_00 posted:

Subject: computer down

server is still not working it

Bitch better work it.

Edit: They can't get to facebook.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Asmodai_00 posted: