Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kabira Kaboom posted:

I have an extra Mew code from GameStop. Let me know if you're interested in it, and I can PM you the code. I should have known that I would be limited to one event Mew.

so it won't let you delete the event thing from your album after getting the mew to put in another code? that's a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

But if you own multiple 6th Generation Pokemon games you can get one Mew for each! And most fans will have at least one of X/Y and one of OR/AS so there you go. Though, I'm not even brave enough to ask for multiple codes if I managed to get into a GameStop, so dupes will have to wait for the Wi-Fi downloadables.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One gamestop in my nearest town was out, and the other still had the better part of a stack but it still made me feel guilty enough to not ask for extras.

I might stop by later on my way out of town but this method of distribution is stupid.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

They have loads of codes just ask. I do it all the time because I have friends who just never want to go to gamestop. One clerk even gave me four before I asked when they were doing Diancie

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Smile, be polite, and ask for as many as you need (within reason). If they ask, just laugh and tell them you have siblings or kids. Most employees are not gonna run the risk of disappointing a kid by proxy. Say thank you. Don't be a jerk about it. I've only ever had one time this failed and that was because the shop was just out of cards. And I still said thanks because the employee pointed me at the next nearest location.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I wouldn't mind a mew code if anyone has a spare. I live in a location that doesn't have this promotion.

I don't know why they don't just go "GameStop presents: Mew" then have a little blurb or coupon code towards an edge card or something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alxprit posted:

But if you own multiple 6th Generation Pokemon games you can get one Mew for each! And most fans will have at least one of X/Y and one of OR/AS so there you go. Though, I'm not even brave enough to ask for multiple codes if I managed to get into a GameStop, so dupes will have to wait for the Wi-Fi downloadables.

Just say you need one for your kid/sibling/significant other. Just ask nicely and it's not a big deal.

I have X and Omega Ruby. I asked for an extra card for my husband, who does play Pokemon but didn't particularly want a Mew (I asked first.), so I redeemed one Mew on each game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So it's as simple as rolling up to a Gamestop and asking for a code (provided they have them in stock)? Heading up to the mall with my wife in a little bit and figured I'd take care of this real quick-like. It might actually motivate me to pick my X save back up!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 6, 2016

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

C-Euro posted:

So it's as simple as rolling up to a Gamestop and asking for a code (provided they have them in stock)? Heading up to the mall with my wife in a little bit and figured I'd take of this real quick-like. It might actually motivate me to pick my X save back up!

Just that easy.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I figured I'd use my new Mew to hop on the GTS and run a transfer round robin to try to fill out other legendarys in my pokedex. Turns out you can't trade him? How does that work and if you can't trade him why can people trade all sorts of other mythical pokemon on the GTS?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well apparently in the less than six hours it took me to get back there, they went through their remaining stock of fifty plus cards.

So I reiterate my statement of this distribution method being dumb as hell.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Kurieg posted:

Well apparently in the less than six hours it took me to get back there, they went through their remaining stock of fifty plus cards.

So I reiterate my statement of this distribution method being dumb as hell.

On the bright side... Makes it a little rarer? It's a small bight side.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

FYGM. Take that, 8yr olds.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

The issue is that it uses an old business model of assuming that people will see it as an incentive to buy their games at gamestop. All it does is funnel everyone from every single storefront, both physical, online, and eshop, to a physical retailer to get a limited number of physical items that only serve to allow an online download.

It's an artificial scarcity that doesn't need to exist, considering that every other distribution method they're using this year isn't limited by inventory count. Bar the other pokemon that Gamestop has.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Couldn't they just do it wirelessly at gamestop like they did at McDonalds? Why bother with cards?

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I get to collect cool cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Couldn't they just do it wirelessly at gamestop like they did at McDonalds? Why bother with cards?

They could, and have done so in the past, but they haven't since X/Y came out.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you can do it via wifi then people can just sit in their car and do it instead of having to go in and look at all the product to buy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

codes make you actually go into the shop and maybe get tempted into buying things, and them being limited means the shop might run out and have you come back later/go to another store, meaning you have more chances to be tempted to buy something. the best way for the actual players would be to just have all those pokemon in the game to begin with, or at least have them as things you can download from home (which does happen sometimes), but yea this is just a way to get you to maybe spend money at a store. mcdonalds has drivethroughs, and it's not like anyone's gonna buy meals from two separate restaurants in a row, so there's no point in making them hand out codes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Well, Celebi and Jirachi are both via regular download, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

and others, like the pumpkaboo they gave out over halloween, but I have to imagine actual distribution events involve them making actual money through whatever deals they have in place with places like game stop

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They would have to get a special carts from Nintendo and have a 3DS run it to do that since gamestop does have wifi like McD's. Also cost less money to just give out cards plus back when they did do it wireless for gen 4 games it use to brake down all the time, clerk would forget to put in the cart, clerk doesn't know what your talking about, or doesn't know how to get the cart to work.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

codes make you actually go into the shop and maybe get tempted into buying things, and them being limited means the shop might run out and have you come back later/go to another store, meaning you have more chances to be tempted to buy something. the best way for the actual players would be to just have all those pokemon in the game to begin with, or at least have them as things you can download from home (which does happen sometimes), but yea this is just a way to get you to maybe spend money at a store. mcdonalds has drivethroughs, and it's not like anyone's gonna buy meals from two separate restaurants in a row, so there's no point in making them hand out codes

This is nothing really new since old event had to where you had to go to conventions or Nintendo events that were held in selected areas to get special Pokemon. Even in Japan you had to got a movie theater that had the new pokemon movie or the a Pokemon Center to do a event. Also Nintendo does this a practice since Animal Crossing New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, Tomodachi Life and StreetPass weekends had to where you have to visit a Nintendo Zone (inside a Starbucks, Best Buy, McD's or Nintendo World Store) to get a special item or to do a limited time event.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jarogue posted:

This is nothing really new since old event had to where you had to go to conventions or Nintendo events that were held in selected areas to get special Pokemon. Even in Japan you had to got a movie theater that had the new pokemon movie or the a Pokemon Center to do a event. Also Nintendo does this a practice since Animal Crossing New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, Tomodachi Life and StreetPass weekends had to where you have to visit a Nintendo Zone (inside a Starbucks, Best Buy, McD's or Nintendo World Store) to get a special item or to do a limited time event.

I'm fine with them wanting you to go to a place and do a thing. Hell I'm fine with needing to go into a Gamestop or a McDonalds even if I have no other reason to go there. The thing I'm not okay with is needing to make a special 2-hour round trip to my nearest Gamestop only to be told that they're out and I should come back later because they just might have more maybe if I'm lucky.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I bought an amiibo for my kid to poo poo around with in her various games when I went in to get our codes. Didn't realize until after I left that I bought a Pikachu amiibo and requested two Pokemon codes in the same purchase.

What I'm saying is that they know exactly what they're doing.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think the worst problem is that they are always level 100. I feel like it ought to be level 5 and with a bunch of egg moves (since legendaries don't get thems ince they can't breed). Would actually make them a little more worthwhile than dex filler. Granted, this is probably for children who need that level 100 mew to beat the elite four since they are struggling with their team of [starter] [ pokemon that was given to you that is woefully underleveled] [other pokemon that was given to you that is woefully under leveled] [pokemon that was given to you that you got at a decent level]

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I'm fine with them wanting you to go to a place and do a thing. Hell I'm fine with needing to go into a Gamestop or a McDonalds even if I have no other reason to go there. The thing I'm not okay with is needing to make a special 2-hour round trip to my nearest Gamestop only to be told that they're out and I should come back later because they just might have more maybe if I'm lucky.

yea events don't really work in rural areas, or are at the very least more annoying

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Nice
I can get you a code since a Gamestop is less then 15 minutes away from my house.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No I got one, thankfully. But only because we have two stores(one used to be a Software Etc.), and the second store was sold out only 5 hours later.

If they were better about this there'd just be a nationwide database of codes and then stores could print them out at need, but knowing how badly the Ness pre-orders completely buttfucked their online website they'd probably not be able to handle the strain.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
I missed the 3 day shiny Diancie event a while ago,. and my Gamestop was out of codes back then, I really want one. I have a few weird shiny pokemon to offer. I really want a Diancie, but I have to offer at the least a shiny : Spearow, Meditite, Dusknoir, Vulpix, Escavlier, Budew, and Bronzong. they're all earlier gen trades, or random finds.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So after playing these games for nigh on 20 years I finally saw my first random wild shiny pokemon. Caught a boss purple Wailmer, and am way more happy about it then I should be.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I just Wonder Traded until I got an obviously hacked Mew and traded that one for a legit Mew via the GTS. Took like 20 minutes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord Psychodin posted:

I missed the 3 day shiny Diancie event a while ago,. and my Gamestop was out of codes back then, I really want one. I have a few weird shiny pokemon to offer. I really want a Diancie, but I have to offer at the least a shiny : Spearow, Meditite, Dusknoir, Vulpix, Escavlier, Budew, and Bronzong. they're all earlier gen trades, or random finds.

I don't think they did a shiny diancie through Gamestop? There was a Japanese one in December, but that was a pokemon center thing. There was a shiny gengar and then a regular diancie in 2014 through Gamestop.

Speaking of shiny pokemon, I'm having a dilemma: I randomly encountered a shiny honedge, so I'd like to use it in fights against friends to make them jealous. The problem is it has a timid (+speed, -attack) nature, so what exactly would be a usable EV distribution and moveset for this thing? Honedge and doubblade are both entirely focused on attack and only have one special attack move, while ageslash really needs to have the lowest speed possible. I do already have a normal ageslash that's all trained up, so this one can be some weird gimmick if that's possible.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 7, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I guess you could make it some weird defensive set using Shield Forme and maybe Shadow Sneak for damage.

Alternatively Aegislash does have access to both Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon, so there's STAB special moves already. +Spd also means you outspeed Trevenant and Clefable while at worst tying with Abomasnow/Magnezone/Jellicent, which you can hit foe neutral or SE.

You could always do a gimmicky Weakness Policy Automotize set. Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon/Automotize, then coverage/Destiny Bond/King's Shield. Your coverage is limited to just Shock Wave or Hidden Power though, unless you want to throw in something like Sacred Sword to smack Aggron or something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lord Psychodin posted:

The 3-day Hope Diancie wasn't shiny. Though I do have two of them.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ApplesandOranges posted:

Automotize

Automotize

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Autotomize_(move)

Just think of Totodile

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Aegislash is much better as a special attacker than a physical attacker anyway.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So after playing these games for nigh on 20 years I finally saw my first random wild shiny pokemon. Caught a boss purple Wailmer, and am way more happy about it then I should be.

Congratulations! Did you nickname it?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I never knew that it actually reduced the user's weight. Likely because weight only impacts maybe five moves and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Geostomp posted:

I never knew that it actually reduced the user's weight. Likely because weight only impacts maybe five moves and nothing else.

The weight changes the sound and ground shake animation when a pokémon is sent in. The most important thing of all.

• Locked thread