Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I make monthly trips to my local ace hardware store for fairing bolts :getin:

You're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What is this magnificent beast?

https://vid.me/ycQM

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
XR650?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Street legalized xr650r or it's an xr650L with a fork swap

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Got another call from the Husqy dealer in Austin telling me to "call them around the first of the year to secure my spot in line." It sounds like there is about 10 people who want the bike including myself and they can't make a line because they're retarded.

We'll see what happens. I'll probably call once a day starting Jan 1 to see if I can get on the list. If I can't, I may look for a used 690SMC.

Hey Xylopagus, have you heard any updates on the 701? The two dealers closest to me are still saying they know nothing about it.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I was talking to a dealer who said the US is getting the supermoto version and it might be available in april.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What is the best way to switch my 400SM to full off-road mode? Should I just get a set of the 400E wheels? Would I need to change the brakes?

edit: What is the difference between inverted and non-inverted forks on the SM and S models?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 10, 2016

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

What is the best way to switch my 400SM to full off-road mode? Should I just get a set of the 400E wheels? Would I need to change the brakes?

Getting some E wheels would be the easiest/cheapest thing to do. Your brake calipers are fine, but you might want an extra pair of rotors just so you don't have to screw with that every time you swap wheels. Maybe a set of dirt pads too, idk.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
E Wheels, extra rotors, and some EBC MXS pads.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

E Wheels, extra rotors, and some EBC MXS pads.

this.

S vs SM forks. Open bath cartridge vs twin tube cartridge.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

this.

S vs SM forks. Open bath cartridge vs twin tube cartridge.

Is there that much of a difference between the forks that it's worth changing?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
If yours are SM forks, just run them. they're better. FWIW though for novice/intermediate riders the fork tech isn't gonna matter. Just spend the $ on valving/springs.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

Is there that much of a difference between the forks that it's worth changing?

Nope.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Just buy a second moto for dirt.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, also consider just buying a used WR250F or something. This is my DRZ with dirt wheels and Trakmaster II's

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Koruthaiolos posted:

Hey Xylopagus, have you heard any updates on the 701? The two dealers closest to me are still saying they know nothing about it.

I need to call the dealer up, but last I checked they "might have one bike in February." In other news, I will no longer be able to throw 10 heavy at a bike come February. I may upgrade my FZR, but my budget will be less than 5k. : (

On the bright side, a buddy has a salvage title hypermotard I may be able to check out in a couple weeks. Fits the new budget. ;)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Warp9 are gonna make some forged alloy supermoto wheels. No official statement yet, just leaked details. They'll also have a set with a built-in cush hub.

http://www.toxicmotoracing.com/shop/supermoto-wheels/312-warp-9-forged-supermoto-wheels.html

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Oh that reminds me slim, I don't have you on facebook but go to http://www.cascadiasm.com. We have a local series again and if I recall, you have a husky. I'll be participating and racing as much as I can this year, as will most likely Gullous. Let me know if you want in on the action, you can catch a lift with us.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'm not sure about racing yet, but I'd like to do a few track days for sure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It' going to be pretty casual. I wouldn't stress it too much, the group that's developing so far is in it for fun not for glory. They're building jumps for the pavement sections (Rad!) little kickers, plan to have dirt sections, but also have pavement only classes, lots of open classes, knobbies class, etc. Something for everyone.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

It' going to be pretty casual. I wouldn't stress it too much, the group that's developing so far is in it for fun not for glory. They're building jumps for the pavement sections (Rad!) little kickers, plan to have dirt sections, but also have pavement only classes, lots of open classes, knobbies class, etc. Something for everyone.

Yeah, I'm in. I'm thinking novice and asphalt only.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

So, my 690SMC rattled its gear selector bolt off today. Awesome. Oh, and it's melting its own indicator behind the exhaust. Christ I love this bike.

e: Is it normal for them to have a wheezy sound when starting?

https://www.facebook.com/timothy.shipston/videos/10153914896367812/?pnref=story

Should be public.

Also, don't mind me, I'm pretty tanked atm.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 7, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Heat induced constant weight reduction. KTM.

Does the toolkit really come with loctite?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ktms melting their indicators has been a thing since at least the lc4 625's. My old roomie went through a couple on his 625sm.

~Heritage~

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

_edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 12, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

If nothing else check 3:35 because lol groms. 5:10 is cool too

I didn't notice that the first time. Did that guy just killswitch the other grom?! That's hilarious. Isn't that pretty dangerous at "high" speed to do to someone?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haha yeah. It was a Grom going up a steep hill so I can't imagine it was going more than 25

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah man, did you see that full tuck the guy had going? Bet he was going at least 26.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

So, my 690SMC rattled its gear selector bolt off today. Awesome. Oh, and it's melting its own indicator behind the exhaust. Christ I love this bike.

e: Is it normal for them to have a wheezy sound when starting?

https://www.facebook.com/timothy.shipston/videos/10153914896367812/?pnref=story

Should be public.

Also, don't mind me, I'm pretty tanked atm.

That weezy sound is a little strange, I don't remember mine making that noise. Maybe pop the starter off and look for weird wear, inspect the connections, etc?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks, I didn't think it was normal.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Mine makes that noise occasionally. Pretty sure it's the starter failing to engage properly. If it makes the noise I just release the starter button and re-engage and it's fine.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Ya'll see this? Looks pretty cool. Expensive, but that's a given.

http://www.altamotors.co/machine/redshift-sm/

http://racerxonline.com/2016/02/07/redux-the-future-just-got-here-part-2?utm_medium=RSS&utm_source=Feed&utm_campaign=Racer+X+Online

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'll never understand people paying $10k + for a loving sumo, something you're expected to crash multiple times

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Can't put a price on awesome my friend.

And thanks re: noise. It only does it randomly, so I wasn't too worried about it. I'll take a look at it like z3n said on my next days off.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Sounds like it could be a slipping sprag clutch, like others have said.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Certain/all ktms are known for sprag clutch wonkiness anyway aren't they??

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What kind of sadistic gently caress designed the rear brake on this loving bike. Putting the rear wheel back on is the biggest pain in the rear end of any bike I've ever come across. Such a stupid loving oval office of a design.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

What kind of sadistic gently caress designed the rear brake on this loving bike. Putting the rear wheel back on is the biggest pain in the rear end of any bike I've ever come across. Such a stupid loving oval office of a design.

What kind of bike is it? A couple of zipties around the brake caliper / swingarm to lock it in place while you get everything lined up is a life saver.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

What kind of bike is it? A couple of zipties around the brake caliper / swingarm to lock it in place while you get everything lined up is a life saver.

690SMC. I got it, it's just the worlds biggest pain in the rear end lining up the brake pads with the disc then getting it on. They don't actually lock into place, both pads just sort of hang there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeahhhh, I usually push the piston(s) in all the way. If it's being a pain in the rear end I will run skinny zipties in there to hold the pads against either side.

Captive spacers are the poo poo, too.

• Locked thread