Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

How are u posted:

Samog forgot to put throne defenders on all of the thrones for this game, so the Throne of Splendor very likely was only guarded by some wolf tribe warriors.

Oops!

it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
this is dominions the way it was meant to be played

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

EAsucks has ended and the mighty nation of not china is victorious. I won this game by being king shitlord and because Iloveu AI'd.

I took this dude here as my god.

F9 for obvious wot5e shenanigans and for ancestor ghosts, who will be central for me later. Heat 3 because niefelheim is in the game and because I am planning on dropping eternal pyre with my god and spamming demons of heavenly fires, which have fire power and heat aura. Though the ancestor ghosts did end up being critical the rest was actually barely relevant because the game ended up funny and good.

Here's the map and start positions

In the early game Arcos was rushed down by Xibalba, Hel by Niefels, Ur by TNN and Vanheim by Fomoria because kitfox. Iloveu's Fomoria was by far the largest at this point and as such started getting attacked by multiple people including Ulm and Niefels. Xibalba was also massive and Caelum plus myself conspired to destroy him, which actually happened very quickly. Xib tried the raid thing only to be hit by my teleporting god, who I put a crystal coin on with a script of (fire shield). I took the bulk of Xibs provinces east of and around his cap, and Caelum sieged his forts before he AId. At this point I had a vertical strip of land wrapping around the world and was very large.

Machaka attacked me and was mostly owned without inflicting real damage because Decrepus took an n9 bless for lion warriors with turmoil scales, got zero luck events and had the shittiest low income area of the map making him functionally bankrupt. He peaced out quickly and then I restarted the war a few turns later after Xib was locked down because I knew he couldn't stop me. Caelum then turned on me as expected and managed to get up to the fort southwest of my cap, stormed it and magic dueled my god with his god. Had I been paying attention I should have teleported him back to my cap since I knew he had s6 or some poo poo but welp. God died and eternal pyre/fort lost. I would have been totally hosed except for the fact that TNN had unwisely put up perpetual storm, which negated seeking arrow, a thing that is normally very annoying vs TC and would have forced me to blow gems on spell foci and missile protection robes just to exit forts with my mages. Around this time Machaka deployed a GoRed elephant riding a flying carpet (which apparently works on the strat map in perpetual storm because ???) which died to 1 (one) ancestor ghost touching it and paralyzing him while 4 points of pd killed it. Even so, at this point I was stalemated since Caelum had rain of stones and I was functionally unable to advance with armies (and vice versa since I also had rain of stones) plus Machaka + TNN were also fighting me, though they were mostly in areas I didn't care about on the periphery.

Around this time, Ulm owned the everliving poo poo out of Fomoria by routing their entire stack on his cap with Earthsnake (or was it Ormr?) due to turn timer and taking all of the retreat provinces, killing his god, a pile of mages, morrigans and troops to the last man. Fomoria immediately AId.

As is standard operating procedure for me, I decided that if I could not have the world then no one could and I immediately focused on destroying it. Though Tien Chi only gets D1 on Master of the Dead and D1 random on Celestial Masters, I had already bootstrapped with hidden in snow (which you should always do as TC until you get a D2 at least). I had gotten lucky and rolled a D3 unfrozen mage on my second cast. So I empowered that fucker up to D4, handed him a skull stick and alchemized the bulk of my gems into Burden of Time. Though I was rolling in old men I did have growth 3 and a convent which I had been sneaking Nuns out of to provide disease healing in order to limit the effects. My enemies were still unable to advance on me due to heavy mind hunting (which I used to kill TNNs god holding several hundred gems in Mother Oak and Gift of Health at some point) and counter raids + defensive rain of stones.

This however, was not enough. Caelum's RoS guys weren't going to die very fast to Burden of Time so I escalated by empowering my BoT dude in air and casting Foul Air, making their one damage from mistform+RoS fatal over time. Still not pleased with the degree of worldfuckery, I empowered a mage to Wrath of God. Due to rather good site luck I had both Golden and Iron orders so there were no shortage of AS mages for me to empower for this purpose. Also I had a staff of elements from Luck/Magic hooray.

At this point, the following globals were active

Eternal pyre (fire gems for me!)
Foul Air (disease everything, +unrest)
Burden of Time (age everything, popkill, +unrest)
Perpetual Storm (-income. no seeking arrows THANKS TNN)
Wrath of God (random lightning all over, which due to foul air is fatal on contact)

It didn't last long though as BoT was overwritten and then various other globals were overwritten and recast but for that brief beautiful time the world endured the maximum amount of fuckery I could muster with globals and concerted mind hunt spamming vs people with minimal S (except for mine). Everyone who wasn't dead AIing except for Ulm, who was rather large now, and Niefelheim played by Jsoh who never AIs even though he was getting wrecked by Ulm and retarded Fomoria gem summons that the AI was launching in all directions.

After this I just expanded like a virulent plague mostly on the backs of the humble D1 Master of the Dead + Wrath of the Ancestors, a few wot5e, freespawn barbarians from my god and a lot of mind hunt + rain of stones. By the time Ulm decided he was done and ceded the win I had liches, worms that walk, vampires due to circle master event and an ever growing skeleton pile due to life after deathing a ton of Masters of the Dead who are also H1 so they can reanimate in zombie form. Was about 10 turns off from throne win and 3 turns off from casting Strands of Arcane Power with my further empowered S guy.

edit: bonus elephant on a carpet content

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 7, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Samog posted:

this is dominions the way it was meant to be played

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 7, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the reason the carpet lets you fly is that it does not actually grant flying; rather, it grants "flying transport", which is strategic movement like flying, but does not have any of the other benefits like patrolling, instant movement in combat, etc. The artifact flying ship thing probably does the same.

Anyway, that game was fun at first, at least. I learned a lot during it, too, and did alright I think for it being my first game since coming back to Dom4.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Dominions never changes...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

.is nuclearmonkee villainous

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
.tag nuclearmonkee butts hitler

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

This would be perfect if it was MA Ermor.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 8, 2016

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Why was a GoRed elephant on a carpet?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
His owner got a tacks refund.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Boing posted:

Why was a GoRed elephant on a carpet?

to squish badmans

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm new to dominions and I'd like to do a small game with a group who are pretty nooby.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
New meaning "never played vs a human before". I've been playing vs the computer since Dom2

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Think there's a new game up listed in the LP thread.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Pro as gently caress strategies here.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

>kraken

>drowned

???

?

???????

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think aquatic creatures can drown in land provinces.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They drown in air, really they should suffocate.

edit - though suffocation might actually be tied to breathing, so asphyxiate?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Owne you are self ruse.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

goatface posted:

They drown in air, really they should suffocate.

edit - though suffocation might actually be tied to breathing, so asphyxiate?

I ended up looking it up, seems the appropriate term is to "quackle".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Down on the west coast, we got a sayin
If you ain't drinkin, then you ain't playin.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I ended up looking it up, seems the appropriate term is to "quackle".

Gonna call bullshit on this one.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Diabl0658 posted:

New game Idontknow

12 players, Late Age, thrones 7/4/2 15 to win, 15 provinces per player.

Lemuria is banned but Rlyeh is okay I guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2016-02-15 18:22:44 +0100
Therodos popkill lowered
Therodos spectres increased/decreased with death/growth
Therodos slight increase in freespawn spectres
Therodos reduction in freespawn sacreds
Ephor cost 8 -> 7
Therodian Philosopher cost 8 -> 11
Mrl malus from dominion does not affect undead
Ermor and lemuria mrl malus
Dancers size 2 -> 3
Korybantes recruited in couples (limit 2)
Korybantes descr changed
Slaves halved upkeep
Polypal spawn could not deal damage at all. Got new tiny tentacle with dmg 1.
More bronze weapon stat fixes
More manual fixes

2016-02-13 23:08:13 +0100
UW units for MA/LA Xibalba and LA Mictlan
Fort PD for MA/LA Xibalba and LA Mictlan
Hero arrival limit
Manual updates

Nice Therodos slight rework, I think it was needed. Because in addition of a few buffs, there are other nerfs (Dancers size, philosopher oost, korybantes recruit, less sacred freespawn). And I like there will be a more marked difference between popkill/undead strategies and delaying popkill/alive units strategies (Therodos spectres increased/decreased with death/growth).
I wonder if the slave change affects to every slave unit, from UW slaves in Ryleh to mictlan slaves.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Thank god LA Xibalba got some much-needed buffs, it was nearly only competitive with Ragha, currently the most successful LA nation, rather than downright leaving it in the dust.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Turin Turambar posted:

Nice Therodos slight rework, I think it was needed. Because in addition of a few buffs, there are other nerfs (Dancers size, philosopher oost, korybantes recruit, less sacred freespawn). And I like there will be a more marked difference between popkill/undead strategies and delaying popkill/alive units strategies (Therodos spectres increased/decreased with death/growth).
I wonder if the slave change affects to every slave unit, from UW slaves in Ryleh to mictlan slaves.

Would be nice, my upkeep as r'lyeh is getting rather unwieldy so halving the upkeep on my slave units would be nice.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

jBrereton posted:

Thank god LA Xibalba got some much-needed buffs, it was nearly only competitive with Ragha, currently the most successful LA nation, rather than downright leaving it in the dust.

How significant are the new UW units really? I thought they wouldn't be a big deal.

My impression of LA Xibalba was that they struggle to murder-swarm you effectively in the age of plate armour like they do in EA. Similarly to how LA Mictlan is pretty much the same as EA Mictlan but struggles to murder-rush you in the age of crossbows. Also you can't Steal The Sun so what's even the point

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

How significant are the new UW units really? I thought they wouldn't be a big deal.

My impression of LA Xibalba was that they struggle to murder-swarm you effectively in the age of plate armour like they do in EA. Similarly to how LA Mictlan is pretty much the same as EA Mictlan but struggles to murder-rush you in the age of crossbows. Also you can't Steal The Sun so what's even the point

LA Mictlan is pretty weak in LA and has issues. I've never seen it do that well in that era even when played with eyes of master password advantage. Some more water stuff would be neat I guess?

LA Xib is pretty strong but with the iron bane nerf I'm not sure how I'd play them these days without getting in trouble once people mass heavily armored res intensive troops.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The meta has moved on a little from what I'm used to, so would someone mind explaining why Lemuria has become an auto-ban? Unfun dom kill assholeism?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

The meta has moved on a little from what I'm used to, so would someone mind explaining why Lemuria has become an auto-ban? Unfun dom kill assholeism?

It's a domkill nation that shits up the game. It's still not good.

Byrdman if you read this thing you should log into eye are cee and type .showtells and then message me a thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lemuria isn't as bad as ermor but why play with it in the game if you could just...not.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah they're anti-fun territory poison with the added benefit of not being able to win a game like Ermor.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

quote:

Hero arrival limit

Any idea what this means? Is it a time when one auto arrives or a limit on the number of heroes?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Etalommi posted:

Any idea what this means? Is it a time when one auto arrives or a limit on the number of heroes?

I'd assume it means you will be able to say so and so doesn't appear before turn X.

Some heroes already do this via events.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
P. sure that's exactly it.

JK said over on Desura that some heroes (specifically the Telkine ones but also some others I think???) are going to be available only after a couple of years of in-game time.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

That makes sense. Those guys are absurd.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Etalommi posted:

That makes sense. Those guys are absurd.

I'd rather the heroes that you are actually excited to get were not restricted and the lovely heroes that you can't even make use of were instead parts of event chains or something. I mean a telekine that doesn't poison the battlefield is nice, but if it doesn't show up until turn 25 at the earliest it basically isn't part of the nation (assuming it isn't a high frequency event now and keeps the old random rolling system).

Completely unrelated, but I played around a bit with Szumogliika and while they seem balanced-ish, I would honestly say that the 6-glitch is the best summonable unit in the game bar none. They have such absurd protection and resistances that you basically need to use magical AP or AN damage that isn't elemental to hurt them, and the only thing that can kill them with any reliability is stuff like soul slay. When you take into account that they are pretty cheap if you can put the other stuff summoned to use it's difficult to see them not just kind of rolling over a game once you have them. On the other hand, the first 4 levels of glitch are comically vulnerable to anything magic to the point where while I'm sure that 1 glitches serve a niche as rush defense and 2 glitches might be useful if you are fighting someone with a conventional army and no deployed mages, I think that it's difficult to picture a situation where you would willingly cast the 3 or 4 glitch summon given they are so vulnerable to any mage. Awful mr, low protection, and not enough resistances to really compensate even against very vanilla evocations they seem like a gem sink with little upside.

32 damage might be excessive for the 5 glitch summon as well. That's an army destroying remote attack unless I'm missing something, it even hits sneaking units and basically autokills anything but the largest of giant mages or very heavily armored troops. Even the 16 damage from the provincial transformation 4 spell is capable of wiping out an arbitrarily large mage stack. The only downside to using the spells in this way is you don't get the units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've just got this game. What is a good nation or era that is good for learners. Specifically I want a combat pretender and the ability to make powerful magic items. Should I pick a nation that relies more on its armies? There are so many nations and the descriptions don't really say how they play.

• Locked thread