Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any suggestions for accessing a remote desktop remotely with decent performance? I have been using google remote desktop but it's awfully slow in terms of mouse response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

lol internet. posted:

Any suggestions for accessing a remote desktop remotely with decent performance? I have been using google remote desktop but it's awfully slow in terms of mouse response.

Microsoft has a Remote Desktop client in the Mac App Store, if the remote pc is Windows that is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Microsoft has a Remote Desktop client in the Mac App Store, if the remote pc is Windows that is.

Yes, it works very well. I use it all the time at work.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
TeamViewer is always a good choice as well. I'd probably use the Windows Remote Desktop if the RDP port wasn't blocked at work, but TeamViewer is awesome.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bvoid posted:

TeamViewer is always a good choice as well. I'd probably use the Windows Remote Desktop if the RDP port wasn't blocked at work, but TeamViewer is awesome.

Seconding teamviewer, I use their portable executable for all sorts of things regularly. The remote PC just runs the file, tells you the numbers, and you're off.

Though I'll probably use the windows client next time, since if the other computer is a Mac I just use the iMessage screen sharing thing to minimize legwork and anxiety on the other end. "Just run this file that lets me see and control your computer" is often a hard sell when you're working with strangers or paranoid grandpas.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

I just use the iMessage screen sharing thing to minimize legwork and anxiety on the other end.

:psyduck:

How did I not know about this.
Girlfriend tech support just became so much easier.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Err sorry, I'm trying to access the Mac remotely. (Most likely from a Windows machine.)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I've found Parallels Access to work surprisingly well, and doesn't require any software on the client side (just through a web browser).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I get a new iMac to replace my old (mid-2011) one, will the new one be set up exactly like the old one if I point it at my current Time Machine backup after I take it out of the box? Will I have to reinstall anything or put settings back the way I like?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It will be identical, time machine backups are complete including apps and things.

It also might take a while if you have a lot of files (esp .git folders and stuff)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got nothing but time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xpost from the hardware thread as I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software thing:

I'm gonna replace the DVD drive on the MBP with a 2nd SATA drive slot and put in my old HDD.

How do I go about using this as a 2nd drive on the MBP? I now have an SSD installed as my main drive with OSX installed but the old HDD also has an OS on it. I'm reluctant to wipe the drive for timesaving but do I have to do that?

Or can I have two drives with the OS on them and use the 2nd as more storage. Not really sure how that works, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Autocorrect rules, but is there any way of telling it "hey, if I type something and you autocorrect it to something else and I delete that and type THE SAME drat THING IN, maybe it was right and you should ignore it?"

I feel like it's been even more aggressive since I updated this laptop to latest OSX the other day.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Autocorrect rules, but is there any way of telling it "hey, if I type something and you autocorrect it to something else and I delete that and type THE SAME drat THING IN, maybe it was right and you should ignore it?"

I feel like it's been even more aggressive since I updated this laptop to latest OSX the other day.

OSX autocorrect tries to be very out of the way and it makes simple configuration really hard.

A coworker asked me how to remove a word he accidentally set as a correct spelling and the only way I could find was to manually open ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary and edit it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought that would be the answer, as I've never seen anything to indicate customisation. Stop making me talk proper, Tim!

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

xpost from the hardware thread as I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software thing:

I'm gonna replace the DVD drive on the MBP with a 2nd SATA drive slot and put in my old HDD.

How do I go about using this as a 2nd drive on the MBP? I now have an SSD installed as my main drive with OSX installed but the old HDD also has an OS on it. I'm reluctant to wipe the drive for timesaving but do I have to do that?

Or can I have two drives with the OS on them and use the 2nd as more storage. Not really sure how that works, thanks!

Both drives can have the OS. In System Preferences->Startup Disk you just select which one you want to boot from. You can also hold option at boot up to choose which drive you want to boot off. The other will just mount like any other drive and you can use it for whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fr3lm0 posted:

Both drives can have the OS. In System Preferences->Startup Disk you just select which one you want to boot from. You can also hold option at boot up to choose which drive you want to boot off. The other will just mount like any other drive and you can use it for whatever.

Excellent this is exactly what I hoped for. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's a free, easy-to-use image viewer or editor that will display the cursor's coordinates relative to the upper-left corner of the image? I'm a Windows user, and the built-in POS Paint does this, but I haven't found a decent thing for OS X.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hooah posted:

What's a free, easy-to-use image viewer or editor that will display the cursor's coordinates relative to the upper-left corner of the image? I'm a Windows user, and the built-in POS Paint does this, but I haven't found a decent thing for OS X.

Make a selection in Preview.app starting from the upper left corner? Or Edit -> Select all and resize the selection to see XY values

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Last Chance posted:

Make a selection in Preview.app starting from the upper left corner? Or Edit -> Select all and resize the selection to see XY values

The thing is we need relatively unskilled students to get bounding box coordinates for words on an image of text because OCR failed, so easy and fast is the name of the game. The methods you suggested would work, but definitely are clunkier than just moving the cursor and recording the values.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

okay then... how about the GIMP or something. it shows x, y coords below the image.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Last Chance posted:

okay then... how about the GIMP or something. it shows x, y coords below the image.

It's overkill, but it might be easiest just to go with the known software.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I know people hated the stock Twitter app but I had no problems with it until this last update. Now it's unresponsive like 99% of the time and I have to force-quit any time I wake my mac up in the morning.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a late-2013 MacBook Air, still updated with the latest El Capitan on it. It still has problems where it says it is connected via WiFi and the domain resolution seems to stop working. That is, I'll go to a website in Safari or Chrome and it will just pause... killing WiFi and reconnecting will fix it, but this is highly annoying. It happens in the middle of what seems like using it too (i.e. it's not just when I wake it). Any ideas?

I followed a guide to clear out some WiFi preference plists but it didn't affect anything. I haven't checked if it's just DNS or if IP doesn't work at all. I also haven't tried using the wired adapter to see if it has the same issue.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Man I know people hated the stock Twitter app but I had no problems with it until this last update. Now it's unresponsive like 99% of the time and I have to force-quit any time I wake my mac up in the morning.

Get TweetDeck and go back to the Toronto thread, you dirty Mississauger.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

It will be identical, time machine backups are complete including apps and things.

It also might take a while if you have a lot of files (esp .git folders and stuff)

Migration assistant from the time machine to the new computer didn't bring over all files and apps, currently trying restore instead. :-/

Edit: Migration assistant took ~6 hours to do its thing over wifi, which was suspiciously fast for what should have been ~700 GB of my lovely files. Full restore from backup (cmd+r at reboot) estimated ~50 hours over wifi, later updated to ~20 hours over Ethernet which is more believable IMO.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 6, 2016

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any recommendations for a file transfer management app kind of thing?

I have a completely full 2TB external hard drive and I want to copy the contents over to a new 5GB external drive. Trying to do it in Finder.app makes my system grind to a halt and it's not possible to tell which files it's trying to copy at any one point in time. Wonder if there's anything more robust and informative that could do the job.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

terminal

use rsync with progress or progress2

google it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good luck getting 2TB into a 5gb drive :mrgw:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gonna need to couple that with a compression app.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

OSX autocorrect tries to be very out of the way and it makes simple configuration really hard.

A coworker asked me how to remove a word he accidentally set as a correct spelling and the only way I could find was to manually open ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary and edit it.

You just highlight the word and right click and choose "Unlearn spelling"

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kim jong-illin posted:

Any recommendations for a file transfer management app kind of thing?

I have a completely full 2TB external hard drive and I want to copy the contents over to a new 5GB external drive. Trying to do it in Finder.app makes my system grind to a halt and it's not possible to tell which files it's trying to copy at any one point in time. Wonder if there's anything more robust and informative that could do the job.
You can also look at CarbonCopyCloner if you want something with a GUI. It's basically just a frontend for rsync and it costs money but it's one of the best file transfer programs I've used on OS X.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Safari is garbage, right? I'm using my girlfriend's iPad and surfing with Safari is painful due to ads, is there an ad blocker that goons recommend? Or what should we use as a browser on a second generation iPad? Thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

jet sanchEz posted:

Safari is garbage, right? I'm using my girlfriend's iPad and surfing with Safari is painful due to ads, is there an ad blocker that goons recommend? Or what should we use as a browser on a second generation iPad? Thanks.

The blocker that goons recommend is 1Blocker as far as I recall, it costs a couple of dollars for the version that lets you pick and choose what to block, so skip Starbucks tomorrow.

It works well for me.

edit: this is iOS, i thought we were in the iPhone thread. on desktop, uBlock Origin.

edit2: oh you were asking about ipad anyway. i'm hung over, screw you. yeah 1blocker.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 7, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jet sanchEz posted:

Not at all. It might not have "power user" features but it's fast and smooth and generally works well for most use cases on mobile.

Your girlfriend is out of luck regarding ad blockers though because they only run on 64 bit devices. So like, 5S and up and iPad Air and up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pivo posted:

edit: this is iOS, i thought we were in the iPhone thread. on desktop, uBlock Origin.

This doesn't exist on Safari OS X unless it came out very recently.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

This doesn't exist on Safari OS X unless it came out very recently.

Yeah, Safari OS X doesn't have uBlock Origin apparently but does have uBlock although I'd go with Adblock Plus. Dude was asking about iPad though.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac question: Does anyone know how to remove the timestamps and author name from comments?

Apparently there is or used to be a "Remove personal info from file on save" option that does it, but I can't find it anywhere. The "security" page in preferences only has like 3 options.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/83727/how-do-i-remove-or-alter-timestamps-from-word-2011-mac-office-tracked-changes

Lots of people talking about an "Inspect Document" option, but again I can't find that anywhere.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fuf posted:

Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac question: Does anyone know how to remove the timestamps and author name from comments?

Apparently there is or used to be a "Remove personal info from file on save" option that does it, but I can't find it anywhere. The "security" page in preferences only has like 3 options.
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/83727/how-do-i-remove-or-alter-timestamps-from-word-2011-mac-office-tracked-changes

Lots of people talking about an "Inspect Document" option, but again I can't find that anywhere.

There's Tools > Protect Document > Remove personal information on save. Is that what you're looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

jet sanchEz posted:

If it's jailbroken, minimal hosts blocker works pretty nicely.