Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mandatory lesbian posted:

they're announcing changes to the World Magic Cup and i don't care at all lol

ditto. I think pro's really like WMC but I don't care for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Boco_T posted:

The quarterfinals are over so the Big Announcement should be on within half hour I'd think

It's not eternal masters

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
changes to team unified modern mean that only one deck out of three can have non-basic lands.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
this seems ridiculous

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Lancelot posted:

changes to team unified modern mean that only one deck out of three can have non-basic lands.

That will be bananas

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
So, team unified modern rules have been changed so that every team now has to run one eldrazi deck, one mono-r burn deck, and one merfolk deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

So, team unified modern rules have been changed so that every team now has to run one eldrazi deck, one mono-r burn deck, and one merfolk deck.

Merfolk needs Mutavault to actually do stuff.

This particular format is total nonsense though - there's Elves, Burn, Merfolk, and....that lovely Rack deck? Soul Sisters? That awful mono-white hatebears won't even work without Ghost Quarters.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Lmao, they even had to clarify it because people couldn't believe how dumb of an idea it is

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Nah they totally have options, they can run affinity instead of eldrazi :v:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Green Stompy will be a pretty good choice

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I like the move to a 5 game top 8 ... but I would kind of hope to see that the first 2 games be without sideboard. It puts more of a choice on what goes in the main deck, and having 4 potential games with a deck that isn't the starting 75 seems less appealing to me.

Thoughts?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Magic: They misspoke. The WMC Unified rules are “Other than basic lands, no two decks on the same team may contain the same card.”"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Merfolk needs Mutavault to actually do stuff.

This particular format is total nonsense though - there's Elves, Burn, Merfolk, and....that lovely Rack deck? Soul Sisters? That awful mono-white hatebears won't even work without Ghost Quarters.

I'm almost positive there isn't a deck in the format that plays 0 non-basics. Mono-red burn hasn't been a deck in forever, Soul Sisters usually plays some utility lands, Elves plays shocks, the elf dual, etc., Merfolk plays Cavern, Mutavault, Oboro, etc. Mono-green Stompy I THINK plays Nykthos and also isn't a real deck.

Wow what a stupid idea.

Edit: Or they're idiots and don't know how to get a basic idea across properly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Unified Modern seems dumb.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
OK, it was just a misspoken thing from Rich. It's regular unified rules. All decks can play nonbasics.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
oh they just clarified, for some reason the wording of the official announcement that was planned in advance on the official magic stream was wrong

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Lol so apparently despite having what she said reiterated back to her and confirming it, I'm hearing that the 'only basics in two decks' thing is not actually the case and is going to be re-clarified. Helene is an idiot.

Edit: beaten

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

"Magic: They misspoke. The WMC Unified rules are “Other than basic lands, no two decks on the same team may contain the same card.”"

Much better. Also entirely pointless. The only thing this stops is being able to split your fixing correct which is insanely marginal, and it helps decks that need to dodge certain sideboard hate like Affinity.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
literal lol that their planned announcement was apparently completely wrong

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Here you go here is the big announcement GOTCHA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder what it's like working within Wizards, if what we see out of them is their consumer-facing effort. Like if what we see is them making their best effort to communicate and sell to us, how sloppy are they when no one else is watching?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
LSV losing game one in like 3 seconds

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mandatory lesbian posted:

they're announcing changes to the World Magic Cup and i don't care at all lol

You mean because it applies to basically the people who played in the PT and not anyone else?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wow.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
didn't one of those loving slides even say that only one deck could have non-basics, how the gently caress do you mess up that bad

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lancelot posted:

LSV losing game one in like 3 seconds

Hey is this land tapping for 6 mana on turn 1 fair? Seems fair, right?

I said they should have banned Eye. They didn't listen.

They didn't listen!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wurzag posted:

Lol so apparently despite having what she said reiterated back to her and confirming it, I'm hearing that the 'only basics in two decks' thing is not actually the case and is going to be re-clarified. Helene is an idiot.

Edit: beaten

Idk about idiot, but it makes me think she doesn't understand very much about the game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I don't have anything against Helene at all, but I find it bizzare that Wizards main consumer-facing mouthpiece speaks with such heavily accented English that she is sometimes nearly impossible to understand, especially over phone/Skype when she's on podcasts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You mean because it applies to basically the people who played in the PT and not anyone else?

yeah pretty much, they could have just had it as an announcement on the main site and not wasted 15 minutes telling wrong info anyway

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/696392199555149825

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

maybe for Americans but in cool and good countries the WMC is an attainable goal

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Lol R&D originally had Reality Smasher cost CCCC.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah, oddly enough, while WMC and WMCQs are a pretty lovely replacement for the Worlds, Nationals weekend and the Nationals qualifiers circuit in a small country like Finland, now with the PTQ changes they are pretty much the last remaining "official" tournaments with any relevant prize (WMCQ team slot) that you actually can play in without having to book a weekend abroad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They did say the next 'Inside R&D' would be about SoI, so we'll probably get a few spoilers and some idea what the set is about

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LSV eot pitches SSG, tutor's up Thought-Knot, draws Reality Smasher, plays Thought-Knot takes Drowner of Hope.

Savage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Simian Spirit Guide for surprise Eye of Ugin activation EOT! :vince:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

LSV eot pitches SSG, tutor's up Thought-Knot, draws Reality Smasher, plays Thought-Knot takes Drowner of Hope.

Savage.

you missed the first part of that, where JC Tao had to mainphase play eye and kill his old eye to tutor up that drowner.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
LSV is just good at loving Magic.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Go lsv go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That was a pretty epic game there.

• Locked thread