Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

The only other company I know that disables video comments is Games Workshop.

Square Enix disables comments on their FFXIV videos but I assume that is more a cultural thing. God knows they don't have to prove anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bale. posted:

Holy poo poo. How? How do they keep going?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Cjd6H6RmY

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Holy gently caress.

"The closer you get to the final moments of the characters life the more valuable the picture will be and it would also be a criterion for an NPC news agency for selecting one image over another."

Guess which backer photo will make it to your local TV news!

"Main hurdles are server storage space and the need for an automatic tagging system in order to assign a value to photos."

Yes, those are just the two main hurdles.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There was a photo minigame in MGS2. Are you trying to imply that CRobber is a worse game designer than Kojima by doubting that he can create one too? :colbert:

Obviously, everyone wants to play Fatal Citizen Frame.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Who the hell looks at a game promising ship-to-ship combat, first person shooter combat and a universe to explore but thinks "I want to be a photographer"? That's like going into the latest Madden title and saying "This football stuff is all well and good, but where's my option to design ballet costumes?"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etun8gf4MgU

:shrug:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I want to photograph procedural birds for 15 hours a day in Star Citizen and get paid for it. Dreams.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

lmaoo. It needs to be louder imo.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Awesome.

I would remove Derek's name from the video title so if can be used to taunt Shitizens. Derekrolling, in a sense.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Who the hell looks at a game promising ship-to-ship combat, first person shooter combat and a universe to explore but thinks "I want to be a photographer"? That's like going into the latest Madden title and saying "This football stuff is all well and good, but where's my option to design ballet costumes?"

I just want to be a peg legged pirate in space, these people are retarded

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

I've said from the start, these people do not want a game or gameplay, they are actively opposed to people playing games. They want a safe place to log into at night and forget their lovely lives. They want to stand around a virtual bar looking at each others uniforms, saluting and tossing each other off while saying poo poo like 'Space is harsh Commando' and 'Yes I agree Commando space is harsh that is why I am drinking a whisky in this bar with you by the way I like your uniform'

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ummm ballet costume designing might actually make a football videogame fun

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if u watch football you might as well be chris roberts

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Star Citizen is a game that's promised both everything and nothing simultaneously. Their publicly-released "design plans" boil down to vague notions (of flying around in space, of trading, of setting up companies, of teledildonics, etc.). They provide just enough tactility to make it seem plausible: the ship JPEGs, the pre-rendered "gameplay," the developer updates, and so on. It's a backdrop for people to project their fantasies on to and, like in the video I posted above, endlessly desire.

Even if Chris Roberts somehow managed to shovel this turd out the door, it would flop massively, because there is no way he could even approach the fantasy that people have of this game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
CIG have created a petri dish where sad old fuckwits are cultivating a new life for themselves, sadly the petri dish has none of that magic goo stuff in it so they are floundering around and slowly dying lol

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Elijah, man that takes me back...

Back when CIG Austin was in the house basement. So CR was in town, and took the whole team out to Perry's for the lunch pork special and a pep talk. Folks grouped up for car pools, and all except one were ready to go: Elijah. He was finishing up some art and wanted to get to a proper stopping point. I volunteered to stay behind, wait for him, and give him a ride to the lunch.

I didn't pay attention to what he was working on, I spent the time wandering around the office, looking at the white boards and the planning. The whiteboard in the art office was at the time littered with fungal dicks and a Swanson'ed version of Skelton stating "Dicks": Skelton was fond of saying "Dicks" a lot at the time. Anyway, Elijah finished up and we hopped into my pickup and drove downtown. We chatted a little, and he had a call from home. As far as I remember from my not-listening listening of the convo, his wife was expecting, don't remember how far along.

Elijah struck me as an angry artist. I could respect that, I too was an angry man at some point in my life. We talked about the office and how it was small and cramped, that as I understood it there were plans to move into a proper office. But it was mostly a quiet ride, I think he didn't understand I was an investor instead of a crazy backer. Or maybe he did. He got a ride back with someone else.

At some point after the Khartu concept art went live/public, and I *belive* around the Arena Commander launch, Elijah was fired, and having known the man I wondered why. From what I remember, CR sent out a company wide email thanking the programmers for crunching to make the launch of something big, which is why I think it was the Arena Commander launch. Elijah had reply'ed all angerly stating that Chris should also thank the artists for their work too during that time. All accounts stopped after that but I could surmise what happened, that Elijah and CR got into a public spat that gave Peterson little chance to protect/shield Elijah from dismissal.

The general consensus was that Elijah painted a target on his back. I don't disagree with that assessment, but looking back on it I wonder if it wasn't a symptom of something else going on.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ho Lee Cow.

:vince:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Bootcha posted:

Elijah, man that takes me back...

Back when CIG Austin was in the house basement. So CR was in town, and took the whole team out to Perry's for the lunch pork special and a pep talk. Folks grouped up for car pools, and all except one were ready to go: Elijah. He was finishing up some art and wanted to get to a proper stopping point. I volunteered to stay behind, wait for him, and give him a ride to the lunch.

I didn't pay attention to what he was working on, I spent the time wandering around the office, looking at the white boards and the planning. The whiteboard in the art office was at the time littered with fungal dicks and a Swanson'ed version of Skelton stating "Dicks": Skelton was fond of saying "Dicks" a lot at the time. Anyway, Elijah finished up and we hopped into my pickup and drove downtown. We chatted a little, and he had a call from home. As far as I remember from my not-listening listening of the convo, his wife was expecting, don't remember how far along.

Elijah struck me as an angry artist. I could respect that, I too was an angry man at some point in my life. We talked about the office and how it was small and cramped, that as I understood it there were plans to move into a proper office. But it was mostly a quiet ride, I think he didn't understand I was an investor instead of a crazy backer. Or maybe he did. He got a ride back with someone else.

At some point after the Khartu concept art went live/public, and I *belive* around the Arena Commander launch, Elijah was fired, and having known the man I wondered why. From what I remember, CR sent out a company wide email thanking the programmers for crunching to make the launch of something big, which is why I think it was the Arena Commander launch. Elijah had reply'ed all angerly stating that Chris should also thank the artists for their work too during that time. All accounts stopped after that but I could surmise what happened, that Elijah and CR got into a public spat that gave Peterson little chance to protect/shield Elijah from dismissal.

The general consensus was that Elijah painted a target on his back. I don't disagree with that assessment, but looking back on it I wonder if it wasn't a symptom of something else going on.

Poor Elijah. I'd be angry too.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SelenicMartian posted:

Holy gently caress.

"The closer you get to the final moments of the characters life the more valuable the picture will be and it would also be a criterion for an NPC news agency for selecting one image over another."

Guess which backer photo will make it to your local TV news!

"Main hurdles are server storage space and the need for an automatic tagging system in order to assign a value to photos."

Yes, those are just the two main hurdles.

Spaces of Death

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

'Space is harsh Commando'

Why can I imagine them saying it like Sean connery?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Bootcha posted:

I'm imagining Julius Caesar's death scene, but with C-Ro being stabbed by dozens of angry employees.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

peter gabriel posted:

CIG have created a petri dish where sad old fuckwits are cultivating a new life for themselves, sadly the petri dish has none of that magic goo stuff in it so they are floundering around and slowly dying lol

lol

i like that they have this game that they believe is going to be some magical, life-altering experience where they can escape their boring, hum-drum existences and do anything

and the things they choose to do in this imaginary game world : photography, bird-watching, serving drinks, mining. the really adventurous ones want space rape and indentured servants.

I used to feel sorry for them but CIG really is the company they deserve and SC will be exactly what they have coming to them.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol, I was wondering why my bad edit suddenly got a ton of views, someone linked it in that thread

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jon Do posted:

I'm imagining Julius Caesar's death scene, but with C-Ro being stabbed by dozens of angry employees.
The Chris sends his dying message with an Aldis lamp, because it's so WW2.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Six Signs You’re a Dictator

The Company Revolves Around You — Employees are able to describe you in one word: self-centered. Without your brilliant guidance, they all would be lost. Your inferiors are merely there to carry out orders that further your personal objectives. When success comes your way, you gladly take all of the credit and reward yourself with a little extra cash in your pocket, just like Mubarak did.

You Obsessively Control Employees — You enjoy wasting time by micromanaging every employee task; you make people work precisely when, where, and how you want them to. You think of your office as an elementary school classroom where you need to monitor every movement, action, and breathe your students make.

You “Inspire” with Fear — You like people to know that any mistake can be punishable by unemployment. You think the best way to motivate people is to make them feel like their job is something they must do to survive rather than something they want to do. All the emails you send out are typed in ALL CAPS and flagged as urgent to maximize employee panic.

Priorities Start and End with Work — There is no room for excuses like “my kid is in the hospital” or “I’m not feeling well” when there’s work to do. To you, having a “work/life balance” and “personal time” don’t exist. You feel entitled to employees weekend time just as much as their work time and expect them to cater to your needs 24/7.

Respect Doesn’t Matter — Your ideal image of a leader-follower relationship is to give as little as possible and get a lot back. Whenever you’re stressed or an employee has done something wrong, you don’t hesitate to “chew-out” a person in classic Jack Griffin style. After all, why waste the chance to make an example of one person and motivate the others to do their job right?

You are Never Wrong — Why would you ever admit to being wrong when you have a line of scapegoats outside your office just waiting to take the blame? You’re the leader of the company, your image is its most important asset, and being wrong is not an option. You take credit for all the company successes and pass off failures on to your employees

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

The Chris sends his dying message with an Aldis lamp, because it's so WW2.

…or so 1970. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqiUGjghlzU&t=64s

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

Six Signs You’re a Dictator

The Company Revolves Around You — Employees are able to describe you in one word: self-centered. Without your brilliant guidance, they all would be lost. Your inferiors are merely there to carry out orders that further your personal objectives. When success comes your way, you gladly take all of the credit and reward yourself with a little extra cash in your pocket, just like Mubarak did.

You Obsessively Control Employees — You enjoy wasting time by micromanaging every employee task; you make people work precisely when, where, and how you want them to. You think of your office as an elementary school classroom where you need to monitor every movement, action, and breathe your students make.

You “Inspire” with Fear — You like people to know that any mistake can be punishable by unemployment. You think the best way to motivate people is to make them feel like their job is something they must do to survive rather than something they want to do. All the emails you send out are typed in ALL CAPS and flagged as urgent to maximize employee panic.

Priorities Start and End with Work — There is no room for excuses like “my kid is in the hospital” or “I’m not feeling well” when there’s work to do. To you, having a “work/life balance” and “personal time” don’t exist. You feel entitled to employees weekend time just as much as their work time and expect them to cater to your needs 24/7.

Respect Doesn’t Matter — Your ideal image of a leader-follower relationship is to give as little as possible and get a lot back. Whenever you’re stressed or an employee has done something wrong, you don’t hesitate to “chew-out” a person in classic Jack Griffin style. After all, why waste the chance to make an example of one person and motivate the others to do their job right?

You are Never Wrong — Why would you ever admit to being wrong when you have a line of scapegoats outside your office just waiting to take the blame? You’re the leader of the company, your image is its most important asset, and being wrong is not an option. You take credit for all the company successes and pass off failures on to your employees
Star Citizen: The dual dictatorship

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Oh man.. this is freaking hilarious.

This is why i think this thread is the best on SA. The comedy that comes out of it is amazing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ThoughtBomb posted:

Forgive Me...

Ahahaha, Perfect!
Holy poo poo! Also perfect!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:bravo:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Karl is posting in that thread and he's still real mad.

Come back here Karl, to your home.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I didn't watch that versebusters thing but it sounds like it proves once again that cig obsessively reads a single thread on a comedy forum and is freaking out about it irl

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Google Butt posted:

I didn't watch that versebusters thing but it sounds like it proves once again that cig obsessively reads a single thread on a comedy forum and is freaking out about it irl

You should watch it, it proves a lot more than that!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BluestreakBTHR posted:

It's from a few months back. Found it tucked away in a folder, thought it appropriate to bring it back in.

-edit-
I also have the same image with comments... not sure I want to post that, yet, because it may have been part of a private thread.

Didn't this also have one of the comments be from Michael Morlan, who had also departed CIG. And his was none too flattering as well.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Iglocska posted:

You should watch it, it proves a lot more than that!

Sorry I can't.. I physically can't bring myself to watch anything they produce because it's so incredibly forced and corny

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the only thing motivating the completion of living nightmare star citizen is to prove derek smart and the SA forums wrong.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the only thing motivating the completion of living nightmare star citizen is to prove derek smart and the SA forums wrong.

Does that mean the SA forums and Derek Smart are saving PC gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

…but that would mean goons win, and we can't have that now can we?

• Locked thread