Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

amusinginquiry posted:

Whats tribbing

Tribology is the science of contact and friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

notZaar posted:

Tribology is the science of contact and friction.

i bet your mom is professor emerita

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Invoking the speech patterns and mannerisms of the character Joey Tribbiani from Friends.

Person 1 - "Heyyyyy, how you doin'?"
Person 2 - "Oh man, classic Tribbing!"

if you get stoned before then you can tribb whilst tribbing balls

"how you doing"
"hahhhh"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
tribbings where u rub pussys

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Rip long nipples

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dave Concepcion posted:

i bet your mom is professor emerita

Well yes she does have a PhD but her name isn't emerita.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I know this has already been discussed but.

This is unreal.

Nearly half of millennials still live with their parents until they're 35. There's no way.

http://time.com/4108515/millennials-live-at-home-parents/

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Nolgthorn posted:

This is unreal.

Nearly half of millennials still live with their parents until they're 35. There's no way.

I live in a very traditional house hold

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

This is unreal.

If you can't afford too live on your own, you can't afford it. I have a couple of friends in that situation. Hell, my mother is in that situation. If the economy was better, if people weren't saddled with so much debt, the amount of people living with their folks to cut costs would be much lower. Pretty obvious, really, not unreal at all.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
When you need experience before you can gain the experience to get a job that pays above minimum wage often times you basically work for free as an intern. There's no way you are making enough money part time in retail to afford an apartment and transportation.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wow your american country sounds like poo poo

everyone is poor and forced to live with their parents.. Maybe you guys should move to a first world country instead

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Houle posted:

When you need experience before you can gain the experience to get a job that pays above minimum wage often times you basically work for free as an intern. There's no way you are making enough money part time in retail to afford an apartment and transportation.

Says every generation before. But This Economy is worse!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Jim Barris posted:

If you can't afford too live on your own, you can't afford it. I have a couple of friends in that situation. Hell, my mother is in that situation. If the economy was better, if people weren't saddled with so much debt, the amount of people living with their folks to cut costs would be much lower. Pretty obvious, really, not unreal at all.

The housing market responds to how many people are living out of their parent's houses. If 50% of people 18-35 are still living at home with their mommy and daddy because they can't afford it, the cost of living adjusts to make it so that you can afford it.

You can afford it you just cannot afford to live as comfortably as you want to. You spend rent money on ipads and video games.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

w/e more long nipples for me then

e: fuk might have to pay when it becomes niche tho :/

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nolgthorn posted:

The housing market responds to how many people are living out of their parent's houses. If 50% of people 18-35 are still living at home with their mommy and daddy because they can't afford it, the cost of living adjusts to make it so that you can afford it.

You can afford it you just cannot afford to live as comfortably as you want to. You spend rent money on ipads and video games.

Henatia or whatever

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A good sign of how millenials think is shown in the manufacturing field. A lot of the jobs we sent overseas are slowly coming back along with companies who never left and are growing. There are literally dozens of big manufacturers I've talked to in this region who cannot find workers to replace the boomers who are retiring. Some have had jobs posted for months and cannot fill them. These are mostly $35k-65k starting out with the higher end being maintenance positions. Also, many are air-conditioned and clean enough you could eat off the floor so it's not horrible working conditions.

They don't want people with exact skills for the job as they will train them on site, but are looking mostly for "soft skills" and the millenials they interview don't have them. If you're not familiar with the term, simply put its good work ethic (showing up on time, teamwork, etc.) but millenials can't do it and would rather live on welfare in their parents basement.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Darth123123 posted:

Says every generation before. But This Economy is worse!

Except those retail places ensure you have open availability or they won't hire you...but give you four hour shifts so you don't earn benefits.

That being said, there is something to people who live at home but they aren't saving up money or looking for better employment.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

A good sign of how millenials think is shown in the manufacturing field. A lot of the jobs we sent overseas are slowly coming back along with companies who never left and are growing. There are literally dozens of big manufacturers I've talked to in this region who cannot find workers to replace the boomers who are retiring. Some have had jobs posted for months and cannot fill them. These are mostly $35k-65k starting out with the higher end being maintenance positions. Also, many are air-conditioned and clean enough you could eat off the floor so it's not horrible working conditions.

They don't want people with exact skills for the job as they will train them on site, but are looking mostly for "soft skills" and the millenials they interview don't have them. If you're not familiar with the term, simply put its good work ethic (showing up on time, teamwork, etc.) but millenials can't do it and would rather live on welfare in their parents basement.

I've noticed this too. There seems to be this idea that the only jobs worth pursuing are ones where you choose your hours and can sit and text whenever. A factory job at 65k sounds pretty sweet. Only down side is how secure is it in a country where manufacturing is constantly being shipped overseas and which skills are transferable for a career shift.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

A good sign of how millenials think is shown in the manufacturing field. There are literally dozens of big manufacturers I've talked to in this region who cannot find workers to replace the boomers who are retiring. Some have had jobs posted for months and cannot fill them. These are mostly $35k-65k starting out with the higher end being maintenance positions. Also, many are air-conditioned and clean enough you could eat off the floor so it's not horrible working conditions.

Milennials could not handle the politically incorrect jokes and constant ribbing that come with working on a factory floor.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

was just about to post this. pretty spot on.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ChipNDip posted:

Milennials could not handle the politically incorrect jokes and constant ribbing that come with working on a factory floor.

or the meth

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Nolgthorn posted:

well considering most millennials saw how bad most people got swindled during recession since a good portion of the sub-prime loans were used to buy homes, or were probably forced to move back to their parents house after seeing their property bought plummet in value due to toxic loans in their area, seems like a pretty good use of money

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Houle posted:

Except those retail places ensure you have open availability or they won't hire you...but give you four hour shifts so you don't earn benefits.

That being said, there is something to people who live at home but they aren't saving up money or looking for better employment.

Your supposed to work retail in high school. Gain a marketable skill then move on. Which of these steps, or all, were skipped?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Ok first of all, LOL @ how you think rents work, secondly; suck my dick you old gently caress I live on my own. There are lots of reasons one might be forced to move back home and I think it's just you being a bitter old person to assume that a majority of these people are just lazy fucks on welfare. That doesn't even make sense, welfare doesn't work like that.

naem
May 29, 2011

Also the "everyone owns a house and buys a new car every two years like clockwork" lifestyle isn't necessarily sustainable. It requires a really really strong economy with a surplus of middle class income jobs for a large number of people to make that financial leap.

In past generations multigenerational households were the norm.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I worked retail while I was paying off university since part time work in my area was essentially just retail. I'm working a real job now and it's all behind me. Most of my friends seem to be stuck in retail for one reason or another. When I had a hard time to find my current job most of the roadblocks were requiring 5 plus years of related experience in which ever field - including entry positions. Something I found incredibly odd. So rather than stay retail all my life I took another loan and went back to school.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I stopped responding to people who type LOL @, I... I just can't do it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Houle posted:

I worked retail while I was paying off university since part time work in my area was essentially just retail. I'm working a real job now and it's all behind me. Most of my friends seem to be stuck in retail for one reason or another. When I had a hard time to find my current job most of the roadblocks were requiring 5 plus years of related experience in which ever field - including entry positions. Something I found incredibly odd. So rather than stay retail all my life I took another loan and went back to school.

Good for you! What starting job field requires 5 yrs exp?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

OMFG FURRY posted:

well considering most millennials saw how bad most people got swindled during recession since a good portion of the sub-prime loans were used to buy homes, or were probably forced to move back to their parents house after seeing their property bought plummet in value due to toxic loans in their area, seems like a pretty good use of money

That just means there's tons of housing available. Way more than there used to be at way lower a price. Hell you could buy a property and rent it out and make money if only millennials would move out of their parent's houses and stop perpetuating the crisis.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I applied to writing jobs, desk jobs (data entry, transcriber), reporting jobs. Anything I could use for my earlier degrees since I was originally going to be a writer. I then switched to computer science and got a job through coop.

So I guess one thing that I learned and recommend to anyone having job difficulty is that university/college is useless unless it has coop or if you know someone.

I don't have specific examples as that was 3 years ago, but going through the job bank of Canada 5 years experience was the general requirement. That and speaking French. But that's my country's unique trait.

naem
May 29, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

That just means there's tons of housing available. Way more than there used to be at way lower a price. Hell you could buy a property and rent it out and make money if only millennials would move out of their parent's houses and stop perpetuating the crisis.

Yes these darn kids who all have a house worth of money in the bank just sitting at home by choice darn them

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Nolgthorn posted:

yeah okay w/e grandpa thats why most properties are being bought up to house and totally not being used to gentrify an area, making living in an urban area vastly more expensive

unless you bought one of those cheap properties like a a decade ago when they had no value and no one had any money which is why we bailed out the banks in the first place, because they said they had no money

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

naem posted:

Yes these darn kids who all have a house worth of money in the bank just sitting at home by choice darn them

This may surprise you but anyone can buy a house and rent it out, not just millennials. In fact other people can do a lot of things millennials can't seem to do.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Houle posted:

A factory job at 65k sounds pretty sweet.

Agreed, where are these jobs?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Nolgthorn posted:

This may surprise you but anyone can buy a house and rent it out, not just millennials. In fact other people can do a lot of things millennials can't seem to do.

i mean seriously the issue is super complicated but reducing it down to 'those darn lazy kids!!!' is the dumbest way to go

naem
May 29, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

It's almost as if jobs that pay enough to purchase a home were more common 20 plus years ago haha darn these kids

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
No, you see, young people are lazy, that's the main problem.

*global economy continues spinning on a rusty hinge*

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
if millennials took factory jobs, the floor talk would be all dank memes, not racist slurs. which would alienate the next generation: "sir, they keep saying they 'poned' me. what does that mean?" and then the foreman goes: "you got a lot to learn, nooblet."

Horniest Manticore fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 7, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

"This may surprise you" but the generation that came of age and began adult life during the greatest economic recession since the Great Depression, which was caused by a massive housing bubble bursting, who never have and never will have the quantity or quality of opportunity once available, may be struggling a tad haha "darn them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

naem posted:

"This may surprise you" but the generation that came of age and began adult life during the greatest economic recession since the Great Depression, which was caused by a massive housing bubble bursting, who never have and never will have the quantity or quality of opportunity once available, may be struggling a tad haha "darn them"

Good

gently caress millennials

• Locked thread