Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mooseontheloose posted:

Too bad Spidey isn't around yet because I want that scene where Punisher gives him a full punch to the face and Spider-Man shrugs it off.

My favorite Punisher getting punched moment is still Molly from Runaways gut punching him and the look of shock on his face. I'm on my phone or I'd find it and post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Medullah posted:

My favorite Punisher getting punched moment is still Molly from Runaways gut punching him and the look of shock on his face. I'm on my phone or I'd find it and post it.

I've got you covered.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Uh, not to slam on Daredevil (I liked it, except I still think that the Kingpin was horrible in the show), but aren't all those basically huge mostly negative stereotypes

Honestly, when china has tons of media and movies with ridiculous kung fu stereotypes, and japan has tons of media with ridiculous ninja stereotypes, and I don't know of any offhand but I can hardly imagine russia doesn't have tons of media about gangsters there's really nothing wrong at all with using stereotypical ninjas or kung fu or gangsters or whatever in good faith (you can obviously handle them poorly in a way that can end up somewhat racist, but that's usually not the case).

Otherwise somehow it's somehow 'wrong' for anyone but a chinese director to make a kung fu movie that uses any kung fu tropes or stereotypes, many of which were made in chinese movies, which is ridiculous. I'm amazed at how often it comes up that it's somehow racist or something to have a crazy wuxia style kung fu theme for Iron Fist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Right, but America has tons of media and movies about political correctness stereotypes, which is what this is really about...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Speaking of Daredevil and Asian people, Netflix released a teaser for the lunar new year: http://youtu.be/xA74BNavJLo

BEG

The reception has been universally pleased. Pretty thoughtful imo.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Is it just me or is March 18th really close.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wolpertinger posted:

Honestly, when china has tons of media and movies with ridiculous kung fu stereotypes, and japan has tons of media with ridiculous ninja stereotypes, and I don't know of any offhand but I can hardly imagine russia doesn't have tons of media about gangsters there's really nothing wrong at all with using stereotypical ninjas or kung fu or gangsters or whatever in good faith (you can obviously handle them poorly in a way that can end up somewhat racist, but that's usually not the case).

Otherwise somehow it's somehow 'wrong' for anyone but a chinese director to make a kung fu movie that uses any kung fu tropes or stereotypes, many of which were made in chinese movies, which is ridiculous. I'm amazed at how often it comes up that it's somehow racist or something to have a crazy wuxia style kung fu theme for Iron Fist.

It's wrong in the sense that those ridiculous stereotypes are the only roles actors of the respective ethnicity can get. How many Asians have shown up in the MCU, beyond a cameo, that don't fall into a classification of Drug Dealer/Gangster/Restaurant Owner?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's wrong in the sense that those ridiculous stereotypes are the only roles actors of the respective ethnicity can get. How many Asians have shown up in the MCU, beyond a cameo, that don't fall into a classification of Drug Dealer/Gangster/Restaurant Owner?

At least 3?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SaintFu posted:

At least 3?

Chloe is only half-Asian. :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Four Score posted:

ugh if ever a post made me want to see someone round up and shot for their opinion about a Netflix original

For criticizing a show with issues and pointing out that Kilgrave is better acted than Jessica? I mean Ritter is easily the weakest of the main cast. She really doesn't sell the character at all. Some of that is her and some of it is clunky writing, but the other leads all manage to make the not so stellar dialogue work. Except for that hilarously bad Cage line about being inside her.

You've got some problems, yo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Even if we limit it to just East Asians, the MCU has a Norse god, various levels of SHEILD agents include main characters on one of the shows, a decent amount of extras, and a lot of doctors. I mean, doctor is also a stereotypical field for Asians, but it's not a drug dealing gangster restaurateur. Also, not East Asian, but Tony Stark only becomes Iron Man thanks to an Asian dude.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

esperterra posted:

For criticizing a show with issues and pointing out that Kilgrave is better acted than Jessica? I mean Ritter is easily the weakest of the main cast. She really doesn't sell the character at all. Some of that is her and some of it is clunky writing, but the other leads all manage to make the not so stellar dialogue work. Except for that hilarously bad Cage line about being inside her.

You've got some problems, yo.

Ritter is the best thing about this show after Kilgrave, sorry. You are wrong and your opinions are wrong.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I preferred arguing about racism to this.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Gyges posted:

Even if we limit it to just East Asians, the MCU has a Norse god

What

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Grim Hogun of the Warriors 3.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uh, he says Bang. You can clearly hear the "n" sound.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hogun, of the Warriors 3.
Howling Commando Jim Morita.
Dr. Helen Cho.
Agent Melinda May.
Agent Daisy Johnson.
Jiaying.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

Ritter is the best thing about this show after Kilgrave, sorry. You are wrong and your opinions are wrong.

I like Ritter a lot, I've been a fan since she showed up on Veronica Mars, but she just doesn't sell Jessica for me. Or that other guy. Or many people, from what I remember about reading the thread when the show came out.

It's a common opinion.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

esperterra posted:

I like Ritter a lot, I've been a fan since she showed up on Veronica Mars, but she just doesn't sell Jessica for me. Or that other guy. Or many people, from what I remember about reading the thread when the show came out.

It's a common opinion.

It's common, yet only a couple people have shared it so far?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It feels to me like it's an issue where people want the Jessica character to be something different from what it is.

Like they want her to be more like Black Widow or Veronica Mars or something.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Not everyone will connect with every performance every single time. That has nothing to do with wanting a different character, it just means the actor failed to connect with that particular person. Nor does it mean that actor is bad at the job.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HIJK posted:

Not everyone will connect with every performance every single time. That has nothing to do with wanting a different character, it just means the actor failed to connect with that particular person. Nor does it mean that actor is bad at the job.

But if we can't assign opinions binary values of right or wrong, how do we have an argument on the internet? :confused:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HIJK posted:

Yes, but this is what the original poster said:

esperterra posted:

I mean Ritter is easily the weakest of the main cast. She really doesn't sell the character at all.

The nature of this assertion is quite different than what you are saying.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I don't really think so especially since so many people liked Ritter's performance. If the guy doesn't like how she acts out Jessica then that's on him. He's allowed to have an opinion and I'm afraid that's all that is. It's not like he can pick another actress to be Jessica Jones.

esperterra can only speak for himself and Ritter didn't sell the performance to him. End of.

IMO I really liked Ritter, I haven't seen her other stuff. But I thought she did well. OPINIONS

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Kheldarn posted:

Uh, he says Bang. You can clearly hear the "n" sound.

Hogun, of the Warriors 3.
Howling Commando Jim Morita.
Dr. Helen Cho.
Agent Melinda May.
Agent Daisy Johnson.
Jiaying.

was the mandarin supposed to be asian i couldn't tell

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

Ben Kingsley played Ghandi who was Asian, but I don't know either.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

I never stated it as fact. Perhaps I could have said it differently, but it's clearly my own opinion.

That original post was meant as more of a 'what the gently caress' to another poster saying some other guy who liked Tennant's performance more than Ritter should be round up and shot. Probably I should have put more emphasis on that or at least separated my own two cents from the observation.

At any rate, poo poo is whack.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Cry Havoc posted:

They went with an Oriental (Middle-Eastern) direction, though the actual character Kingsley plays is just a British actor.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Cry Havoc posted:

guy pierce is not asian, no

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

"actually you're wrong because--" *regurgitates verbatim their bad opinion*

*farts*

Four Score fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 8, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

AtraMorS posted:

guy pierce is not asian, no

Wrong dude.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm a lady.

Or is it a fact that I'm a man, too?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BarbarousBertha posted:

Ben Kingsley played Ghandi who was Asian, but I don't know either.

He's here, but he's not here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cry Havoc posted:

He was a commentary on American/European Orientalism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He's here, he's queer, now he's over here!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

esperterra posted:

I mean Ritter is easily the weakest of the main cast. She really doesn't sell the character at all. Some of that is her and some of it is clunky writing, but the other leads all manage to make the not so stellar dialogue work.

I get why someone would make this argument, but Jessica is a tough character for any actor. She's a cold, standoffish trauma victim with a flat affect and alcohol dependency. It makes complete sense that she's inexpressive and chemically numb most of the time, even if that creates fewer "Watch Me Act" moments. (Which a villain like Kilgrave has by the dozens.)

A more outspoken or socially functional take on the character definitely gives an actor more to work with, but Jessica being robotic and antisocial are somewhat central to the core themes of abuse, trauma, and survival.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xealot posted:

I get why someone would make this argument, but Jessica is a tough character for any actor. She's a cold, standoffish trauma victim with a flat affect and alcohol dependency. It makes complete sense that she's inexpressive and chemically numb most of the time, even if that creates fewer "Watch Me Act" moments. (Which a villain like Kilgrave has by the dozens.)

A more outspoken or socially functional take on the character definitely gives an actor more to work with, but Jessica being robotic and antisocial are somewhat central to the core themes of abuse, trauma, and survival.

These reasons are pretty much exactly why Ritter never fully worked for me. The moments where I felt she did work were often the lighter ones, but she never sold the trauma and while I think she's talented, for me she just isn't the kind of actress who can embody so much in so little. For a character like Jessica you need to be able to do that on top of her more bolder and unrestrained outburts.

My thinking she was the weakest of the core cast is by no means my saying Ritter is awful, by the way. I had a lot of problems with this show, but acting was almost never one of them beyond that crazy twin sister. It's a hard role to play let alone to carry a show with, and she did well but didn't wow me.

Which is saying a lot, really, considering she was working with Carrie Ann Moss and David Tennant-- and Tennant is an actor I don't really like at all, but think he was brilliant in this. The girl who played Patsy was kind of excellent and I'll be paying attention to her in the future. Dude playing Cage got me pretty hype for when his show rolls around.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

esperterra posted:

The girl who played Patsy was kind of excellent and I'll be paying attention to her in the future.

Look at this guy who didn't watch all of the smash-hit series 666 Park Avenue.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
then what is that scene of a tattooed pearce saying 'i'm the mandarin' doing in my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

I'm a lady.

Or is it a fact that I'm a man, too?

I fixed the pronoun for you :yosbutt: