Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

starkebn posted:

don't think of it as "being off track"

Thanks for this advice, thread. I guess it's mostly since I'm still new to it all, I feel a little naked and lost without the adventure's specific points to guide me. I'm pretty new to having to think on my feet! So I was mostly trying to ask for tips on how to get adventure hooks that lead back to the things that are provided in the module so that the players can advance to see what's next. I ended up resolving it with the mayor of Phandalin giving a bounty for the return of the important NPC they were supposed to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DrSunshine posted:

Thanks for this advice, thread. I guess it's mostly since I'm still new to it all, I feel a little naked and lost without the adventure's specific points to guide me. I'm pretty new to having to think on my feet! So I was mostly trying to ask for tips on how to get adventure hooks that lead back to the things that are provided in the module so that the players can advance to see what's next. I ended up resolving it with the mayor of Phandalin giving a bounty for the return of the important NPC they were supposed to find.

Glad you were able to figure out a way to keep things running smoothly! Something that may be helpful in learning to run your first original campaign is The Lazy Dungeon Master. It helps teach how to run free-flowing games based more on ad-libbing than extensive preparation. Since you now have experience how quickly things can go a way differently than you planned, you may see why this could be useful.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

thespaceinvader posted:

Suspiciously standard corridors are easily explained by people using Gelatinous Cubes to dig their dungeons.

Wasn't that created as a monster evolved specifically to fill the niche of these bizarre environments like poorly-lit labyrinths full of 10-foot-square hallways?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

Wasn't that created as a monster evolved specifically to fill the niche of these bizarre environments like poorly-lit labyrinths full of 10-foot-square hallways?

thespaceinvader's point is that you can make more sense of it by having it be the other way around.

Then "why are gelatinous cubes 10 foot squares" becomes "because wizards, man".

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
But Gelatinous Cubes can't digest stone. Otherwise they'd eat through the floor.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Skellybones posted:

But Gelatinous Cubes can't digest stone. Otherwise they'd eat through the floor.

Of course they can. If you turn them on to the right setting, you can make any edge of a gelatinous cube eat through rock. Most wizards just turn off that setting when they're done.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheCog posted:

Of course they can. If you turn them on to the right setting, you can make any edge of a gelatinous cube eat through rock. Most wizards just turn off that setting when they're done.

There's a reason they say VV This Side Down VV around the bottom of each side.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Skellybones posted:

"Behold, my half black dragon Gelatinous cube."
"H..how?"
"MAGIC!"

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

AlphaDog posted:

There's a reason they say VV This Side Down VV around the bottom of each side.

After the delivery goblins accidentally tipped over the box, their supervising wizard disciplined them by having them thrown into the newly constructed bottomless pit.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mecha Gojira posted:

After the delivery goblins accidentally tipped over the box, their supervising wizard disciplined them by having them thrown into the newly constructed bottomless pit.

it's not actually bottomless gelatinous cubes have a limit to the mass they can dissolve before the become mostly inert

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Elfgames posted:

it's not actually bottomless gelatinous cubes have a limit to the mass they can dissolve before the become mostly inert

Okay, so relatively deep hole with a corrosive jello cube at the bottom.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
You slack jawed elf loving motherfuckers know drat well who digs those tunnels. :clint:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

FRINGE posted:

You slack jawed elf loving motherfuckers know drat well who digs those tunnels. :clint:

So then the question becomes, why are exactly 10 foot wide hallways so important to dwarves?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dwarf mama's so fat...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The standard unit of wall engraving is exactly 5' wide and 10' tall

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Kurieg posted:

"Behold, my half black dragon Gelatinous cube."
"H..how?"
"MAGIC!"

So after we finish up our 4th edition campaign, I'm genuinely interested in trying 5th just for something new. I played 3rd a lot back in high school and college.

Beyond core, are any of the splat books considered a must?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm genuinely interested in trying 5th just for something new.

is it okay if nothing is actually new

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Really Pants posted:

is it okay if nothing is actually new

Well, in a way it's been so long since I played 3.5, it would be a tad new again. Also, my players are interested in trying what they consider "old school" dnd, knowing only 4th.

Is there really that little of difference between 5th and 3? Because the latter is in abundance at any half price books...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The differences are largely skin-deep. 5th isn't going to do anything for you that 3rd wouldn't do.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

crime fighting hog posted:

So after we finish up our 4th edition campaign, I'm genuinely interested in trying 5th just for something new. I played 3rd a lot back in high school and college.

Beyond core, are any of the splat books considered a must?
Pretty sure there's just the Sword Coast Adventure Guide and it's a big ol' pile of whatever.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The Crotch posted:

Pretty sure there's just the Sword Coast Adventure Guide and it's a big ol' pile of whatever.

There's the Elemental Evil Player's Guide, which has a couple races and a bunch of spells or whatever, but the best part is that it's free.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

So then the question becomes, why are exactly 10 foot wide hallways so important to dwarves?

goatface posted:

The standard unit of wall engraving is exactly 5' wide and 10' tall

Dwarves do architectural work in multiples of 5 feet. Exactly 5'. Exactly. Every single time. Nobody can figure out how they do it. They don't use special equipment, magic, or divine intervention, and they won't answer questions about it beyond saying stuff like "we're real good at stonework". Trying to use magic to get them to answer simply doesn't work, even though it works for getting other information. If they think you've found a way to find out, well... that's how wars start and you do not want to start a serious* war with the dwarves because they'll undermine your city and sink the whole thing into the ground. It's happened before, you can even can go look at the ruins if you don't mind that they're full of monsters.

*This is the only reason that the dwarves have ever gone to total war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Unless you specifically consider 3rd Edition to be old-school (somewhat understandable given that there are people old enough), 5th Edition really isn't. AD&D is old-school. D&D Basic / Rules Cyclopedia is old-school. And I daresay that those have better design than 5th Edition.

AlphaDog posted:

Dwarves do architectural work in multiples of 5 feet. Exactly 5'. Exactly. Every single time. Nobody can figure out how they do it. They don't use special equipment, magic, or divine intervention, and they won't answer questions about it beyond saying stuff like "we're real good at stonework". Trying to use magic to get them to answer simply doesn't work, even though it works for getting other information. If they think you've found a way to find out, well... that's how wars start and you do not want to start a serious* war with the dwarves because they'll undermine your city and sink the whole thing into the ground. It's happened before, you can even can go look at the ruins if you don't mind that they're full of monsters.

This sounds like Orson Scott Card's Xenocide plot where an entire people are genetically implanted with OCD.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Crotch posted:

Basically this, there is the free Elemental Evil Player's Companion for player options but other than that, nothing official/non-UA playtest.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My DM had a clan of dwarves who got mad at elves saying "it would be easier to move a mountain" and the dwarves went and spent 600 years (and counting, they were 45% done) moving the mountain by hand.

So them always building in 5' increments is just another amazing dwarf fact and dwarves totally rule

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

gradenko_2000 posted:

This sounds like Orson Scott Card's Xenocide plot where an entire people are genetically implanted with OCD.

That book had a lot of paragraphs describing the lines on floorboards.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It is the nature of dwarfs to build stonework in perfect 5' increments. They don't spend hundreds of years learning and practicing, it's just that it's impossible to build stonework in a different way and still be a dwarf. If you ever found out why, you would understand everything there is to know about dwarfs. Some dwarfs have spent hundreds of years developing theories about why this is, in order to better understand how to be dwarfs, then they tell other dwarfs all about it. It's what they have instead of religion.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Spiteski posted:

Basically this, there is the free Elemental Evil Player's Companion for player options but other than that, nothing official/non-UA playtest.

Does UA actually count as a playtest if nothing ever gets published?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LFK posted:

"Hey guys try one of our two new Ranger playtests come on guys we're really invested in fixing this class.

Lol just kidding here have a new caster"

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

LFK posted:

I am not sure what it takes for them to say its finished, but I know at least one UA has gone from 5 levels to a whole 10 levels.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The ranger will be awesome in 5.5

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ritorix posted:

The ranger will be awesome in Pathfinder 2.0

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
THE RANGER WILL RETURN IN...

FROM FAERUN WITH LOVE

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MonsieurChoc posted:

THE RANGER WILL RETURN IN...

FROM FAERUN WITH LOVE

Followed by Goldpieces, Fireball, You're Only Raised Twice, and Dungeons Are Forever.

Edit:

The franchise really started to suck with On Elminster's Secret Service, if you ask me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What's wrong with the Ranger in 5E? Just underwhelming? I don't have one in my group right now so I haven't looked it over in months.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not good at anything that someone else can't do better.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

goatface posted:

It's not good at anything that someone else can't do better.

Bascially this. You're a fighter that caps at 2 attacks and can cast a few spells. Fighter makes a better archer, rogues or fighters can do the dual wield better mostly. The playtest stuff had some neat ideas with mechanics to let them be mobile/sneaky in combat and the 2d6 hit dice version, which would be pretty neat and also combo well with a few rogue levels.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ryoshi posted:

What's wrong with the Ranger in 5E? Just underwhelming? I don't have one in my group right now so I haven't looked it over in months.
Lemme put it this way.

After about six or so sessions, my GM asked everyone how they felt about the new system and their classes. I said that it felt like the ranger didn't really do much of anything. I used my healing spells a lot since I was the only person in the party with any of them, but there were tons of classes that could do that better, so I was having trouble justifying my character's existence.

This surprised him. "What about the whole ignore cover with range attacks thing? You use that constantly."

"That's a feat," I said.

"Oh," he said, and we left it at that.

The ranger does no specific thing better than anyone, and yet it is still a worse generalist than most classes.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I am new to D&D (with no previous tabletop experience) and my first character was a bard (actually in Waador's stolen lands pbp), and even I was dumbfounded by the decision to allow bards to pick up swift quiver seven levels before Rangers themselves can.

Rangers aren't even the best Rangers from level 10-17, even ignoring all the utility stuff Bards get in addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Beastmaster is pretty bad too. You get an animal companion with a DC of 1/4 or less, but you can only order it to do attacks as your action, so by the time you get to like level 4 you're already beyond a point where you'd ever want to use your animal companion because your own attack is more valuable and you're way less vulnerable against the monsters you're fighting at that point than your Giant Honey Badger or whatever.