Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think if IE get a decent mid-level AoE/utility nuke as a replacement it'll be a really easy blaster background where you can gun for freezing cloud ASAP, and it was already not that bad. It'd be more fun to see some more hybrid ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IE will still be very good without condensation shield. It makes a difference, and losing it hurts, but it was also a marginally useful effect that required a lot of annoyance to maintain. I'll miss the spell more on dragonform characters, honestly.

Move metabolic englaciation from the book of ice to the book of frost? Then someone, I think Dpeg, suggested an ice spell to replace ozo's armor that decreases an enemy's damage. Make that work in some limited AoE with a duration dependent on monster HD and use it to replace Ozo's armor. Then IE has to pick up some hexes, if they want to be a hybrid, but remains a very powerful start.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

PleasingFungus posted:

how is ozo nerf even a problem for chei..........

I'm guessing the extra slow is probably enough to change the flow of fights with enemies getting even more free turns if you need to move. More importantly, having a 2-handed weapon + condensation shield is a really nice combo, Chei-stats help drive up spell power quickly.

IE is a strong start, but it doesn't strike me as ubiquitous as berserker starts. If temporary buff spells are trying to be removed/reformed, then just do that, IMO.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
they should make an icy mist kind of spell, clouds of fog that reduce sight and slow anyone near them. does something like that already exist?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
On demand LOS blocking is probably considered too strong for a spell you can reliably find.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, just got myself stupidly killed by a v large slime playing DDFi^Pakellas. Gotta say, Pak is really fun, it's like playing a totally different game after being worn down by my weakling do nothing casters. I hope he doesn't get nerfed before the 0.18 tournament (whenever that comes around).

As an aside, Pak gave me two rods of inaccuracy as gifts by XL15. Is he just being an arsehole or is the description misleading and those are actually good rods?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

They do a ton of damage and can hit some big scary things that have barely any EV fairly reliably.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

apple posted:

IE is a strong start, but it doesn't strike me as ubiquitous as berserker starts. If temporary buff spells are trying to be removed/reformed, then just do that, IMO.

The Orb of Zot does not represent developer positions. Please do not leave the Orb of Zot near small children, as it may represent a transdimensional demonic and/or choking hazard.

apple
May 18, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

The Orb of Zot does not represent developer positions. Please do not leave the Orb of Zot near small children, as it may represent a transdimensional demonic and/or choking hazard.

Huh, you lost me here. From the commit log:

quote:

Remove Condensation Shield

As with Stoneskin, it's not a well-designed effect for a spell, and IE can
handle the loss of it from the starting book with no problem.

I was going by a combination of commit messages and general sentiment in here + tavern. It could very well be just a vocal minority that feels that way, but IE certainly does feel "strong" to me, too (which I don't see anything wrong with, personally).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It sounds like PF is making a funny more than making a statement. :)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Some background has to be the strongest, it's impossible for them all to be perfectly balanced. I don't think IE is necessarily second strongest after Be, I rate Wz as slightly better, though starting with ozo's armor makes IE quite tempting since the spell only gets more useful as the game goes on. Assassin is also a really strong start, in my opinion, and possibly better than IE, since you start with the ultimate early game weapon.

At any rate, I don't think anyone could consider IE weak, since freeze, ozo's armor, throw icicle and summon ice beast are all really, really good. If I recall correctly, condensation shield was broken or useless for quite some time and no one even noticed the difference.

I do like that the best book starts are the ones that are the most flexible and the ones that can be taken in more than one direction. I strongly hope that is preserved. If IE becomes a blaster background, I will be very sad.

apple
May 18, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

It sounds like PF is making a funny more than making a statement. :)

I figured, I just don't get the joke :v: (or if I'm being made fun of??)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Unimpressed posted:

So, just got myself stupidly killed by a v large slime playing DDFi^Pakellas. Gotta say, Pak is really fun, it's like playing a totally different game after being worn down by my weakling do nothing casters. I hope he doesn't get nerfed before the 0.18 tournament (whenever that comes around).

As an aside, Pak gave me two rods of inaccuracy as gifts by XL15. Is he just being an arsehole or is the description misleading and those are actually good rods?

Rods of inaccuracy are situational, but the situations where they're useful is pretty big.

They do colossal damage at high evocations. A capped rod of inaccuracy, at 27 Evocations, does 10d12 damage (a bit more, it comes out to be 12.6 - does this mean it rolls 4d12 + 6d13?). The downside is that it has to hit and it has a base accuracy of 1.

If your target is big, very slow, paralyzed or petrified, it can absolutely splatter them. Jellies, titans, big dragons, juggernauts and such are your prime targets; it also works great on hydras if you got one early enough. It also penetrates - it doesn't lose max range based on targets it passes through, so shooting it down a hallway might let you hit something even if you can't reliably hit a specific thing and you can hit titans behind other enemies to stop those airstrikes.

I'm always happy to get a rod of inaccuracy, though I'd usually like to get a lightning rod along with it for groups and high-evasion targets.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 8, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

apple posted:

I figured, I just don't get the joke :v: (or if I'm being made fun of??)

He's just saying that I'm not a developer. That's the joke.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Possibly I should take a posting break.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can't please everyone, no matter how much you spore! :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Possibly I should take a posting break.

Only if it means the massacre on Charms continues at a faster rate.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
What are some good races/combos other than Deep Dwarves to take Pakellas for a spin? I haven't played Crawl since .14-ish, but this sounds rad as hell.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Spriggans and octopuses have good evocation aptitudes and more inventory slots (due to armor restrictions). Hill orcs can do basically anything. Humans are as good for Pakellas as they are for anything else.

Comedy felid option.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Kobolds (+2) make great tool users. The lack of real hunger mitigation from using high end rods a lot is nullified by their intrinsic gourmand. If you keep to wands then Spriggans (+3) should do alright. All the rest are either 1, 0, -1 or in two cases -2 (Mummy, Ogre). Class beyond maybe Artificier to start with Evocations or choosing something synergistic with your aptitudes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Doing a halfling right now and they're fine. 0 aptitude is plenty good enough.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So I know I've read here that any aptitude down to -1 is still OK, but would that be good enough for a main skill, like Evo for a Pakellas follower?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Unimpressed posted:

So I know I've read here that any aptitude down to -1 is still OK, but would that be good enough for a main skill, like Evo for a Pakellas follower?

It definitely is.

Also, I would say that even as a Pakellas follower, you should consider evocations to still be a secondary skill--it's still much more important than when not worshiping Pakellas, but it's less important than getting your normal offensive skill online.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Superterranean posted:

Spriggans and octopuses have good evocation aptitudes and more inventory slots (due to armor restrictions). Hill orcs can do basically anything. Humans are as good for Pakellas as they are for anything else.

Comedy felid option.

Ended up trying out an Octopode since I've never gotten anywhere with one before. We'll see how it goes! Starting as a stabopus to transition into evocables when that starts failing me.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So is powered by pain good for pakellas and mana shield really bad?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ghouls of Pakellas are awesome as gently caress. Source: I 15-runed a Ghoul of Pakellas and, while I wouldn't want to try clearing zigs with him, he clowned all of the named demon lords with such comical ease that I almost felt kind of bad for them.

Torment immunity + mutation immunity + Pakellas heal wounds engine (and a huge toolbox of rods and gadgets) makes for a smooooooth postgame.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

resistentialism posted:

So is powered by pain good for pakellas and mana shield really bad?

Mana shield is horrible. You never have mp.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stop getting hit, then! It's also not-so-secretly powerful as the conversion isn't a direct 1:1 in terms of damage mitigated.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
z - the +2 ring mail of Too Many Cooks (worn) {+Blink Str+2 Stlth+}.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I tried a Gargoyle Fighter of Qazlal recently, and boy is it boring as hell.
Tab. Space. Tab. Space. Tab. Space. Tab. Space. Tab. Space.

I need some advice on clearing up some of that useless message spam, if someone would like to share some tips on making the game flow more smoothly. Open to any. I used to have a lot of optimization, but that got wiped several versions ago and I wasn't clever enough to save it anywhere before discarding it.

In particular, I'm especially interested in how to get more lines for msg_max_height working in webtiles if possible, or terminal/ascii if not.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
show_more=false is good, imo. Also nuke stuff with qaz's invocations for fun

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What's hypothetically the most DPS a character can deal? Best I can come up with is a hasted Glaciate caster of Dithmenos (Does Glaciate, as a beam, count as a targeted spell?).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sage Grimm posted:

Stop getting hit, then! It's also not-so-secretly powerful as the conversion isn't a direct 1:1 in terms of damage mitigated.

I'm saying in conjunction with pallekas. It's really hard to kill things fast enough to get your mp back and you can't auto regen it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

jon joe posted:

What's hypothetically the most DPS a character can deal? Best I can come up with is a hasted Glaciate caster of Dithmenos (Does Glaciate, as a beam, count as a targeted spell?).

Octopode in dragon form, if you want single target damage. e: Blade hands might beat that if you can get huge dex to go with your Str.

Otherwise it's shatter + tornado, imo.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
code:
V - the ring "Gikkenit" (left hand) {rC+ rN++ MR++ Slay-6}
I was so excited until I saw the slaying, and then I was very sad :(

apple
May 18, 2003

stay depressed posted:

z - the +2 ring mail of Too Many Cooks (worn) {+Blink Str+2 Stlth+}.

I appreciate memes in my Crawl randarts

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

jon joe posted:

It's a lateral logic question. Hypothetically, it's as fast as somebody can macro their favourite spell and/or slamming O and Tab. :v:

But Darox has it right, single target damage in a single action is octopode dragon if constriction is possible in Dragon Form. Blade Hands damage is still smaller even if you manage to get DEX up to the same level of STR.
Lehudib's Crystal Spear might threaten it with 223 maximum damage.

Area of Effect is Shatter hands down; Tornado unfortunately suffers from spin-up and the average case is only a radius of 3.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Constriction doesn't work for octodragon, but they keep all 8 rings which means you can pump your stats way up compared to any other race. Pretty sure Okawaru for Finesse is also the right choice there.

I guess even a tornado, the most damaging level 9 spell, can't compete if you are hitting the absolute max number of shatter targets every turn. In practise tornado is a plus, in theory pure shatter would be better.

e: for most damage in a single action, Chain Lightning with perfect rolls is probably way up there.
e2: Goddamn, assuming the wiki formula is correct (5d(pow*2/15), 7+1d13 pow lost per jump) a perfect chain lightning bouncing between two enemies does over 2300 damage, 1250~ if it's you and a single target.

Darox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 9, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

apple posted:

I appreciate memes in my Crawl randarts

The name was added over two years before the video came out!

But possibly we should remove it. It's clearly become too popular... threatening the artisanally-crafted coolness for which crawl is well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
How about a Cheistatted Boots of the Assassin + Dark Maul sleeping sneak attack?

• Locked thread