Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am pretty sure most of us know the basics of using docker and only one person in here was ever like 'hey does this switch mean docker is based on alpine now??' which it obviously does not.

speak for yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
obviously not

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not like half the posters in the Android thread have used Android or half the posters in the security thread know the first thing about security, why hold this thread to a higher standard?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

pram are you restocking the soda fountain at work because you are grasping at straws p. hard here

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive never used docker

its like linux vms that arent vms....but not kvm????????

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

most people know apt and there for most people were easily able to start building images without starting from, well, scratch.

i apt-get youre on the spectrum

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

ive never used docker

its like linux vms that arent vms....but not kvm????????

linux containers are chroots

specifically it's a chroot that is also using kernel namespacing + cgroups to look less like a chroot

see also: solaris containers, freebsd jail(8)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
docker goes two steps further than just lxc's enhanced chroots

1. it backs the chroots ("containers") with union filesystems to make it easier to manage state.

so, for example you run five copies of a chroot and they all share the same original state. you don't actually have to have five copies of the binaries on disk. when you kill the chrooted processes, all their ephemeral state goes away

2. docker provides a daemon w/ REST API to create and dispose of the chroots. managing this poo poo by hand sucks. docker makes it easy.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

someone here doesn't understand docker and it's not me

It's me. However somewhere I have read about someone abusing Docker for OS containers, but that may be just LXC.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 6, 2016

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you can run an init system and multiple processes in a docker container lol. there are images specifically built for that purpose

http://phusion.github.io/baseimage-docker/

and guess what: you use apt to install the packages inside the container. like a normal vm or container. shocking i know

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

you can run an init system and multiple processes in a docker container lol. there are images specifically built for that purpose

http://phusion.github.io/baseimage-docker/

and guess what: you use apt to install the packages inside the container. like a normal vm or container. shocking i know
yeah but you could build an image where every binary is hand complied gentoo style.
i wouldn't be surprised if that's what the
future of containers, merited or not

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
with every compile step chained into a single run command, lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have used docker as an "os container" a lot.

it's super handy for jenkins slaves

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i get more fps on xcom 2 on linux with open gl than with dx on windows it truly is the year of linux on the desktop

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
docker is also loving awful

you usually have some form of service discovery on the host, and docker running in bridged mode. e.g. airbnb has smartstack / synapse where service discovery is done by haproxy running on the docker host

so how do you find the IP address of the host so your container can access? clearly docker should have some form of API the container can query, or maybe put an entry in /etc/hosts

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/run/#add-entries-to-container-hosts-file-add-host

you run some lovely awk command

obviously this doesn't work with managers like docker-compose, kubernetes, mesos.

other problems: docker's logging solution is awful. the current only solution is that every line of stderr/stdout is wrapped into syslog, so anything structured or multiline like python exceptions can't be done, even though you can normally stuff them into syslog.

clearly, when you're writing a robust system deployment service, one thing you're sure of is that you can easily make sure that the only images you're using are on disk, otherwise your disk fills up really quickly. nope, docker just shits images all over your disk and doesn't clean them up, and the documented way of cleaning them up is racy and might delete layers mid-pull

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
docker also has the appearance of not loving caring and closing pretty major issues

https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/332
https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/2267
https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/12997
https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/6094

pram
Jun 10, 2001

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

BobHoward posted:

2016 year of spergs gettin angry bout linux containers, but not on the desktop

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Celexi posted:

i get more fps on xcom 2 on linux with open gl than with dx on windows it truly is the year of linux on the desktop

Nice!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
only one of those is a bug, and it isn't "major"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Only a blockhead cudgels his brains on his own, or together with a group, to "find solution" or "evolve an idea" without making any investigation. It must be stressed that this cannot possibly lead to any effective solution or any good idea. In other words, he is bound to arrive at a wrong solution and a wrong idea.

When they come across difficult problems, quite a number of people simply heave a sigh without being able to solve them. They lose patience and post in the bug tracker that they "have not the ability and cannot do the job"; These are cowards' words. Just get moving on your two legs, go the rounds of every source file in the repository and "inquire into everything" as Linus did, and then you will be able to solve the problems, however little is your ability; for although your head may be empty before you go out of doors, it will be empty no longer when you return but will contain all sorts of material necessary for the solution of the problems, and that is how problems are solved. Must you go out of doors? Not necessarily. You can call a brainstorming meeting of people familiar with the situation in order to get at the source of what you call a difficult problem and come to know how it stands now, and then it will be easy to solve your difficult problem.

Whatever is implemented in Unix is right — such is still the mentality of technically backward software peasants. Strangely enough, within the free software leadership there are also people who always say in a discussion, "Show me where it's implemented in Unix." When we say that the design of a Unix component is correct, that is not just because it is "a Unix component" but because its features conform with both the objective and subjective circumstances of the application and meet its requirements. When we say Unix is correct, it is certainly not because Thompson and Ritchie were "prophets" but because their concepts have been proved correct in practice and deployment. In our acceptance of their design no such formalisation of mystical notion as that of "prophecy" ever enters our minds.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Gazpacho posted:

Only a blockhead cudgels his brains on his own, or together with a group, to "find solution" or "evolve an idea" without making any investigation. It must be stressed that this cannot possibly lead to any effective solution or any good idea. In other words, he is bound to arrive at a wrong solution and a wrong idea.

When they come across difficult problems, quite a number of people simply heave a sigh without being able to solve them. They lose patience and post in the bug tracker that they "have not the ability and cannot do the job"; These are cowards' words. Just get moving on your two legs, go the rounds of every source file in the repository and "inquire into everything" as Linus did, and then you will be able to solve the problems, however little is your ability; for although your head may be empty before you go out of doors, it will be empty no longer when you return but will contain all sorts of material necessary for the solution of the problems, and that is how problems are solved. Must you go out of doors? Not necessarily. You can call a brainstorming meeting of people familiar with the situation in order to get at the source of what you call a difficult problem and come to know how it stands now, and then it will be easy to solve your difficult problem.

Whatever is implemented in Unix is right — such is still the mentality of technically backward software peasants. Strangely enough, within the free software leadership there are also people who always say in a discussion, "Show me where it's implemented in Unix." When we say that the design of a Unix component is correct, that is not just because it is "a Unix component" but because its features conform with both the objective and subjective circumstances of the application and meet its requirements. When we say Unix is correct, it is certainly not because Thompson and Ritchie were "prophets" but because their concepts have been proved correct in practice and deployment. In our acceptance of their design no such formalisation of mystical notion as that of "prophecy" ever enters our minds.

Source your quotes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

2016 year of spergs gettin angry bout linux containers, but not on the desktop

I thought containers were the future of desktop Linux, so every "app" actually had a full collection of all the libraries and daemons and so on above the base X11/Wayland poo poo that it relied on

that way Linux can continue its pathological avoidance of any attempt to treat mid-1970s technology (like a window system) as something an OS should just provide a single version of and expect all applications to be built on top of

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I should probably learn to use docker but I don't see the point right now. seems like a pain in the rear end to setup networked poo poo. is there anything to control docker like virtual box? I don't want to learn another cli utility, I've hit my threshold for the week. you can give containers their own bridged interface into the network right? unique ip and all?

b0red fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 7, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
docker seems kinda bad. how hosed does your packaging and deployment story have to be that a slightly gussied-up copy-paste job of your base os for every service you want to run starts to look like a good idea

naturally you should use some sort of configuration management software to store all of your server configs in git as opposed to setting it up by hand like some sort of caveman. but you can still keep everything in the same filesystem namespace.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

docker seems kinda bad. how hosed does your packaging and deployment story have to be that a slightly gussied-up copy-paste job of your base os for every service you want to run starts to look like a good idea

the badness is much deeper than that

the docker model encourages people to generate, keep, and distribute "golden images" using what are essentially shell scripts. it is a colossal step backwards for configuration management

they found a cute trick with aufs and decided to make that the core feature of the product

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
docker, as a distribution model, should be a caching layer. you cache images generated by configuration management because they're expensive to generate.

no layers
no faux-shell "Dockerfile"

replace that poo poo with careful puppet/chef/ansible integration

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lennart's package vision looks suspiciously similar to what the GNU hurd was supposed to accomplish (returning admin power to the users), except that i believe he and his buds might be able to pull it off

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 7, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
hey yospos I need some peer pressure to actually verify Wine in Ubuntu 16.04 will be a reasonable package cause I've been shirking Ubuntu duties for the greater part of a year now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol wine will always be terrible. Sorry. :(

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

hey yospos I need some peer pressure to actually verify Wine in Ubuntu 16.04 will be a reasonable package cause I've been shirking Ubuntu duties for the greater part of a year now

Ask the playonlinux boyz, they're pretty up to date

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

theultimo posted:

Yeah I've been meaning to automate the biweekly release -> beta package process for a while now

Other things have filled into the niche there.

But at this rate there won't even be a good stable package in the LTS release unless I do something.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

actually it's good

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

To respond to this from a while back:

pram posted:

i think GNU is the missing element from this discussion about why linux is ubiquitous and bsd is dead (netcraft confirms)

linux was more than software, it was the center of an ideology. it wasnt just about having a free unix, it was about FREEDOM. the revolution os. we joke about stallman/esr types but they were truly prolific characters. people actually believed in the mission. lol. what else could possibly explain people like suspicious dish and shadowhawk dedicating their lives to working on this poo poo for nothing/pittances?

i mean most of that is over now, but bsd didnt have the critical mass of zealots and acolytes because the mission and philosophy isn't as 'visionary'
I'd say I was doing it for the cause but that wouldn't square away with participation dropping through the floor once I had a job I liked.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

In general Wine will either work great or be worthless depending on the App. There's a very narrow class of app for which it will work with reduced performance or minor bugs and be somewhere between, but on the whole it's a fairly binary thing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

theultimo posted:

Trigger warning please

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadowHawk posted:

To respond to this from a while back:

I'd say I was doing it for the cause but that wouldn't square away with participation dropping through the floor once I had a job I liked.

The traditional argument says GPL is the license for people who want to get paid to write software, BSD is the license for people who already are/were.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
without the 90s computer tech boom linux would have been forgotten

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
look at the usenet archives and tell me people weren't ideological about 80s unix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i love linux