Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I'm so sad there are only 3 more episodes! I hope they do more in like 6 episode bursts. The first one was rusty for sure but 2 and 3 were really good. Since I caught up I've been rewatching them from the beginning on Netflix. Oh man, I forgot how great it was!

Mulder... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's been years since I saw season one, and, yeah, it holds up very well, especially now that it's restored. I wish Deep Throat had been around longer.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

All the slo-mo in all saints just makes it feel like a 90s music video.

edit: Jesus this is the most pretentious episode

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 6, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There are a couple loose ends with Fight the Future that I'm wondering how people interpret:

1) After the other scientists lock in and bury the scientist who got attacked by the alien, is there now just a savage murdery alien buried directly under a playground in Texas?

2) How the hell did they get back from Antarctica? Everything was evacuated, Mulder ran out of gas, and the ship was gone.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's been years since I saw season one, and, yeah, it holds up very well, especially now that it's restored. I wish Deep Throat had been around longer.

Season 2 is terrific also.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I honestly love how Season 2 kind of mixes the Monster and Myth episodes together a bit. Season 3 and onwards put up a firewall between the two that they very rarely broke.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

2) How the hell did they get back from Antarctica? Everything was evacuated, Mulder ran out of gas, and the ship was gone.

Doesn't Reyes ask Mulder this when they meet in season 8? I definitely remember someone bringing it up in one of those later seasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This last one is probably the purest distillation of Darin Morgan's themes. I never noticed before, but he keeps writing the same story about the absurdity of human existence and the necessity of immanence over and over again. Having a story about an animal cursed to become a man is such a great way to get at that story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chairman Capone posted:

Doesn't Reyes ask Mulder this when they meet in season 8? I definitely remember someone bringing it up in one of those later seasons.

It was Leyla Harrison in Alone

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I've been rewatching the original show on Netflix. Every episode. Up to the very end of season 3 now. Totally worth it so far though I've previously only rewatched the mytharc....

...ANYWAY, all of a sudden I started watching Season 1-3 gag reels on YouTube. Do yourself a loving favor and watch these gag reels. Goddamn they're good.

Releated but unrelated, this latest revival episode was so good I broke a social media fast and just had to post about how good it was. Apparently though some people just don't get Darin Morgan eps or don't remember them. (Certain poster who posts in the DC TV threads I'm looking at you, though I guess it doesn't surprise me.)

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Longbaugh01 posted:

I've been rewatching the original show on Netflix. Every episode. Up to the very end of season 3 now. Totally worth it so far though I've previously only rewatched the mytharc....

...ANYWAY, all of a sudden I started watching Season 1-3 gag reels on YouTube. Do yourself a loving favor and watch these gag reels. Goddamn they're good.

Releated but unrelated, this latest revival episode was so good I broke a social media fast and just had to post about how good it was. Apparently though some people just don't get Darin Morgan eps or don't remember them. (Certain poster who posts in the DC TV threads I'm looking at you, though I guess it doesn't surprise me.)

I've also been listening to Kumail Nanjiani's podcast (The X-Files Files) where he is also rewatching them all from Season 1, and each podcast goes over a couple episodes. It's pretty funny and fun to hear him talk about the show and what people thought about it when it first came out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Even if the revival had been a complete disaster, I'm glad they gave Kumail a guest spot. I imagine his interviews with the cast and writers must have revived interest in doing the show for those guys.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I guess I'm the only one who didn't care for this episode all that much. It was fun, but it felt more like a parody skit than a lighthearted/comedy episode. I suppose they don't have that much space to work with with only 6 episodes, but I had hoped they'D spend more time re-establishing the show before running novelty episodes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

It was Leyla Harrison in Alone

They still didn't answer the question. Mulder and Scully just got into a debate over whether or not it was a spaceship.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just came back from the X-Files/Minority Report prop/wardrobe sale. Managed to get myself an FBI jacket but no sign of red Speedos by the time I got in.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

There's a hilarious scene in The Walk if you've already seen it where Mulder is telling the quadriplegic soldier how and why he is committing the crimes like 2/3 of the way through where the guy must be wondering "how the hell did this guy figure this out". I love when Mulder confronts the person with a theory that sounds insane but you know that person is behind it and must be just terrified.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Imagine being a murder monster with alien DNA and Mulder discovering you did crimes but thinking you are a murder monster with bigfoot ancestors and part ghost or something.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, having watched the new episodes of this and barely remembering anything of the original series because I wasn't a fan/too young, Do X-files episodes generally feel like they flow in a too tidy fashion and everything is kinda paced to be extremely fast? Mulder and Scully have essentially been stumbling into the right answers, making even the "serious" two first episodes feel like a daydream or something. Does the original series ever fit a single story within more than just one episode to avoid this problem?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
The original series had an extra six or seven minutes to get everything in. :tinfoil: Lost Time! :tinfoil:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The original series episodes all ran about 44 minutes. The new series' have averaged around 42, so that is technically less time.

I don't know if the runtime is to blame, though. 'Founder's Mutation' felt slightly rushed because they were trying to squeeze in the stuff about William. 'My Struggle' felt rushed because it was a typical Chris Carter clusterfuck.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I've been watching the first season on Netflix, it's 49 minutes. The new series is 43 minutes.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

sticklefifer posted:

Skinner threatening CSM in Paper Clip is possibly my favorite scene of the entire series.

I was actually on the Fox forums during the original run and they were just as terrible as you probably think. They spawned the concept of shipping, for gently caress's sake.

Agreed, and also, what is shipping?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

My Q-Face posted:

I've been watching the first season on Netflix, it's 49 minutes. The new series is 43 minutes.

I just checked on my Blu-Ray and the first four episodes are:

Pilot: 48:14
Deep Throat: 45:49
Squeeze: 42:49
Conduit: 44:14

I suspect they settle down to around 44 minutes after that in the first season. In subsequent seasons it's definitely around 44.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Creepy people wanting the characters/actors to gently caress.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yeah, on the Netflix bandwagon from S01E01. It's so good. So glad for this new mini-season. I'd forgotten how good this show was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Relationshipping. Do not Google it unless you want to see the two guys from Supernatural drawn as anime foxes sensuously caressing one another.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
On the other hand shipping is now a primary tool creators use to keep audiences interested. See: The Office.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That's not shipping, that's will they/won't they and it's been used since the 80's (Cheers). It's also the main storyline for the entire show.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

That AI episode in Season One was bad. But was that filmed at the Nakatomi building?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The old school official Fox X-Files forums for the show had two groups: One for "Shippers" (people who wanted Mulder/Scully to have a relationship) and "Noromos" (people who were against a romance). They'd fight about it and create huge flamewars. It's every bit as dumb as it sounds. The mods of the board eventually gave them each a subforum so the rest of the people wouldn't have to read it. Fanfics for that sort of thing had been done before, but I believe that's the first instance of both terms as far as a fandom division on a TV show. Some ran away with fan fiction but in general it was mostly discussion to start.

Since then shipping has become commonplace in every fandom everywhere, between every character you can think of, even ones not in the same fictional universe, because the internet is terrible.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I watched Ice and now I'm confused. Did some people think this was a great episode? Leaving aside that it's basically The Thing, it feels very disjointed and muddled. How did we go from microscopic parasites, dog bites and nodules under the arms to ear worm maggots and wriggling on the back of the neck? How did the woman get infected? How did the geologist get killed by having his throat cut but there's no blood except in the freezer? How did people confuse this for a good episode? I mean, okay premise but bad execution.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sticklefifer posted:

The old school official Fox X-Files forums for the show had two groups: One for "Shippers" (people who wanted Mulder/Scully to have a relationship) and "Noromos" (people who were against a romance). They'd fight about it and create huge flamewars. It's every bit as dumb as it sounds. The mods of the board eventually gave them each a subforum so the rest of the people wouldn't have to read it. Fanfics for that sort of thing had been done before, but I believe that's the first instance of both terms as far as a fandom division on a TV show. Some ran away with fan fiction but in general it was mostly discussion to start.

Since then shipping has become commonplace in every fandom everywhere, between every character you can think of, even ones not in the same fictional universe, because the internet is terrible.

Pretty much the same things happened on Star Trek usenet newsgroups and BBSs earlier. X-files didn't invent this stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

My Q-Face posted:

I watched Ice and now I'm confused. Did some people think this was a great episode? Leaving aside that it's basically The Thing, it feels very disjointed and muddled. How did we go from microscopic parasites, dog bites and nodules under the arms to ear worm maggots and wriggling on the back of the neck? How did the woman get infected? How did the geologist get killed by having his throat cut but there's no blood except in the freezer? How did people confuse this for a good episode? I mean, okay premise but bad execution.

its a great episode

why does any of your whys matter

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
As has been pointed out on Kumail's podcast, X-Files is a terrible show if you're a nitpicker. The whole show relies on misdirection and being 'in the moment.' Like conspiracy theories themselves, almost none of it 'holds up' to close scrutiny.

Seen from this perspective, Scully's character is someone who is a scientist yet has the misfortune of living in a TV show universe where 'just go with it' is the actual operating principle, and is continually annoyed by this fact.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 8, 2016

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

It just felt like the mystery parasite in the second half was not the same mystery parasite from the first half, that's the part that just threw me. It felt like external meddling.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Has Nicholas Lea been in anything lately? I miss him, he was in Arrow last I seen him.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

My Q-Face posted:

Eh there's IRL parasites that go from microscopic larvae to giant scary worms that crawl around under your skin / out your butthole. A lot of parasites have multiple life stages with vastly different behavior.

The woman could have been infected pretty much any time she wasn't on camera.

Clearly whoever killed the geologist also cleaned up afterwards, along with hiding his body in the freezer. Either that or he was knocked out, stuffed in the freezer, then had his throat cut there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

Has Nicholas Lea been in anything lately? I miss him, he was in Arrow last I seen him.

He had a recurring role in the second season of Continuum. Never interacted with William B. Davies, though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I just realised something about 2shy that I can't believe I didn't notice until now. Murder guy preyed on woman using the same thing he was seeking them for -- their fat. He was preying on their insecurities about their weight and image to subsequently feed on their weight.

In a way though there's nothing about it that is truly supernatural aside from the fat feeding. If he just killed these women and did something gruesome it would be a run of the mill serial killer, but it's only technically an x-file because the gruesome thing he does is freaky.

Still a lot better of an episode than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

piratepilates posted:

I just realised something about 2shy that I can't believe I didn't notice until now. Murder guy preyed on woman using the same thing he was seeking them for -- their fat. He was preying on their insecurities about their weight and image to subsequently feed on their weight.

In a way though there's nothing about it that is truly supernatural aside from the fat feeding. If he just killed these women and did something gruesome it would be a run of the mill serial killer, but it's only technically an x-file because the gruesome thing he does is freaky.

Still a lot better of an episode than I was expecting.

It's also got some great early 90's "we're not sure how computers work" scenes.

• Locked thread