Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

And you've got to remember we discussing this are "affluent people without value", most people cannot save quick enough to keep up with the way the market is going. Median 30-35 year old has a net worth of what 8,000?

This is the second time of heard this in as many days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you are in your thirties and you don't have more than $8,000 in liquid funds, what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here ya go:

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tigntink posted:

Alot of them are already done. They've added more parking at many existing lots over the last 6 or so years.

No, I mean.

The ST is all that will be done?

There are too many people living in the area and driving vehicles, IMO.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I drove out to Poulsbo for a family gathering and used the WSF system to get there. At the ferry dock, the Jeep next to me had a red and blue sticker on it that read "MAJOR LEAGUE DYSFUNCTIONAL VETERAN" and it was divided up into three silhouettes: a sniper, a guy hitting a bong, and a guy chugging a bottle of liquor.

I guess I bring this up because the whole time all I could think was "Man, I'm glad that guy is in his own, sealed, vehicle and we're not sharing a light rail car."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If you are in your thirties and you don't have more than $8,000 in liquid funds, what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

Keeping my head above water.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Keeping my head above water.

Having kids? Health problems. Crippling addiction to anime statuettes.

Sometimes all of the above?

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Positive Optimyst posted:

No, I mean.

The ST is all that will be done?

There are too many people living in the area and driving vehicles, IMO.

What do you mean by "The ST"? Sound Transit is the name of the regional transit agency that runs a number of express buses, Sounder commuter rail, and the Link light rail. Link is set to expand to 2 new underground stations at Capitol Hill and UW next month, and it will eventually go north into Snohomish county and east to Bellevue and Redmond in the next 5-10 years. IIRC a number of the suburban stations are planned to have park and rides, and the one in Tukwila already has one.

Seattle's transportation situation is not great but it's gradually getting better. I've found living without a car even in a less dense neighborhood to be very doable. Car2go and Zipcar usually fill in the gaps where biking or transit won't work.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I guess I bring this up because the whole time all I could think was "Man, I'm glad that guy is in his own, sealed, vehicle and we're not sharing a light rail car."

Not "what the gently caress is he doing with his life?"

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SousaphoneColossus posted:

What do you mean by "The ST"? Sound Transit is the name of the regional transit agency that runs a number of express buses, Sounder commuter rail, and the Link light rail. Link is set to expand to 2 new underground stations at Capitol Hill and UW next month, and it will eventually go north into Snohomish county and east to Bellevue and Redmond in the next 5-10 years. IIRC a number of the suburban stations are planned to have park and rides, and the one in Tukwila already has one.

That's good they are doing something.

quote:

Seattle's transportation situation is not great but it's gradually getting better. I've found living without a car even in a less dense neighborhood to be very doable. Car2go and Zipcar usually fill in the gaps where biking or transit won't work.

The last time I lived in Seattle I lived on 8th and Spring. I did need a car for my job, but did not like driving in the city. I paid for the parking, but going without a car is possible and you save have lot of extra savings without the parking, insurance, maintenance, etc (as we know).

Good on you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

This is the page of the Bundy's defense lawyer:

http://arnoldlawfirm.com/lissa-casey/

She seems to be a pretty competent attorney by most standards, but she has worked mostly as a defense attorney for DUIIs and harassment/stalking cases. It seems like kind of an odd choice for this type of case. I don't know if she has some type of ideological bent that makes her want to defend these people. Or whether she was just who was available.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

one of them probably has her on retainer
So according to the OPB, those lawyers actually traveled on their own from Eugene to Burns to tell them what laws they were breaking. They're arguing that it doesn't break solicitation/ambulance-chasing state laws because their advice was offered pro bono, and it's only a coincidence that they're now getting paid to represent them in court.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

anthonypants posted:

So according to the OPB, those lawyers actually traveled on their own from Eugene to Burns to tell them what laws they were breaking. They're arguing that it doesn't break solicitation/ambulance-chasing state laws because their advice was offered pro bono, and it's only a coincidence that they're now getting paid to represent them in court.

I read that too. So it seems that this DUI lawyer from Eugene, and her boss, specifically have an ideological ax to grind. Which probably means they won't be giving the best counsel to their clients, who I think would be better served by a lawyer who will have them apologize and plea. They might actually do a 9th Amendment schtick or something, and get stuck with contempt of court.

Also: client/attorney privilege only covers the communication itself, not the content. So, if they were witnesses to illegal acts, they still have to testify about it. And if they were actually involved in telling their clients how to circumvent laws, they were part of the conspiracy.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 7, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

HEY NONG MAN posted:

video games.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Look at this tech worker here.

I mean, I'm in tech also, but are you this blind to how expensive it is to live here?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mrit posted:

Look at this tech worker here.

I mean, I'm in tech also, but are you this blind to how expensive it is to live here?

I have a degree in journalism.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I have a degree in journalism.

What's the fast food scene like? I heard Dick's pays well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

What's the fast food scene like? I heard Dick's pays well.

If you got a degree in journalism and didn't transition into something else, what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

I'm just illustrating that it's not only tech workers who are able to own housing in Seattle. Neither I nor my wife are in tech and we do just fine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It can be simultaneously true that economic prospects are kind of dim for most young adults and that most young adults are bad at managing their money.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
For me, I have a job that is considered professional and work for the state but can really only afford to live in Seattle proper with roommates. Which is okay but sometimes it does make me a little frustrated.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If you got a degree in journalism and didn't transition into something else, what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

I'm just illustrating that it's not only tech workers who are able to own housing in Seattle. Neither I nor my wife are in tech and we do just fine.

No, no, keep doubling down on how much it's the fault of everyone who had to enter the workforce when poo poo went south that they live hand to mouth. Surely they'll come around to how right you are and how you're totally not a huge douchebag for getting squicked out by having to share breathable air with military vets. You keep tellin' it like it is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

inkblot posted:

No, no, keep doubling down on how much it's the fault of everyone who had to enter the workforce when poo poo went south that they live hand to mouth. Surely they'll come around to how right you are and how you're totally not a huge douchebag for getting squicked out by having to share breathable air with military vets. You keep tellin' it like it is.

I can't read where you're coming from (what is the line about vets alluding to? Squicked?)

I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in journalism (you know that industry that ate itself?). My wife worked at WaMu straight out of college (you know that company that set itself on fire?).

You can keep blaming the economy, though. That sounds convenient!

Edit: oh I gotcha. You're saying that me making a joke about a guy with a weird sticker on his car means I'm a terrible human being. Nice.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 8, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

FULL DISCLOSURE: This is worse than helmet chat.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

FULL DISCLOSURE: This is worse than helmet chat.

But is it worse than helmets with guns built into them?

http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/albert_bacon_pratts_helmet_gun/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I can't read where you're coming from (what is the line about vets alluding to? Squicked?)

I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in journalism (you know that industry that ate itself?). My wife worked at WaMu straight out of college (you know that company that set itself on fire?).

You can keep blaming the economy, though. That sounds convenient!

You missed a lot of the bullshit and so did I. I graduated in 2005 too. My wife's undergrad alma mater five years after her graduation went from 10,000 a year in tuition to 40,000! The people just a little bit younger than us basically 08, 09 and later grads got hosed real hard. When the economy crashed, states lost a lot of higher education funding causing tuition to skyrocket just about everywhere. They then were able to get gently caress all for jobs. See in a poor labor market one can't jump laterally between professions like you did. HR departments get picky when the labor market is in the shitter and they get unwilling to hire/train unqualified but competent people.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"When my wife graduated, she got a job right away working for a company that no longer existed when you graduated." is supposed to be a point against blaming the economy for younger people having financial troubles?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, I'm a tech guy too, but lol at the "Well I'm doing well and I'm not an idiot so how could it be possible for you to not do well unless you're an idiot :smug:" guy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

No, it's supposed to explicate that poo poo sandwiches have been made and served up since time immemorial.

Also: I never called anyone an idiot. I just questioned the priorities of a grown adult not having any ohshit money.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"There have always been bad things and bad situations. Therefore, you're a financially irresponsible manbaby if you have less than $8K in liquid funds in your 30s." That about right?

edit: this is only worse than helmet chat for you because it's shining a light on your FYGM attitude (edit: or "sheltered," to be more charitable)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Those sure are some words you wrote, sure. They don't fit in my mouth, though, so maybe you just keep them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
8k isn't much of an ohshit fund, keep attacking him instead of acknowledging that he's right.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

No, it's supposed to explicate that poo poo sandwiches have been made and served up since time immemorial.

Also: I never called anyone an idiot. I just questioned the priorities of a grown adult not having any ohshit money.

It's just... even still, that's a bad generalization. The amount of money you have on hand isn't just the result of your priorities. Some poo poo sandwiches are worse than others, and not everyone living paycheck-to-paycheck in their 30s could have developed a 8k safety net by being more frugal or more bootstrappy or whatever in their 20s.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 8, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I for one welcome mandatory gun helmets.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BraveUlysses posted:

8k isn't much of an ohshit fund, keep attacking him instead of acknowledging that he's right.

It's barely enough to cover a few months with out work. Given the economy we've grown up with, that's terrifying to me.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tigntink posted:

It's barely enough to cover a few months with out work. Given the economy we've grown up with, that's terrifying to me.

It's barely enough to cover a few months without work, or it'd evaporate to even a mid-sized medical emergency and 8k is far, far more than most people have in savings.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Uranium Phoenix posted:

It's barely enough to cover a few months without work, or it'd evaporate to even a mid-sized medical emergency and 8k is far, far more than most people have in savings.

Go blame the economy on it if it's convenient :smug:

You know, that thing that describes the forces behind how much wealth is available to whom and where, et cetera.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You graduated from college. That gives you a big advantage over the majority of U.S. adults.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I graduated from UW and have negative 3k in savings and work for 12 bucks an hour at age 32, life sucks.

I'd rather be a hunter-gatherer. At least if poo poo went bad I wouldn't be able to blame some millionare shithead for my problems.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I just turned 30 in december and while I have a little bit of money in the bank most of my peers owe 60k+ in school debt and live essentially paycheck to paycheck (I suppose I'm lucky I decided to work instead of school). With housing prices as they are and the surplus of degreed job seekers the chances of home ownership or having significant savings are slim.

If they're just bad with money why do you suppose the average age of first time home buyers is higher than ever? Meanwhile renters are renting longer than ever and not having children. Are we to believe that people just love lining their landlords pockets instead of owning and building equity? It couldn't be that it's too expensive, it must just be bad money management.

Property values aren't in step with income, housing gets more expensive meanwhile income remains stagnant, could there possibly be a connection?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

effectual posted:

I graduated from UW and have negative 3k in savings and work for 12 bucks an hour at age 32, life sucks.

I'd rather be a hunter-gatherer. At least if poo poo went bad I wouldn't be able to blame some millionare shithead for my problems.

Back in the 70s you could work a menial job and still afford a family and home. It's almost impossible to live without roommates nowadays, much less afford a place to raise a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It feels like a weird time to be moving to the area but I'm even more scared of the housing market in the Bay Area CA. Prices have rebound past the top of the 2007 market. I'm cashing out with a tidy profit. The port orchard market seems to be still kinda stagnant but I suppose that's better than going down.

• Locked thread