Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Grouchio, every time North Korea does anything you come here and ask if it's the prelude to war.

North Korea's entire foreign policy is based on hoping that world leaders are as dumb and panicky as you are, and trying to manipulate them. Now stop asking.
1. I partially ask out of concern; I mostly ask out of seeking a group-based inquiry.
2. Most of the concern part stems from thinking about what they may know that we don't.
3. That infernally short game Homefront has never entirely left my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

1. I partially ask out of concern; I mostly ask out of seeking a group-based inquiry.
2. Most of the concern part stems from thinking about what they may know that we don't.

In case you're worried North Korea doesn't have the heavy lift capacity to invade the west coast of the US.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

In case you're worried North Korea doesn't have the heavy lift capacity to invade the west coast of the US.

They don't have the heavy lift capacity to invade the west coast of North Korea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

they are making a new one which basically far cry open world in philly. apparently its a remake or something. ill buy it because i did dumb alt future/history stuff. also there is a realy great article out there about the behind the scenes of that game and how screwed it was from the start.

Badger of Basra posted:

They don't have the heavy lift capacity to invade the west coast of North Korea.

the worst NK can do is invade/bomb Seoul. that or have some Sucide/samson option like the Israelis do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
North Korea's greatest weapon is saying the higher ups are all leaving and now South Korea is in charge

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
NK's greatest weapon are Dear Leader's tanks and bazookas, replete with fake, History-Channel-esque post-production sound effects added!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM0qEHNih4

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grouchio posted:

They don't know poo poo and they are never, ever going to just start a nuclear war over nothing with the current power structure in place. Feel free to never bother asking uless KJU is deposed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

They don't know poo poo and they are never, ever going to just start a nuclear war over nothing with the current power structure in place. Feel free to never bother asking uless KJU is deposed.

pretty much. nothing will happen unless something does, which i doubt.

Switzerland posted:

NK's greatest weapon are Dear Leader's tanks and bazookas, replete with fake, History-Channel-esque post-production sound effects added!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM0qEHNih4

poo poo. all of those trucks looks like they are from the 60s. that bridge building team is just depressing.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

all of those trucks looks like they are from the 60s

I believe that's exactly whence they are from!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was about to say that that video is decades old too but nope, there he is, the "little" prince in all his glory.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
And here we go.

quote:

North Korea on Sunday defied international warnings and launched a long-range rocket that the United Nations and others call a cover for a banned test of technology for a missile that could strike the U.S. mainland.
The launch, which South Korean officials confirmed about two hours after an eight-day launch window opened Sunday morning, follows North Korea’s widely disputed claim last month to have tested a hydrogen bomb. It will be considered a further provocation by Washington and its allies and likely draw more sanctions and condemnation from the United Nations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

an nothing will happen. also cruz is talking about how they will do an EMP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo. all of those trucks looks like they are from the 60s. that bridge building team is just depressing.

Civilians are still using wood-gas trucks in North Korea. The army is lucky they get something oil-based.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

an nothing will happen. also cruz is talking about how they will do an EMP.

He also said he wouldn't bomb NK over a missile launch, which literally every other candidate who was asked also said. ABC was frothing at the mouth for them to commit to war but not a one would do it (Carson, who might have been dumb enough to bite, was not asked.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cliff Racer posted:

They wouldn't create an EMP over the US with it's satellite?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
this NK situation is going to end up just like the Oregon standoff. "Why are we letting these crazy people do things?" then when they go too far, the entire regime is just going to disappear within an hour.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grouchio posted:

They wouldn't create an EMP over the US with it's satellite?

EMPs are caused by detonating nuclear bombs in the atmosphere, not by launching satellites.

Of course its doubtful if there even is a satellite being launched, this launch is intended to demonstrate ICBM launch capability. I'm not sure if you are just loving with me/this thread or not but you really need to educate yourself on the issues before "just poast"ing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that or have some Sucide/samson option like the Israelis do.

wait what

Cliff Racer posted:

EMPs are caused by detonating nuclear bombs in the atmosphere, not by launching satellites

You clearly have not seen one of the most groundbreaking documentaries on 1990s-era post-Soviet international relations, Goldeneye

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 7, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cliff Racer posted:

EMPs are caused by detonating nuclear bombs in the atmosphere, not by launching satellites.

Of course its doubtful if there even is a satellite being launched, this launch is intended to demonstrate ICBM launch capability. I'm not sure if you are just loving with me/this thread or not but you really need to educate yourself on the issues before "just poast"ing.

The satellite orbit has been confirmed by other countries.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Civilians are still using wood-gas trucks in North Korea. The army is lucky they get something oil-based.

All of Best Korea is equipped with only the latest in biofuel technology, Truly Best Korea has achieved a sustainable and self-sufficient military long before the decrepit west and he will laugh as Ersatz (South) Corea sink beneath the waves of globally warming juche.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

In last night's debate, Ted Cruz made a big deal about North Korea launching a satellite with a nuke on board precisely to EMP the eastern coast, maybe he got to Grouchio :ohdear:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rappaport posted:

In last night's debate, Ted Cruz made a big deal about North Korea launching a satellite with a nuke on board precisely to EMP the eastern coast, maybe he got to Grouchio :ohdear:
No it's just the godamn EMP satellite from Homefront stubbornly looping in my head.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

No it's just the godamn EMP satellite from Homefront stubbornly looping in my head.

same, that or MW2. cruz is a dip. plus it would be the west coast that got hit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

North Korea's greatest weapon is saying the higher ups are all leaving and now South Korea is in charge

North Korea can't do that; their entire culture is built around their racial purity, and the south koreans have been racially defiled by evil Americans.

Their greatest weapon is selling nuclear weapons to Iran. If China refuses to crack down on North Korea, it is America's responsibility to ensure that North Korea cannot supply nuclear weapons and the missiles to carry them to Iran.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

You may note that Homefront is a video game, and not real life.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you get to fight the North Koreans to keep them from stealing all our KFC like in COD?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Badger of Basra posted:

I live in perpetual fear of losing mid, so I won't judge him too harshly on his NK invasion concerns.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh swell: "South Korea, U.S. to discuss THAAD missile defense plan."

quote:

South Korea and the U.S. are to formally discuss deploying the THAAD missile defense system, after North Korea claimed to have successfully launched a satellite into space.

THAAD is an acronym for the U.S.-made Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, which can target short, medium and intermediate ballistic missiles in flight.

The North Korean launch of the carrier rocket Kwangmyongsong Sunday, carrying Earth Observation satellite Kwangmyongsong-4, was a "strategic provocation," said Yoo Jeh-seung, head of Defense Planning, South Korean Defense Ministry.

"The Republic of Korea and the U.S. assesses that North Korea's nuclear test and its long-range missile test is a severe threat against peace and stability of Republic of Korea and Asia Pacific Region," Yoo said.

"In response to the increasing North Korea's threat, ROK and the U.S. will officially discuss deploying THAAD to U.S. Forces in Korea to improve its missile defense posture," he added.

Can't say I'm terribly thrilled at the prospect of the U.S. wading further into the realm of ABM development, especially when it's close to not just Chinese, but also Russian air space. While it's pretty clear that the deployment of THAAD would be geared towards making sure that North Korean missiles didn't hit Japan, South Korea, or the U.S., it will probably be pretty tough to convince Beijing and/or Moscow that those interceptors won't also be geared towards their own weapons. The U.S. could be creating a bigger problem than it's setting out to resolve by taking this route.

e: Beijing says it's "deeply concerned" by the U.S. and South Korea talking about missile defense:

quote:

Three years ago, when South Korea discussed purchasing the U.S.-developed system, China objected, citing a risk to its security.

Beijing once again objected Sunday, with a foreign ministry spokeswoman saying the country is "deeply concerned" over the announced negotiations. Hua Chunying said the missile defense system will escalate tensions on the Korean peninsula and in the region.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 8, 2016

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have set up the Norks in the first place. Sleeping in the bed they made and all that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

If they didn't like it, they shouldn't have set up the Norks in the first place. Sleeping in the bed they made and all that.

plus isnt china sick of their poo poo anyway. I mean not enough to depose them, but enough look the other direction when poo poo goes bad.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

plus isnt china sick of their poo poo anyway. I mean not enough to depose them, but enough look the other direction when poo poo goes bad.

We do not know. I mean they don't care about the US intercepting North Korean missiles except in the way that those same systems could just as easily intercept Chinese missiles should the need arise. If by "poo poo goes bad" you mean a war or coup that threatens northern sovereignty then the role China would play is even murkier. Anecdotal evidence points to most North Koreans thinking China has the highest standard of living in the world, if they were to become refugees they'd head north and China does not want that. Nor do they want South Korea, a reliable trading partner with few actual diplomatic problems, to be crippled. Nor do they want US bases on their border. Setting aside the fact that any war on the Korean peninsula would be a nightmare scenario in and of itself, nobody knows exactly what China's reaction could be. They could try to set up a puppet regime (a real one, not the wayward rear end in a top hat currently in charge) in whatever portion of the country they get to first, or prop up the current one while attempting a peace agreement, or get the US to agree to no bases above the old DMZ (or even leaving the peninsula all together.) And of course they could also always do nothing, as you said.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

We do not know. I mean they don't care about the US intercepting North Korean missiles except in the way that those same systems could just as easily intercept Chinese missiles should the need arise. If by "poo poo goes bad" you mean a war or coup that threatens northern sovereignty then the role China would play is even murkier. Anecdotal evidence points to most North Koreans thinking China has the highest standard of living in the world, if they were to become refugees they'd head north and China does not want that. Nor do they want South Korea, a reliable trading partner with few actual diplomatic problems, to be crippled. Nor do they want US bases on their border. Setting aside the fact that any war on the Korean peninsula would be a nightmare scenario in and of itself, nobody knows exactly what China's reaction could be. They could try to set up a puppet regime (a real one, not the wayward rear end in a top hat currently in charge) in whatever portion of the country they get to first, or prop up the current one while attempting a peace agreement, or get the US to agree to no bases above the old DMZ (or even leaving the peninsula all together.) And of course they could also always do nothing, as you said.

Yup. And even if they do nothing, even if war with North Korea never happens, Beijing is still unlikely to ever cotton to U.S. missile interceptors on what they consider to be "their turf," or near enough to their airspace to potentially block China's own nuclear deterrent.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Grouchio posted:

pro tip: thinking the real world works like mediocre video games makes you look like an idiot

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Grouchio is a consistently terrible poster who is loving salivating for death and mayhem, especially in Asia for whatever reason. To my knowledge he hasn't actually contributed anything to any (at least D&D) thread other than what he keeps contributing here.

Grouchio stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Meanwhile in actual news:

CBS posted:

The satellite sent into space over the weekend in a controversial launch is now "tumbling in orbit," U.S. officials tell CBS News correspondent David Martin.

It's the second time the North has tried but failed to put a satellite into stable orbit.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Juffo-Wup posted:

Meanwhile in actual news:

Yup, as expected. But it will probably be enough to secure Kim's position at the party congress in May, which was the point of this all anyway. So good for him, I guess.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Majorian posted:

Oh swell: "South Korea, U.S. to discuss THAAD missile defense plan."

Can't say I'm terribly thrilled at the prospect of the U.S. wading further into the realm of ABM development, especially when it's close to not just Chinese, but also Russian air space. While it's pretty clear that the deployment of THAAD would be geared towards making sure that North Korean missiles didn't hit Japan, South Korea, or the U.S., it will probably be pretty tough to convince Beijing and/or Moscow that those interceptors won't also be geared towards their own weapons. The U.S. could be creating a bigger problem than it's setting out to resolve by taking this route.

e: Beijing says it's "deeply concerned" by the U.S. and South Korea talking about missile defense:

On the other hand, the South Koreans deciding to flip the bird and start their own nuclear weapons program would be even worse. Providing missile defense coverage is a way for the US to maintain influence and leverage over their decision making process.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Uncle Jam posted:

The satellite orbit has been confirmed by other countries.

And now its falling apart! You can chuck any rock up there and it will whirl around a few times. Thats what Sputnik was for instance, a beeping rock. Honestly thats probably what the North did since the missile was what they viewed as important, no single rudimentary satellite could give the North comparable information to what is already publicly available from other country's satellites or privately available from their good Humint.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Cliff Racer posted:

And now its falling apart! You can chuck any rock up there and it will whirl around a few times. Thats what Sputnik was for instance, a beeping rock. Honestly thats probably what the North did since the missile was what they viewed as important, no single rudimentary satellite could give the North comparable information to what is already publicly available from other country's satellites or privately available from their good Humint.

Well, yes, but getting a satellite into the right orbit and putting a missile on target are similar, technically speaking. A missile with a CEP measured in tens of kilometers is not a terribly reliable deterrent, so from that perspective the regime can't be super happy with the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/asia/north-korea-army-chief-ri-yong-gil-executed/index.html

sounds like a coup was crushed.