Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i mostly use wine to play really old games and it generally works

most of the time

with minor quirks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

i love linux

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

blowfish posted:

:agreed:, and nothing is more hilarious than microsoft jumping on that bandwagon and going all in with windows 8 before frantically pretending not to be backpedalling in windows 10.

some people don't want 4 devices (desktop momputer, laptop, tablet, phone). many people don't want to run an actual desktop operating system on a touchscreen because it will be a piece of poo poo no matter how much microsoft and linux neckbeards pretend otherwise. most people just want a device for loving around, reading terrible opinions on the internet, watching youtube, and not for any kind of serious productivity~ work, so depending on whether the first point applies to you it's either a phablet or a phone and something the size and weight of a regular ipad at most. if you count the last category, tablet market share is actually increasing, but not in the way that fart huffing executives thought.

I'm sure there's a market for small, cheap devices for mostly random surfing. But weather those are phones, tablets or small laptops depends on what's available and most people will certainly not be willing to pay 1k+ for anything of the sort.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
wine is fine as long you don't use it on ubuntu or debian, play on linux is garbage trash. it uses outdated wine versions and doesn't work with pulseaudio because the wine versions it uses does not have full pulseaudio support yet, which results in funny things such as crackling audio from wine applications.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Oldsmobile posted:

I'm sure there's a market for small, cheap devices for mostly random surfing. But weather those are phones, tablets or small laptops depends on what's available and most people will certainly not be willing to pay 1k+ for anything of the sort.

yeah. phablets (it's one device so i don't have to spend money twice), low disk space model ipads, cheap anroids

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

if you want a $2k premium facebook messaging device, i've got a bridge vertu phone to sell you

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I am playing xcom 2 on my gentooooo linux laptop truly it is a wonderful time to be alive

Crusader fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 8, 2016

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Oldsmobile posted:

it's butt weather

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

it's butt weather

So. Windy?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crusader posted:

gentooooo

Crusader posted:

gentooooo linux

Crusader posted:

gentooooo linux laptop

Crusader posted:

wonderful

fission mailed

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how is Gentoo doing these days anywho

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

It's not Fedora or Cent, so who cares? :smug:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Silver Alicorn posted:

Dunno its still compiling

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

It's not Fedora or Cent, so who cares? :smug:

it's not ubuntoooo, mint, or deb+ian either, so even end users who are bad at computing don't care

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jre posted:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

jre posted:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

jre posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:rip: the Debian guy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it's shite mate

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

jre posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.

The latest Intel PC processors are useless in the Free World, because they require a proprietary program to initialize the memory and a signed proprietary blob in the northbridge chip.
I don't know how much better the current AMD processors are, but they are surely not worse.

Regarding graphics accelerators for PCs, ATI mostly cooperates with the free software movement, while nVidia is totally hostile. ATI has released free drivers.
However, the ATI drivers use nonfree microcode blobs, whereas most of nVidia's products (excepting the most recent ones) work ok with Nouveau, which is entirely free and has no blobs.

Thus, paradoxically, if you want to be free you need to get a not-very-recent nVidia accelerator.

I wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM, so that we could endorse its products and stop preferring the products of a company that is no friend of ours.

Android is not, in practice, an entirely free operating system. It has problems , larger or smaller depending on which product. The problems of nonfree driver libraries, and the universal back door in cell phone radio communication software, are imposed by the hardware and are not directly the fault of Android, but that does not make them ok.
There are two different licenses that some refer to as "the BSD license". Both are free software licenses, but the difference has major practical consequences. To avoid confusion, please always say which one you mean — don't say "the BSD license" as if there were just one.
If you support the idea of free software, how about helping our work? Most of the movement's work is done by volunteers, and you can be one of them. See gnu.org/help for a list of suggested ways to help. It is not necessary to be a programmer, because there are other kinds of help we need too.

Copyright (c) 2013 Richard Stallman Verbatim copying and redistribution of this entire page are permitted provided this notice is preserved.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
lol

---------------------

This post is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend.

The latest Intel PC processors are useless in the Free World, because they require a proprietary program to initialize the memory and a signed proprietary blob in the northbridge chip.
I don't know how much better the current AMD processors are, but they are surely not worse.

Regarding graphics accelerators for PCs, ATI mostly cooperates with the free software movement, while nVidia is totally hostile. ATI has released free drivers.
However, the ATI drivers use nonfree microcode blobs, whereas most of nVidia's products (excepting the most recent ones) work ok with Nouveau, which is entirely free and has no blobs.

Thus, paradoxically, if you want to be free you need to get a not-very-recent nVidia accelerator.

I wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM, so that we could endorse its products and stop preferring the products of a company that is no friend of ours.

Android is not, in practice, an entirely free operating system. It has problems , larger or smaller depending on which product. The problems of nonfree driver libraries, and the universal back door in cell phone radio communication software, are imposed by the hardware and are not directly the fault of Android, but that does not make them ok.
There are two different licenses that some refer to as "the BSD license". Both are free software licenses, but the difference has major practical consequences. To avoid confusion, please always say which one you mean — don't say "the BSD license" as if there were just one.
If you support the idea of free software, how about helping our work? Most of the movement's work is done by volunteers, and you can be one of them. See gnu.org/help for a list of suggested ways to help. It is not necessary to be a programmer, because there are other kinds of help we need too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You monster.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
copyright is slavery, violate stallman's personal copyrights erryday

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if stallman had included a PGP signature we would know that the missive had been tampered with.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

copyright is slavery, violate stallman's personal copyrights erryday

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

used it as a daily driver for many years now, it's doing pretty well if you use it with a systemd-enabled profile.

you still have to be prepared to janitor it a lot though, but I haven't encountered any system trashing stuff since I tried to switch chost a long time ago.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tankakern posted:

you still have to be prepared to janitor it a lot

hmmm....nope

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what does docker even do

the website is not very enlightening

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh I was reading the wrong part of the website

anyway I'm thinking of installing Gentoo again on my old laptop just for nostalgia

e16 mm yeah

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it's for shipping all your red panda pics to the garbage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

they don't belong there :mad:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Barnyard Protein posted:

if stallman had included a PGP signature we would know that the missive had been tampered with.

even he knows better than to sign his posts

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

what do you guys use to edit id3 tags?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
kid3

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

what do you guys use to edit id3 tags?

a time machine to 2007

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.