Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

carry on then posted:

Make sure to go grab the Android posters too, wouldn't want them to miss out.

I'm sure it will be a whole lot of :words: about removable batteries and will invariably lead to an SD card derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Don't forget the cardboard cut outs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

carry on then posted:

Make sure to go grab the Android posters too, wouldn't want them to miss out.

Just get the DROID Maxx.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The 9.3 public beta seems to have fixed my Siri problems.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The 9.3 public beta seems to have fixed my Siri problems.

Semi-Relatedly im incredibly salty that my 5c can't do flux mode. How.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Avocados posted:

Semi-Relatedly im incredibly salty that my 5c can't do flux mode. How.

Night Shift is for 64-bit devices only.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
5 x c is 500

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

What's the timeline for the next full-featured iPhone? I wish Apple wouldn't devote development time to silly in-between product lines.

There are no in-between product lines. The 6s is the most consequential update ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the 'S' models are in between versions by some definitions, the 4, 5 and 6 gave us new exterior designs and the S versions add new features.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

noirstronaut posted:

5 x c is 5 TIMES THE SPEED OF LIGHT

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I had the original iPhone on launch day, then got the 3G and then the 3GS. I skipped the 4 and bought every S model since.

Cue the long, drawn out, unorganized rant about owning a 6S plus:

I've had the 6S+ for a month and day and it's been a real pleasure using it. There's a huge adjustment though going from the 5S screen to the enormity of the plus model. One handed use is really difficult and reaching the other side of the screen with my thumb requires a very awkward and almost dangerous grip. Dangerous if it was not for this gorgeous saddle brown leather case which after a month of use has already acquired a nice filthy patina. That being said, the larger screen is so great for so many things I can't ever go back to a smaller phone ever again. I took the phone out of the case the other day to clean the phone and holy gently caress the phone feels amazing too. The rounded edges really are a nice thing, however it's extremely slippery in this state so the saddle brown leather case is really great for adding some grip without compromising too much on the width. I had a mophie on my 5S so this thing is insanely thing compared, with INCREDIBLE battery life.

I mean, incredible. I easily get 8 hours of hardcore usage on this thing. It's just such a joy having the enormous screen and the all day of usage battery life. Truly all day usage. I traveled to across the country the week after I got the plus and didn't even bring my charger, I just used my friend's. On the plane ride days I easily got 12 hours of battery life with it. I am one of those assholes who uses their phone 8-10 hours every single day. It's by far the best iPhone I've ever used and I have used quite a few of them. Even the 6S screen feels too small now, and holy gently caress what kind of toy was I using before? The 5S really is a baby phone. The plus is a man's phone.

The landscape keyboard is complete loving horse poo poo, however. It's just...so loving bad and so awkward to use. The keyboard is "too centered" and small requiring a really awkward grip to reach the middle of the screen. I just find it really annoying to use and I often wonder what the gently caress they were thinking making it. Using the phone with two hands is ideal and I found the keyboard in portrait, at that size, to be the best i've ever used.

The new Touch ID is insanely fast. I've yet to use Apple Pay. 3D touch seems like you could achieve the same effect with a touch and hold on older iPhones, and I've noticed Instagram for example seems to have implemented touch and hold on older iPhones to behave like 3D touch. At least from the updates notes I've discerned that, I haven't actually used my 5S since.

The camera is the best I've ever seen in an iPhone and produces some incredibly compelling photos. The video camera is really very impressive as well. 60fps looks really great and the OIS is something I couldn't go without now.

So it's been a small adjustment going to the larger screen. I wear normal levi jeans most days and the phone fits into my front pocket rather easily, however it feels like a huge vulnerable spot and I am concerned about bumping into something and damaging it since it's so large. I don't find it too uncomfortable to carry in the front pocket.

I finally went from a 32GB model to a 64GB model with absolutely no regrets. I even pay for increased iCloud storage but I just love the convenience 64GB of storage affords. I will never ever have to think about storage again*!

Oh, and just the speed of the phone is off the charts. Everything is soo fast. I really love this enormous phone and I think you will too. I really have no purpose with this post, sorry.

*lies

decypher fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 7, 2016

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

decypher posted:

So it's been a small adjustment going to the larger screen. I wear normal levi jeans most days and the phone fits into my front pocket rather easily, however it feels like a huge vulnerable spot and I am concerned about bumping into something and damaging it since it's so large. I don't find it too uncomfortable to carry in the front pocket.
This is the reason why I'm probably gonna switch from a 6 to a 5se if/when it's released.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

decypher posted:

The landscape keyboard is complete loving horse poo poo, however. It's just...so loving bad and so awkward to use. The keyboard is "too centered" and small requiring a really awkward grip to reach the middle of the screen. I just find it really annoying to use and I often wonder what the gently caress they were thinking making it. Using the phone with two hands is ideal and I found the keyboard in portrait, at that size, to be the best i've ever used.

I get that same feeling on the 4.7" iPhone 6. I don't enjoy their use of space with the landscape keyboard.

It's really weird, though... I spent nearly 4 years with Android phones with screens measuring between 4.5" -5", and regardless of which skin I did or did not have on top of Android OS (thus whichever random keyboard I may have been using,) portrait typing was always out of the question to me, for that entire period. I came back to iOS with the iPhone 6, and subconsciously began using the keyboard exclusively in portrait. I probably didn't try the landscape keyboard for months, but when I finally did, I probably thought "eh, they didn't really need to add all of this poo poo to the sides..."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

agree with all this

I got the 6s+ a few months ago and interestingly , I don't think I've EVER run out of battery.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Khablam posted:

No. You have it wrong. They count a cycle as a 100% charge, so in their example it would be 10% x 10 vs 100% x 1
I'm not sure if we're talking past each other, but it seems they count a cycle as a discharge to 0%, regardless of whether you started at 5% or 50% or 100%: "Evaluating battery life on counting cycles is not conclusive because a discharge may vary in depth and there are no clearly defined standards of what constitutes a cycle."

But that's not true, because pretty much everyone else agrees that a cycle is a full discharge, whether that occurs as 100% to 0%, or 80% to 0% followed by 20% to 0%. And when you look at their data, remembering their definition of a cycle, the results are absolutely pointless. OF COURSE you would expect 10x the "cycles" when discharging from 10% to 0% vs. 100% to 0%.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Can we just start a new thread to argue about battery hygiene

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
life's too short to janitor your phone battery

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dubstep Jesus posted:

life's too short to janitor your phone battery

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

decypher posted:

The landscape keyboard is complete loving horse poo poo, however. It's just...so loving bad and so awkward to use. The keyboard is "too centered" and small requiring a really awkward grip to reach the middle of the screen. I just find it really annoying to use and I often wonder what the gently caress they were thinking making it.

I'd extend this complaint to all of the "iPad nano" features of the Plus in landscape, except for tabs in Safari in landscape.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

I think the 'S' models are in between versions by some definitions, the 4, 5 and 6 gave us new exterior designs and the S versions add new features.

By the exterior design definition, sure, the S versions are "in-between" versions, but I would argue that that definition is quite silly (I know you're not claiming to support that definition, I'm just saying it's a dumb way to think about it).

Given that the 6S doubled the RAM, increased the camera resolution by 50% added 4K video, upgraded the front camera from 1.2 to 5MP*, and added 3D touch, the 6S was arguably a much larger upgrade from the 6 than the 6 was from the 5S. The 6 increased the screen size, upgraded the battery, upgraded bluetooth from 4.0 to 4.2, added NFC for Apple Pay, added Wi-Fi calling, and added a barometer, all of which are pretty great improvements, but I'd still argue that 6 to 6S was a bigger improvement than 5S to 6, at least for the average user. In any case, there's really no good argument that the S versions are "in-between" versions unless literally all you care about is how your phone looks.

Aaaand, feel free to tear me to shreds. (For the record, I have a 6, because I'm a loser).

*yes, I realize megapixels are dumb, but going from 1.2 to 5MP is actually a pretty noticeable upgrade. 8 to 12MP on the back camera is arguably much less so, but still not nothing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It's well established that the number increments upgrade the enclosure while the S increments upgrade the innards.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i enjoy the 6S, ill see you guys in a few years when the 8S comes out

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion
I dropped my 6S+ and took a tiny chunk out of the silicone Apple case and while I'm thankful the screen and phone is completely fine, that small chunk out of the corner of the case is driving me crazy.
I don't want it to get worse or peel away anymore, so I was thinking about putting a drop or two of super glue there.
Any thoughts, anyone else have experience with the silicone cases peeling apart after a tear in it?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sandwich Fight posted:

I dropped my 6S+ and took a tiny chunk out of the silicone Apple case and while I'm thankful the screen and phone is completely fine, that small chunk out of the corner of the case is driving me crazy.
I don't want it to get worse or peel away anymore, so I was thinking about putting a drop or two of super glue there.
Any thoughts, anyone else have experience with the silicone cases peeling apart after a tear in it?

Just buy a new case

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I'm of the opinion that the big S CPU jumps are far more meaningful than the enclosure ones on their own.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godzilla07 posted:

I'd extend this complaint to all of the "iPad nano" features of the Plus in landscape, except for tabs in Safari in landscape.

I just want picture in picture video on the plus, is that so much to ask :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They gotta give some incentive to buy iPads these days.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MrBond posted:

I'm of the opinion that the big S CPU jumps are far more meaningful than the enclosure ones on their own.

If you're on a two-year upgrade cycle it evens out, you get one of each.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm jumping on the iPhone Upgrade Program for iPhone 7.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I do hope the whole aux port delete rumor doesn't end up being true for the 7 and beyond, because gently caress me and my non-smart car. Kinda smart car... Class of 2007 2.5 GPA car.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

enojy posted:

I do hope the whole aux port delete rumor doesn't end up being true for the 7 and beyond, because gently caress me and my non-smart car. Kinda smart car... Class of 2007 2.5 GPA car.

Even if they axe the headphone port, they'll still have the lightning port. I'm sure Apple will gladly sell you a $20 adapter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if they do, guarantee there will be an overpriced Apple adapter to produce a standard stereo plug. And if Apple doesn't, someone else will. The world has been using 3.5mm plugs too long for something to not get made.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

enojy posted:

I have the same type of car.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

enojy posted:

I know that struggle. I ended up getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Streambot-Bluetooth-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00MJMV0GU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Can't you just get a car Bluetooth receiver?

Edit beaten.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

2008 car with nothing but a CD player and an FM radio, you all can take what you're given.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

carry on then posted:

2008 car with nothing but a CD player and an FM radio, you all can take what you're given.

Same. I use a FlexSmart X2 Fm transmitter and it works ok.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

just get a head unit with an aux port or splice one in yourself.

fm transmitters have poo poo quality and get blown the gently caress out by real stations in big cities, and bluetooth audio is compressed which really sucks if you have a good audio system. wiring yourself directly in is the way to go. look into it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I don't know why I've never looked into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

I just replaced that exact model with this, and am really happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZFIUZN4/