Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Got a whole bunch of wings. Not gonna do buffalo, but not sure what I want to do. I'm considering something Asian/sweet/spicy or smoking/grilling them. Suggestions?

I did an al pastor style wing that was posted on here once, very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seconding these. They're so dang good.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Thirded. Made those for last year's game and they were amazing

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Got a whole bunch of wings. Not gonna do buffalo, but not sure what I want to do. I'm considering something Asian/sweet/spicy or smoking/grilling them. Suggestions?
Karaage.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SubG posted:

Karaage.

But... Those are breaded and boneless.

I recommend something with Chinese peppercorns. Something simple like that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

But... Those are breaded and boneless.
No and no. But I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I made and then ate so much ceviche for the Superbowl.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I saw Adrian Peterson at the bar after the Super Bowl. I was very drunk.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I made modernist mac-n-cheese the other day with sharp cheddar, and while it was really good, the flavor was a little one-note. What combination of cheeses do you folk find works well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

I made modernist mac-n-cheese the other day with sharp cheddar, and while it was really good, the flavor was a little one-note. What combination of cheeses do you folk find works well?

I like cheddar and smoked gouda

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I tend to use good Cheddar, Parmesan and sometimes some goats cheese.

And well rendered Spanish Chorizo joins in.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

In general I think it helps a great deal to have at least 2 very different styles of cheese. One smoked, one not, One sharp, one not, etc. I also throw in a fair amount of pepper and generally some sort of bacon or smoked sausage though, probably due to my Ohio roots.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I skip the smoked cheese and just add slices of crisped andouille sausage. It's fuckin' awesome.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Mac & Cheese is the velvety background from which crisp spicy pork lumps, fresh pea explosions, or tangy red pepper and red jalapeno relish can pop.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm figuring out what to make for/with the li'l lady for Valentine's Day and also thought we were overdue for a Cook or Die. Is that enough of a theme for a Cook or Die thread? We had a pretty good run on the last few ICSAs and such.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SubG posted:

No and no. But I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make.

No big point? Just that chicken karaage is basically always breaded and boneless. You can still grill them for yakitori or something.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
tell me if I'm right/wrong

I like whiskey alright

I like cheddar cheese alright

are they actually sperge worthy?

ain't in love with neither. think they lack a lil bit of finesse or subtlety or something. they're both great, and aged cheddar is really tasty, and yeah some nice whiskey is great. not worth getting spergy over though. I put my money where my mouth was and bought a bunch of super expensive whiskey and expensive cheddar cheese recently, because I was like "goddamnit I just don't get this".

I guess feel like the people who get spergy about whiskey are the same folks that get spergy about cheddar cheese. also largely maybe the sort of people who just like to have something they can get spergy about for the sake of it. grinds my gears. Right? Wrong? Trollin'? connecting unrelated dots?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 10, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

No big point? Just that chicken karaage is basically always breaded and boneless.
That's not true. But let's pretend it is for the moment. So? Guy asked what to do with a bunch of wings. I said karaage. Karaage is something to do with wings.

`Classically' karaage involves marinating the meat and then just dusting it with enough starch to get it to crisp up when deep fried. But you can also find places doing what amounts to Asian-themed KFC. Same with the bones. With bones, without, or with the bones frenched so you get neat little meat lollipops. It's still all karaage.

mindphlux posted:

I like whiskey alright

ain't in love with neither. think they lack a lil bit of finesse or subtlety or something. they're both great, and aged cheddar is really tasty, and yeah some nice whiskey is great. not worth getting spergy over though. I put my money where my mouth was and bought a bunch of super expensive whiskey and expensive cheddar cheese recently, because I was like "goddamnit I just don't get this".

I guess feel like the people who get spergy about whiskey are the same folks that get spergy about cheddar cheese. also largely maybe the sort of people who just like to have something they can get spergy about for the sake of it. grinds my gears. Right? Wrong? Trollin'? connecting unrelated dots?
I don't have a real thesis here, but the internet seems to have made it a lot more socially acceptable to approach all your hobbies the way the crazy guy who won't shut the gently caress up about Jesus does. Whiskey snobs are just a higher tax bracket version of the guy with a rainbow wig and a t-shirt with JOHN 3:16 in iron-on letters.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
what do you guys think to this gbs delicacy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763811

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

I like whiskey alright

I have strong opinions about cheddar but I'm not ready to don a clown wig and custom t-shirt. Cabot Clothbound is an amazing cheese; the only cheddar that beats it is Montgomery's, and my cheesemonger stopped carrying it because they had way too many bruised wheels. Both are great cheeses due to rich flavor, fudge-like density, and the perfect level of tyrosine crunchies. I also like the history and tradition behind cloth-bound cheeses in general, because it's pretty cool. That said, I know a lot of cheese snobs who don't give a gently caress about cheddar. And I'm fine with that. Some folks go gaga for stinky washed-rind stuff like Grayson or Epoisses, some don't (I do oh god why do I spend so much on cheese).

It's the same with any strongly-flavored thing - some people love it, some hate it, some don't give a gently caress because whatever the strong flavor is doesn't interact with their taste/smell/neurology in the same way. Who cares? More for the people who love it.

I'm with you on whiskey - it's all right. I like some of the Japanese stuff that's been coming out recently, but I don't get super-excited about any of it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Having one nice bottle of whiskey doesn't help drink a different bottle every night. That's the true reason to get into it, an excuse to drink more of it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mindphlux posted:

I like whiskey alright

I love whiskey.

I like trying new ones and finding the nuance between different types. Some of the best stuff I've ever had cost near $300 a bottle but some of the 2nd best stuff I've had cost less than $50. I keep a couple different kinds on hand, none of which are more than $70, most nearer to 40 or 50.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Going to Vegas this weekend, first time in a long time. Wife loved Lotus of Siam, which she went to based on the rec here, so we'll be hitting that and Chada Street, again on Faith In Bart. Any other strong recs?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I like whiskey alright

You're wrong - it actually doesn't matter what other people sperg about.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Test Pattern posted:

Going to Vegas this weekend, first time in a long time. Wife loved Lotus of Siam, which she went to based on the rec here, so we'll be hitting that and Chada Street, again on Faith In Bart. Any other strong recs?

Tacos el Gordo is always strong if you're out late (I just did a blog on that one). Breakfast downtown at Eat if you can - it's super tasty and even though it's pretty hipsterific, it's worth it. Of course Raku rules, too. I also had pretty darn good tapas at this place called Firefly. Sangria was overpriced but the food was spot on.

There's this place with wine service in baby bottles that seems interesting too......

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Test Pattern posted:

For brunch, Sweets Raku - it's the best brunch deal in the city. Sit at the bar if you can.
For lunch or a late night snack, Monta Ramen - two locations, infinitely good ramen. The Kuro is especially rich and wonderful.
For drinks, Herbs and Rye (check their hours first, and don't trust Google), Atomic Liquors (Tavern License #1 for the state, great bartenders), or Oak and Ivy (best Manhattan I've ever had, extremely knowledgeable staff). For Tiki and a taste of pure unadulterated Old Vegas, Frankie's.
For Mexican, Tacos el Gordo de Tijuana B.C. - I recommend the original Charleston location, but their Strip spot (newly re-opened, or about to be) is much more convenient for the average visitor.

Any other requests?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

bartolimu posted:

For brunch, Sweets Raku - it's the best brunch deal in the city. Sit at the bar if you can.
For lunch or a late night snack, Monta Ramen - two locations, infinitely good ramen. The Kuro is especially rich and wonderful.
For drinks, Herbs and Rye (check their hours first, and don't trust Google), Atomic Liquors (Tavern License #1 for the state, great bartenders), or Oak and Ivy (best Manhattan I've ever had, extremely knowledgeable staff). For Tiki and a taste of pure unadulterated Old Vegas, Frankie's.
For Mexican, Tacos el Gordo de Tijuana B.C. - I recommend the original Charleston location, but their Strip spot (newly re-opened, or about to be) is much more convenient for the average visitor.

Any other requests?

We're going to be on the strip, and mostly abominable tourists. If you have any advice re: best buffet for seafood, or other least-worst tourist hits we'd appreciate it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Test Pattern posted:

We're going to be on the strip, and mostly abominable tourists. If you have any advice re: best buffet for seafood, or other least-worst tourist hits we'd appreciate it.

If you must go to a buffet, make it the Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan. It's about the closest thing to a foodie buffet as you'll find. The selections rotate some, but bone marrow with chimichurri, crispy-skinned Cantonese pork belly, and a heck of a good salade niçoise are pretty much guaranteed. There are plenty of buffet standards as well, but most are improved upon by small serving size (less sitting around on the holding table) and/or better ingredients. Caesar's remodeled their buffet a couple of years ago and it's a close second for quality; it's also more expensive and has much longer lines. For a purely seafood buffet experience Caesar's might be a better option than Wicked Spoon. There's also the Seafood Buffet at the Rio (free shuttle from Harrah's every half hour), which is an add-on to their very popular regular buffet. To my knowledge Rio is the only place offering lobster buffet-style.

My favorite place for drinks on the Strip (Vesper Bar, Cosmo) isn't nearly as good as it used to be, and I'm not sure where else to suggest heading for cocktails. Herbs and Rye is a short taxi ride and probably the easiest to get to, though you may have difficulty finding a seat some nights. The Downtown drinky places (Oak and Ivy, Atomic) are worth the extra distance due to being a short walk from each other and each fantastic in their own right. As a bonus, if you go Downtown you can eat at Carson Kitchen, which among other treasures offers a turducken pot pie with schmaltz biscuits.

If you want something quick while wandering the Strip, I'd again hit the Cosmopolitan and find Secret Pizza. It's on the third floor, near all the other restaurants (Scarpetta, Milos, etc.) down a blind hallway. Follow the pizza smell. It's great pizza and cheap for the Strip.

Bouchon remains one of the better values for breakfast, and pretty great any time of day. It's in the Venetian. If money is no object head over to the Palazzo for Carnevino - it's the best Batalli/Bastianich property in town and puts out some amazing food.

In the hallway leading from Palazzo to the Venetian is Public House, probably the best Strip location for craft beer (but expect to pay $12/pint or more). The better answer for craft beer is to taxi over to Downtown and hit up Atomic, or the newly-relocated Tenaya Creek brewery. Avoid Downtown's Banger Brewing; their beer ranges from execrable to mediocre and the guys running it are a bunch of douchey bros. The bar staff are all pretty okay though.

Want a classic fancy French dinner with a lower than average cost for the Strip? Andre's in the Monte Carlo does a great job; just try to ignore the 4-500% markup on wine.

The newest critics' darling is Bazaar Meat at the SLS. I haven't been because Jose Andres has priced himself out of my budget, but everyone who's been raves about it.

That's a poorly organized, incomplete stream of consciousness post but all current.

Preview edit: oh yeah, Flock and Fowl is making a stir for doing great traditional Chinese chicken-and-rice dishes. That's next on my list to visit. People I trust have given it the thumbs up, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cheddar sperging is hard cuz so many of the amazing cheddars are either impossibly expensive, hard to find, or both. For example, Hook's 20 year aged cheddar. It's super ridiculously expensive and impossible to get ahold of, but every cheddar person should really try it at least once. I've had cheddars from 15 years up to 31-ish years now, and it's so loving amazing how age can really change the texture and flavor and smell of the cheese. :dong:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i like cheddar and i like whisky

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

bartlebee posted:

I'm figuring out what to make for/with the li'l lady for Valentine's Day and also thought we were overdue for a Cook or Die. Is that enough of a theme for a Cook or Die thread? We had a pretty good run on the last few ICSAs and such.
I haven't done an ICSA yet but I think this is a good idea! It lets people participate at totally different levels depending on where they are, plus most people will be making nice meals for the day already.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

bartolimu posted:

I have strong opinions about cheddar but I'm not ready to don a clown wig and custom t-shirt. Cabot Clothbound is an amazing cheese; the only cheddar that beats it is Montgomery's...

The idea of a cheese having 'fudge-like density' and crunchy bits makes me :barf:

I am in the same boat as Mindphlux; I like whiskey and I like cheese but not enough to set out and become a connoisseur of either.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

cyberia posted:

The idea of a cheese having 'fudge-like density' and crunchy bits makes me :barf:

I am in the same boat as Mindphlux; I like whiskey and I like cheese but not enough to set out and become a connoisseur of either.

Even regular-rear end storebought parmesan will have "crunchy bits." It's great.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bartlebee posted:

Go for it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

I have strong opinions about cheddar but I'm not ready to don a clown wig and custom t-shirt. Cabot Clothbound is an amazing cheese; the only cheddar that beats it is Montgomery's, and my cheesemonger stopped carrying it because they had way too many bruised wheels. Both are great cheeses due to rich flavor, fudge-like density, and the perfect level of tyrosine crunchies. I also like the history and tradition behind cloth-bound cheeses in general, because it's pretty cool. That said, I know a lot of cheese snobs who don't give a gently caress about cheddar. And I'm fine with that. Some folks go gaga for stinky washed-rind stuff like Grayson or Epoisses, some don't (I do oh god why do I spend so much on cheese).

It's the same with any strongly-flavored thing - some people love it, some hate it, some don't give a gently caress because whatever the strong flavor is doesn't interact with their taste/smell/neurology in the same way. Who cares? More for the people who love it.

I'm with you on whiskey - it's all right. I like some of the Japanese stuff that's been coming out recently, but I don't get super-excited about any of it.

yeah, I think we're on the same page here. I totally get and appreciate the difference between a lovely cheddar, and something that is dense, milky, has the tyrosine bits. And I like all that in a cheddar. But it still all just tastes like cheddar to me.

On the other hand I'm 10000% on board with you on Epoisses - it's my favorite cheese by far and I will go to hell and back arguing that it's spergworthy. Nothing else tastes quite like it, it's super temperamental aging-wise, blah blah blah - I just feel like you can differentiate more of a spectrum with some things people latch on to than others.

The Maestro posted:

You're wrong - it actually doesn't matter what other people sperg about.

yeah, I mean that's probably the better point to make.

it really doesn't matter at all. But sometimes I find myself thinking about things like 'Hey, is it pretentious and/or worthwhile to care about food/wine in any objective sense - and if so why - and depending on why, how can you qualitatively differentiate your care about this topic (let's say, wine, or cheese in general) from any other topic (let's say whiskey and cheddar)?'

And then I have to wonder : 'On what basis can you assert that anything at all is worth objectively caring about or making a value judgement about in any sense whatsoever?

And to take that one step further, what does it mean for something to matter to begin with? After all, we're all going to die sooner rather than later and whiskey producers will stop producing whiskey and no one will have any idea that Hooks produced a superb cheddar circa 1980-2020, and maybe we should all just drive our cars off cliffs ASAP. And maybe Descartes was right, and evil demons are all playing tricks on our senses all the time, and we need to just do a bunch of PCP to punch through the illusions and strike the evil demons down and perceive immediate reality!'

thanks for this "The Maestro".

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 11, 2016

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Some people sperg about food

Some people sperg about food existentialism

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The best are the people who sperg about spergs

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

The best are the people who sperg about spergs

:agreed: :thumbsup:

They truly are the best, most attractive people on the planet.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Thanks Bart! That's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

If you must go to a buffet, make it the Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan. It's about the closest thing to a foodie buffet as you'll find. The selections rotate some, but bone marrow with chimichurri, crispy-skinned Cantonese pork belly, and a heck of a good salade niçoise are pretty much guaranteed. There are plenty of buffet standards as well, but most are improved upon by small serving size (less sitting around on the holding table) and/or better ingredients. Caesar's remodeled their buffet a couple of years ago and it's a close second for quality; it's also more expensive and has much longer lines. For a purely seafood buffet experience Caesar's might be a better option than Wicked Spoon. There's also the Seafood Buffet at the Rio (free shuttle from Harrah's every half hour), which is an add-on to their very popular regular buffet. To my knowledge Rio is the only place offering lobster buffet-style.

My favorite place for drinks on the Strip (Vesper Bar, Cosmo) isn't nearly as good as it used to be, and I'm not sure where else to suggest heading for cocktails. Herbs and Rye is a short taxi ride and probably the easiest to get to, though you may have difficulty finding a seat some nights. The Downtown drinky places (Oak and Ivy, Atomic) are worth the extra distance due to being a short walk from each other and each fantastic in their own right. As a bonus, if you go Downtown you can eat at Carson Kitchen, which among other treasures offers a turducken pot pie with schmaltz biscuits.

If you want something quick while wandering the Strip, I'd again hit the Cosmopolitan and find Secret Pizza. It's on the third floor, near all the other restaurants (Scarpetta, Milos, etc.) down a blind hallway. Follow the pizza smell. It's great pizza and cheap for the Strip.

Bouchon remains one of the better values for breakfast, and pretty great any time of day. It's in the Venetian. If money is no object head over to the Palazzo for Carnevino - it's the best Batalli/Bastianich property in town and puts out some amazing food.

In the hallway leading from Palazzo to the Venetian is Public House, probably the best Strip location for craft beer (but expect to pay $12/pint or more). The better answer for craft beer is to taxi over to Downtown and hit up Atomic, or the newly-relocated Tenaya Creek brewery. Avoid Downtown's Banger Brewing; their beer ranges from execrable to mediocre and the guys running it are a bunch of douchey bros. The bar staff are all pretty okay though.

Want a classic fancy French dinner with a lower than average cost for the Strip? Andre's in the Monte Carlo does a great job; just try to ignore the 4-500% markup on wine.

The newest critics' darling is Bazaar Meat at the SLS. I haven't been because Jose Andres has priced himself out of my budget, but everyone who's been raves about it.

That's a poorly organized, incomplete stream of consciousness post but all current.

Preview edit: oh yeah, Flock and Fowl is making a stir for doing great traditional Chinese chicken-and-rice dishes. That's next on my list to visit. People I trust have given it the thumbs up, though.

Thanks man. I'm heading back soon too, so this is helpful for me as well.