Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Those coastal gunners are pretty good at their jobs. Well done them.

So far, Coastal Defence guns have accounted for 9.3% of all sunk ships.

Torpedos: 23.7%

Bombs: 42.4%

Although, this is off my curated list which doesn't include every ship claimed by intelligence as "sunk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We continue to work Bataan over.

Our Buna forces are bombed again.

These guys are doing a bang up job of chasing down all those convoys.

Okay, maybe its time to rest these guys – by then, I hope more troops will have moved up and we can move on to Singapore. This is going to slow my advance compared to my Allied game, but this is because I abandoned the city while the AI is reinforcing it, so while this step will take longer, there will be less troops to deal with once we take the city.

Here we are going to have to rest as well, but we are still doing more damage than we are taking.

We are still advancing in other areas.

I need to move some troops to engage this force.

Not much to comment on here.

The guns here are powerful it seems.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

16,000 feet is still way too high to be bombing. Those are the kind of altitudes that the B-17 would bomb from.Otherwise, good ground game so far. You might get to Ichang by June at this rate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

The guns here are powerful it seems.

120mm isn't that big, destroyer sized really, probably without all the fancy automation of QF guns, but possibly actual naval artillery in static mounts. They seem to be good at using them.

I assume the units could just be coded in as well trained?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

That's another nice AP, and this one is loaded with troops.

My raiding group of cruisers finally finds some targets – its not much, but three confirmed kills are a good start to the day.

And their not done yet!

Clunk! Mwah ha ha!

The captain of the Snapper makes another attack and misses, then just goes “Sod it” and attacks with deck guns.

Its really not his day!

So this is where they have been hiding their fighters!

This is our daily losses at Bataan. It makes attacking look attractive to deal some back.

The commanders at Changsha can sense victory, and continue to attack – I assumed they would automatically pause. Apparently not!

[img]http://lpix.org/2351016/9].jpg[/img]

Our forces force a river crossing.

I need to start pushing forward, we've not taken a base in days.

A nice number of ship kills today!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
British Sailor wasn't a very big tanker. Surprised she's worth that many points.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

British Sailor wasn't a very big tanker. Surprised she's worth that many points.

The smallest tankers the Allies start with are valued at 4 VP, but that quickly jumps to 12 and 15 for the 5190 and 6650 capacity, respectively.

Some of the largest tankers are worth a whopping 31 VP, like the TK Mobilfuel. The TK Esso Richmond is worth 29. Good catches if they ended up sinking in the end.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Unsurprisingly, Grey kills a British Sailor.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We hit Bataan again.

We bring down a Banshee.

I have to hope this is what I'm doing to Bataan, we're just to high to see the results.

I keep forgetting to mention it, but the enemy have some very accurate and large guns here, and we are taking some losses.

We will win here soon, then its onto rest mode for these guys!

Fresh troops have reached Bataan! We will be able to attack again tomorrow in an attempt to bring the enemy to their knees. Cue a large butchers bill.

This is the result of those guns I mentioned.

The jokes are back!

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

I have to hope this is what I'm doing to Bataan, we're just to high to see the results.

Bomb height has nothing to do with whether you see results from that bombing in your combat replay.

If you're not seeing the results, there simply aren't any. You've got to drop those planes down below 15,000 ft, preferably lower.

Otherwise, all you're doing is fatiguing your pilots and putting stress on your airframes that lead to ops losses for absolutely no gain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

paradigmblue posted:

Bomb height has nothing to do with whether you see results from that bombing in your combat replay.

If you're not seeing the results, there simply aren't any. You've got to drop those planes down below 15,000 ft, preferably lower.

Otherwise, all you're doing is fatiguing your pilots and putting stress on your airframes that lead to ops losses for absolutely no gain.

Even if you could see results by being closer to the ground, its important to note that you're trying to bomb infantry, in the jungle, from 15,000ft + which is really really drat hard to do.

4500 meters (15,000 feet) is way too drat high for the lovely bombs that the Japanese planes get, being as small as 50kg bombs at times. If its not 50kg, either as the main or supplementary bombs, you usually have 250kg's or the odd 500kg, and usually only one of those 500kg's.

My advice: Drop the bombing altitude to between 5000 and 7000 feet.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
If you're too high to see results, you are also too high to see your target!

You kinda want to see your target so you can aim.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a jungle. They might not see their target at treetop.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

It's a jungle. They might not see their target at treetop.

Bomb accuracy drops off the higher you are, and I have never seen a book talk about their bombsight quality (which is a shame).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Permit lives yessssssss

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey, is the KB still in for refit? Curious what those carriers are up to.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

paradigmblue posted:

It's so cute how everyone tries to give Grey advice.

Even though we know he never listens. Even after 4+ years of playing the same game :allears:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Veloxyll posted:

Even though we know he never listens. Even after 4+ years of playing the same game :allears:

Every time Grey bombs something from orbit, I like to imagine some poor rice farmer screaming in terror as bombs start landing in his fields.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Hey I listen to everything. There is just a time lag of up to a week from when I start listening. I have a buffer.

Then things don't happen every day, so even after I make a change, it take a while to see the effects.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Hey I listen to everything. There is just a time lag of up to a week from when I start listening. I have a buffer.

Then things don't happen every day, so even after I make a change, it take a while to see the effects.

That's totally reasonable, but if you don't reply or acknowledge that people have said something, they tend to assume you missed it or something. Because sometimes you do miss what someone posts, so... yeah, I'm not complaining mind you, but if you don't want like ten people to keep saying the same thing over and over, a single post like this one saying "ah, cool thanks for pointing that out" will stave off a lot of ongoing hand-wringing from the peanut gallery. :)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
But hand wringing is what we ~do~. Also I don't think increasing Grey's workload is ultimately a great plan.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I feel like that would rob us of one of the great mysteries of life - just what is Grey up to?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Cartoon posted:

But hand wringing is what we ~do~. Also I don't think increasing Grey's workload is ultimately a great plan.

I think your forgetting that making Grey's life more difficult is also another thing we do.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

That's totally reasonable, but if you don't reply or acknowledge that people have said something, they tend to assume you missed it or something. Because sometimes you do miss what someone posts, so... yeah, I'm not complaining mind you, but if you don't want like ten people to keep saying the same thing over and over, a single post like this one saying "ah, cool thanks for pointing that out" will stave off a lot of ongoing hand-wringing from the peanut gallery. :)

I'll try and remember to do that. The only reason I don't is that there is a time lag from when I read something, to when I do the next turn, to when the turn is posted. I often forget - although I try and comment more when I do something.

Its also hard to remember MY timeline to the posted one.....

Ikasuhito posted:

I think your forgetting that making Grey's life more difficult is also another thing we do.

Thats part of the fun!
Just wait until the end of the month when I plan on doing a rundown of the industry. I don't even know where I've screwed up!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

Its also hard to remember MY timeline to the posted one.....

Do you keep notes to yourself from session to session so that you remember what your plans were? I find that's basically a requirement when playing WitP.

Edit: also I found this pretty cool thing on Youtube that shows roughly how the fronts changed in the Pacific theater on a day-by-day basis, if anyone wants to keep track of how Grey's doing (a cursory look says he's pretty much on-schedule with how the Japanese did IRL, with the exception of being slightly ahead in the Port Moresby area of New Guinea and having much more activity in China, one of Grey's real strong suits judging by the last LP and this one so far). Unfortunately this video is very much [citation needed], but it's probably good enough for a general idea.

Things that we can hopefully look forward to in the coming weeks: the invasion of Sumatra and the opening of the Burma front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1rzp2YVxQ

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 8, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Two cities getting nuked, and Russia Declaring War on you?

You're gonna have a bad time

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So how long does Grey have before the oil facilities are destroyed?

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even if you could see results by being closer to the ground, its important to note that you're trying to bomb infantry, in the jungle, from 15,000ft + which is really really drat hard to do.

4500 meters (15,000 feet) is way too drat high for the lovely bombs that the Japanese planes get, being as small as 50kg bombs at times. If its not 50kg, either as the main or supplementary bombs, you usually have 250kg's or the odd 500kg, and usually only one of those 500kg's.

My advice: Drop the bombing altitude to between 5000 and 7000 feet.

Worked nicely at the Cavite Naval Base. Bombed from above 20.000 feet. The P-40's didn't make it up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fredleander posted:

Worked nicely at the Cavite Naval Base. Bombed from above 20.000 feet. The P-40's didn't make it up.

Attacking a naval base is very different from attacking soldiers in the jungle.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Attacking a naval base is very different from attacking soldiers in the jungle.

Fred has a good point though - airfields and/or clear terrain allow you to still get results at higher altitudes.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So how's the economy doing?

And the aircraft production/R&D?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

paradigmblue posted:

Fred has a good point though - airfields and/or clear terrain allow you to still get results at higher altitudes.

Which is why I specifically mention jungle/bad terrain. Even with good terrain or vs. installations, higher altitudes might provide results, but a lower altitude will give better results. The difference being that lower altitudes are more dangerous.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Americans finally take action against our subs.

Buna is attacked again today.

We hit Johore once more – they are close to breaking now.

Our reinforcements are up, so the end of Bataan is in sight. Its still going to be bloody.

We also take a southern base.

Troops have reached the coast, time to clean up here.

Hopefully our roadblocks will resolve soon, and we can begin to move on – it really does take a long time to move troops up!

That god damned 120.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Drone posted:

Unfortunately this video is very much [citation needed], but it's probably good enough for a general idea.

Things that we can hopefully look forward to in the coming weeks: the invasion of Sumatra and the opening of the Burma front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1rzp2YVxQ

This is pretty cool. For some reason I always thought the Allied counterpush down in the Solomon islands started a lot earlier than it did. I knew Guadalcanal ran from mid~late 42 into early 43 and I had always thought it was a push continuing directly from that. Not starting until almost a year later.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

That god damned 120.

That's a different one. The Dutch must have had a lot of them if they were using them for coastal batteries all over. I assume Bofors or Krupp in battery of two or three, naval-type fixed guns, ~5 metre long barrels, 10-15km range, 5-10 rounds a minute.

Good poo poo to blow transports up with.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Slightly unrelated but has anyone else sniggered that the tech advance in Civ V to get submarines is refrigeration?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cartoon posted:

Slightly unrelated but has anyone else sniggered that the tech advance in Civ V to get submarines is refrigeration?

Look, man, that ice cream machine was goddamn necessary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Look, man, that ice cream machine was goddamn necessary.

It hasn't always been Refrigeration! It's Mass Production in Civ 1, Combustion in Civ 2, Mass Production again in Civ 3, Radio in Civ 4, Chemistry in Beyond Earth, and Electricity in Revolutions.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

Our reinforcements are up, so the end of Bataan is in sight. Its still going to be bloody.

Boy, that was a real Banzai attack....more like that and you shall need more reinforcements....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fort Level 4 will do that to you. Bataan could easily have another week before it falls.