Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

hmm, no loot, just a map, oh well

wait why is it still going

how

what

Yeah, the mega-scout map has happened to me a couple of times, I think it's probably just a pretty funny bug, since I remember a developer saying on stream that it was intended for scouting to do only 1-2 as a radius. Maps don't quite work like scouting (they can scout hallways but not the endpoint rooms, for instance), so who knows.

If you wipe or lose heroes on the second darkest dungeon quest, do you still maintain three Talismans of the Flame in your trinket inventory? It seems like it would be pretty rough if you somehow managed to lock yourself out of them.

e:VVVVVVV Thanks! I had trusted that it was that way, but wanted to be sure. Otherwise, I think the odds are more heavily skewed towards abandoning that quest if things aren't going well, since losing a character hurts but isn't permanent the same way that "now I have to do the quest with 0-2 talismans" is.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

FreeKillB posted:

If you wipe or lose heroes on the second darkest dungeon quest, do you still maintain three Talismans of the Flame in your trinket inventory?

yes, you can't lose the Talismans

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do you guys use your most valuable trinkets on DD runs? I'm clearing up the second tier of champion bosses, so I'm almost there. I think I might just throw stress mitigation on everyone and call it a day.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

QuarkJets posted:

In all of my runs the Collector winds up being kind of a pushover despite seeming really dangerous. I have two strategies for him that have proven very effective

1) If there's more than one highwayman head, kill at least one of them. Those are the primary damage dealers

2) Otherwise, focus fire on the Collector. He goes down quickly enough

This doesn't really work if you're unable to hit the back row, but I tend to choose party skills so that I'm always able to hit the back row. Stress damage is often more dangerous than HP damage, and being able to quickly knock out a minion that deals Stress damage from the back row is usually a clutch move.

Oh I've never had a problem with the collector, I just think he's annoying especially since he only ever drops the one thing, even if it's a good thing that's worth a lot, I like the variety of regular fight loot

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Collector intimidated me the first time we crossed paths by whipping out two Highwayheads who both immediately crit'd two of my guys down to death's door, after which he flashed the party and killed one of them (I think, it's been awhile). The other bled out on their next turn.

Every encounter since then has been a cakewalk, though it helps that first encounter taught me to always target/stun his Dismal summons first.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Do you guys use your most valuable trinkets on DD runs? I'm clearing up the second tier of champion bosses, so I'm almost there. I think I might just throw stress mitigation on everyone and call it a day.
The thing is that my valuation of trinkets depends on the situation. Ancestor's trinkets are powerful, but the +stress means they don't seem to be a good choice. For the first mission I used a mixture of sun's rings and eldritch slayer's rings, mostly. My houndmaster got his +40% stun trinket, as well (it was useful to be able to stun guys). Dismas got a gunslinger belt buckle, and the jester got a camoflage cloak, for all the good that it did him. My run went kinda-pear shaped, so take my input with a grain of salt.

e: I still feel that +stun and +acc/damage is still more useful than -stress, just because killing things faster prevents the big stress damage from certain attackers, just like in normal dungeons. My experience is that the stress damage is so high that saying 'gently caress it' and equipping +virtue% items instead might work, but that's a gamble of course. I expect that something like -20% stress damage won't prevent afflictions, but might help avoid heart attacks?

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 8, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so my game crashed after completing a mission, and it seems to have decided that losing about 20k gold and piles of materials wasnt bad enough so it reverted my save from week 52 down to week 16

god what the gently caress, i am livid right now

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

OK some of those are pretty good.

Nuns With Puns
Men at Work
Commedia dell'arte
The Inquisition - thematic!

I gotta give the gatling gun a try.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

What happens after you clear the final Darkest Dungeon mission? Are you allowed to keep playing your current file or is it "Finished"?

paranoid randroid posted:

so my game crashed after completing a mission, and it seems to have decided that losing about 20k gold and piles of materials wasnt bad enough so it reverted my save from week 52 down to week 16

Dude that sucks. Have you tried contacting them about it?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

What happens after you clear the final Darkest Dungeon mission? Are you allowed to keep playing your current file or is it "Finished"?

you can keep playing, the Darkest Dungeon itself is just locked.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

AnonSpore posted:

Streamers naming their adventurers after subscribers is objectively the worst

Doesn't seem any different from SA LPers naming characters after goons who post in their thread. A bit of audience involvement makes it more fun for the viewers.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They should really let you replay Darkest Dungeon missions once you've cleared them. At least the first three. You know, if you're bored with your maxed-out guys and want them not counting against your roster one way or the other. :shepicide:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Nakar posted:

They should really let you replay Darkest Dungeon missions once you've cleared them. At least the first three. You know, if you're bored with your maxed-out guys and want them not counting against your roster one way or the other. :shepicide:

I wish I could lock some heroes at a certain level so I still have available heroes to kill lower tier bosses. I still have the veteran prophet and fisherman crew to kill and I'm starting to run dry on level 3/4s.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ok so i fixed the fuckup through the magic of empty threats and restarting my computer like twice. and of course on the very next run the game decided to take umbrage at my perseverance and HEY GUESS WHO HAS COME TO COLLECT

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder why the Collector's skull is always trying to ram it way out of his cage hat.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Wow, the Prophet is a complete joke with an Occultist. Give him a +debuff % item and just cast the -damage% hex on the prophet over and over. You keep him locked at under -100% damage and the falling stone only does 5 damage.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nakar posted:

Start a new game? I don't know why you'd keep playing a save you've already won the game on and then complain you're bored. :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I played XCOM 2 all day and it made me miss the relative fairness of Darkest Dungeon.

This is how broken I am.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And with the Drowned Crew done with, that's all the Apprentice bosses. Vestal - Man-At-Arms - Grave Robber - Bounty Hunter (though if I'd had my druthers, I'd have brought an Occultist instead of the Vestal, but you go to war with the army you've got).

Boss fights are, as it turns out, incredibly easy when everyone dodges pretty much every attack. Not a sustainable strategy, but I'll take it for now.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Start a new game? I don't know why you'd keep playing a save you've already won the game on and then complain you're bored. :psyduck:
A new game would require leveling up the town again, and it would be fun to just have optional, possibly procedurally-generated levels to be able to do something more dangerous than champion missions with your level 6's. That said, I respect the decision to have each DD level be scripted and one-time-only. Also, I expect that without a cap on the number of DD missions they'd have trouble with roster sizes getting too large for their current implementation to handle. Even though in theory absurdly large rosters should be doable, they didn't build the system with that in mind.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Well, gently caress. All my frontline/tank characters are resolve level 5 now. And I have one veteran level boss remaining, the sunken crew. Will a Bounty Hunter in rank 1 and a Grave Robber in rank 2 be okay for that fight or do I need to groom a new tank from scratch? I don't have any trinkets that can give them dodge, protection, or hp, which would be very nice right now!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Node posted:

Well, gently caress. All my frontline/tank characters are resolve level 5 now. And I have one veteran level boss remaining, the sunken crew. Will a Bounty Hunter in rank 1 and a Grave Robber in rank 2 be okay for that fight or do I need to groom a new tank from scratch? I don't have any trinkets that can give them dodge, protection, or hp, which would be very nice right now!

That's exactly what I just did for the Apprentice crew, though Veteran will naturally be more difficult. Those are actually two very good choices, though, since they'll remain effective almost anywhere in your lineup, and your party will get shuffled at some point during the fight. Both can do absolutely ludicrous amounts of damage, especially if you have a Mark person (who can be your Bounty Hunter too) along.

What are you looking at for the rest of your party?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

docbeard posted:

That's exactly what I just did for the Apprentice crew, though Veteran will naturally be more difficult. Those are actually two very good choices, though, since they'll remain effective almost anywhere in your lineup, and your party will get shuffled at some point during the fight. Both can do absolutely ludicrous amounts of damage, especially if you have a Mark person (who can be your Bounty Hunter too) along.

What are you looking at for the rest of your party?

Occultist and Plague Doctor. It worked, they resunk the Sunken Crew. They almost didn't have the damage per turn to do it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

I've experienced crashes where, upon restarting DD, it shows Saves from who-knows-how-many-months-ago.

If you use the same name for your saves, or only ever had one save, it'd probably look like it wiped your progress.

I've never actually loaded up the old saves, though- I just go "WTF" and restart DD again. Everything's fine then. Until the next crash.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Victor Vermis posted:

I've experienced crashes where, upon restarting DD, it shows Saves from who-knows-how-many-months-ago.

If you use the same name for your saves, or only ever had one save, it'd probably look like it wiped your progress.

I've never actually loaded up the old saves, though- I just go "WTF" and restart DD again. Everything's fine then. Until the next crash.

The two crashes during a dungeon I've had reverted me to the point right before I went on that dungeon run. So I'm pretty sure it auto-saves right after you complete a dungeon in the file save you create. It doesn't make sense for me how it would go back weeks since I thought it constantly overwrites one single save to keep progress since there is no way to revert your decisions. Weird.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Node posted:

Wow, the Prophet is a complete joke with an Occultist. Give him a +debuff % item and just cast the -damage% hex on the prophet over and over. You keep him locked at under -100% damage and the falling stone only does 5 damage.

That's how I beat him. :shrug:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wafflecopper posted:

Well then you have to start over with the Hamlet and lv0 guys and stuff, I dunno it's not as much fun conceptually as a lv6 dungeon with DD mobs and a Champion boss at the end would be. It'd be a cool postgame mod idea, at least.

Node posted:

Once I noticed that ability and Hand of Light and realized what they actually do and how they stack, I couldn't believe they still existed unnerfed in the release version. I don't know what the best party in this game is, but I'm pretty sure it contains an Occultist. Those guys do everything.

Speaking of guys that do everything, am I the only one who isn't that impressed with Houndmasters? They're versatile sure, but without the bleed their damage per action is awful (they've got one of the lowest-damage weapons) and their stun doesn't work from the back rows which sorta defeats the value of Hound's Rush/Harry being usable from the back. Contrast that with the Bounty Hunter who has some very versatile stuns, hits hard even without a Mark or stun and super hard with one (and Human is way more common than Beast), can also debuff Prot, and is nearly as versatile (CB works from the first three spots and Finish Him hits the first three of the enemies' spots). Or the Hellion who hits all slots and has a couple of bleeds and a two-enemy stun.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Nakar posted:

Speaking of guys that do everything, am I the only one who isn't that impressed with Houndmasters? They're versatile sure, but without the bleed their damage per action is awful (they've got one of the lowest-damage weapons) and their stun doesn't work from the back rows which sorta defeats the value of Hound's Rush/Harry being usable from the back. Contrast that with the Bounty Hunter who has some very versatile stuns, hits hard even without a Mark or stun and super hard with one (and Human is way more common than Beast), can also debuff Prot, and is nearly as versatile (CB works from the first three spots and Finish Him hits the first three of the enemies' spots). Or the Hellion who hits all slots and has a couple of bleeds and a two-enemy stun.

They are awesome in the early game but later on for some reason everything just dodges the dogs, his bleeds and stuns are totally outclassed by other heroes, and I find the only reason to bring him is to -prot mark and dog-biscuit bosses to death.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I will often bring a Hound Master on missions unsuited for him simply because his stun-rate with class-specific trinkets is absolutely insane. I've seen Hound Masters keep bosses and heavy enemies locked down for several turns in a row despite mounting resistances. They can also heal themselves in a pinch which makes them one less dude to worry about when things start looking grim.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bad Seafood posted:

I will often bring a Hound Master on missions unsuited for him simply because his stun-rate with class-specific trinkets is absolutely insane. I've seen Hound Masters keep bosses and heavy enemies locked down for several turns in a row despite mounting resistances. They can also heal themselves in a pinch which makes them one less dude to worry about when things start looking grim.
In a way he's a lot like the Jester: Versatile, capable of stress healing, good at dodging, a reliable if somewhat limiting amount of control, great camp skills. He's less of a pain in the rear end to use though, since the Jester is anal about positioning and moves himself around while the HM can go anywhere in the lineup and not care. But they're kind of tied for my two least favorite and least-appreciated classes, and the Jester at least has the advantage of making himself useful in a Lunge-heavy party with Solo and Finale. I like the HM for his camp skills and I like how a biscuit-boosted Hound's Harry demolishes the Flesh, but I started noticing that Hound's Rush was not keeping up against anything that wasn't marked or a Beast.

He does have more health than Hellions and Bounty Hunters though, and more Dodge. Defensively he's pretty good, but defense needs good offense and he seems to flag without a mark. I'm sure in a team with an Occultist, BH, and Arbalest he'd be an ideal second slot guy taking the Occultist's mark most of the time and applying his own only for high Prot stuff and opening with Blackjack while the BH and AR thin the pack. But outside a mark team I'm not as impressed as I initially was.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Plague Doctor can do the same thing, except with 2 enemies at the same time. I think she can have an even higher stun rate with her class specific trinkets +40% and +30%). If you bring them both you can pretty much lock down the entire enemy team, while your other two heroes beat them up.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 8, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hound Master ends up with a slightly better chance to apply because Blackjack has a higher baseline than Blinding Gas. Blackjack (and the BH's Flashbang and Uppercut) are "strong stuns" while the PD's stuns are just regular stuns; the difference at lv5 is 134% vs. 164% Stun chance. Both get +40% from a trinket, but the HM has 30% over the PD no matter what.

The complicating factor is that the PD has a two-enemy stun and a corpse-clearing enemy-shuffling stun, plus +15 ACC on the trinket that boosts her Stun. So she's more useful on the first turn (where it arguably matters most), but the HM has a better chance of stunning two rounds in a row. You could use double stun trinkets on both, but it's not really a very good idea to dedicate both trinket slots to that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm watching a dude stream and on his first turn against 4 enemies (two thin skeletons, two skeleton crossbowmen), he has his plague doctor heal his half-health vestal for 3 health.

It's a champion dungeon and all his dudes are level 6. Evidently this game is not as hard as it appears if guys who make decisions like that can make it this far. :psyduck:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hound has the biggest bag of effective(usable) tricks out of anyone. Marks let him keep up in damage, can hit any location, a guard, self-heal, party stress heal, strong stun, flexible positioning. You can work a hound-man into basically any party and have an effective job for him to do. The only thing he really doesn't do at all is corpse clearing, but that basically only matters if you're using a leper and..I can't even think of someone else that doesn't have an option for good back-row damage.

People like PD or jester can do a couple of those on par or maybe slightly better, but they definitely can't do them all. They also aren't going to get close to his damage potential, which can really come into play on bosses or some fights where the clean-up needs to happen fast.

He isn't going to match some of the pure damage guys in numbers, but the only other guy with a strong stun and similar damage is a bounty hunter. The bounty hunter has some more offense, mainly in terms of a couple moves that work on positioning and a better range for some of his attacks. Houndman trades that in for defensive/recovery abilities, such as guard or party-wide stress healing. Helps a lot to switch his abilities before fights in anticipation of what you need (ie swap out stress heal if everyone is good for self-heal or something).

If working him into a party feels underwhelming, look at the job you're wanting him for and make sure the slotting works. With the changes to add +mark damage to GR and HW, a party setup of OCC-(GR/HW/BH)-DOG-HEL should work just fine, as any of those 3 options for slot #3 don't mind ending up in slot #2. Keep hellion in slot #1 all day, and dog in #2 most of the time, and if you need to use his stress healing shuffle him back to slot #3 for it. GR probably works out the best, since you could slot her in spot #4, so lunge doesn't push hellion back and occultist can take his knife attack. You probably don't want another strong defensive minded character, because that is the role that your dogman is doing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nakar posted:

they have a dog

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Node posted:

Occultist and Plague Doctor. It worked, they resunk the Sunken Crew. They almost didn't have the damage per turn to do it.

Yank the add they spawn behind the big dude: cheese complete

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yo man-at-arms

i... have some bad news for you

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I have no complaints about the dog, but the guy is not doing enough for me lately.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Is it possible to backup your saves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Guard Dog + Dodge stacking is a really effective way of dealing with a lot of tough enemies (treebranch guy, the prophet boss) and Hound's Harry is murder against that one four-part boss that is constantly morphing. If you pick him for straight up damage you're going to be disappointed.