Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hey there, I''ve been reading stuff around and some months ago, I found about the recalbox thing and I'm really interested on building a raspberry pi oriented to play emulators on my living room, nothing else.

I read http://www.recalbox.com/diyrecalbox and from what I get the Raspberry PI 2 is the best I can get for the job, right? My idea is to plug my xbox 360 controller (wired) or a N64 one that I got from Aliexpress.

Any tip about what kind of box, microSD (a 32gb samsung evo class 10?) and stuff do you guys recommend me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
So I just got a powered USB hub, and I'm struggling to find the folder paths for the files contained on my flash drives . Gparted shows the file paths to be /dev/sda , /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc but I can't seem to get to the folder. What am I missing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
That is just the device itself. You need to mount it to get to the contents.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
Mount the device or mount each individual drive?

Will I need to do this every time I want to access it? Is there a way to do this automatically?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Device being each individual drive you have connected to the hub.

What OS is this on? You should be able to automount.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Try reading this: http://ss64.com/bash/mount.html

In Unix-style systems, hardware devices are represented as directories, but that's a different abstraction than the filesystem on a drive.

So you need to tell the system, "Hey, I'd like you to load the file system on this partition on this drive" with the mount command. So if you want the first partition on the first drive your system listed, you'd mount /dev/sda1.

I don't have my pi with me, but here's a pi-specific guide for doing that, complete with editing fstab (which tells the system what to mount on boot, if you plan on keeping those drives always plugged in): http://elinux.org/RPi_Adding_USB_Drives#Mounting_Drive_Partitions

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Moey posted:

Device being each individual drive you have connected to the hub.

What OS is this on? You should be able to automount.

I'm on Raspbian Jessie.
It seems to be automounting but the dev/media folder, which usually shows these files, doesn't have anything that is obviously my usb drives. Gparted has the "Mount" option greyed out so I'm assuming it's mounted through that.

TVarmy posted:

Try reading this: http://ss64.com/bash/mount.html

In Unix-style systems, hardware devices are represented as directories, but that's a different abstraction than the filesystem on a drive.

So you need to tell the system, "Hey, I'd like you to load the file system on this partition on this drive" with the mount command. So if you want the first partition on the first drive your system listed, you'd mount /dev/sda1.

I don't have my pi with me, but here's a pi-specific guide for doing that, complete with editing fstab (which tells the system what to mount on boot, if you plan on keeping those drives always plugged in): http://elinux.org/RPi_Adding_USB_Drives#Mounting_Drive_Partitions

I'll be giving this a read, thanks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is it a powered USB hub?

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Moey posted:

Is it a powered USB hub?

Yup. Specifically one of the Inisignia 2.0 hubs that's powered with a wall-wart.

Here's the df output.

code:
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        7315616 3599752   3362712  52% /
devtmpfs          494108       0    494108   0% /dev
tmpfs             498412       0    498412   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs             498412    6808    491604   2% /run
tmpfs               5120       4      5116   1% /run/lock
tmpfs             498412       0    498412   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1     61384   20312     41072  34% /boot
tmpfs              99684       0     99684   0% /run/user/109
tmpfs              99684       4     99680   1% /run/user/1000
Edit: A thought, would it matter if the usb hub is running three storage USBs and a wifi dongle?

Edit 2: I'm running the PI2 on a 1A power supply until my replacement 2.5A comes in tomorrow. Could the USB port be receiving too little power?

durtan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 8, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

durtan posted:

Edit 2: I'm running the PI2 on a 1A power supply until my replacement 2.5A comes in tomorrow. Could the USB port be receiving too little power?

If the USB hub has its own wall wart, then the Pi shouldn't need to provide any power at all to the usb devices. In fact, the hub might be providing power back to the Pi. I have a Pi that's running like that right now, with nothing at all plugged into its own microusb power jack.

Oh, also, a volume won't show up on df until after it's mounted.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I would first try command 'blkid /dev/sd*', it may give you the names of the different drives.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TVarmy posted:

In Unix-style systems, hardware devices are represented as directories, but that's a different abstractio

As (special) files, actually.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So are there any good options for getting a small cellular radio connected to an RPi (or similar board)? I know you could/can buy little boards to control over serial, but they were all 2G and 2G is getting phased out. I suppose I could buy one of those USB 4G modems but it would be really nice to have something that can make voice calls too. I've experimented in the past with hacking on Android devices to make a more custom phone environment, to some success, but working with Android devices is a real bitch compared to the RPi.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How hacky do you want to get?

The obvious shortcut is to use a BT dongle with the RasPi, and write some software to communicate over various protocols with the phone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fona-3g-cellular-gps-breakout/overview ?

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Saukkis posted:

I would first try command 'blkid /dev/sd*', it may give you the names of the different drives.

This did nothing. What does that mean?

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
So I just started up the GUI through TightVNC, tried to do a file search to find the file location, and saw the USB drive on the list of partitions to select from. Clicking it asks me to mount the drive, which it does. I can now see the drive in /media/pi. Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I'd really like to learn about what I am missing in this regard.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

durtan posted:

Yup. Specifically one of the Inisignia 2.0 hubs that's powered with a wall-wart.

Here's the df output.

code:
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        7315616 3599752   3362712  52% /
devtmpfs          494108       0    494108   0% /dev
tmpfs             498412       0    498412   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs             498412    6808    491604   2% /run
tmpfs               5120       4      5116   1% /run/lock
tmpfs             498412       0    498412   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1     61384   20312     41072  34% /boot
tmpfs              99684       0     99684   0% /run/user/109
tmpfs              99684       4     99680   1% /run/user/1000
Edit: A thought, would it matter if the usb hub is running three storage USBs and a wifi dongle?

From that df output there are no /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc. block devices. This means your USB sticks aren't showing up as drives. Very likely a power issue since 3 sticks and a WiFi dongle + the power needed for the Pi could easily exceed 1 amp. Try again with your better power supply and you should see the sticks show up as block devices under /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc.

A drive that shows up under /dev/sd* still can't be accessed though because it needs to be mounted. This is the process of telling the computer that a block device at a certain location (like /dev/sdb) actually has a filesystem on it that can be decoded to access the files. More modern desktop Linux operating systems will automatically mount block devices and autodetect their filesystems (much like Windows and OSX do too), however for the Pi you might need to manually do this step. Check out these steps from Ubuntu, they should be the same on the Pi: http://askubuntu.com/questions/37767/how-to-access-a-usb-flash-drive-from-the-terminal-how-can-i-mount-a-flash-driv The mount command just needs to be told what drive to access (/dev/sdb, etc.) and where to mount the filesystem in your Pi's root filesystem (like under /media/usbdrive for example). You do need to be careful to make sure the root you want to mount the drive under (like /media/usbdrive) exists, so that's why the Ubuntu page above shows you how to create that location.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 9, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

durtan posted:

So I just started up the GUI through TightVNC, tried to do a file search to find the file location, and saw the USB drive on the list of partitions to select from. Clicking it asks me to mount the drive, which it does. I can now see the drive in /media/pi. Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I'd really like to learn about what I am missing in this regard.

The GUI will do stuff automatically for you, but if you're using the command line nothing will happen when you connect a USB disk unless you do it manually.

"fdisk -l" will give you a list of all the disks and partitions available to your system

If you're concerned that your system is not detecting something you've plugged in you can check with "dmesg", that's pretty much the only place that will show you what's happening to your system physically as it happens.

This is all basic linux stuff, the rpi isn't really the best platform for learning about linux though.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
So i discovered I had to make fstab entries for the devices and now everything works as expected. I kept getting errors saying there was no fstab entries for the devices, so I made a few.

Entry level Linux stuff, apparently.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

durtan posted:

So i discovered I had to make fstab entries for the devices and now everything works as expected. I kept getting errors saying there was no fstab entries for the devices, so I made a few.

Entry level Linux stuff, apparently.

Be careful with adding removable storage to fstab without udev rules. It's likely that your media could mount the wrong disk to the wrong mount point if you have more than one block device connected.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

ElCondemn posted:

Be careful with adding removable storage to fstab without udev rules. It's likely that your media could mount the wrong disk to the wrong mount point if you have more than one block device connected.

Couldn't you use UUIDs to avoid precisely that?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Amberskin posted:

Couldn't you use UUIDs to avoid precisely that?

Yup, that would work fine, though he had trouble using blkid... personally I prefer to use labels in fstab and udev rules to keep things consistent.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So apparently the latest release of Raspbian includes unsupported OpenGL drivers

How is this different from using the broadcom binary blob drivers?

Does anyone know if this includes the compute shaders portion of OpenGL? Compute Shaders have been in since 2012/v4.3. Compute shaders let you do massively paralleled processing on the GPU like nVidia's CUDA and I'm sure AMD/ATI has their own version as well.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

ElCondemn posted:

Yup, that would work fine, though he had trouble using blkid... personally I prefer to use labels in fstab and udev rules to keep things consistent.

So blkid worked fine for me when I used it without the /sd*. If I remember correctly, I just typed in blkid and it gave me the info.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Don't know if this goes here, or the more genera Linux thread, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to get Bluetooth working on my Pi 2 (with RetroPie) with the eventual goal to pair a Wireless controller.

I've got the adapter set up. When I run an hcitool scan I can see the controller I'm trying to pair (so something is working). However, when I run bluetoothctl I can't enter any commands. Typing on the keyboard does nothing. Googling it this apparently happens if something is wrong with the Bluetooth service.

I tried checking the status of the bluetooth service using systemctl. Under there it's loaded, but Active = Failed. So I tried starting it using sudo systemctl start bluetooth.

I get a "job for bluetooth service has failed" and when I check the status again this time it's exited with exit-code = 203. Can't seem to find what that code means though anywhere.

"sudo systemctl enable bluetooth" appears to work (no errors), except it doesn't. After everything processes (apparently successfully) and a restart, the service is still "failed"

...anyone seen this before? Going nuts here. I feel like I've tried every single possible solution the internet has suggested and it still doesn't work.

Also, the service starts fine when the bluetooth dongle isn't plugged in (according to systemctl). Plugging it in though seems to kill the service immediately.

For reference, this is the dongle: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009ZIILLI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 10, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

durtan posted:

So blkid worked fine for me when I used it without the /sd*. If I remember correctly, I just typed in blkid and it gave me the info.

Whenever i hear a new Linux command my first try is man <command> and if that doesnt help <command> -h

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

TheresaJayne posted:

Whenever i hear a new Linux command my first try is man <command> and if that doesnt help <command> -h

Also try <command> --help

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
My new C.H.I.P.s came in today and I tested them out a little bit. There's some beastly power processing power involve, so now I need to think of some good things to make Bluetooth-capable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you guys seen this thing? For $29 shipped I don't think I've ever impulse bought something so quick in my entire life. Dunno if/when drivers will be avalible, but I imagine it should be soon for the Pi and similar devices. Holy poo poo.

$30 shipped! Holy poo poo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176M1GHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX5mMfhRjJo&t=2560s

*mod note: please refrain from posting referral links*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 25, 2016

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Slightly off topic, but so was your post (hurf durf), but how much does a good VR headset (is that even the right term?) go for these days?

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

eightysixed posted:

Slightly off topic, but so was your post (hurf durf), but how much does a good VR headset (is that even the right term?) go for these days?

Free with your brand new Galaxy S7

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hadlock posted:

Have you guys seen this thing? For $29 shipped I don't think I've ever impulse bought something so quick in my entire life. Dunno if/when drivers will be avalible, but I imagine it should be soon for the Pi and similar devices. Holy poo poo.

$30 shipped! Holy poo poo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176M1GHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX5mMfhRjJo&t=2560s

It's been around for quite a while, and drivers capable of motion control probably won't ever be available on the Pi.

The Leap Motion hardware is pretty simple, which explains the low cost: it's just a pair of wide angle, high refresh rate grayscale IR cameras. The computational work to identify the user from the pictures and translate the whole thing into points in 3D space is handled on the host system. The drivers are x86/x64 binary-only, and even if they're ported to ARM, the Pi's hardware won't be able to handle low-latency tracking.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah looking in to it further it's capable of pushing data at up to 200fps which is a bit much for the Pi 2.

There are, however a couple examples online using a Pi, one where the Pi connects to a remote machine serving pre processed data (probably the easiest), and another that's using open CV (?) to do some crude 2d tracking

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Since we're already talking about it, I'd be seriously interested in a Leap if it could be used as a TrackIR replacement.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

https://github.com/elinalijouvni/OpenLeap

Some guy has at least figured out how to get the raw data stream off it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pi 3's on its way. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/26/raspberry_pi_3/

quote:

A Raspberry Pi 3 with onboard Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) support has emerged today.

Otherwise, looks very much the same from what the article guesses. I'm holding out a little hope it's going to make some improvements on some of the complaints in this thread.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

doctorfrog posted:

Pi 3's on its way. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/26/raspberry_pi_3/

Otherwise, looks very much the same from what the article guesses. I'm holding out a little hope it's going to make some improvements on some of the complaints in this thread.

They stuck Wi-Fi and BT on it and they still can't fit a SATA controller?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

They stuck Wi-Fi and BT on it and they still can't fit a SATA controller?
It will probably still reboot every time you plug in or unplug a USB dongle, sooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

durtan posted:

My new C.H.I.P.s came in today and I tested them out a little bit. There's some beastly power processing power involve, so now I need to think of some good things to make Bluetooth-capable.

I just ordered a couple C.H.I.P.s today, but they aren't coming till June :(

I'm going to try use 1 to make a pi-hole. The other, just to mess around with.