Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I had my best :xcom: moment yesterday when trying to extract a VIP.

I thought I started off well - the surroundings gave suitable enough cover and the building gave the sniper a good vantage point over the area where the van containing the VIP was. The extraction point was on top of the building to the left. Seemed easy enough - move in, grab the target, exfiltrate.

Things went completely south. My sniper ended up getting mind controlled just as one of the rookies had managed to hack into the van and grab the VIP. Suddenly my sniper was aiming at us, rather than them, causing everyone to be flanked. Then to make matters worse another rookie got mind controlled and started point blank shooting at her partner. Finally the Advent cavalry arrived and it became pretty obvious this wasn't going to end well.

The sniper and rookie between them managed to injure the others and Advent went in for the mop up operation. The VIP meanwhile had no choice but to basically run from everyone. I had to run him to behind the building, then back around again to get up onto the extraction point.

At only 2 turns left to evacuate the VIP luckily managed to evade 3 shots at him and escape out. The rest of the team lay dead, the entire squadron wiped out in the name of saving the VIP.

I wasn't mad really. I didn't reload. It was a mission success. They'll be remembered and avenged. :black101:

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Peewi posted:

Is it just me or is the skeleton suit grapple broken? No rope shoots out and the guy doesn't move. Shooting and movement range work off the position that was grappled to, but all visuals, including enemy fire, have the soldier at the old position. When you move, the soldier instantly teleports to the position they grappled to and are back to normal until the next time they grapple.

It's mostly a visual bug, but grenade throwing appears to treat you as being at the old position.

Looks like reloading the save after grappling fixes it, which makes sense since gameplay and graphics have been decoupled since EU according to the SDK docs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It is very hard to choose between battle scanners, flashbangs, and grenades now when I end up throwing as many frags as physically possible anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Peewi posted:

Looks like reloading the save after grappling fixes it, which makes sense since gameplay and graphics have been decoupled since EU according to the SDK docs.

I have a very similar thing happen whenever a viper grabs one of my guys. Sometimes they'll even float down under the ground, but LOS still works off their true position.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Swords in general need a rebalancing relative to shotguns.

Making them 100% chance to hit like Rose did is a start, and fair considering they can still be dodged, but they need more to really be viable.

Making swords deal the same amount of damage as a shotgun makes them significantly more viable in the endgame and much more fun to play with.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Peewi posted:

Is it just me or is the skeleton suit grapple broken? No rope shoots out and the guy doesn't move. Shooting and movement range work off the position that was grappled to, but all visuals, including enemy fire, have the soldier at the old position. When you move, the soldier instantly teleports to the position they grappled to and are back to normal until the next time they grapple.

It's mostly a visual bug, but grenade throwing appears to treat you as being at the old position.

Someone's made a pretty nice looking beret.

I've added Denmark, Finland and Iceland soldier flags.

I was just complaining to a very unsympathetic friend that XCOM 2's beret game was sorely lacking, thank you for this

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PiCroft posted:

Is there a way to get the soundtrack without having got the Digital Deluxe version? I got the GMG version which had the resistance warrior DLC and I just got the Reinforcement pack, but neither contains the soundtrack. It's bollocks that I can't purchase it.

It's up on Spotify, if that's at all helpful to you.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kitchner posted:

What's everyone's build orders at the moment?

I've found myself building:

1) Guerilla Tactics (gotta get that increased squad size ASAP)

2) Advanced Warfare Centre (100% bonus to heal is just too good)

3) Power relay (because you need to)

4) Resistance Comms

Anyone do something much different?

-Advanced Warfare Center

-Resistance Comms

-Power Relay

Workshops are also insanely good

You really don't need the squad size upgrade immediately. I didn't get the first level until around right after I saw my first Muton.. The Advanced Warfare Center however is immediately useful, maximizes chances to get bonus skills, and provides a nice buffer in case an Advent MEC ends up grenading half your soon to be extracting squad.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best part of this game is doing a mission to blow up a base with a bomb and laughing at the overhead shot at the end showing you already destroyed at least half already of it by firing grenades across the map at every opportunity.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MJ12 posted:

Making swords deal the same amount of damage as a shotgun makes them significantly more viable in the endgame and much more fun to play with.

Maybe I missed putting a point in that, but as far as I can tell they barely do the same amount of damage as a a shotgun a level below that, since they never crit and can't be modded as far as I can tell.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Someone make a mod for sick fusion/arc swords on the tech tree. I'll write the deck for it if you do the coding bit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Everyone should be making EXO/WAR suits and research powered weapons at all times. Why aren't you researching powered weapons right now?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After drowning in salt yesterday I might give this another shot tonight. I can't decide yet if I'm going to hope I have a recent save from before the disastrous Blacksite mission or if I'm just going to start over. If I load before the Blacksite and I can get through that mission without all six soldiers being either dead or out of commission for a month, I can probably salvage this run.

What's the appropriate build order, if I start over? I think the specific moment where I went wrong was building an early Laboratory instead of Resistance Comms. I made other choices that I'm pretty sure weren't stupid around that--got a Psi Training Facility as early as I could, built Guerilla Tactics School right away to increase squad size, all of that--but the Laboratory never helped me in the least compared to the headache I could've avoided if I'd just built comms.

(This game is like the opposite of Darkest Dungeon. In DD, the best advice is "never start over, you can always recover," whereas it seems like XCOM 2 wants you to recognize when a loss is a loss and when it's time to pull the plug.)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The late-game Gunslinger is my favorite thing ever. The damage they can output is just stupefying.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Broken Cog posted:

Everyone should be making EXO/WAR suits and research powered weapons at all times. Why aren't you researching powered weapons right now?

Problem is that half of the powered weapons are mediocre to subpar, though Shredstorm is fantastic and Blaster Launcher offers some good options at extreme range.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Blaster bomb is cool, but it still doesn't hold a candle to my upgraded plasma grenades. "I wonder what's in that building" Mr. Explosive says. "Lets blow the entire front face off of it and find out."

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Rhymenoserous posted:

Blaster bomb is cool, but it still doesn't hold a candle to my upgraded plasma grenades. "I wonder what's in that building" Mr. Explosive says. "Lets blow the entire front face off of it and find out."

It's not like the blaster bomb uses up a grenade slot, you simply get one more big explosion!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Maybe I missed putting a point in that, but as far as I can tell they barely do the same amount of damage as a a shotgun a level below that, since they never crit and can't be modded as far as I can tell.

Primary weapons gain +2 damage a tier, but swords, like pistols, gain +1 damage a tier. This means that swords are inferior to shotguns from the start and get even worse. Shotguns do 5/7/9 damage, while swords do 4/5/6. There's no reason why swords need to do that, either. Psi-amps give +2/+4 bonus damage, so it's not as if there's a hard rule that secondary upgrades can only add +1 damage per tier.

I buffed swords to deal the same damage as shotguns and made blademaster +3 damage, so a sword ranger's damage is equalized against enemies you can get a flank on (although the shotgun has a higher crit chance) but the sword is better otherwise.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Harrow posted:

After drowning in salt yesterday I might give this another shot tonight. I can't decide yet if I'm going to hope I have a recent save from before the disastrous Blacksite mission or if I'm just going to start over. If I load before the Blacksite and I can get through that mission without all six soldiers being either dead or out of commission for a month, I can probably salvage this run.

What's the appropriate build order, if I start over? I think the specific moment where I went wrong was building an early Laboratory instead of Resistance Comms. I made other choices that I'm pretty sure weren't stupid around that--got a Psi Training Facility as early as I could, built Guerilla Tactics School right away to increase squad size, all of that--but the Laboratory never helped me in the least compared to the headache I could've avoided if I'd just built comms.

(This game is like the opposite of Darkest Dungeon. In DD, the best advice is "never start over, you can always recover," whereas it seems like XCOM 2 wants you to recognize when a loss is a loss and when it's time to pull the plug.)

Don't build a lab on any of the normal difficulties, research peters out real fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Don't build a lab on any of the normal difficulties, research peters out real fast.

Yeah, for some reason I thought that would be a great move and make my research a lot faster, but no, the research would've been plenty fast without it and my ability to research far outran my ability to produce things I'd researched.

I really don't want to start over but it's probably the right move :ohdear: I really liked my ninja Ranger guy whose codename ended up being "Paladin." Dude's pretty solid. (For some reason I don't like to rename/nickname my soldiers--it's more fun to roll with whatever codename the game assigns and hope it fits. It sure as hell did in that case.)

I'm guessing I should also prioritize building an AWC over a Psi Training Facility? I also ended up without one of those.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 8, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vodos posted:

It's not like the blaster bomb uses up a grenade slot, you simply get one more big explosion!

Oh I know. I used mine last night in one of the shadow chamber missions. I picked up the macguffin they wanted, saw my extraction point was to the east of the facility and there were no doors there, so I made a door with my last explosive: The blaster bomb.

This is basically my prefered method for getting in and out of structures, any wall becomes a door.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, for some reason I thought that would be a great move and make my research a lot faster, but no, the research would've been plenty fast without it and my ability to research far outran my ability to produce things I'd researched.

I really don't want to start over but it's probably the right move :ohdear: I really liked my ninja Ranger guy whose codename ended up being "Paladin." Dude's pretty solid. (For some reason I don't like to rename/nickname my soldiers--it's more fun to roll with whatever codename the game assigns and hope it fits. It sure as hell did in that case.)

I'm guessing I should also prioritize building an AWC over a Psi Training Facility? I also ended up without one of those.

I built all the soldier upgrade facilities first. Then coms. Then everything else. I built psi dead last. Changing nicknames is bad luck.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 8, 2016

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
The AWC is primarily for faster healing, at least on Legendary. Having a free skill is nice, and potentially REALLY powerful, but is quite rare and unpredictable. On the other hand, having troops wounded for 30+ days is pretty brutal so that +100% healing is almost required. Psi Ops on the other hand are really, really good, at least in my experience, so I'd want a Psi Lab reasonably fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Faldoncow posted:

The AWC is primarily for faster healing, at least on Legendary. Having a free skill is nice, and potentially REALLY powerful, but is quite rare and unpredictable. On the other hand, having troops wounded for 30+ days is pretty brutal so that +100% healing is almost required. Psi Ops on the other hand are really, really good, at least in my experience, so I'd want a Psi Lab reasonably fast.

The build order I went for on this run was, I'm pretty sure...

Guerilla Tactics School -> Laboratory -> Power Relay -> Psi Lab -> Resistance Comms -> ???

What I should have done is built Resistance Comms instead of a Laboratory and then an AWC right after Psi Lab, I'm pretty sure, or build the AWC before the Psi Lab (in which case I wouldn't have had a Psi Ops by the time this particular campaign hosed up). I guess I have a few hours before I'm home from work to decide if restarting is the right thing to do.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 8, 2016

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Harrow posted:

A fast AWC pays off both by allowing you to recover faster from wounds if needed and by giving every soldier on your squad a chance to roll the dice for ultimate power at every promotion. Skills are some of your greatest equalizers in XCOM and having more of them is never a bad thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man I shouldn't have delayed that first blacksite mission as much as I did, the avatar counter is 3 from the top right now and I'm like a month away from making contact with another region with a base in it, I think I might be hosed?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Hakkesshu posted:

Man I shouldn't have delayed that first blacksite mission as much as I did, the avatar counter is 3 from the top right now and I'm like a month away from making contact with another region with a base in it, I think I might be hosed?

Not really. It can take a few weeks for the bar to fill up and then you have two to three weeks after that to do something before you're actually doomed. Moving towards the alien facility is definitely a good idea, and you can always skulljack a plot-mandated thing if necessary (but I wouldn't recommend it until you think you need it).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Not even close to as hosed as my current campaign. I'm in the exact same position as you, only the counter is maxed out. The Blacksite mission lowers it by 1, at least.

You have 21 days once the counter maxes out, for reference. You have tons of time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't do the blacksite yet. Let it max out while you beeline toward the new region. Make the new region your top priority.

When the doom counter hits max, you'll get 2-3 weeks to continue working toward your base and gearing up in peace. When you're down to ~1 day remaining, do the blacksite you have; it'll bring you off the brink of doom. Save your next blacksite to repeat that process.

Edit: here's Beagle's more eloquent explanation http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-guide/

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

AWC-faster healing, bonus skills, retraining soldiers.

Psi Lab-unlocks the strongest and most versatile class in the game.

A fully skilled up Psion is an unstoppable tank of an agent who makes an okay infantryman (complete immunity to panic, disorientation, and other mental effects plus they get back up when killed) with a lot of skills very useful for erasing people behind cover (there are no robotic enemies which take cover, and soulfire/insanity with schism easily bzort anything organic, and many enemies have grenades which the psi-op can remotely detonate to remove their cover with), an area-effect skill with a 50% chance to inflict insanity on any organics in the radius, and null lance, which is basically a giant psionic railgun death beam-kind of like the plasma blaster heavy weapon, if the plasma blaster was infinite ammo and only limited by a cooldown.

This is not in fact including possibly the most powerful Psi Operative skill-Dominate, which is the most reliable way of removing an Andromedon or Gatekeeper from the enemy arsenal in a turn.

I'd go for the psi-lab personally.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

You've got like 2 months before the timer even starts, you've got a ton of time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Don't do the blacksite yet. Let it max out while you beeline toward the new region. Make the new region your top priority.

When the doom counter hits max, you'll get 2-3 weeks to continue working toward your base and gearing up in peace. When you're down to ~1 day remaining, do the blacksite you have; it'll bring you off the brink of doom. Save your next blacksite to repeat that process.

Edit: here's Beagle's more eloquent explanation http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-guide/

That's uh, huh... maybe a bit of a counter-intuitive mechanic?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Sword would be much more useful if rangers could attack lone enemies from concealment and remain that way if they kill them.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Harrow posted:

The build order I went for on this run was, I'm pretty sure...

Guerilla Tactics School -> Laboratory -> Power Relay -> Psi Lab -> Resistance Comms -> ???

What I should have done is built Resistance Comms instead of a Laboratory and then an AWC right after Psi Lab, I'm pretty sure, or build the AWC before the Psi Lab (in which case I wouldn't have had a Psi Ops by the time this particular campaign hosed up). I guess I have a few hours before I'm home from work to decide if restarting is the right thing to do.

It's ok to delay on the Resistance Comms until after your first power relay just because you probably won't have the Intel to get into enough regions or the supplies to build towers to lower the intel cost to get into regions. Don't delay it indefinitely though. Also, if you see a scanning reward that gives you a contact be absolutely sure you grab it (getting an early power scanning reward can help as well).

Also, engineers are a key component to early expansion- acquire them whenever you can. Even buying them with supplies can be worth it if you do it early enough because you can excavate rooms you wouldn't normally be able to get for a while and thus be ahead of the game. Similarly, getting large amounts of intel from a mission means you can expand into new areas or buy totally valuable things from the black market such as engineers, supplies, or research rushes on mag weapons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

My take

Note that during the final mission, at one point a random non-Angelis Ethereal cuts in after the Angelis to say "You will defeat them, as you have before Commander". Who's this schmuck and why is he cheering us on to kill off the Ethereals? I'm guessing one of the Ethereal Collective broke off to go Doctor Mengele it up on his own under the sea. With blackjack. And hookers!

What a loving game. I just finished it and I am wiped.

Yeah, that line confused me for a bit, but your explanation seems the best I can make from the occasional dissenting lines in the end. Though it did serve to highlight exactly how much Angelis is making GBS threads her pants in fear right now. At first I was all "Oh god it's the Temple Ship's tone deaf 'join us' message all over again" as I listened to Angelis and the Speaker. Then that line popped up and I realized there was a dissenting voice among the Ethereals, and I realized that no, all this chatter was likely Angelis and the Speaker realizing how utterly screwed they were and trying everything they could to confuse and weaken the Commander and XCOM. They've read the reports, and for 20 years XCOM has been little more than an annoyance, and then all of a sudden they start trashing bases left and right, finding out and then specifically targeting their Avatar project...and they still didn't really take the threat seriously. Now all of a sudden XCOM and the X-Avatar piloted by the Commander is there, in their super-secret under-sea base that shouldn't even be possible to find let alone enter, and all the reports are coming back to them. The reports that they read are creeping in through the cracks of their blind arrogance and confidence and Angelis is quietly going "OH gently caress OH gently caress" in its mind as you approach.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm a little confused on how intel works exactly. Do you passively get intel constantly or do you need to scan at HQ in order to accrue it?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So this game cheats for you on every difficulty except legendary.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm a little confused on how intel works exactly. Do you passively get intel constantly or do you need to scan at HQ in order to accrue it?

Scanning at HQ seems to be a waste unless you need one of the bonuses like heal or build faster. I get intel mostly as a reward from missions (like dark VIP) or looted datapads.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

KyloWinter posted:

And people still say the RNG is stacked against them.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Dr. Tygan's thirst for ever more knowledge has brought an anime wizard to this realm.

Abandon all hope.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

KyloWinter posted:

Elaborate? Or are you just thinking of the pseudo RNG that makes you more likely to score a hit the more misses in a row you get? Because I'm pretty sure that swings both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Elaborate? Or are you just thinking of the pseudo RNG that makes you more likely to score a hit the more misses in a row you get? Because I'm pretty sure that swings both ways.

Aliens become more likely to miss if they hit, they don't have aiming angles or weapon range benefits (but do have the downsides of both), you're more likely to hit from good angles/height/distance.