Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People actually idolize the zombie Nazis in those movies?

He is hiding his Nazi-ism under a fascade of quirky ironic Nazi-ism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've never had the pleasure of seeing anti-semitism in meme form before. Racism against black people and Muslims, yes, but never Jews.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Pointing out the unoriginal joke every non-sports fan makes during the Super Bowl? A full-throttle attack on people alienated by sports.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

When I was a bank teller I'd see tax refund checks from the 1%. Apparently if the government owes you enough money (like $60k) you actually get interest on it.

You probably get better at a CU with that kind of savings account though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kiebland posted:

Pointing out the unoriginal joke every non-sports fan makes during the Super Bowl? A full-throttle attack on people alienated by sports.

To be fair, few things on twitter are more cringe-worthy than an FYAD/weird twitter style joke that rips off the format but comes off awkward and sucks

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Kiebland posted:

Only because people take sports soooo seriously, and get annoyed if you don't watch it right or like the wrong team or something

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dr_Amazing posted:

Only because people take sports soooo seriously, and get annoyed if you don't watch it right or like the wrong team or something

I know enough about the sports people care about to always deliberately say I am cheering for the team nobody likes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Who were we not supposed to cheer for this game? I went with the one that had more pleasing team colors.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Met posted:

Who were we not supposed to cheer for this game? I went with the one that had more pleasing team colors.

Racists like to blow the dog whistle at Cam Newton because he's black and has fun.

Other than that both teams were pretty cool and likeable. Aka not from Boston.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

BJPaskoff posted:

I've never had the pleasure of seeing anti-semitism in meme form before. Racism against black people and Muslims, yes, but never Jews.

I've seen Holocaust deniers use memes as evidence. They also used Schindlers List, a FEATURE FILM with deliberate artistical choices, as proof that everything was made up because the movie wasn't 100% accurate, so clearly how could we know? I dunno they are literally the worst.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kiebland posted:

I was blessed by a lack of sportsball and Superb Owl jokes this year, and I like to think it's because people like this are doing the lord's work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was blessed by a lack of sportsball and Superb Owl jokes this year, and I like to think it's because people like this are doing the lord's work.

"Superb Owl" was a Colbert Report joke. It's probably disappeared since he's not doing it any more.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Tbh I find both of those chuckle worthy but maybe it's just because over here no one gives a gently caress about some US sport game airing in the middle of the night and thus I have never been bombarded by them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

This just in Sans so hard causes PTSD.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The federal government will pay you the exact same interest rate they charge you when it's you who owes them, but you only get that interest if they're late with your refund.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Gridlocked posted:

I don't know what that means

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Big Centipede posted:

It means anime.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Gridlocked posted:

This is a troll post and I have no idea how you can possibly think this is sincere

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Big Centipede posted:

Undertale.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is a troll post and I have no idea how you can possibly think this is sincere

I don't know if it is or isn't. I'm just sharing it cause it's funny.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Fathis Munk posted:

Tbh I find both of those chuckle worthy but maybe it's just because over here no one gives a gently caress about some US sport game airing in the middle of the night and thus I have never been bombarded by them.

Same here.

Also it's "handegg" hth

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Big Centipede posted:

It means that fandoms ruin everything, including the people who make fun of the fandoms that ruin everything.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Oh my loving god, if I see one more "sportball lol" post on my feed, I'm going to scream.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

I got invited to two different Superbowl viewing parties here in France last night :shrug:

I'm on vacation and I like football and all but I'm not staying up all night unless my team is playing and since I'm a Detroit fan that means it'll never happen.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I don't think I know a single person in my social circle actually caring about the super bowl :shrug: I think it gets a bit more popular in France over the last couple years but it's still very very far from mainstream and I'd wager your experience is more of an outlier.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Always root for the Cleveland Browns, people hate them.

Also their logo is really lovely and uninspiring.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Even in Cleveland we hate them.

Still watch every week though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Nobody hates the Browns, they just pity their fans.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

mandatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBmzPUI-Qs

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Kiebland posted:

"hey maybe it's a little alienating when everyone is talking about a dominant cultural thing that you know nothing about"

...FOR ONE NIGHT? This person can't tolerate being left out of the discussion of a cultural event FOR ONE NIGHT. I mean, yes, fine, there's discussion in the lead-up and all that, but uh, wow. Maybe it's just that I grew up Jewish on a continent that celebrates six weeks of Christmas, but surely you could just wait until the Super Bowl was over? Or follow the Audubon Society on twitter tweeting owl facts (A Good Superb Owl Joke) or the Royal Ontario Museum tweeting about historical bowl artifacts (A Good Super Bowl Joke) or do what I did and go to a Super Bowl party to eat snacks and hang out with friends?

Like, how fragile do you have to be that being left out of one event sends you into a tailspin of resentment?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Su's anal bum party.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Why, yes, they're voting Republican. Why do you ask?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
At this point my questioning about voting Republican is more a retorical one...like...whyyyyyyyyyy....

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dogfish posted:

"hey maybe it's a little alienating when everyone is talking about a dominant cultural thing that you know nothing about"

Yeah, that got my goat, too. Trying to play the victim because you don't watch football?

gently caress, dude, just google it. Or ask one of the millions of people talking about it what it's all about. Or, I dunno, watch the goddamn game and see if you can figure out what's going on. Really, just do literally anything but pout because people are discussing something you haven't taken the (extremely minor amount of) time to learn about.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dogfish posted:

I wonder if he feels bad for people who aren't into the latest huge superhero movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, that got my goat, too. Trying to play the victim because you don't watch football?

gently caress, dude, just google it. Or ask one of the millions of people talking about it what it's all about. Or, I dunno, watch the goddamn game and see if you can figure out what's going on. Really, just do literally anything but pout because people are discussing something you haven't taken the (extremely minor amount of) time to learn about.

These are the type of people who feel proud of not watching sports like it's some counter culture thing at this point as opposed to a hobby or interest you just don't share with a lot of people.

I can understand feeling that way if you like grew up in a small southern town that totally revolves around highschool football and feeling alienated by that, but you can avoid the superbowl and people talking about it whenever you want. Unless the superbowl is in your city it's probably not going to creep up on you and force you to watch or discuss it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dogfish posted:

...FOR ONE NIGHT? This person can't tolerate being left out of the discussion of a cultural event FOR ONE NIGHT. I mean, yes, fine, there's discussion in the lead-up and all that, but uh, wow. Maybe it's just that I grew up Jewish on a continent that celebrates six weeks of Christmas, but surely you could just wait until the Super Bowl was over? Or follow the Audubon Society on twitter tweeting owl facts (A Good Superb Owl Joke) or the Royal Ontario Museum tweeting about historical bowl artifacts (A Good Super Bowl Joke) or do what I did and go to a Super Bowl party to eat snacks and hang out with friends?

Like, how fragile do you have to be that being left out of one event sends you into a tailspin of resentment?

I need to be routinely reminded what a Grey Cup* is and can't remember if the Blue Jays are a hockey or a baseball team but that doesn't really impact my day-to-day. It's hardly alienating. On the other hand, I remember talking to my brother a while back and he lives in a super small town. He told me that some guys at work were talking about sports and one of his coworkers very sincerely called him a "loving human being" after my brother said he was more interested in Star Wars than professional sports, so maybe it's dependent on how aggressive other people are about knowing those sorts of things.

*: Is that what they win if they win the Superbowl? If I am right, I will be very proud of my own cultural literacy!

vvv: Yay, I know something now!

cash crab has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Feb 8, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

I need to be routinely reminded what a Grey Cup* is and can't remember if the Blue Jays are a hockey or a baseball team but that doesn't really impact my day-to-day. It's hardly alienating. On the other hand, I remember talking to my brother a while back and he lives in a super small town. He told me that some guys at work were talking about sports and one of his coworkers very sincerely called him a "loving human being" after my brother said he was more interested in Star Wars than professional sports, so maybe it's dependent on how aggressive other people are about knowing those sorts of things.

*: Is that what they win if they win the Superbowl? If I am right, I will be very proud of my own cultural literacy!

The Grey Cup is the Canadian Football League equivalent of the Super Bowl.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Grey Cup is the Canadian Football League equivalent of the Super Bowl.

I thought the Stanley Cup was Canada's Super Bowl.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cash crab posted:

I was going to mention that, with just a few exceptions, sports fans are pretty happy to explain poo poo to you if you just ask. The only problem then is getting them to shut up before they feel you have memorized every statistic and detail of every play ever in the game.

There are the occasional assholes like that tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I thought the Stanley Cup was Canada's Super Bowl.

I'm terms of importance, maybe. There are also far more American teams in the NHL than Canadian ones. Canada hasn't brought home a cup in like 30 years.