Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

richyp posted:

Did the infinity stuff used to be a smaller scale or is the scantily clad caledionan volunteer just much smaller than an average Combined Army grunt?
Yes there's a noticeable scale shift, if you're comparing them to the new Morat/CA starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I wanted to get my rear end in gear with some older projects just so I don't wear myself out on painting nothing but Marines and while I'm waiting for some colours for a Mordheim Warband. So I decided to restart work on a Chimera I've had lying about for a long rear end time now.

So I rebased it using PSC WW2 British Armor green to cover my lack of Castellan green. But I'm not too sure what to use for edge highlight colour for it to make it pop a bit more later on.

Also, any easy weathering tricks that I can use to spruce it up a little very encouraged as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am looking to paint up these guys

I want to make them look like a forgotten squad or something, armor dirty as hell and gone all Mad Max and poo poo. I want to make them super dirty but not rusty, and then have bright orange warpainted runes on them.

So I'm thinking start with a dark grey, build up up to a light grey, then do ???? wash all over it, maybe some ???? weathering pigments. Then I'll put a bright orange rune on them with brass etch. I'm putting this out there because I want to plan out my next painting project's materials fully.

The problem I see happening is I don't want to get a monotonous looking paint job, and too much brown with shock orange, I dunno. I do want to make their bases look like they're walking through a coal mine, so that can break it up a bit, but I'm interested in feedback for how you'd do a Mad Max inspired version of the above.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Maybe a mossy-old effect, like they've been sitting outside in a forest for decades? Gives you an excuse to use greens and dark blues.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Don't just use grey. Use a very desaturated blue or green. It'll add some interest and color while still looking faded and dirty and also standing out more against the orange.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Based on the picture, I'd guess something like VMC Green Grey (70.886) would work well. Maybe German Fieldgrey WWII (70.830) as a shade and Stone Grey (70.884) as a highlight? But those are just going from the swatch list, so you know, color calibration may be an issue. In any case, those robots' colors look almost exactly like something you'd use to paint WWII historicals.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Don't just use grey. Use a very desaturated blue or green. It'll add some interest and color while still looking faded and dirty and also standing out more against the orange.

You talking muted or grey with a hint of color?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 6, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Pierzak posted:

Yes there's a noticeable scale shift, if you're comparing them to the new Morat/CA starters.

No kidding.

Boobs seem to be in the same scale though.

EDIT: WTB VMC Tartan paint.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

You talking muted or grey with a hint of color?

Yep, or the green equivalent thereof.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yep, or the green equivalent thereof.

No I mean which of those two is closer to what you're talking about?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Finished another guy today. I think I need to touch up his hammer a bit, but otherwise I'm happy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

No I mean which of those two is closer to what you're talking about?

I was thinking more the right one, but possible highlighted with the left one.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's been two years since the last time I really painted anything, but my gaming group and I have recently picked up playing Frostgrave. Between that and following the oath thread/this thread, I've been inspired to pick it back up.

I'm trying to make themed warbands for each of my wizards, and picked up some Scibor Barbarians to paint in an undead fashion for my Necromancer.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but see some mistakes I can fix for next time. For instance, i layered the skin starting with trollblood base and up to highlight which looked pretty good. Then i washed it with Seraphim Sepia which did give it a rotting kind of look, but i feel like it washed out a lot of the detail. I also tried going for OSL on the eyes of the skulls but I'm awful at OSL so I scratched that idea.

Anyway, I'd love some constructive criticism!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Gave them a wash and painted some terrible chapter badges. I'm as done with these am I'm going to get after a varnish tomorrow.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished up another squad of steel legion.

Love Secret Weapon Miniatures razor wire. A+ stuff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeast posted:

Finished up another squad of steel legion.

Love Secret Weapon Miniatures razor wire. A+ stuff.

I have loved every single thing I've gotten from SWM.

Also I really like your bases. So clean

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't wanna poo poo up this thread so, if I started posting a fuckload of questions and other posts about workspace organization would you guys prefer it in a thread of its own? I kinda feel like it would be its own thread as this is about the actual act of painting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I say just post it here. The thread's not that busy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm trying to organize my painting setup, and my hobby room. I can't spend 300 dollars on a hobbyzone.pl setup. So I'm trying now to determine what goes in arm's reach and what doesn't. For the stuff that doesn't go in arm's reach, how should it be organized and categorized or whatever. There seems to be an effect that the more organized I have my space, the less accessible everything is, but intuitively that should not be the case.

I have a lot of crap to keep straight because of my habit of trying new gear out instead of actually painting. I want to reverse that and get back to the basics, which I've done successfully so far with my minotaur which has an integrated base and nothing else to keep track of. But then I get into thinking about painting an army, and my processes start getting hosed up.

What's the right place to put my paints? Should I have all my paints readily accessible, or should I keep my paints off the table unless I'm using them? That kind of thing. What's a good way to organize my WIPs?

I'm less interested in specific suggestions for my questions, because I don't really know where to start with it, and more interested in seeing other peoples' workspaces and how they've dealt with organizing the 100 different things used in this hobby.

This is what my workspace turns into if I don't keep up with it

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
SRM, I think I share your displeasure in painting space marine bikes now.

Though I'd hate myself a little lessfor making a command squad on bikes if I had painted the bikes and then mounted the space marines on them first.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted Doomshaper3 and his scroll-carrying lil' bro. He's a super cool and good warlock for Trollbloods. He takes the usual Trollblood durability and turns it up to 11. Also he has apparently been juicing, as he's like twice the size as his previous incarnations. I'm pretty happy with him, as well as with my improvement over time.

These are all three versions, in the order I painted them It's helpful sometimes to go back and see how much you've improved:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

signalnoise posted:

I'm trying to organize my painting setup, and my hobby room. I can't spend 300 dollars on a hobbyzone.pl setup. So I'm trying now to determine what goes in arm's reach and what doesn't. For the stuff that doesn't go in arm's reach, how should it be organized and categorized or whatever. There seems to be an effect that the more organized I have my space, the less accessible everything is, but intuitively that should not be the case.

I have a lot of crap to keep straight because of my habit of trying new gear out instead of actually painting. I want to reverse that and get back to the basics, which I've done successfully so far with my minotaur which has an integrated base and nothing else to keep track of. But then I get into thinking about painting an army, and my processes start getting hosed up.

What's the right place to put my paints? Should I have all my paints readily accessible, or should I keep my paints off the table unless I'm using them? That kind of thing. What's a good way to organize my WIPs?

I'm less interested in specific suggestions for my questions, because I don't really know where to start with it, and more interested in seeing other peoples' workspaces and how they've dealt with organizing the 100 different things used in this hobby.

This is what my workspace turns into if I don't keep up with it

I'm probably not the best qualified to answer most of the questions because I tend to abandon stuff in boxes for years on end, however In terms of what to do about keeping things accessible I have a little more recent experience in that.

Since my last time painting anything I've had to "child proof" what used to be my little man cave, as although it's a decent sized room it's of the 2 main rooms downstairs and my 3 year old son likes to wonder in and out of which means I now have to completely eliminate any signs of painting/modelling activity before he wakes up in the morning / after his nap. To do that I (was) using a tray (now the paint station from hobbyzone.pl but principle is the same) and keeping only the paints I'm using/plan to use on whatever it is I'm working on. So if I know I'm painting some word bearers, I'll take the red, black, silver etc.. paints and washes, my two brushes, water pot and palette and keep them on the tray.

My painting light is clamped to the back of my PC desk and swivels behind the monitor out of site, so that when I have the all clear to paint, I can swing it up and over the monitor, grab my tray of stuff and be ready to paint as soon as the coast is clear. Likewise when I need to quickly tidy up and can just swing the light back behind the monitor and below the desk, and take the tray of what I'm using/working on and quickly stash it in a cupboard out of site.

I wish I'd done this approach in the past even before the destroyer of toys was around it eliminates any trace of what I was doing, keeps my room nice and tidy and looks less overwhelming than when there's 100 unpainted models and tonnes of paints out on display. It also has the advantage that I'm less likely to use a colour I wasn't planning on using "just because", as to be honest I only tend to use 3-4 colours + washes per model anyway.

All my other stuff is boxed up and out of sight either in the garage or in some ikea storage boxes that I got on the cheap that look relatively presentable when they're on the shelving unit on the otherside of the room. I also got husband points for turning what was once a lovely room with a PC in the corner and was a dumping ground for everything in the house that didn't have a place of its own into a "safe" and tidy sitting room that I don't have to seal off when we have visitors come around. It ended up motivating me into decorating it and carpeting it out too, which was a nice side effect of being motivated.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Old pic (from before I moved house and filled my desk with stuff again), I have some sets of storage boxes lined up along the back, with some cheap MDF paint racks on top of those (sized for GW / P3 / Army Painter bottles).

The boxes need organising more but hold assorted 'to be started' models, my tools and paints that I don't use very often. The paint racks have the colours I use most often plus whatever I'm using for 'current' projects, and then filled up with odds and sods of 'interesting' colours I don't want to forget I have when planning colour schemes.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

That's a really pretty tartan you've painted on him. Really, the whole thing owns!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
my workspace is in dire need of tidying but i keep all my paints in plastic boxes on the table because there's no way i'm remembering what i shades i have available. to the side is an ikea shelf where i keep all the materials and stuff.

also i'm currently working on some Star Wars Armada wrecks for a friend

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
My ghetto-workbench made from Ikea stuff (bonus insanity carpet):

I just can't deal with clutter of any kind. Everything hobby-related is stored in the drawers and is just a quick chair swivel away when I'm working on something. The only thing missing is a poster or something to catch overspray - while the tabletop is easy to clean, the wall is an issue.

The compressor is a bit awkward but it's on a little dolly, so I can wheel it about if needed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I wish my work area was that clean. I'm constantly hunting around for stuff, I should look for some cheap shallow plastic drawers to put way more of my stuff.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I'm currently living in a smaller apartment, waiting a bit to move into a larger one, so I don't have anywhere to be painting really. But this thread never stops giving. Ranging from newbie tips to finished products, there's a ton of either high quality work or high quality learning going on every page. Those work stations alone are enough to get me excited to paint.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

richyp posted:

Since my last time painting anything I've had to "child proof" what used to be my little man cave, as although it's a decent sized room it's of the 2 main rooms downstairs and my 3 year old son likes to wonder in and out of which means I now have to completely eliminate any signs of painting/modelling activity before he wakes up in the morning / after his nap. To do that I (was) using a tray (now the paint station from hobbyzone.pl but principle is the same) and keeping only the paints I'm using/plan to use on whatever it is I'm working on. So if I know I'm painting some word bearers, I'll take the red, black, silver etc.. paints and washes, my two brushes, water pot and palette and keep them on the tray.
This makes me glad my mancave is in the basement. I put a hook-latch on the basement door - toddler problem solved. Of course teh downside is that there's no incentive to actually clean up my mess... :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
One of the things that has helped me stay more organized is getting one of these travel cases:

http://frontierwargaming.com/?product=paint-case

Now, I am not saying you need to buy one of those, though I have loved it for painting on trips and out of the house. What it did was force me to look at exactly what I needed in a general sense for usual work since only so much would fit in it. Evaluating it from that small space perspective allowed me to identify just what tools and colors I use and need the most, so I could then organize my at home workspace in the way. Granted, its still messier than I would like but at least now I don't have 9 shades of pink and heat gun within arms reach on the off chance I might need them while painting up some knights.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ilor posted:

This makes me glad my mancave is in the basement. I put a hook-latch on the basement door - toddler problem solved. Of course teh downside is that there's no incentive to actually clean up my mess... :(

Part of me would love a basement that I could completely seal off, but I would miss my window seat so I can stare at the rain :britain:

Luckily I have it pretty much have it down to 2 minutes from painting area to tidy desk thanks to random toddler nap length.

From A->B->A faster than I can hear him coming down the stairs. Swivel light over monitor, slide cardboard out of drawer, push mouse back and done.

To the right of my desk is one of those open box shelf unit things with every other hole having either photographs (hence why I didn't take a picture of it) or an "attractive" (read wife friendly) box that I can hide stuff in e.g. the paints, model bits etc.... The room doubles as a sitting room, so it has to be pretty tidy (hence the boxes) and behind me is a sofa and table so if I didn't tidy it I'd get a lecture about it.

A shelving system like this:

(Different boxes, but one like that in every other square to chuck junk in)

Fake Edit: Yes I do paint on a piece of ripped cardboard with a battered starter set brush and use an old ramekin as a water pot. Once I assemble the painting station I ordered (didn't realise I'd need wood glue) at least I'll have the paints and equipment on a tray rather than a piece of cardboard box.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So how many times do you still mix up the two cups?

Continuing with the paint station posting.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

So how many times do you still mix up the two cups?

Not mine, I just found it and it looked relevant. But saying from my experience labeling doesn't help, the coffee's still going to get brushes dipped in even with dedicated painting station and brush cups.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Not mine, I just found it and it looked relevant. But saying from my experience labeling doesn't help, the coffee's still going to get brushes dipped in even with dedicated painting station and brush cups.

Yeah I rarely tend to drink whenever I paint and whenever I do I tend to have the glass pretty far away from the painting station regardless to avoid that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Using two wildly different vessels has prevented me from mistaking paint water from drinking things. Paint water goes in a cleaned out Bath and Body Works single wick candle jar. Everything else goes in a mug or remains in the bottle.

Now if I could keep my cat from trying to drink paint water that would be great.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Also, drinking anything with caffeine in it could give you shaky hands, so don't go too heavy on the stimulants if you want steady lines.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've decided to go all Tactical Strike with a small group of peeps for 30k, and I think I'm gonna split my Calth box into a good handful of different legions so I don't die of boredom painting 30 spacemans the same color. I'm satisfied with what I have been coming up with for test paint schemes, but so far the one thing that's eluded my grasp is the metallic red for the Thousand Sons, as shown here:

My attempts to recreate it have failed dramatically. Any recommendations?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The 30K thread has good pictures from the recent HH Weekender that shows a painting progression of all 18 legions. For Thousand Sons it's basically: prime black, spray silver, spray clear red, paint trim and details. Tamiya TS-74 clear red acrylic spray paint is what you'll want if you don't have an airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

My paint cup is pretty obvious these days

Thanks for the pics guys