Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Ein posted:

Up until 99/2000 or something https://www.ati.com was just a picture of poo(plastic fake dog poo poo) against a green background. Internet Archive seems to have purged the page though.

And here's a relic that few, if anyone, will remember - the PD format:

It came out years before the CDRW but failed miserably because only a PD drive could read the PD cartridges(the disc couldn't be removed/swapped from the cartridge).

Wow, I didn't know they had re-writables back then, when I worked at Circuit City in the mid 90's we sold a Compaq desktop that came with a WORM drive, they sent us a case of discs and we eventually threw them all out and didn't sell a single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

thathonkey posted:

Are mouse trails still an option in the latest versions of Windows?

It's still there in Windows 10 (10.0.10586)!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I recall buying FF7 and my video card, the ATI 128, was only 'somewhat' supported. It was my first experience with the game, so later on, when someone lent me their PS1 and I played it, I was kind of blown away by how smooth it's supposed to run. Thanks, ATI/Square!

Hey that was one of the games that I was playing too. Blame Eidos for it, as they did the shoddy porting job. The game would crash to desktop all the time and even occasionally bluescreen. On Eidos' FAQ page for it they basically said "Yes we are aware this happens, but we don't know why. Save often."

Also the Rage 128 would reliably make one of Cid's Limit Breaks (either Hyper Jump or Dragon Dive) crash the game every time. I had to avoid using him altogether because of that. :allears:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I made it all the way through FF7 PC, but it was definitely a second class experience. I remember it took me a lot of work to get the FMVs to work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Kins posted:

IIRC Click & Create was basically the deluxe version of The Games Factory. I forget all the exact details, but I know there was a plugin system added.

EDIT:
Those old Easy Game Engine For Kids tools have kept evolving over the years, and they're kind of serious business now - Game Maker now has expensive exporter plugins to handle pretty much every system and console except Wii U.

Before Klik 'n' Play, the guys who made that made AMOS BASIC for the Amiga.

I had the Atari ST version, STOS. It was pretty neat :allears:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

EVIR Gibson posted:

There was a killer screensaver right around when the matrix came out that dynamically built buildings on a flat landscape for up to 16 connections whenever a socket was opened.

Printed on the side of each building was scrolling text of the contents of the packets (data minus headers) for that specific connection. Whenever a connection was closed, the building flattened to nothing.

On that note, screensavers themselves seem to be a relic. Since screens are no longer at risk of developing ghosts from static images, it seems to be that whole industry faded into oblivion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Non Serviam posted:

On that note, screensavers themselves seem to be a relic. Since screens are no longer at risk of developing ghosts from static images, it seems to be that whole industry faded into oblivion.

Especially since you can just have the screen go into standby now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Germstore posted:

I remember it took me a lot of work to get the FMVs to work.

When I first played it they were upsidedown and had no sound!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Didn't IPS Panels have problems with ghosting?

At any rate it's a lot more prudent to just have your OS turn off the screen anyways, for the power savings and also to go easy on your screen's backlight.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Police Automaton posted:

Didn't IPS Panels have problems with ghosting?

At any rate it's a lot more prudent to just have your OS turn off the screen anyways, for the power savings and also to go easy on your screen's backlight.

I have an LCD monitor where you can see ghosts of the minimize/restore/close icons in the upper right, but it's almost 10 years old.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

I've been looking for this game for a decade!! I kept thinking it was some old weird version of heroes of might and magic or something. I played it once as a little kid on my parents' friend's mac. I thought it was an awesome game, but I don't think it was on PC or at the very least I had no way to play it. I'm so glad to finally know what it was and it feels good to see the screenshots click!! Is there are a way to play in on a modern windows machine or do I need to set up a mac emulator?

Warlords I - III are at the very least available on Archive.org, but I think you can only stream them from there. There were definitely DOS versions, though, so there should be abandonware sites hosting the game,

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Warlords_1990

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

0toShifty posted:

Packard Bell sound utilities and Goldwave

These two posts sum up how I spent about 90% of my free time between 1996 and 2005.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Germstore posted:

I made it all the way through FF7 PC, but it was definitely a second class experience. I remember it took me a lot of work to get the FMVs to work.

FMVs worked ok, but I remember some of the Gold Saucer games being sped up to the point of being unplayable (including the motorcycle chase scene at the beginning, IIRC the whole sequence was over in like 10 seconds when I played it). Also the MIDI conversions of the soundtrack were pretty bad; at least when I got a better sound card the MIDI instrumentation was a lot better. FFVIII was way more egregious in that regard, the music sounded like total rear end and almost ruined what was otherwise a great soundtrack for me.

On the other hand the PC port of VIII came with that little Chocobo minigame that was originally released for the JP-only "memory card with a screen" (like the Dreamcast VMU). It was a fun little time-waster and could snag you some really good items for the actual game. Really helped out when I did my low-level runs of the game.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ein posted:

Up until 99/2000 or something https://www.ati.com was just a picture of poo(plastic fake dog poo poo) against a green background. Internet Archive seems to have purged the page though.

It came out years before the CDRW but failed miserably because only a PD drive could read the PD cartridges(the disc couldn't be removed/swapped from the cartridge).

Haha, is this like DVD-RAM but with only CD-like capacity?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ein posted:

My parents had a computer with one of these when I was in college, maybe 98 or so. I've never seen another one, and I think this is the only time it's come up in a thread like this where I didn't bring it up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I recall having some MO (magneto-optical) drive for a while in the late 90's. It was the same size and a regular CD drive. The disks had their own non-removable caddies, just like what's shown a few posts above. The capacity rings a bell, too - I think the disks I used were also 650 MB. As I recall, it was kind of slow to backup data. Besides, a teenager doesn't need backup drives. I am not sure why I had that thing to begin with.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This loving thing gave me nightmares so bad I couldn't sleep for weeks.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

First time I played this was on a crummy laptop my mother was using when we went to go visit grandma once :unsmith:

Could never get much further than the lovely onboard sound, which meant no music, but certain creature noises came through loud and clear. The zombie groans at the time were very unnerving to 8 year old me.

It's also one of the first few games I've played where it's possible to fucks things up permanently if you aren't careful in certain areas

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lufiron posted:

ah marathon, made by a still-total-garbo game company called bungie

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i started using a pirated copy of goldwave (thx dad) to put simpsons samples in worms 2, and kept using it early into my musical career. god bless you, mr. gold.

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Wicker Man posted:

I remember trying the demo version. She starts bouncing around on a ball like some kind of hamster with a toy. Deleting the program gives a pop up image of her crying while it asks, "Are you sure?"

Tahni was one in a series of Deskmates.

Hello there. I'm a talking parrot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY0F5AjHP7E

Gonzo the Eggman has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Feb 9, 2016

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I remember my mom tried to cancel AOL when we were switching to the local phone company's service for dial-up.

Their customer retention process was shady as poo poo, and they basically would try to hang up on you, transfer you to the wrong department, anything to keep from processing a service cancellation.

After hours on the phone, I finally invited my friend over to run some lovely South Park themed AOL Hax application. It started spamming chatrooms and sending people 50 IMs per second, etc. It took about 3 minutes for our connection and our service to be terminated.

Non Serviam posted:

The main holdover from screensavers being a thing is many of my coworkers referring to their desktop background as a screensaver.

Heteroy has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Feb 9, 2016

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waffle! posted:

The original creator's copy is probably lost to time, but still a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQIQljaAc0

Halo was objectively a really lovely game

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Data Graham posted:

I'm speaking literally, see, because Doom only had 2D maps and in Marathon you could cross over yourself at different elevations

But frankly Marathon always left me cold, aesthetics-wise, and I actually preferred 320x200 resolution VGA for some reason

Wolfenstein 3D on the Mac was high-resolution but looked like rear end

Marathon was objectively bad too

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I miss good games

pay 30$ and wait three years for this indie retro sandbox survival platformer rpg to be finished (maybe) (no refunds)

EDIT: Also subscribe to our youtube channel

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

UIApplication posted:

Halo was objectively a really lovely game

It blew me away how some parts of the game where just a single level section copy+pasted over and over and over :psyduck:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Police Automaton posted:

I miss good games

pay 30$ and wait three years for this indie retro sandbox survival platformer rpg to be finished (maybe) (no refunds)

EDIT: Also subscribe to our youtube channel

at least thats an option, and some good games have come out of it. It's really nice that a lot of that stuff is coming out to PS4 and stuff as well. It's a decent time to be a gamer, imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wayne curr posted:

It blew me away how some parts of the game where just a single level section copy+pasted over and over and over :psyduck:

That level where you first encounter the Flood (the Library?) was really loving egregious in that regard. All the old reviews are like "oooh spooky new enemies in cool open-yet-claustrophobic spaces" but really it was just "dark hallway section with lovely suiciding enemies coming at you from every angle" 50 times in a row

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

drunk asian neighbor posted:

That level where you first encounter the Flood (the Library?) was really loving egregious in that regard. All the old reviews are like "oooh spooky new enemies in cool open-yet-claustrophobic spaces" but really it was just "dark hallway section with lovely suiciding enemies coming at you from every angle" 50 times in a row

I do not miss games with frustratingly hard to kill enemies.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
What about retail software stores? I remember going to Egghead Software to buy boxed copies of games. I bought Fallout 1 based just on the box art and screenshots. I have a bunch of old games in my office bookshelf:

Also PC Gamer from 1998 to 2004 or so.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

at least thats an option, and some good games have come out of it. It's really nice that a lot of that stuff is coming out to PS4 and stuff as well. It's a decent time to be a gamer, imo.

Yeah that's true. Well, I guess I just wish people were less stupid with their money then. Also this whole marketing and social media crap from the small-time developers like they were some sort of huge media entity. Just make the godamn game dude. If it's good people will probably play it. I'd be embarrassed to release what some people consider worth paying for.

I was really hoping the whole indie game thing would take off and deliver the delightfully weird and unique games I've seen so many of in the late 80s and the early 90s. Instead they rip each other off endlessly ad infinitum. That's quite of a bummer, too. There are a few pearls tho, that's true also. I feel it's such a whole different crowd nowadays than back then.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man I love the guide that came with Baulders Gate 2. It was spiral bound and easily 100-200 pages long. Had lots of cool art and poo poo in the margins

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

I feel it's such a whole different crowd nowadays than back then.

No offense man but this is because you are a grandpa gamer if that timeline is accurate. You are old and the games are not targeted at you.

Not to be mean spirited with that or anything for real.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Shaquin posted:

No offense man but this is because you are a grandpa gamer if that timeline is accurate. You are old and the games are not targeted at you.

Could be, could also be that I don't remember the sheer amount of crap that was out back then also. Who knows.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

What about retail software stores? I remember going to Egghead Software to buy boxed copies of games. I bought Fallout 1 based just on the box art and screenshots. I have a bunch of old games in my office bookshelf:

How many issues did that PC Gamer spine art span?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I think that's very much the case where even with only a couple of decades of experience I can safely say the brain sifts the memories of that poo poo until you do not remember or consider the garbage

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Gamepro was dumber than poo poo but every article I've ever seen on kotaku is infinitely worse

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Keith Atherton posted:

Do you have a separate shelf where you keep your "not incredible" game collection because dang this is an all-star lineup here.

I like the PC Gamer spine art. Nintendo Power did the same thing. One of the series had a portrait of Mario but they accidentally duplicated a slice of it on one issue so he ends up with three eyes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Remember Norton Change Disk?

2-pane navigation/file editing, mouse support...poo poo was glorious. My dad had it installed on every computer we had growing up, and I remember being really confused when I'd go on my friends/school computers and "ncd" would give me the good ol' "bad command or file name"

2-pane navigation still rules and Xplorer^2 is like the first program I re-install on every computer

VVVVVVVVV I think ncd was actually released with Norton Utilities originally, but IIRC NU and NC were pretty similar overall (I think NU was rolled into NC?)

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Feb 9, 2016

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Ah the Norton Commander, Linux has the Midnight Commander which is pretty much the same in many ways and is still pretty useful if you remote connect via SSH and some-such. Amiga had Directory Opus which I felt always was a bit more functional because you had the rows of scriptable buttons. There's also sort of an spiritual successor for the original Directory Opus, called Worker - also for Linux. Feels at first like a very convoluted and outdated mess but it grows on you. Directory Opus is still made for Windows, I think. No idea if it even still does the 2-pane thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Lost so many hours to this game. The single player Risk-like campaign was alright but I would play the survival mode as the little Dragon and see how many waves I could get through just by overheating bigger bots with the flamethrower. Great times.