Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like that Liliana is involved but that name's dumb as hell. Then again so is "oath of the gatewatch" and we're already used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

There she iiiis.

Entropic posted:

I like that Liliana is involved but that name's dumb as hell. Then again so is "oath of the gatewatch" and we're already used to it.

Excuse me, Eldritch Moon pretty much is screaming "This is a Lovecraft Take on Innistrad, Emrakul is involved."

Emrakul hosed with the moon and that's fabulous.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bets on if Argyle manages to twist Liliana's torso a full 180 degrees this time?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Why wasn't this there yesterday?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zoness posted:

talk about a mood killer

Prepare for an unbalanced mechanic and a bunch of cards for his Commander deck!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
To offer another way of thinking on the "is Eldrazi fast or slow" debate, while it may not be consistently killing people on turn 4 of earlier, it is consistently playing above curve, which inherently gives it the feeling of speed (or at the very least, playing at a different speed than its counterparts). I think the crucial second component is that it features almost iron-clad inevitability in the form of Eye's tutor. Other decks that can blitz you and occasionally fall short and need to rely on the top of their deck for inevitability (think: Burn, Infect looking for pump spells, etc..) are doing just that: relying on the top of their deck for inevitability. Eldrazi plays its inevitability turn 1, tries to smash you with 4/4's and 5/5's, and if it doesn't draw them or they get removed, it's a known matter of time before more are on the way. That "vice grip" feeling makes it very hard for a fair deck to play ball, as its answers are stripped from hand, a 2-1 against itself, and/or unable to compete with repeatable tutors.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Bets on if Argyle manages to twist Liliana's torso a full 180 degrees this time?

I hope she does a full 360 and planeswalks away

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Why wasn't this there yesterday?

Probably don't have a cool preview video to go with it.

Also they probably don't want to take too much attention away from Shadows Over Innistrad just yet.

But yeah, Ken Nagle working as lead makes me a little annoyed, since I was very, very excited for a Lovecraft Themed set.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
we bloodborne now

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
"Eldritch moon" is a terrible name. It sounds like the name of some anime intro song where the bands like to give their songs English names but don't know what they mean.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

quote:

Ken Nagle

Shitlords over Innistrad

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The real question is why in the gently caress they didn't announce it on stream when they had 35000 viewers.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Angry Grimace posted:

The real question is why in the gently caress they didn't announce it on stream when they had 35000 viewers.

They spent its alloted time re-re-clarifying unified team rules.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean if they're tutoring they managed to naturally get 8 lands in play.

Also it seems weird to spoil the second set when there are literally zero official SoI spoilers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ah, good to know we'll be getting another Tamiyo.
UR Tammy with Blood Moon effect, BC Lili who makes eldrazombies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean if they're tutoring they managed to naturally get 8 lands in play.

Also it seems weird to spoil the second set when there are literally zero official SoI spoilers.

Maybe they need to pump out the new stuff faster now given how they changed the release schedule?

Eldritch Moon is scheduled for July, which is 3 months after Shadows. Which means we can probably expect the sets after that to come out in like, October, then January.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ah, good to know we'll be getting another Tamiyo.

Liliana, The Tamiyo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Most of the sets Ken Nagle has lead have actually been fine. He's a weird awkward dude, but he apparently comes up with tons and tons of designs and the rest of R&D are able to keep his dumber ideas from actually being made.

He lead Fate Reforged, and my only real complaint about that set was that the preponderance of bomb rares was annoying for limited, but that's more a development issue than a design one.

Return to Ravnica was overall a good design too. Dragon's Maze was the weak link in that block. (Well, that and Boros being too good in Gatecrash.)

People overstate his awfulness because we hear about the weird dumb mechanics he never got printed but tend to ignore all the good stuff that actually did make it into sets.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Most of the sets Ken Nagle has lead have actually been fine. He's a weird awkward dude, but he apparently comes up with tons and tons of designs and the rest of R&D are able to keep his dumber ideas from actually being made.

He lead Fate Reforged, and my only real complaint about that set was that the preponderance of bomb rares was annoying for limited, but that's more a development issue than a design one.

Return to Ravnica was overall a good design too. Dragon's Maze was the weak link in that block. (Well, that and Boros being too good in Gatecrash.)

People overstate his awfulness because we hear about the weird dumb mechanics he never got printed but tend to ignore all the good stuff that actually did make it into sets.

Without Ken Nagle, we would never have that "Plays Rest In Piece Against Manaless Dredge, gets blown out by Helm of Obedience" clip that plays on SCG.

Thank you Ken Nagle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

"Eldritch moon" is a terrible name. It sounds like the name of some anime intro song where the bands like to give their songs English names but don't know what they mean.

I hope its set abbreviation is EMO.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

I'm actually mad/disappointed at Ken Nagle because we haven't seen any recent cosplay.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I hope its set abbreviation is EMO.

I think it's EMN but I was really hoping for ELM or EDM.

Entropic posted:

lol drs

I hate ken nagle because he hates everything I love in magic. If people want to go along w/ my hatred that is ok w/ me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

Liliana, The Tamiyo

Liliana, Eldritch Moonsocks

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

I think it's EMN but I was really hoping for ELM or EDM.

it's EMN yeah

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

he apparently comes up with tons and tons of designs and the rest of R&D are able to keep his dumber ideas from actually being made.

So that's why him leading is not encouraging, even if it's just on the face of it. I'm perfectly good with him designing Monastery Swiftspear or something.

Zoness posted:

I hate ken nagle because he hates everything I love in magic.

Same.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i like ken nagle because we need someone to think of mechanics like "shuffle cards into your opponent's deck" even if 99% of them never get made, because otherwise every new block mechanic is "kicker variant" or "put +1/+1 counters on dudes."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That is a dumb as hell name, which is a shame cause Shadows over Innistrad was actually a pretty nice allusion

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good Ken Nagle cosplay ideas:

Enthralling victor
Pia or Kiran Nalaar
expedition land Hallowed Fountain
ELM Tamiyo or Liliana, no art for the former yet so it's a tossup

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

That moon doesn't look oblong at all

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean the eldrazi are actually meant to be weird. I'm sure Nagle will come up with something that makes pwnage look evergreen.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it will own if this means blood moon functional reprint that turns non-basics into wastes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and before you pedantically reply, yes i know waste isnt a type, you know what im getting at

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

it will own if this means blood moon functional reprint that turns non-basics into wastes

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Call it Odd Moon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oh man they even have the templating ready to go, i want it to happen

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

That is a dumb as hell name, which is a shame cause Shadows over Innistrad was actually a pretty nice allusion

Market testing showed that our focus groups didn't understand the flavor we built into SOI, so we made them more explicit in EMN

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cynic Jester posted:

Call it Odd Moon.

Call it Make Contact.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Count Bleck posted:

Call it Make Contact.

That's no moon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Market testing showed that our focus groups didn't understand the flavor we built into SOI, so we made them more explicit in EMN

I could believe this lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

But seriously why is it in the past two years there's been a lot of media that is just huge lovecraft references?

Did people finally realize that it's an audience that loves when their stuff gets referenced?

• Locked thread