Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Do any of you guys have experience in an escalation style league for 30k? I put out a poll last night on the area's FB page and got a surprising response. So I want to try and get this going, looking for any advice as I've never run one before, let alone for 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Eehhh... 30k really works best in 2k+. You could do a ViV campaign until you get to 1k and then move on to proper armies from there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

When do the Thousand Sons get dusted?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hencoe posted:

Do any of you guys have experience in an escalation style league for 30k? I put out a poll last night on the area's FB page and got a surprising response. So I want to try and get this going, looking for any advice as I've never run one before, let alone for 30k.

We're doing an escalation league right now. Low points 30k matches are actually pretty cool because you have to be real thoughtful about what you take.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hencoe posted:

There are ways in Book IV and Book V to run smaller games. I would start there. Zone Mortalis and Kill Team type games - then grow into 1500 to 2000+ sized games over time. It is absolutely doable. What you DON'T want to do is start with Book I and say "Lets play the campaign from the beginning." That is the largest Space Marine battle in "history" (Istvaan) - so not a good place for an escalation league.

I am working on plans for an escalation league in my area as well. So I'm happy to share what I come up with.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Eehhh... 30k really works best in 2k+. You could do a ViV campaign until you get to 1k and then move on to proper armies from there.

Zone Mortalis.

:getin:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Zone Mortalis.

:getin:

Let me know when I can buy a full 3x3' or 4x4' set tyvm.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DJ Dizzy posted:

I want to start small because while I know one or two of the guys have an okay collection, many are just starting. Still need to talk with the local shop owners (which is won't be a problem, they won't tell me no) but they will want it after their league. So I won't get started for like a month or so. Kind of hoping book 6 has cool stuff for smaller battles as well.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Tom Brady.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Let me know when I can buy a full 3x3' or 4x4' set tyvm.

I was going to ask what's your level of tolerance to mental anguish, but then I realized the way I set things up you can easily crank out the entire 4x4' board and then add the décor at your own pace, which could very well be never.

"Easily" is still relative :v:

Also I noticed my boards were only 10x12" gently caress

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

I was going to ask what's your level of tolerance to mental anguish, but then I realized the way I set things up you can easily crank out the entire 4x4' board and then add the décor at your own pace, which could very well be never.

"Easily" is still relative :v:

Also I noticed my boards were only 10x12" gently caress

what is this and who do i give my money to to acquire it

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what is this and who do i give my money to to acquire it

Hirst Arts molds + SketchUp, to plan how to build the ZM board. You make your own tiles and assemble them; in this case I copied the official layouts and made a couple of extra ones since otherwise on a full board you'd have duplicates.

But I wasn't kidding about the anguish part. A single board piece (1x1') requires 144 individually casted tiles, not counting whatever else you need for the walls and decorations.
The minimum for a 500 pts game is 2x2', which is four board pieces or a whole 576 casted tiles, plus the mountains of extras for the walls.
The full 4x4' is 16 board pieces, or 2304 tiles :suicide:

Still, it's pretty easy to get going and comes out considerably cheaper and lighter than FW's if you don't mind not having the official board's aesthetics.
This guy is doing the same thing, but with a very different setup for the walls. IMO I like the chunkier ones but his results are fantastic.

Also kickass for Frostgrave.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 8, 2016

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Mango Polo posted:

Hirst Arts molds + SketchUp, to plan how to build the ZM board. You make your own tiles and assemble them; in this case I copied the official layouts and made a couple of extra ones since otherwise on a full board you'd have duplicates.

But I wasn't kidding about the anguish part. A single board piece (1x1') requires 144 individually casted tiles, not counting whatever else you need for the walls and decorations.
The minimum for a 500 pts game is 2x2', which is four board pieces or a whole 576 casted tiles, plus the mountains of extras for the walls.

Still, it's pretty easy to get going and comes out considerably cheaper and lighter than FW's if you don't mind not having the official board's aesthetics.
This guy is doing the same thing, but with a very different setup for the walls. IMO I like the chunkier ones but his results are fantastic.

The board he is making looks awesome so far. I used a lot of the HA Castle Molds stuff for D&D back when I was playing that a lot. It was fun stuff to work with, but doing a project that way is insane...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

The board he is making looks awesome so far. I used a lot of the HA Castle Molds stuff for D&D back when I was playing that a lot. It was fun stuff to work with, but doing a project that way is insane...

Well, it's either that or 450 pounds :(
It seems scary, but you can crank out the tiles at a steady pace with little effort and no babysitting while you do other things like paint.
The guy I linked is using a ton of different pieces so it's definitely a bit nightmarish. Sticking with a more uniform look though makes it seem a lot less daunting.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm tinkering with some Dark Angels lists and, man, I am really not used to these point costs. Someone suggested I run a unit of 7 plasma repeater support dudes with an apothecary in a land raider proteus with the scout thing. At higher points values, of course.
270+250+45 = 565 :shepface:

Also, 5 acid dickbikes go for 230 points. :getin: I'm wondering if it'd even be worth running a multi-melta or some other weapon in a squad like that, but I'm kind of leaning towards no.

My first thought for the army is a 1000 point list with a Delegatus and a couple of veteran squads. Two 10-man units with acid suspensor heavy bolters, a war blade sergeant, and a rhino. That'll leave about 300 points to tinker with. Unfortunately, the vet squads need to be full 10-mans so they can get two heavy bolters. The Delegatus is going to have to find a mob to hang out in or a maybe a ride somewhere else. The list will probably need some sort of anti-vehicle too.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Put the delegatus on a dickbike and run a small unit of them. Maybe a laser rapier or two for AT? Couldn't tell you if that fits off the top of my head.
I looked it up, With two laser rapiers you should have roughly 35 points left, if centurion scimitar is 45 like I remember, but that's on a bare centurion. So add a terranic great sword and a refractor?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 8, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Do you have the BOM for this? Like, X of tile Y etc? :v:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

Also, 5 acid dickbikes go for 230 points. :getin: I'm wondering if it'd even be worth running a multi-melta or some other weapon in a squad like that, but I'm kind of leaning towards no.

I'd say not worth it unless you are running a unit of 6 so you can at least get 2 multi-meltas.

I'm picking up a bunch of them so I can have an emperor's champ on a wang bike. Outflank him with the Emperor's Children right of war and a couple friends on bikes and it's a tough unit to shift.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

panascope posted:

We're doing an escalation league right now. Low points 30k matches are actually pretty cool because you have to be real thoughtful about what you take.

Ghost Hand posted:

There are ways in Book IV and Book V to run smaller games. I would start there. Zone Mortalis and Kill Team type games - then grow into 1500 to 2000+ sized games over time. It is absolutely doable. What you DON'T want to do is start with Book I and say "Lets play the campaign from the beginning." That is the largest Space Marine battle in "history" (Istvaan) - so not a good place for an escalation league.

I am working on plans for an escalation league in my area as well. So I'm happy to share what I come up with.

Thanks to the both of you, I would love to hear how you guys do/did it, mine won't be for a bit I feel.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Drake_263 posted:

Ooof, why must my OCD be so strong and FW so expensive. I want to buy ten MKV assault marines, ten MKIII tacticals and a breacher upgrade kit to make some veterans and they're something like 150 pounds for twenty dudes and some bits.

You'd spend more on a hooker. Get the resin space mans.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We played some hh recently in Mitchigan

http://imgur.com/gallery/ePeMq

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I've been doodling a 2500 point Ironwing list and I'm pretty sure this is the base:

5 terminators with a paragon blade praetor in a Spartan.

2 units of 10 marines with bolters/combat blades and an artificer armored sarge with a calibinite blade in Rhinos

8 plasma support marines in a Proteus

A Contemptor Mortis with assault cannons

6 dickbikes with acid bolters

3 Predators, likely with predator cannons and lascannon sponsons

The RoW seems pretty awesome here- BS5 on the preds, tank hunters on the Mortis and not needing dozer blades on all the tanks. There's a lot of flexibility on upgrades and I'm not sure where to focus because of it. I've been considering ceramite and flare shields on the Spartan and the land raider, or maybe trying to squeeze in a Primus Medicae for the terminators. I'm also kind of torn between plasma rifles and repeaters for the support squad. There's a really impressive amount of firepower but it also maybe feels that my 4 small scoring units is dangerous even with all the armor.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

muggins posted:

can you get better pictures/details on that IW cataphractii terminator conversion?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I've been doodling a 2500 point Ironwing list and I'm pretty sure this is the base:

2 units of 10 marines with bolters/combat blades and an artificer armored sarge with a calibinite blade in Rhinos

The RoW seems pretty awesome here- BS5 on the preds, tank hunters on the Mortis and not needing dozer blades on all the tanks. There's a lot of flexibility on upgrades and I'm not sure where to focus because of it. I've been considering ceramite and flare shields on the Spartan and the land raider, or maybe trying to squeeze in a Primus Medicae for the terminators. I'm also kind of torn between plasma rifles and repeaters for the support squad. There's a really impressive amount of firepower but it also maybe feels that my 4 small scoring units is dangerous even with all the armor.

For the plasma support squad I would consider a drop pod pod or flier with less bodies. The proteus costs more and while its more durable, it's easier to avoid. If you single out a target on turn 1 or two and drop near it, blast it with 21 twin linked plasma shots with shred... well... its gonna have a bad day. Just 5 dudes will kill 6.5 terminators or delete 13 MEQ. 7 will kill about 9 or 18 MEQ. Even most primarchs are gonna be dead meat. It ain't cheap, but if you get it where you want it its gone.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Do you have the BOM for this? Like, X of tile Y etc? :v:

Not yet, but shouldn't be long till I do.

e. So here we go, that's the tally of parts for the board piece with just one wall segment.

For a naked board, you'd need 144 of your favourite ground tiles. In my case that's 3 tiles per mold per cast.
For the naked walls, 1" or 2x 0.5" thick foam boards makes the whole thing easy and light.
If using my design, you also need 2 wall footprint markers per wall section, approximately. Good thing these are cast from the same mold as the regular floor.

Conclusion: floor tiles are the real time sink. Casting multiple molds at the same time is dead easy, so I'd recommend 2x molds with the floor tiles and then you can cast in parallel your accessories.

Alternatively, you can massively accelerate things by using 1.5" tiles which you can cast out 3 to 6 of simultaneously depending on the type's mold. But then you lose out on the very convenient 1" nature of the tiles.

Being sick at home is fun!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 9, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

can you get better pictures/details on that IW cataphractii terminator conversion?

I'll see if I can get the dude to post some pics

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Not yet, but shouldn't be long till I do.

e. So here we go, that's the tally of parts for the board piece with just one wall segment.

For a naked board, you'd need 144 of your favourite ground tiles. In my case that's 3 tiles per mold per cast.
For the naked walls, 1" or 2x 0.5" thick foam boards makes the whole thing easy and light.
If using my design, you also need 2 wall footprint markers per wall section, approximately. Good thing these are cast from the same mold as the regular floor.

Conclusion: floor tiles are the real time sink. Casting multiple molds at the same time is dead easy, so I'd recommend 2x molds with the floor tiles and then you can cast in parallel your accessories.

Alternatively, you can massively accelerate things by using 1.5" tiles which you can cast out 3 to 6 of simultaneously depending on the type's mold. But then you lose out on the very convenient 1" nature of the tiles.

Being sick at home is fun!

Now calculate how much it'd cost me for someone else to do it for me instead. :v:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

I'm a fan of the scouting-support-squad-in-Proteus idea (I was the guy Safety_Factor mentioned who recommended one) and while I think Bulbasaur's point re drop pods is certainly valid, I think it's also influenced by his extensive 30k-in-40k experience. On paper at least, I think Land Raiders have a lot more value, and Outflanking has a lot more value, when the only opponents are 30k. Also, Outflanking, you can use the bulk of the Land Raider to protect your very expensive squad and make wiping them out, while always achievable, a real pain in the rear end. I will say that if you have the slot, I think trading a 30-to-40-point plasma gun guy for a 55-to-70-point Apothecary is a real force multiplier when you've got the Land Raider to limit exposure to poo poo like Typhons.

Edit: With Repeaters, you're not going to get their maximum value until the turn after you deploy them, because of Salvo--6" and two shots on the turn they arrive instead of 12" and 3. The squad will die quickly either way, but if you don't think you can keep them functional past their arrival turn and you really are just using them as a single turn suicide squad , skip repeaters.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 9, 2016

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

muggins posted:

Whereabouts? I'm in Ann Arbor and would love to slam local hams.

When do you guys think Book VI will be available online?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Now calculate how much it'd cost me for someone else to do it for me instead. :v:

A mere four fifty.
Or half that with four of these.

DrPop posted:

Whereabouts? I'm in Ann Arbor and would love to slam local hams.

When do you guys think Book VI will be available online?

I just got an email from FW letting me know that I should expect my replacement AoD book in 2-3 weeks - much better than the staff's initial estimate of 7-8 weeks.
You can expect the same for Book 6.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 9, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

For the plasma support squad I would consider a drop pod pod or flier with less bodies. The proteus costs more and while its more durable, it's easier to avoid. If you single out a target on turn 1 or two and drop near it, blast it with 21 twin linked plasma shots with shred... well... its gonna have a bad day. Just 5 dudes will kill 6.5 terminators or delete 13 MEQ. 7 will kill about 9 or 18 MEQ. Even most primarchs are gonna be dead meat. It ain't cheap, but if you get it where you want it its gone.

Sulecrist posted:

I'm a fan of the scouting-support-squad-in-Proteus idea (I was the guy Safety_Factor mentioned who recommended one) and while I think Bulbasaur's point re drop pods is certainly valid, I think it's also influenced by his extensive 30k-in-40k experience. On paper at least, I think Land Raiders have a lot more value, and Outflanking has a lot more value, when the only opponents are 30k. Also, Outflanking, you can use the bulk of the Land Raider to protect your very expensive squad and make wiping them out, while always achievable, a real pain in the rear end. I will say that if you have the slot, I think trading a 30-to-40-point plasma gun guy for a 55-to-70-point Apothecary is a real force multiplier when you've got the Land Raider to limit exposure to poo poo like Typhons.

Edit: With Repeaters, you're not going to get their maximum value until the turn after you deploy them, because of Salvo--6" and two shots on the turn they arrive instead of 12" and 3. The squad will die quickly either way, but if you don't think you can keep them functional past their arrival turn and you really are just using them as a single turn suicide squad , skip repeaters.

I think I'm gonna leave them in the land raider, mostly because they're going to need to grab objectives pretty often and I feel like I need to give them a good shot at survivability- I figure they're a huge magnet for fire but I can't afford to play with them as a suicide squad since so many of my points have to get committed to tanks. Definitely rifles over repeaters though.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Not only are your breasts flat, but you're also boring.
Heya, Ive read the OP and done a bit of research on 30k and I'm very excited to start making an army. I've chosen the Word Bearers as my legion but I was wondering what the best entry point is to collecting a word bearers force. I have the Betrayal at Calth box, should i get more than one? Is the forgeworld box + bits a good deal or would it be better to just buy marines + bits?

I'm looking to do smaller games at first, but I'd like to get a 2k force to play against my girlfriend who wants to start Ultramarines.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Anny-Mouse posted:

Heya, Ive read the OP and done a bit of research on 30k and I'm very excited to start making an army. I've chosen the Word Bearers as my legion but I was wondering what the best entry point is to collecting a word bearers force. I have the Betrayal at Calth box, should i get more than one? Is the forgeworld box + bits a good deal or would it be better to just buy marines + bits?

I'm looking to do smaller games at first, but I'd like to get a 2k force to play against my girlfriend who wants to start Ultramarines.

Are you in the UK or US or Aus or what? I think the relative value of FW's Calth Plus X bundles depend a lot on how much of a discount you can get normally. Personally, I don't think you need a full set of upgrade pieces for every guy, although I do like having a molded shoulder pad for each Marine. Also, for Ultramarines and Word Bearers specifically, I think each army will probably want one Calth set. Neither will be okay with only 15 Marines, and neither really needs 60, especially not starting out and/or at 2k points.

Question of my own: considering a [Sons of Horus] Praevian with two Castellax. Are any builds meaningfully better or worse than others? I'm considering Scout + Multi-Meltas or Tank Hunters + Darkfire Cannons.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I've done tank hunters + Darkfire cannons with an enhanced targeting array. It worked like a dream.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Are you in the UK or US or Aus or what? I think the relative value of FW's Calth Plus X bundles depend a lot on how much of a discount you can get normally. Personally, I don't think you need a full set of upgrade pieces for every guy, although I do like having a molded shoulder pad for each Marine. Also, for Ultramarines and Word Bearers specifically, I think each army will probably want one Calth set. Neither will be okay with only 15 Marines, and neither really needs 60, especially not starting out and/or at 2k points.

Question of my own: considering a [Sons of Horus] Praevian with two Castellax. Are any builds meaningfully better or worse than others? I'm considering Scout + Multi-Meltas or Tank Hunters + Darkfire Cannons.

US

Typically how many marines are fielded in a 2k game? Whats a typical casual list look like thats not insano bonkers on the FW stuff but maybe has like primarchs or whatever smaller dudes

Anny-Mouse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 9, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Outside the Calth box all 30k is FW models. If you are not interested in Giving GW Money there are a number of reliable recasters that will happily make you your tanks and robits and fighter planes at a substantial discount off of list. For the more reputable route, the Calth box is a big step towards 2k points if you use the Pride of the Legion RoW and model the marines as veterans- you can then pick up a tank or a flyer or something and be well along to 2k.

Additionally, eBay has the Calth stuff parted out for pretty cheap, so getting additional termies and contemptors isn't too painful and also lets you scale up nicely.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I think I'm gonna leave them in the land raider, mostly because they're going to need to grab objectives pretty often and I feel like I need to give them a good shot at survivability- I figure they're a huge magnet for fire but I can't afford to play with them as a suicide squad since so many of my points have to get committed to tanks. Definitely rifles over repeaters though.
I think repeaters might be worth giving a shot. You won't be able to pile out and unload three shots, but those two you will get will still be twin-linked if only at 6". That'll get more hits, mitigate Gets Hot, and it's not like S7 matters over S6 if you're shooting at T4 dudes. The big issue is range, obviously. If they get charged it'll also be a nasty overwatch before they die horribly. This isn't directed at you specifically, but I just feel that if you're going to play Dark Angels you should try to work in their unique wargear wherever possible. It helps make up for their really lackluster legion rules.

On that note: I have no idea how to put stasis missiles into a list. I like stasis grenades in 40k and in 30k where almost everything is a mirror match dropping marines to I3 could be a big deal. The problem is that nothing in the legion list can actually take grenade launchers so missiles are the only option. You don't have to upgrade every missile launcher in a unit with these things so it could be possible to take a small heavy support squad and give one guy, maybe the sergeant, stasis missiles. Just an idea, but one I'm not particularly enamored with. Veteran tactical squads can take missile launchers with suspensors, but my plan with them is to run suspensor acid bolters so that's out too. Destroyers get rad missile launchers, but firing a stasis shell means you're not using the nasty ammunition they come with. If they can even be upgraded to have stasis shells. The unit entry says rad missiles and no other type. I don't know how that interacts with these new rounds. Probably a bad idea regardless. Hell, if combi grenade launchers could use these dumb shells I'd go that route, but that's not an option. It would also be the first time those would ever see the table anywhere. Good job, Forge World.

Anny-Mouse
Mar 1, 2008

Outside the Calth box all 30k is FW models. If you are not interested in Giving GW Money there are a number of reliable recasters that will happily make you your tanks and robits and fighter planes at a substantial discount off of list. For the more reputable route, the Calth box is a big step towards 2k points if you use the Pride of the Legion RoW and model the marines as veterans- you can then pick up a tank or a flyer or something and be well along to 2k.

Additionally, eBay has the Calth stuff parted out for pretty cheap, so getting additional termies and contemptors isn't too painful and also lets you scale up nicely.

Cool! I'm down to buy FW stuff but not the like £250 for one model type stuff yet. Like a £44 commander is a-ok and those possessed marines are fine too. I'm glad the calth box is a good forward momentum buy, we might get 3 of them and share the 3rd. Finding old rear end rhinos shouldnt be that hard right? :)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Hell, if combi grenade launchers could use these dumb shells I'd go that route, but that's not an option. It would also be the first time those would ever see the table anywhere. Good job, Forge World.

Are you sure that's not an option? Because if combi-grenades don't work, then the whole "grenade launcher" part makes zero sense. I can see excluding grenade harnesses, but not combis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Are you sure that's not an option? Because if combi-grenades don't work, then the whole "grenade launcher" part makes zero sense. I can see excluding grenade harnesses, but not combis.

Seconding this, it's still a grenade launcher, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to use the stasis shell.