Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

ZigZag posted:

Is there a mod that gets rid of the dog? Or replaces it with a cat, molerat or just anything thats not a dog?

There are/were two, one replaced dogmeat with catmeat, that had no animations, another that vanished and used the buttercup mesh.
Essentially, dogmeat while being somewhat useful, will always block doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
drat that sucks, can i at least chain him in the yard and forget about him?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ZigZag posted:

drat that sucks, can i at least chain him in the yard and forget about him?

Chains are not an option, but you can talk to Dogmeat and tell him to go to any workshop you control. If there's a doghouse there, he'll hang out inside, otherwise he'll just wander around it.

I sent him to a big farm in the country where he could run around all day and chase radstags.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Been thinkin bout lockpicking and its minigame and how it can be changed up. Mod idea: Any lock is pickable at any level, and picks never break. Still keep the different difficulty levels, but instead they require a certain number of bobbypins, necessitating the player buying/scavenging/building more picks. It would be more like the original Deus Ex in that regard. I feel like since F4 is all about gathering resources and being a klepto, this could go over into the minigames. Was thinking about hack software for the hacking minigame too. Holotapes you could load, that sorta thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't think there's any way of saving the hacking minigame from being boring drudgery which is why they wisely made hacking pretty much unnecessary for any of the game. There's almost always a lock you can pick instead and I've only run into a couple places where you couldn't get an item or something unless you hacked a terminal. I always just put three perks into lockpicking and none in hacking.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I get why people don't like the hacking minigame (even though they seriously trivialized it this time around), but the lockpicking game takes like two seconds. Do people really hate it that much?

I wish there was just more stuff in safes and behind locks/computers to actually make the whole thing actually worthwhile.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Once you get used to how lockpicking works (i.e. if you ever played Skyrim or FO3) it's super fast and easy to do. And picks are so plentiful that the 4th rank of Lockpick is completely unnecessary. Hacking is just slow and annoying though, and I can see why you'd want to bypass it.

I just ignore hacking entirely because I don't think there's a single quest in the game that you can't complete with zero perk points in it, and you're only missing out a few random item containers.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I got rid of both because I wasn't having any trouble unlocking things but I was still spending time doing them. At that point, gently caress-it-it's-already-unlocked. The minigames were at no point fun and haven't been for years.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

As far as I can tell anything that isn't just a container of random loot can be bypassed with no perk investment except for the cryolator and grognag's ax. Even then those aren't quest related, they just aren't random.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Familiarity breeds contempt and the problem for most people seems to be that if you've picked one lock or hacked one beth computer you've done them all. Changing it up probably wouldn't help anything, but at least the game lets you effectively cheat through them all now with dogmeat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edit: Missed new page.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I feel like they could improve the hacking minigame just by adding more lock images. Or make it real time so there's actual consequences to breaking picks.

The hacking minigame blows my mind because they added so many actual minigames and no one thought to make hacking active like say bioshock did.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Glazius posted:

Chains are not an option, but you can talk to Dogmeat and tell him to go to any workshop you control. If there's a doghouse there, he'll hang out inside, otherwise he'll just wander around it.

I sent him to a big farm in the country where he could run around all day and chase radstags.

If you buy a dog from that random guy and send it to the same settlement as Dogmeat, and only leave them one doghouse, they will play together, and it's awesome.

Still waiting for Bethesda to fix the loading times issue with the latest patch.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

dj_clawson posted:

If you buy a dog from that random guy and send it to the same settlement as Dogmeat, and only leave them one doghouse, they will play together, and it's awesome.

Still waiting for Bethesda to fix the loading times issue with the latest patch.

Turn off in game vertical sync, (via ini I think,) enable it through your gpu. caveat is: lockpicking becomes silly fast. however it speeds up loading times.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

staberind posted:

Turn off in game vertical sync, (via ini I think,) enable it through your gpu. caveat is: lockpicking becomes silly fast. however it speeds up loading times.

I did it through nvidia, and so far it has lowered my graphics, but not changed the loadtimes for the wasteland.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

staberind posted:

Be careful when you do that with Bethesda games. At least in previous ones, important game logic is tied to the frame rate, which can break some things like, all the scripts, the physics engine, or the day/night cycle.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

captain innocuous posted:

Be careful when you do that with Bethesda games. At least in previous ones, important game logic is tied to the frame rate, which can break some things like, all the scripts, the physics engine, or the day/night cycle.

Yeah, that's why I've been really reluctant to follow-up on all of the guides to altering the code.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, next suggestion is borderless windowed mode.

Although I have only just updated to latest patch,and have yet to mess around with the ini's to get back my previous quality/speed.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

staberind posted:

No, it doesn't. Lockpicking becoming silly fast, that is. I limit my FPS via Nvidia Inspector to 59 and lockpicking, reloading animation and all the other poo poo that's tied to frame rate is normal.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I did not limit I guess.
I am overhauling scrap at the moment,
I find it odd that the only thing left of a rusty car that can explode like a mini-nuke is 15 steel, so, a few springs, a bit of glass, screws, aluminium, plastic, some things from corvega and nuclear material.
Houses also get a few extra's
I'll go through all the scrappable objects and add a few things that you expect to find in them.
if anyone has any requests, I'll try to add them.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 8, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

staberind posted:

I did not limit I guess.
I am overhauling scrap at the moment,
I find it odd that the only thing left of a rusty car that can explode like a mini-nuke is 15 steel, so, a few springs, a bit of glass, screws, aluminium, plastic, some things from corvega and nuclear material.
Houses also get a few extra's
I'll go through all the scrappable objects and add a few things that you expect to find in them.
if anyone has any requests, I'll try to add them.

Probably obvious, but it irks me that Blast Radius does not give any plastic
Copper, rubber, and circuits definitely belong in poo poo like tvs, ovens, and refrigerators.
actually, i could probably go on forever about this, good luck in your endeavor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The cars thing is so that you don't get a supply of the rare stuff early in sanctuary.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

hobbesmaster posted:

The cars thing is so that you don't get a supply of the rare stuff early in sanctuary.

Or to simulate that all the good stuff has already been picked off of them. in the ~200 years since the end.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

The rare stuff that you can't use since you don't have the perks to use them.

LumberingTroll posted:

Or to simulate that all the good stuff has already been picked off of them. in the ~200 years since the end.

So explain Codsworth being alive, or the computer left in working condition, the bunker filled with gold, etc.
I get that items shouldn't give too many components because "survival", but there is no survival element to the game other than gathering scrap.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nasgate posted:

The rare stuff that you can't use since you don't have the perks to use them.

So explain Codsworth being alive, or the computer left in working condition, the bunker filled with gold, etc.
I get that items shouldn't give too many components because "survival", but there is no survival element to the game other than gathering scrap.

Codsworth has a buzzsaw arm and computers are for nerds.

Gold is a useless metal with no value when it comes to scavenging for basic survival, and only deluded fools with no grasp of reality stockpile gold thinking it will be of value after the end times. Food,water and guns/ammo would be way more valuable, and gold is a loving worthless construction material.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 8, 2016

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Someone made an approximation of That Gun using only vanilla assets.

:shittypop:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The firing speed needs a little love but goddamn this is good

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

That's neat as hell, but I never noticed the cylinder spins back and forth when the hammer's drawn.

This is what happens when you don't have a rope kid :v:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
CROSS Cybernetics Exo-Frame

I want to see Brotherhood initiates using this stuff. Very cool!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

Copper, rubber, and circuits definitely belong in poo poo like tvs, ovens, and refrigerators.
actually, i could probably go on forever about this, good luck in your endeavor.

Added,
Anything electronic has copper now, tv's also have glass. radio's have a crystal.
plastic added to lots of items.
Larger items now give more, example : baby bottles & big baby bottles. flasks etc.
Whats the consensus on paper items like burned grognak comics and so on, cloth?
its strange that paper/cardboard is not included.

I have no idea where the tv is. found radio's no problem.

staberind fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 8, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I need a mod that lets you put a frag mine in your empty power armor, so that when NPCs try to joyride with it, they explode :argh:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
No explosives required, just remove the core when you get out.

E: I highly recommend Power Armor Animation Changes. It makes power armor entry/exit always use the fast in-combat animations instead the painfully scenic 'hey look, it's power armor, isn't that cool' default animations. Or, you can choose to remove animations entirely for near-instant entry/exit. Also has an option to make core insertion instant, which should reduce tedium in light of the above.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 8, 2016

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Cathair posted:

No explosives required, just remove the core when you get out.
That doesn't explode the uppity farmer who decided to hop in for a quick punchup with some raiders though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nasgate posted:

Blast radius' game pieces are all made out of uranium obv.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm jumping into Fallout 4 now after loving my heavily modded Skyrims and New Vegases. The OP hasn't been updated since the end of November. Are people still using NMM for mods or has Mod Organizer support become good enough and did the Script Extender also get done?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

I'm jumping into Fallout 4 now after loving my heavily modded Skyrims and New Vegases. The OP hasn't been updated since the end of November. Are people still using NMM for mods or has Mod Organizer support become good enough and did the Script Extender also get done?

Afaik, nmm still works the best. Autoupdates, modders build around it. I think once the geck comes out it could change though.

No script extender I know of.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I havent updated the op because things are still in a lot of flux, MO works just fine, and there is limited support for running exes through it now. in fact a new version just came out 5 horus ago. https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Nasgate posted:

No script extender I know of.

F4SE doesn't have too many functions yet, but it's been working for months and can be found right where you'd expect it to be. It's already needed for a few groovy new mods like Place Everywhere, which negates all red-zone prohibitions in settlement building without the need for Cheatengine workarounds.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I feel like I enjoy the concept of settlement mods more than the mods themselves. I installed a bunch and now the menus take ages to sort through. But I can't decide which ones to gut, either. Homemaker, DDProductions All In One, Alternate Settlements, Snap'n Build, and OCDecorator (if you want to count it) all have features I enjoy - but also, simply too many options. I just wish the UI was better for sorting through all the garbage.

On a somewhat related note, the SK version of OCDecorator crashes my game for some reason, so before I go through and reinstall a bunch of these as non-SK versions, which ones do you guys consider essential or trash, and why? (Alternatively, why the hell does my game crash with OCD when I hover over the 'Workbenches' section :mad:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Combat Power Armor

New powerarmor parts. Look pretty beefy.

• Locked thread