Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

A few years ago when Canada was starting to debate a new fighter purchase, I saw Lockheed Martin ads on the sides of buses in Ottawa. They even put them on the o-train, which is basically a dedicated university service line. Beats me.

"Look at the money we are pumping into your economy, Canada! Imagine the money we will pump building planes!"

Could be worse, they could have bought DeHaviland Canada until the deal fell through, then dump it for almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqtCiQXse9U

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7LErwBNobU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hey look a good youtube comment is first for once!

quote:

I flew that airplane. It eventually became N15DF, in service with Express One International as a cargo aircraft. It is notable for the "hump" on the back; Due to the stress of the RATO bottles, the upper fuselage developed micro-cracks and had to be laminated with several layers of extra aluminum sheet. The result was a visible hump.

-That thing NEVER flew straight! I could never get the rudder trim correct!

edit: is that a tail strike at 33s?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did that helicopter pilot almost die or does he just own a bunch?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

buttcoinbrony posted:

yes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Hey look a good youtube comment is first for once!

Sure looked like it. I'm sure that didn't help the airframe stress.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

It is, but the 727 had a built-in tail bumper, so it isn't as bad as it could be otherwise.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Caconym posted:

The shoe bomber was TATP iirc.

:nsa:

Shoe bomber was TATP and PETN. If he'd had pure TATP, he probably would have gone boom well before ever making it to the aircraft. poo poo is sensitive as hell.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Like a BOSS.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

It is, but the 727 had a built-in tail bumper, so it isn't as bad as it could be otherwise.

That's actually a tail strike indicator, used to alert the crew and maintenance that inspections may be required.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

buttcoinbrony posted:

Well, both, and probably didn't plan his weight and performance sufficiently. I actually just learned about this last week from an unrelated story: when a helo is overloaded, the rotors pitch to a higher angle of attack to try and generate more lift (the rotor speed is designed to remain constant). This increases the drag the rotors are creating, and thus the torque that has to be canceled out by the tail rotor. At a very high AOA, the tail rotor isn't powerful enough to offset the torque and the entire helo starts to spin like that.

What I bet happened is that the helo was fine while cruising to the target area since it was getting translational lift, allowing for a lower rotor AOA. As soon as it slows down to hover, the rotors have to pitch higher, causing more drag and the entire thing starts spinning. As soon as it dumps its water, the weight is lowered and the rotors can pitch back down to a manageable AOA.

Basically everything about helicopters is ridiculously unintuitive. Their flight characteristics are completely alien compared to fixed-wing aircraft and they are primarily held aloft by wishful thinking and voodoo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Helicopters are going to be the first thing to go away when we figure out antigravity poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well, both, and probably didn't plan his weight and performance sufficiently. I actually just learned about this last week from an unrelated story: when a helo is overloaded, the rotors pitch to a higher angle of attack to try and generate more lift (the rotor speed is designed to remain constant). This increases the drag the rotors are creating, and thus the torque that has to be canceled out by the tail rotor. At a very high AOA, the tail rotor isn't powerful enough to offset the torque and the entire helo starts to spin like that.

What I bet happened is that the helo was fine while cruising to the target area since it was getting translational lift, allowing for a lower rotor AOA. As soon as it slows down to hover, the rotors have to pitch higher, causing more drag and the entire thing starts spinning. As soon as it dumps its water, the weight is lowered and the rotors can pitch back down to a manageable AOA.

Basically everything about helicopters is ridiculously unintuitive. Their flight characteristics are completely alien compared to fixed-wing aircraft and they are primarily held aloft by wishful thinking and voodoo.

To be fair, that is a really difficult environment to be flying in. Look at how windy it is too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Now consider quadcopters.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXR1olg_I0w

He more or less nails the stereotypical understanding of flight characteristics everyone has from video games.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nerobro posted:

Now consider quadcopters.

The fact that quadcopters only became a thing after we developed superintelligent, superlightweight computers is an excellent illustration of how bizarre helicopter aerodynamics are.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The fact that quadcopters only became a thing after we developed superintelligent, superlightweight computers is an excellent illustration of how bizarre helicopter aerodynamics are.

It wasn't just the computers, it was also vibrating-structure gyroscopes and MEMS accelerometers. A major part of the navigational problem for the space race was developing gyros that didn't suck.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Helicopters don't seem that bizarre, just that you can't alter one control without having to adjust some other control or have a computer do that for you. Counter-rotating rotors do away with some of the weirder problems, like having to push the cyclic to one side as you gain forward airspeed because a single rotor has unbalanced lift.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They "kinda sorta" were done in the early 90's. Some people built VTOL's using conventional helicopter gyroscopes. If you have a duct, ducts are somewhat self stabilizing. Which makes for some really annoying control problems.

"being aware of orientation" is such a harder problem to solve.

I have trouble getting into that toilet bowl swirl on my helicopters. I should figure out what i'm doing wrong there..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXR1olg_I0w

He more or less nails the stereotypical understanding of flight characteristics everyone has from video games.

My understanding from DCS: Huey is "gently caress helicopters"

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nerobro posted:

They "kinda sorta" were done in the early 90's. Some people built VTOL's using conventional helicopter gyroscopes. If you have a duct, ducts are somewhat self stabilizing. Which makes for some really annoying control problems.

"being aware of orientation" is such a harder problem to solve.

I have trouble getting into that toilet bowl swirl on my helicopters. I should figure out what i'm doing wrong there..

Controls were definitely a factor to the fruition of multirotor remote controlled aircraft, but another factor was the power to weight ratio that was available. LiPos and brushless motors weren't commonplace in RC stuff 10 years ago. Not to mention the FETs capable of handling the power. My first R/C car used a servo to actuate a 3 speed control that literally used gigantic resistors to provide a voltage divider to the 20 turn brushed motor. RC tech has come a really, really, long way for multirotors to exist in the last decade.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Relevant to helicopter chat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qj63KoB7k4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Helicopters really are the ugliest things.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

My understanding from DCS: Huey is "gently caress helicopters"

The number of times I've been doing a happy landing and all of a sudden I lose lift and crash -_-

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

I think I'm going to puke

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hey nebuchadnezzar, The Great War channel (following WW1 week by week 100 years later) just posted a special episode on zeppelins during the war:
https://youtu.be/nlQgprSGpNI

Not as detailed as your writeups obviously but an interesting overview anyway.

A good channel in general too.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
While I knew and understood conceptually what was happening above my head, for some reason I'm now much more reluctant to get in to a helicopter again.

The difference between playing with newbie level RC sailplanes or a Cub type trainer and the toy quadcopter I got for christmas was absolutely incredible. Zero margin for error on the quad, while the sailplanes in particular were so forgiving they occasionally became difficult to land. Definitely calls to mind the quote someone had about "Planes want to keep flying, helicopters desperately want to fall out of the air unless everything is going absolutely right."

Also another thanks for that zeppelin video and that channel, haven't watched it yet but very interested.

Edit: Judging by loss rates I think all those early and not so early jets were at least 1/3-1/2 helicopter by mass.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 8, 2016

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

drzrma posted:

"Planes want to keep flying, helicopters desperately want to fall out of the air unless everything is going absolutely right."

I just finished Red Eagles and it seems the MiG-23 must have had a little helicopter in him.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Sagebrush posted:

You shut your whore mouth. <:mad:>

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there's a lot of visually impaired people around :colbert: A-10 AH-64 are a pair of major beauties but then again my taste in women is the kind who looks like they can and regularly do flip cars over

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrLonghair posted:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there's a lot of visually impaired people around :colbert: A-10 AH-64 are a pair of major beauties but then again my taste in women is the kind who looks like they can and regularly do flip cars over

Do you also prefer later fat F-16s with warts and lumps instead of early sleek ones? You monster.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure many of you have seen this but..... Good job Boeing. I guess the pilot did ok too.

http://youtu.be/Q9WNnJprwzU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Holy poo poo. Good job, captain.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea the Constellation is loving ugly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm sure many of you have seen this but..... Good job Boeing. I guess the pilot did ok too.

http://youtu.be/Q9WNnJprwzU

From the related videos section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoWS_SHe4gU

Not sure if I ever seen someone bounce a 747 that hard before. :stare: (eh I probably have just forgetting)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sagebrush posted:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
http://i.imgur.com/r1LswcI.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/NBwY59U.gifv

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

so watch this clip at 0.25 speed and it's a great demonstration of a fully-articulated rotor system in action.

you can see the pitch decrease as the blade is advancing (higher relative wind to the blade means less angle of attack required) and increase on the retreating side (low relative wind, high AoA), which allows for higher airspeeds without retreating blade stall.

you can also see the blade tip move up with higher pitch and down with lower pitch (otherwise known as flapping) due to the advancing side generating more lift than the retreating side.

it's tough to see but there is also horizontal movement of the blade in relation to the main rotor hub (known as leading and lagging) which helps dampen the inertia of the blade as it spins.

all of these translate into less stress and vibration conducted into the airframe from the rotor system, which for helicopters is a big plus!