Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes, but that doesn't prove Road Dogg's point. That also posits that they wouldn't be/have been MORE over if they'd been winning during that time. If Dean hadn't gone on that losing streak he'd probably be the #1 face in the company.

A good point and a good explanation.

But

dsriggs posted:

For example, Reigns went 128-13-5 in singles matches in 2015. Cena went 98-9-0 in a shortened year. Meanwhile, Heath Slater went 1-70-0. But wins & losses don't matter, apparently.

Stop using house show numbers in win-loss records, they don't mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Angular Landbury posted:

Basically the concept that Road Dogg (and Vince, based on his interview with Austin) miss is that you can't just use the word "stories" as an all-purpose get-out-of-making-sense-free card.

Stories have stakes, stories have actions that occur and mean something. If I watch the Iron Man movie and in it, Iron Man dies, then that means something in the context of the story. It shouldn't be "ok" because Robert Downey Jr is rich and alive and well in Los Angeles, because you are presenting a context where there is no Robert Downey Jr. There is only Iron Man and he is now dead.

If the wins and losses don't count in WWE, then why do the wrestlers have matches? Why do they want the titles? What is Kevin Owens's motivation to even show up at the building? Is he on salary? If wins and losses don't count, then why is Damien Sandow not the World Heavyweight Champion? Why do they have Champions at all?

Basically if you pull out the "matches count" jenga piece, your whole premise falls apart.

Let's just call it what it is: a talking point spin to justify why they aren't doing more with their talent.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

IcePhoenix posted:

Stop using house show numbers in win-loss records, they don't mean anything.

Ok, Reigns still went 70-16-6 on TV. Compared to, say, Cesaro's Literal 50/50 booking (40-40-1 on tv), it seems pretty clear that giving important characters wins still counts for SOMETHING.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Props to Roadie for engaging the person like an adult and not just falling back on calling him a mark or saying "you never wrestled, your opinion means nothing" which seems to be a common defence when the company is criticized

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 8, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

you can make stories, but it doesn't matter if said stories are poo poo

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Props to Roadie for engaging the person like an adult and not just falling back on calling him a mark or saying "you never wrestled, your opinion means nothing" which seems to be a common defence when the company is criticized
Yeah, he jumped up a few hundred places on the "might actually be a decent human being" list based on this tweet alone.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Discount Trombones posted:

Yeah, he jumped up a few hundred places on the "might actually be a decent human being" list based on this tweet alone.

He's always struck me as a guy who didn't buy into his own hype

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dsriggs posted:

Ok, Reigns still went 70-16-6 on TV. Compared to, say, Cesaro's Literal 50/50 booking (40-40-1 on tv), it seems pretty clear that giving important characters wins still counts for SOMETHING.

How did Reigns get three more losses when you switched to TV numbers :v:

Seriously though, you're right, wins and losses do matter. But if you book someone well enough (or they're just that good) you can still get and stay over, albeit to a lesser extent, while not winning all the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Seriously though, you're right, wins and losses do matter. But if you book someone well enough (or they're just that good) you can still get and stay over, albeit to a lesser extent, while not winning all the time.

Yeah the truth in this debate is very much contextual. Because the guy who tweeted was right, the Outlaws were protected at first; they had to be, because when the team formed, it was two JTTS who didn't win much. With Owens, him beating John Cena legitimized him somewhat, they just didn't finish the job in booking him credibly.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It was okay for the New Age Outlaws to lose all the time because they were part of the biggest faction in Wrestling at the time during their hottest period, and they were being given a lot of camera time in what was compelling TV (at the time).

You can't keep treating your product like everyone's supposed to be over as gently caress just because you say they are and then turn around and punish them when they're not over (Or too over) or whatever loving nonsense is going on where people have 50-50 booking and really godawful stories, it's insulting to fans which is why they'll sit on their hands for most of a show.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

IcePhoenix posted:

...aaaah, I didn't notice that! I THINK that's because the site I got the stats from differentiated between singles matches & tag matches overall, but not for TV matches & the extra losses were tags? :shrug:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Speaking of Owens, It's still so cool how they ruined both Kevin Owens and the Avalanche AA in like a minute. Why not have him just lose to the invincible super move if he has to lose?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of Owens, It's still so cool how they ruined both Kevin Owens and the Avalanche AA in like a minute. Why not have him just lose to the invincible super move if he has to lose?

Yeah, I remember thinking they were actually gonna put Owens over again when he kicked out out of that. WWE and booking logic are kinda distant, though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The answer is because John Cena, Indie Wrestler felt like it. It was a hell of a nearfall

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We need to go back in time and kill whoever gave John that PWG dvd

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Wins and losses don't matter so long as the story is compelling and it makes sense in the long run for those losses and wins to have occurred.

However WWE doesn't do compelling stories and they treat wins and losses as superfluous to their stories. It goes both ways as well. John Cena's year of Hell after his loss to The Rock was a year where he won every feud he was in and his story and character suffered for it.

WWE has an answer for every criticism that basically says that the person criticising them is wrong because their complaint isn't even an issue. Old Wrestling guys disagree with the booking? Well we're not wrestling, we're sports entertainment. Writers are criticising the product? Well they just don't understand The Business. Complaining about a character looking weak after losing several times? Well wins and losses don't matter.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Road Dogg has publicly said that if you don't like WWE then you shouldn't watch it.

He's pretty much as honest as it gets, so he's cool in my book.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Well, it finally came to this :(

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!
YES!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Kinda bittersweet. I'm glad he's making the right decision, assuming it's not a work to get heat on somebody. On the other hand, he's one of my favorite wrestlers and it sucks to find out he's done for good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I take solace in the fact that it's a wrestling retirement and he'll be back wrestling in six month's time.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Really excited to see Daniel Bryan in the G1 this summer.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
How bad is his injury exactly?

Is it like Edge's where one bad bump could paralyse him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How bad is his injury exactly?

Is it like Edge's where one bad bump could paralyse him?

That seems possible. He's had long-term concussion issues and he has a severe neck injury. That combo is bad for taking even the most basic of bumps.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not unexpected but secretly hoped he had another run left. hey, he had many, many incredible years on his own and around 4 fantastic years in WWE. Not many people had the streak of excellence he got to taste. just sad he won't get his nakamura match.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Bryan is going to come out to retire and Nakamura will debut and challenge him to a final match

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

For the record, the Mark Henry retirement RAW was my favorite moment. Can't wait for DB to rehash the gimmick.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

He had a good run.

gently caress Sheamus.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hope it's a fakeout and we get DBry x Undertaker or something, but...that doesn't seem likely, does it? Oh well, health above everything else, hopefully he gets to be a trainer at the PC and isn't so hosed up that he can't do the occasional NXT Final Boss match like Regal used to.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Didn't CM Punk lose every PPV match he had for like over a year straight but still stay as over as always? And I think Dean had a similar streak recently...

Dean went a full years worth of PPVS without picking up a victory.

After beating Evolution as part of the Shield at Payback he didn't win another PPV match until Extreme Rules.

He lost MITB due to interference by Kane
He lost to Rollins via forfeit because he was kicked out of the building by security for attacking Rollins well before the match.

He lost a lumberjack match to Rollins at Summerslam because of Kane.

He wasn't booked for NOC.

He lost to Rollins at HIAC after Hatsune Miku stunned him.

He lost at Survivor Series because he beat the poo poo out of Bray with a chair and was disqualified.

He lost at TLC because WWE doesn't understand what a CRT monitor was.

He entered and failed to win the Royal Rumble.

He lost to Wade Barrett at Fastlane after he was disqualified by the referee for failing to respect the 5 count in the corner.

He lost the IC ladder match at Wrestlemania.

He finally beat Luke Harper at Extreme Rules in a nearly hour long street fight that was good.

So yeah, 10 of his 11 PPV appearances were losses, but they really didn't hurt his heat because short of the Rumble and WM matches, they all were positive momentum and he generally got a moral victory of sorts in the process.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

So yeah, 10 of his 11 PPV appearances were losses, but they really didn't hurt his heat

:laffo: sure

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Black Is Black posted:

For the record, the Mark Henry retirement RAW was my favorite moment. Can't wait for DB to rehash the gimmick.

Only if this one also ends with Mark Henry tapping out to John Cena

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Angular Landbury posted:

Basically the concept that Road Dogg (and Vince, based on his interview with Austin) miss is that you can't just use the word "stories" as an all-purpose get-out-of-making-sense-free card.
Probably the best two recent examples of this on either side would be Sami Zayn and Bray Wyatt. Sami lost a lot in big matches, and that became the storyline, but he was always somewhat protected, he picked up wins when it <i>didn't</i> count so much, and they actually tied his losses in well to the storyline, by showing how it affected him and Neville before their big match. Sami lost big matches, but "stories", among other things, made that a positive in getting him over.

Bray Wyatt gets wins when they don't matter, too, but he doesn't win on PPV or big matches and doesn't get protection to any kind of the same extent. His losses don't affect his storyline or his character, or often even the next Raw. And yet, every time he has a big match coming, the powers that be clearly believe that him coming out and cutting a promo and crafting a story solely through those promos will build heat. And it doesn't. Build around him, and they could probably have that, but Bray is probably the biggest current example of "story is all, wins and losses don't matter" bullshit thinking there currently is in WWE.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ayn rand hand job posted:

So yeah, 10 of his 11 PPV appearances were losses, but they really didn't hurt his heat because short of the Rumble and WM matches, they all were positive momentum and he generally got a moral victory of sorts in the process.

I remember there was some guy who thought it was the most hi-larious thing ever to post his win record, because hey guys that guy you like loses a lot. The thing was, nobody who I watch with cared about that. We just had fun watching Ambrose terrorize Rollins/Bray/Wade. Ambrose's losses didn't impact his heat too much because every time he lost, he came back and he did something else really funny.

Hatsune Miku and the TV were still stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ambrose losing all the time absolutely hurt his heat

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The idea that wins and losses don't matter because it's fake is so silly

If you have a sitcom where one character acts like a total chump and all the other characters make fun of him for being a big fat loser and he just goes home and cries about it, he's probably not going to be a popular character.

If someone on TWD fucks up and gets everyone eaten repeatedly, they might get some sweet 'heel heat' I suppose as the fans eagerly await the character's horrible death, but no one wants to see them

I mean obviously trying to compare wrestling to "real" TV is loving stupid anyway, but even in that reality a character being a big loser makes them less popular. That's kind of how humanity works. Knowing that wrestling is fake, we still judge how much investment their is in a character, and how "important" they are, by how strong they look on TV.

If that's not the case, why does any wrestler want a creative control clause? Why does Brock Lesnar's character revolve around him being an unbeatable badass? Couldn't they tell just as good of a story about how Brock has erectile dysfunction and also shits himself when he loses a match? Think of the sympathy!

Otherwise I totally agree with the Road Dogg

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Wins and Losses don't matter as long as your character still wins big matches with stakes.

If someone goes 0-4 on Raw matches but then wins the PPV match as part of the storyline, that's easier to defend than whatever the gently caress they're doing to Dean Ambrose or Cesaro.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
People don't want to pay a lot for a Cleveland browns game in December because they lose a lot. People pay big bucks for patriot games because they always win.

Imagine if instead of winning every match Goldberg had random losses in his run. He's not the same guy. Not sure why that concept is hard for wwe to grasp. Just look how they killed rusev.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

"wins and losses don't matter" is the dumbest loving statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ambrose was in a good KO match and then later dragged his broken rear end out to be the last guy in the ring with HHH, pretty sure he's gonna be fine. somebody loves that insane gently caress