Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

I was going to mention that, with just a few exceptions, sports fans are pretty happy to explain poo poo to you if you just ask.

Yeah, but then you have to, like, interact with another human being, and that poo poo's hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, but then you have to, like, interact with another human being, and that poo poo's hard.

Aren't you already interacting with them if you are having to deal with them going on about the superbowl?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RFC2324 posted:

Aren't you already interacting with them if you are having to deal with them going on about the superbowl?

Seeing memes about football on Twitter and Facebook is really stressful guys.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
To top that off, no one should be getting annoyed when it's the "season finale" of a sport on TV like the Super Bowl. I get somewhat annoyed when it's not one of those and a lot of my friends just post an athlete's name with varying amounts of extraneous exclamation marks, like the other day when everyone was posting "Cespedes!!!!" (I live in NY). But you know what? Other people's Facebook posts aren't geared to what I personally like. I move on with my day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cash crab posted:

He told me that some guys at work were talking about sports and one of his coworkers very sincerely called him a "loving human being" after my brother said he was more interested in Star Wars than professional sports, so maybe it's dependent on how aggressive other people are about knowing those sorts of things.

I imagine they called him that less because he wasn't interested in sports and more because he specifically mentioned being more interested in Star Wars. Like, even if someone is more interested in Star Wars than sports, why in the world would you inform random people of that fact? Normal people would just say "nah I'm not that into football/sports."

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I haven't seen anyone talk about football at all this year, it's really kind of weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I imagine they called him that less because he wasn't interested in sports and more because he specifically mentioned being more interested in Star Wars. Like, even if someone is more interested in Star Wars than sports, why in the world would you inform random people of that fact? Normal people would just say "nah I'm not that into football/sports."

That's still a really dumb reason to call someone a human being.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is there any reason that's not dumb after age 13?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

There's really no good reason to do it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Weirdly enough, the one guy who tried to talk about football at work was met with a wall of "oh uh I dunno sry" but the topic of Star Wars kept up for a month after the film's release.

I always feel like I should come up with four or five stock sentiments regarding sports, just so I can reply Monkey Island style to sports guys. Nothing breaks my heart like the passed-over-puppy look of a middle-aged man trying to start a football conversation only to get what amounts to "Neat!" in response.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

Weirdly enough, the one guy who tried to talk about football at work was met with a wall of "oh uh I dunno sry" but the topic of Star Wars kept up for a month after the film's release.

I always feel like I should come up with four or five stock sentiments regarding sports, just so I can reply Monkey Island style to sports guys. Nothing breaks my heart like the passed-over-puppy look of a middle-aged man trying to start a football conversation only to get what amounts to "Neat!" in response.

I always confuse people at work when sports comes up, tbh. I sit and listen intently like I know what they are saying(I actually have a fair amount of knowledge, growing up with 2 football player stepbrothers) but when anything is directed at me I give a response along the lines 'I dunno about sportsball!'

Calling hockey sportsball drives hockey fans even more nuts than it does football players, as a side note.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You could just say "I'm not really a sports fan, sorry"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

I always confuse people at work when sports comes up, tbh. I sit and listen intently like I know what they are saying(I actually have a fair amount of knowledge, growing up with 2 football player stepbrothers) but when anything is directed at me I give a response along the lines 'I dunno about sportsball!'

Calling hockey sportsball drives hockey fans even more nuts than it does football players, as a side note.

It's you, you're the idiot in social media life

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

zakharov posted:

You could just say "I'm not really a sports fan, sorry"

I could, but i actually am interested in listening. I also work with nerds, so they get that i am just joking around making fun of my own ignorance of the subject.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Aesop Poprock posted:

These are the type of people who feel proud of not watching sports like it's some counter culture thing at this point as opposed to a hobby or interest you just don't share with a lot of people.
You said it perfectly. I have a friend who's great to hang out with in every other way, but as soon as any team is mentioned, he always jumps in with "I don't do sports, so I don't know what you're talking about." Like the world is divided into People Who Like Sports and People Who Don't Like Sports.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm in RFC's boat, where I can listen pretty patiently to someone speaking on sports, but anything outside of hockey I basically have to say "I don't really follow it, save for Philadelphia's teams, sort of". Most people don't mind, and it lets them talk about something they want to talk about. I usually expect the same sort of response if I talk about a TV show I like, because not everyone watches the same TV. It's just polite to listen sometimes.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

hyperhazard posted:

You said it perfectly. I have a friend who's great to hang out with in every other way, but as soon as any team is mentioned, he always jumps in with "I don't do sports, so I don't know what you're talking about." Like the world is divided into People Who Like Sports and People Who Don't Like Sports.

What gets me is just how rude that is. I know pretty much nothing about any sport, but my spouse, my sister and lots of my friends are various degrees of involved with following various sports teams. When they talk about it, they're polite to me by not dominating the conversation with something I'm not very interested in, and I'm polite by listening because they're excited and asking questions where I can. That's what you do when someone's passionate about something you don't personally care much about, if you're an adult who lives in a civil society. Why is this hard?!

Edit: "Sportsball" is also rude. As dumb as it may seem to those of us who don't follow sports, people who do take them seriously and it's rude not to respect that. You know what the sport is called. Pretending to be more ignorant than you are is almost never clever.

Dogfish has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Feb 8, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh absolutely (there's obviously never a good reason to use a slur like that), but it's a good reason to think "why the gently caress is this weirdo talking about star wars?"

hyperhazard posted:

I think in some cases this might be a reaction to growing up/living in an environment where there's a high expectation of knowing about stuff like sports. My dad grew up in a very stereotypical southern/redneck small town, and he grew up into the sort of person who is insufferable in the exact way you describe. Like a big part of his sense of self is defined by an opposition to the sort of people he grew up around.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Feb 8, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I worded that weird. The conversation, as he relayed it to me, went something like:

Coworker: "Hey, did you catch [game]?"
Brother: "Oh, no, sorry. I'm not really into football, to be honest."
C: "What? What the hell are you 'into'?"
B: "Uhm, I don't know. Like, Star Wars and stuff."
C: "loving human being."
B: :smith:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dogfish posted:

What gets me is just how rude that is. I know pretty much nothing about any sport, but my spouse, my sister and lots of my friends are various degrees of involved with following various sports teams. When they talk about it, they're polite to me by not dominating the conversation with something I'm not very interested in, and I'm polite by listening because they're excited and asking questions where I can. That's what you do when someone's passionate about something you don't personally care much about, if you're an adult who lives in a civil society. Why is this hard?!

Edit: "Sportsball" is also rude. As dumb as it may seem to those of us who don't follow sports, people who do take them seriously and it's rude not to respect that. You know what the sport is called. Pretending to be more ignorant than you are is almost never clever.

Well I mean a lot of the "sportsball" people are probably used to people not giving a poo poo about their animes/vidya gaems/comics/whatever so it seems like a kind of sour grapes kind of thing. Like, "I don't care that these people think I'm dumb for liking this geek thing, they're dumb for liking this jock thing!"

When the best solution is to just like your own thing independent of what jerks think, and maybe find something to enjoy about the other thing if you're unable to avoid it. (I personally can't much get into team sports, but football is a religion here, so I just enjoy watching people lose their poo poo over it and/or the players knocking each other over because ha ha man fall down funny.)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Here are some comments on an NPR article about the Somali suicide bomber that managed to get only himself killed aboard an airplane.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Here are some comments on an NPR article about the Somali suicide bomber that managed to get only himself killed aboard an airplane.

Wasn't that on a Somali plane?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Being automatically dismissive about something someone likes is easier than spending five minutes a week keeping track of a random team so you have something to talk to your coworkers and friends about when sportschat comes up, so I can see why wet blankets/the socially inept do it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yes, the posters are discussing Somali immigrants to Michigan.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
IoSM: "Sportsball" is also rude

china bot has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Feb 8, 2016

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Just only follow the Lions so whenever football comes up you can just say "Lions fan" and mime shooting yourself in the head with a handgun. This will never not be the appropriate response.

EDIT: In fact you don't actually even need to follow them just pretend that you do and do that you will be correct 100% of the time.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
Public page, under an article about a female prison guard accused of rape

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

china bot posted:

Abuse of power is bad, HOWEVER

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Technical rape is the best rape.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

mng posted:

Technical rape is the best rape.

What if the prison guard was 15? Would they have raped each other and therefore it cancels out?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

lotsa sportsball fans itt

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
If you use the term sportsball or dont like sports because you want to be special and just want to annoy people, you are dumb.

If you dont care about sports and you can covey this in a normal way when asked, well done! You are a functioning human being.

I thought this was pretty obvious, yet the last few pages made my eyes roll harder than some of the IoSMs that get posted.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

From the lady with the giant 420 forehead tattoo.
:nws::nws:
The weirdest SU fanart I've ever seen.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Thatim posted:

If you use the term sportsball or dont like sports because you want to be special and just want to annoy people, you are dumb.

If you dont care about sports and you can covey this in a normal way when asked, well done! You are a functioning human being.

I thought this was pretty obvious, yet the last few pages made my eyes roll harder than some of the IoSMs that get posted.

Yeah, but what if you like some sports and use the word sportsball anyway because :fireman:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

china bot posted:

Oh look, it's my favorite argument "You're not allowed to judge a rapist for the rape they committed unless you've never 'made a mistake' before in your life!"

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh look, it's my favorite argument "You're not allowed to judge a rapist for the rape they committed unless you've never 'made a mistake' before in your life!"

let he who is without sin slam the first ho

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

J Miracle posted:

Just only follow the Lions so whenever football comes up you can just say "Lions fan" and mime shooting yourself in the head with a handgun. This will never not be the appropriate response.

EDIT: In fact you don't actually even need to follow them just pretend that you do and do that you will be correct 100% of the time.

Lifelong Lions fan here, can confirm

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even if you don't follow the sport or know anything about it, it's possible to have a conversation with someone just to be polite:

"Oh sorry man, I haven't been following [league]. There are too many games and I just lose track of where things go. How are [team] doing this year, anyway? Is that right? Well that sucks [n.b. it's never "good!"]. I'm sorry to hear it. Did you get to see any games live?"

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
Here we are at the internet make-fun forums, providing instruktion on how to be polite when discussing football

e: genuinely excited for International Sportsball in December

china bot has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CommonShore posted:

Even if you don't follow the sport or know anything about it, it's possible to have a conversation with someone just to be polite:

"Oh sorry man, I haven't been following [league]. There are too many games and I just lose track of where things go. How are [team] doing this year, anyway? Is that right? Well that sucks [n.b. it's never "good!"]. I'm sorry to hear it. Did you get to see any games live?"

Yeah that'll be satisfying for everyone