Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I used to gently caress with scammers until I heard that some get vindictive and do poo poo like call you at 3AM every night for a week or change their caller ID to your number so you get return phone calls from pissed off people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I will ABSOLUTELY gently caress with the criminal ones. Calling and misrepresent your company (you are not from Microsoft), or that I have a virus (I haven't turned on my desktop in months), you are engaging in criminal behaviour and while I can't get you arrested, I can save someone else.

It's not much, but I make a point of turning them in to the FTC and/or appropriate local/state law enforcement agency. Especially fuckers calling claiming they're from the IRS. I do volunteer tax prep for the elderly and disabled, and I get so goddamn steamed when grandmas come in shaking like leaves because they got angry calls from "the tax man."

"He said I owed three thousand dollars and I had to pay it or go to jail." No, grandma, your only source of income is Social Security and you elected for voluntary withholding. You don't owe anybody anything--the IRS actually owes you money. Next time that fucker gentleman calls, I want you to take down a callback number and call the police. :unsmith:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There are a lot of jobs that pay much better and are less morally questionable than telemarketing that anyone can get into. For example drug dealing and burglary. Both of whom have the added benefit of all your money being 100% tax free.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes "Microsoft". We used to get a call from MS tech support every few days about the virus on our computer that they have detected and want to help us with. After my wife would berate the scammer by telling them repeatedly that they were a shame on their family they actually gave up after a few months. gently caress those assholes, I can't imagine how many confused elderly people fall for that poo poo and get scammed. I don't care how bad your job prospects are that is thievery and they can gently caress right off.

If I have time I like to back them into a corner so they have to admit that they're scammers or hang up on me.

"Your device has a virus."

"Oh really? Which device?"

"The one with Windows operating system, just give us..."

"You'll need to be more specific. I have 5 systems with Windows, and three different versions."

"Oh well it'll be the uh ... uh.... (click)"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I usually just hang up on them, but one time I was curious how it would go, so I just went along with it and they still hung up on me. Rude.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

There are a lot of jobs that pay much better and are less morally questionable than telemarketing that anyone can get into. For example drug dealing and burglary. Both of whom have the added benefit of all your money being 100% tax free.

Sadly, a lot of people at those call center places are disabled because they can't do the normal lovely jobs. I always hang up at worst.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Your windows machine has a virus!

I run Linux.

Oh, well your Linux machine has a virus!

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

What's the Russian equivalent to "LOL, WHOOPS!"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CxlBGI-lyY

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Wow way to completely own those wage slaves in poo poo jobs they hate doing, really showed them what-for.

For content:

BANGARANG

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Good form.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I can't imagine how many confused elderly people fall for that poo poo and get scammed. I don't care how bad your job prospects are that is thievery and they can gently caress right off.

You have no idea. I'm a computer tech at a retail place and this poo poo is bad. Almost 2-3 times a week some old person comes in with some story of "Microsoft" harassing them.

Less than a year ago a 75 year old bought a spanking brand new laptop. Literally two days later he comes in and tells us he paid them a thousand dollars because they "found" viruses. They asked him to put a check up to the webcam and they'll take a picture of it. Luckily he came to us and he called his bank in time to void that check.

And it's not even old people either, I've dealt with many young people who fall for this poo poo too for some reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What's the story behind this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

What's the story behind this?

Here's the link. Short version, two cops pulled over an old black man for speeding and dragged him out of his car and beat the poo poo out of him on camera (even fist bumping in celebration after) and planted cocaine on him. They were unfortunate enough to not only text each other about "beating up niggers" after the event, but they also got a black judge.

Melendez got 13 months to 10 years in prison for it (plus 90 days in jail minus 85 for time served on an officer misconduct charge) for it. His partner apparently wasn't caught on camera actually throwing punches, so I think he got off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
13 whole months for it eh

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the link. Short version, two cops pulled over an old black man for speeding and dragged him out of his car and beat the poo poo out of him on camera (even fist bumping in celebration after) and planted cocaine on him. They were unfortunate enough to not only text each other about "beating up niggers" after the event, but they also got a black judge.

Melendez got 13 months to 10 years in prison for it (plus 90 days in jail minus 85 for time served on an officer misconduct charge) for it. His partner apparently wasn't caught on camera actually throwing punches, so I think he got off.

Goddamn, they actually tried the Dave chappele "sprinkle a lil crack on him" bit?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

13 whole months for it eh

13 months to 10 years. It's variable depending on good behavior and connections to the police.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, he is a white cop so getting any time is pretty shocking. I guess you can always hope he gets raped/killed in prison.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, he is a white cop so getting any time is pretty shocking. I guess you can always hope he gets raped/killed in prison.

The only reason he got anything is because he and his partner did their beating on the hood of his police car right in front of the dash cam and were so cartoonishly evil as to fist bump and send texts about "beating up niggers" after the event.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The justice system works!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhUQUkLpA3I

Some great ones in this one.

DAMMIT

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Blyat works well here.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

TontoCorazon posted:

You have no idea. I'm a computer tech at a retail place and this poo poo is bad. Almost 2-3 times a week some old person comes in with some story of "Microsoft" harassing them.

Less than a year ago a 75 year old bought a spanking brand new laptop. Literally two days later he comes in and tells us he paid them a thousand dollars because they "found" viruses. They asked him to put a check up to the webcam and they'll take a picture of it. Luckily he came to us and he called his bank in time to void that check.

And it's not even old people either, I've dealt with many young people who fall for this poo poo too for some reason.

I was at the Genius Bar a few weeks ago with a very sweet older lady who had someone do something similar to her 4+ year old MacBook. She had written her credit card information down in permanent marker on the screen so that they could "take a picture of the screen." Luckily it doesn't really work like that and someone slowly worked permanent marker off the screen and patiently deleted hundreds of files out of various folders for her.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The cops can't really do anything about overseas phone scammers unfortunately so wasting their time is the next best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM--JcEoPvk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ll_qnBNTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvih22wNnkU&t=10m20s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6F804JBp2s

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Feb 9, 2016

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Goddamn, they actually tried the Dave chappele "sprinkle a lil crack on him" bit?

Kid, that poo poo's been around a lot longer than Dave Chappele has.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I guess you can always hope he gets raped/killed in prison.

Interesting. Are you for the death penalty in general, or are you just advocating extra-judicial punishment? If you're not advocating extra-judicial punishment, who do you propose do the raping? Should there be professional rapists, or should a machine be used? Also, would you advocate that imprisoned female former cops also be raped, or only male? :allears:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Interesting. Are you for the death penalty in general, or are you just advocating extra-judicial punishment? If you're not advocating extra-judicial punishment, who do you propose do the raping? Should there be professional rapists, or should a machine be used? Also, would you advocate that imprisoned female former cops also be raped, or only male? :allears:

I'm amazed they make soap boxes that can still support goons. When you're done with it can I use it to smugly post about an obvious flippant comment too?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Craptacular posted:

Nobody said you should want that, just that you could want that. Relax, holmes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I decided to stay on the line a bit with the fake IRS folks. They sent me through three of them. The second guy said they would call up my former university and tell them to revoke my degree.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

What, if anything, is this car made of

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

https://twitter.com/YouTubeGaming/status/695739797994926080

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/695777795922726913

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know a couple who still have a landline and they get this poo poo every single day because Australia's do not call list is a joke.
It works fine. Any telemarketers operating legally within Australia won't call you if you're on the list. If you expect it to stop people who are operating illegally then I don't know how you think that could happen?

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't care how bad your job prospects are that is thievery and they can gently caress right off.
The people making the calls don't necessarily know it's a scam. They just got hired to make these calls and walk people through the instructions. Sometimes the people making the calls are the actual scammers, but not always.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't care about most telemarketers, but I will ABSOLUTELY gently caress with the criminal ones. Calling and misrepresent your company (you are not from Microsoft), or that I have a virus (I haven't turned on my desktop in months), you are engaging in criminal behaviour and while I can't get you arrested, I can save someone else.
In my experience they don't actually say Microsoft, they say they're calling for Windows support or something. And how do you think you're saving anyone?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Play your cards right and you can even get free housing and meals out of it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gorilla Salad posted:

How hard is it to just say, "Sorry I'm not interested. Goodbye."

How hard is it to just NOT loving CALL ME with their scams?

Also this is the Schadenfreude thread. Nobody commented about that poor puppy, but people fall over themselves defending scammers?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
If everyone wastes as much time as possible, then it no longer continues to be profitable, and the scammers stop. It's pretty simple economics. You don't need to be an rear end in a top hat to the lowly wage slave or anything, but it certainly is your duty to keep them on as long as possible. For the good of everyone else.

Yeah yeah yeah, no one cares, wrong thread, etc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, alone or in pairs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

It works fine. Any telemarketers operating legally within Australia won't call you if you're on the list. If you expect it to stop people who are operating illegally then I don't know how you think that could happen?

So it's useless for every overseas number and

Difficult to complain when the number the callers are using is listed as private. Also, "inferred" consent is pretty much any time any business gets your details in any manner whatsoever.

But sure, apart from all those exceptions, it works just fine. The most praise I can give the register is that it's a good idea, just poorly implemented.

New fail compilation for the month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGyPV_0dje0

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Warning, HUGE human being at 3:00 in that video...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ante posted:

If everyone wastes as much time as possible, then it no longer continues to be profitable, and the scammers stop. It's pretty simple economics. You don't need to be an rear end in a top hat to the lowly wage slave or anything, but it certainly is your duty to keep them on as long as possible. For the good of everyone else.
If that were going to work, it would have worked by now. It doesn't, it won't, you just enjoy having an excuse to be an arsehole to someone.

Gorilla Salad posted:

But sure, apart from all those exceptions, it works just fine. The most praise I can give the register is that it's a good idea, just poorly implemented.
How do you think it could be implemented to actually work then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I just enjoy having an excuse to be an arsehole to someone.

The real reason for all of Tiggum's posts.