Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Help Im Alive posted:

Yakuza is also leagues above Senran Kagura though

Different genres. The comparison will be valid when Yakuza has fights against big rear end demons, super attacks and female protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also despite how elaborate the animations for the characters are, if you see all the released videos in a sequence you'll notice how every single character is doing the same basic attack string (the only truly different is Nicole witht the wall hopping but that is dragged down by the game's speed and utterly vegetative enemies)

If it weren't for the short bit about Nicole, you could literally copy-paste this to refer to Senran Kagura and it would be accurate so I dunno, buddy.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

kojei posted:

If it weren't for the short bit about Nicole, you could literally copy-paste this to refer to Senran Kagura and it would be accurate so I dunno, buddy.
But you see boobs are a genre so

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kojei posted:

It applies to the versus games but not for Deep Crimson Deep Crimson is a LOT faster than either EV or Uppers and the characters have well defined and distinctive movesets with especific propierties and combo options. Enemies in Deep Crimson are also a lot more aggresive than the potato sacks Uppers has shown. Even Bhikkhuni's enemies are more aggresive (and those barely make a dent on your character's health)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That Uppers video does look like it's playing in slo-mo at some points.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Different genres. The comparison will be valid when Yakuza has fights against big rear end demons, super attacks and female protagonists.

It has two of these things

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

And depending on what you think of tigers and bears it has all of those things

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yakuza is leagues ahead than anything Uppers can offer and that is one of my issues with it. Yakuza exists so why bother with Uppers at all?

GTA exists, so why bother with Saint's Row at all?

Final Fantasy exists, so why bother with Chrono Trigger at all?

Do you see why this is a very stupid opinion to have, particularly about a game that is not yet finished, and that you haven't played?

quote:

Also despite how elaborate the animations for the characters are, if you see all the released videos in a sequence you'll notice how every single character is doing the same basic attack string (the only truly different is Nicole witht the wall hopping but that is dragged down by the game's speed and utterly vegetative enemies)

I... uhh... again, I like SK too man, but... have you played them lately? I'll give you 'speed' but 'same basic attack string' and 'utterly vegetative enemies'... c'mon man

Junpei Hyde posted:

D_T is a very discerning individual who doesn't even like the Vita Senran Kaguras. He is quite hard to please.

Yes... although he likes Valkyrie Drive Bhikkuni which is basically identical to the Vita SK games, except with even more generic character designs. I wonder what the common elements are that make D_T able to overlook the... oh it's boobs, isn't it

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 8, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

I... but... you... but... stars puppies flowers.

ImpAtom, we've been over this! Noooo!

*grabs Vita defibrillator*

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Check mate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ruggington posted:

And depending on what you think of tigers and bears it has all of those things

Yakuza Dead Souls definitely has big rear end demons but I guess that one really is a different genre

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Help Im Alive posted:

Yakuza Dead Souls definitely has big rear end demons but I guess that one really is a different genre

As long as at least one entry has those things, it counts.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I feel like the Uppers demos are being played slower than they might be naturally to show off the specific moves they're trying to show off. Maybe once there's some gameplay videos from actual players or reviewers, we can see whether these videos are fully representative of the game's speed.

I want to play it regardless, because I personally think it looks great.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

thorsilver posted:

GTA exists, so why bother with Saint's Row at all?

Final Fantasy exists, so why bother with Chrono Trigger at all?

This is a terrible argument mate. Chrono Trigger is pretty much hands down better than any final fantasy game ever made with maybe the exceptions of 3/6.

Likewise Saint's Row does the open world sandbox formula so much better than GTA. Even in terms of plot. The later GTA games are dumb games that pretend to be smart, and SR are smart game's that pretend to be dumb.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agreed, only one game of each type should exist.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FF6 isn't that great, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Buh!?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Forget it, it's Gamestown.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's alright

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kefka is the best villain of all time especially in my romhack where he says gently caress

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Personally, I Prefer Xenogears

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Colonel posted:

Come on, now. At least my lies are believable.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I googled Senran Kagura, and I saw this. :nws:http://i.imgur.com/GKYd1Zn.png:nws:. Yeah, very, very, different genres.

Takoluka posted:

What? It had a great plot, interesting characters, one of the most memorable villains (Ultros best girl) in the FF franchise that's not XxXEdgeLordXxX. The combat was fun and each character had a unique combat style/resources. It's probably the only FF game that managed to get everything right.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

D_T didn't even bring up senran kagura this time so I'm putting the fault on everyone else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF6 is great but not because of anything to do with the actual gameplay.

Much like Chrono Trigger.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Takoluka posted:

Come on, now. At least my lies are believable.

They're not lies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF6 is my favorite FF game but I will freely admit that from an actual gameplay perspective it's basically a garbage fire.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

FF6 is my favorite FF game but I will freely admit that from an actual gameplay perspective it's basically a garbage fire.

Name one other FF game that allows you to suplex trains?

Check-mate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

The Colonel posted:

Xenogears was by far my fave Square game as a youth. If it wasn't so goddamned ugly (even for the time) I would probably play it again. I definitely liked it more than FF3(6) and Chrono Trigger. It's probably not as good as I remember though. I've also never liked any other Xeno* games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Guys, stop shouting at each other! We're getting Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus overseas!

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/shiren-wanderer-5-plus-coming-north-america-july-26

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Policenaut posted:

Guys, stop shouting at each other! We're getting Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus overseas!

Holy poo poo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

lets hang out posted:

Holy poo poo

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I was wondering what Aksys was up to, since their slate of upcoming stuff was empty. Good news on multiple fronts. :toot:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said this in the other thread but I am on that day 1. I'm glad we're getting it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
That's very good news :) Game looks good.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Policenaut posted:

b... but there's no Pokemon in it... have they gone mad? We're not allowed to have a mystery dungeon without Pokemon or Chocobos. This is too dangerous

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Takoluka posted:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

:barf:

But yeah Shiren loving rules and I'm glad we're getting one on the vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So this one is an actual good roguelike for the Vita, yes?