Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

Tatsujin posted:

lol im really glad i came into work a little early today and missed that crazy poo poo by an hour

and yeah they finally removed a stop on the loop it doesn't need loving 8 or 9 or whatever

Twitter says there was a worker that got hit by a red line train about 2 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/MikePriesWBBM/status/690244925867347969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tatsujin posted:

lol im really glad i came into work a little early today and missed that crazy poo poo by an hour

and yeah they finally removed a stop on the loop it doesn't need loving 8 or 9 or whatever

lol I just looked and those stops are so close together what the hell?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd say that the Loop is the sort of things people would make in a city sim, but it's even dumber than that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metrication posted:

a clever COMPUTER works everything out

that's some really impressive government IT. Imagine if someone had made them outsource it lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

theflyingexecutive posted:

its old

they are combining two more soon i think

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
talking to a friend in boston and i was just reminded that green line B runs on comm ave but green line C runs on beacon. great troll or greatest troll?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

bump_fn posted:

great trolley or greatest trolley?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

there used to be more!

fifth ave is now Wells street. This map is from 1913

if you want to sperg out about the CTA for hours and hours go get lost on http://chicago-l.org

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bump_fn posted:

talking to a friend in boston and i was just reminded that green line B runs on comm ave but green line C runs on beacon. great troll or greatest troll?

There's no A line

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there used to be but then they got rid of it (lol) and lately theyve been thinking about bringing it back (double lol)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tulsa Transit operates regular fixed service Monday through Saturday from early mornings to early evenings. After daytime service ceases at about 6:30 p.m. the service operates night service on its four "Nightlines" until midnight.

Bus frequencies are generally about every 45 min during peak times and every 90 min during middays and on Saturday. No Sunday service is provided, which gives Tulsa a distinction of being one of the largest American cities not to be provided public transit seven days a week.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Tulsa Transit operates regular fixed service Monday through Saturday from early mornings to early evenings. After daytime service ceases at about 6:30 p.m. the service operates night service on its four "Nightlines" until midnight.

Bus frequencies are generally about every 45 min during peak times and every 90 min during middays and on Saturday. No Sunday service is provided, which gives Tulsa a distinction of being one of the largest American cities not to be provided public transit seven days a week.

This is why you don't live in a flyover.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is why you don't live in a flyover.

oklahoma is a terrible state even by flyover standards

but they do provide universal public pre-k education :shobon:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

I was looking at cities by GDP and I was (slightly pleasantly) surprised at how high Ohio cities sit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my friend is rly into cincinnati

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Smythe posted:

my friend is rly into cincinnati

if he puts chili on spaghetti, you're going to have to take him out back and shoot him

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

Bus frequencies are generally about every 45 min during peak times

Wtf

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I remember I went to Memphis and didn't rent a car and then I was stuck on Beale Street because you couldn't get anywhere

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

minivanmegafun posted:

there used to be more!

fifth ave is now Wells street. This map is from 1913

if you want to sperg out about the CTA for hours and hours go get lost on http://chicago-l.org

can i get a franklin to la salle track wobble?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tanith posted:

if he puts chili on spaghetti, you're going to have to take him out back and shoot him

im from socal and i like this. i didnt know it was a cincinatti thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the crime of cincinnati chili isn't the pasta, it's the half pound of bright orange cheese product that goes on top of it

other things that are good on pasta: japanese curry, chinese chili black bean sauce

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Meanwhile in America:
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20160204/BLOGS04/160209907/sneak-peek-at-de-blasio-streetcars-likely-queens-brooklyn-route
At least it might have dedicated lanes

quote:

The city has proposed 100% dedicated lanes for the streetcar, which would begin construction in 2019, according to Schwartz and Schechtman. 

What's the chances that turns into no dedicated lanes, 2025 and $10billion?

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

mishaq posted:

this ep of This American Life has the really interesting and surprising story of how the universal prek came about : http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/477/getting-away-with-it?act=4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

52000 isn't outside the range of what a good bus route can achieve anyway, especially considering its just an estimate

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there's no reason it shouldn't be a select bus except that people who live in the waterfront condos would never ride a bus

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

there's no reason it shouldn't be a select bus except that people who live in the waterfront condos would never ride a bus

yeah pretty much this, also the inability to make bus lanes in that part of brooklyn

there are several buses which go from queens to brooklyn, they just start/end in places that have no white people

edit: checking the route, it is serviced, you need to transfer at court st if you want the full ride from astoria to sunset park

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bus lanes don't work. they become either parking or rush-hour lanes depending on time of day and volume and completely gently caress up cyclists

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Shaggar posted:

bicycles are not transport.

I guess I recreated to work today then.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bloody posted:

bus lanes don't work. they become either parking or rush-hour lanes depending on time of day and volume and completely gently caress up cyclists

bus lanes are p good here, cyclists can go use bike lanes if they want

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

Idgi, why would they be parking lanes? People who park in bus lanes should get fined. Same with driving in it

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

Idgi, why would they be parking lanes? People who park in bus lanes should get fined. Same with driving in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wY-hvMC44

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

dnainfo made a thing

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/visualizations/where-i-sit-stand-train

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lmao I fully support putting bus bollards in every bus lane now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bollards in the middle of the road are retarded and anyone whos cars got hosed up by one should sue the poo poo out of their city

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's like watching cars get wrecked at level crossings, except i don't have to feel bad about the damage to the train

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shagger was wrong

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if your bus lanes have bollards they must be very separate from the actual road and basically are just dedicated busways?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

if your bus lanes have bollards they must be very separate from the actual road and basically are just dedicated busways?

dedicated busways don't have stoplights

a bus lane separated from traffic by jersey barriers is only modestly better than a regular bus. it's like light rail minus the multi billion price tag.

dedicated busways can deliver service quality comparable to a conventional "heavy" rail infrastructure. unfortunately it costs very nearly as much as said rail and has a tiny fraction of the maximum carrying capacity

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's like light rail minus the multi billion price tag.

yes, that's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

its me im the weirdo who prefers sitting uncomfortably on top of the little standing table in the operator area of the red line car for the added privacy

• Locked thread