Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Those guys are probably Maroons, basically escaped slaves who lived out in the middle of nowhere.

That's what i thought, but there aren't that many volcanic islands in the north/west atlantic.

From where the Sargasso Sea is located, 20 odd days at sea drifting in the a clockwise... my money is West Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm just wondering how long it'll take Flint to meet back up with Vane. Seems like the island might be an episode or two of drama

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rocksicles posted:

That's what i thought, but there aren't that many volcanic islands in the north/west atlantic.

From where the Sargasso Sea is located, 20 odd days at sea drifting in the a clockwise... my money is West Africa.

Canary islands have Tenerife's volcano Pico del Teide (visited it meself), so maybe that if your theory is correct.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 8, 2016

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Another amazing episode. Toby Stephens is so loving good as Flint. He's intense and unhinged and watching him slowly crumble is by far the best part of the season. Max and Anne dividing the gold was heartbreaking, too.

And finally, finally we get shirtless Silver :swoon:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CrazyLoon posted:

Canary islands have Tenerife's volcano Pico del Teide (visited it meself), so maybe that if your theory is correct.

Yeah i thought of that place, along with Cape Verde and the Azores, but they were active with slavers and the Portugese/spanish navy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mouse Dresser posted:

Another amazing episode. Toby Stephens is so loving good as Flint. He's intense and unhinged and watching him slowly crumble is by far the best part of the season.

I honestly don't know, if me being able to consistently predict the exact next thing that Flint will do or say/rationalize this season is a good thing for me, lol. The moment those two men were put forth for the food stealing, I was like: "Flint's gonna kill them both, isn't he? Less mouths to feed that way and makes a point to everyone else." and yyyap. Though I gotta say, I loved the voice he used right afterwards and his expression - it was very much so the definition of insanity.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 8, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To say Toby Stephens is crushing it, would be a vast understatement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I how this show never ends. It's been hands down my favorite show since like episode 3 of season 1.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I am extremely conflicted about this show. The endless scheming over Nassau that never goes anywhere, the fact that every single character is an irredeemable monster (wait, has Billy stayed okay?) and you have literally no one to root for, there's no narrative throughline because you should want to see every one of these people hanged. Even Jack Rackham crossed a moral line in season 2 that made me hate him and let's not even get into that time Anne brutally murdered some random woman over nothing - god, that was so messed up and unnecessary.

But on the other hand, ships and ship battles are really loving awesome and terrifying. And Black Sails makes them look real nice.

There's no other show where I can watch two guys on a rowboat drag a live shark up by a hook and stab it furiously through the brain. Similarly, the tension of the scene where they boarded the trap ship last ep was brilliantly crafted. And even though Flint is just the loving worst (I really liked Gates, okay?!), Toby Stephens plays him with enough intensity that I find him INTERESTING to watch and naturally find myself WANTING to root for him, even when he was clearly in the wrong all the way back in ep 1 with the big bald guy.

And in fairness to the showrunners, they seem to have improved each season, cutting down on the worst parts and expanding the good parts. I have some sympathy for them there too, because they can't really get away with an all-male cast like Master & Commander could, but it seems the only way to credibly write women into this vaguely historical pirate show is to have all the brothel-scheming and boring political-trading discussions. It's unfortunate for everyone. :smith:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I'm with you on basically everything, I've only kept watching the show out of severe boredom, they put the cart before the horse all this time to me. We've never had a reason to care about who won/controlled Nassau because they're all terrible people with shifting and often nonsensical motivations or loyalties.

All of the characters were basically caricatures, Flint being ruthless, Silver being zany, Vane being Vane, Rackham being clever, etc. It wasn't until this season that we've had them doing anything other than stepping outside of those roles and I'm finding I like Flint and Silver and want the show to focus on them (and Teach) because I hate almost everything else about the show. I'm tired of Vane being a straight up Mary Sue, tired of the love triangle between three characters I don't give a poo poo about, tired of the scheming over an island I don't give a poo poo about.

I do really like seeing Flint's downfall because his ruthlessness caused it, he killed or betrayed everyone close to him and now he's truly lost. I like finally seeing Silver's wackiness give way to him starting to actually care about other people because we know what it means in the end.

Rest of it is hot garbage to me.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Huh. I seem to be exactly the opposite. I didn't much care for Flint's gay backstory last season, and similarly this season for the (apparent) Vane-Blackbeard son-daddy issues. But the endless scheming is fun, and I love Rackham's crew.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show can do no wrong...

It does lack lately the funny stuff like Tits, Tits, Fruit, Fruit and the hilarious gently caress Tent caper.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

It does lack lately the funny stuff like Tits, Tits, Fruit, Fruit and the hilarious gently caress Tent caper.

You know the Blackbeard scene was the best joke in S1.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I dunno, muffs that hairy freak me out.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Well, Blackbeard is meant to be feared.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

etalian posted:

You know the Blackbeard scene was the best joke in S1.

But yeah, in terms of a regular foci of humor, Jack remains pretty much the only bastion of it by this point. Other sources have all had poo poo done to them, that makes them a lot less cheery.

EDIT: My favorite jokes are probably the certain individuals from S2...who SHALL remain nameless!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 10, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I love just about everything in this show.

The plotting and scheming is great fun to watch and the actors all give good enough performances that I can forgive the occasionally hammy dialog.
The only thing that can get a little grating is the Max & Anne drama but they're both hot so I can forgive it! :shobon:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rocksicles posted:

As someone who just recently watched the first 2 seasons, and is caught up on season 3, I am surprised by the lack of sex/nudity on this show given it's reputation. It doesn't even touch what a crazy orgy Spartacus was at times, but in all fairness nothing really does.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I find the scheming a lot more interesting this season because Nassau's existence is now in question and the stakes are a bit more than "who will try to build a trade empire with pirates this week??"

The first season was fine since they were all angling to get that Spanish gold, the most piratey of all schemes.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

nate fisher posted:

As someone who just recently watched the first 2 seasons, and is caught up on season 3, I am surprised by the lack of sex/nudity on this show given it's reputation. It doesn't even touch what a crazy orgy Spartacus was at times, but in all fairness nothing really does.

S1 may have overdone it a bit at times, but by S2 and right now it's pretty much fine IMO, since it actually tells the story well (Max explaining, why she still likes to be in a whorehouse, has just sound FX and yet it's very relevant, for instance). As for most of the debate on this subject, and most shows getting the 'too much sex/nudity' rep, I just consider it the usual hand-wringing and much ado about nothing, when it comes to any debate of 'too much sex on the TV'. Me, I'm kinda glad this show started out relatively unknown (and still kinda is), so I didn't have to go through dozens upon dozens of pages of: "Was it right Sansa got raped?" empty moralization over fictional characters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only thing that is wearing a bit thin on me so far is Elenore and it's mainly because it feels like they are really steeeeeeeeetching for a reason to have her still be on the show. She's gonna wind up loving Woodes, somehow coming back into some sort of power over Nassau, and that will basically set the table for a rehash of season 1 where she's fighting for total control from Woodes in season 4.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Just catching up, Hornigold just stepping out to give the parley. *farts*

'Tis season 3 and you have made me like, reluctantly, Eleanor Guthrie (worst actress on the show) and Max (Worst character on the show). Good stuff, long may this continue.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
The more Max talks the more I think "drat, when is Mary gonna show up and be Anne's new BFF? :("

Which is sad because sometimes Max actually has good ideas but god drat the show just grinds to a halt whenever she's on camera.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I think Max is suppose to be Mary Read.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Yea, I get the sense that they took creative license with that role the most. TBH I don't mind it that much, but yeah...it just doesn't compare to the rest of the stuff that goes down in the show. Heck, the bits with Max have always been running almost entirely parallel to everything else that's going on ever since mid Season 1, rather than it being involved that actively, so the show just lurches to a stop through it. Hopefully that changes this season, since everything is about to be shaken up and re-ordered.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I think it's a budget thing really, you can have your cool ship battles and storms but you also need 20 minutes of filler (or more) It's just a shame they basically make all the lady characters the filler with boring plotlines.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Yeah I've been getting that feeling too. I just wanna believe :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This show, just in life, shows that the lady parts are the best, but only to those that truly understand the lady parts in earnest!.................That being said, I wish any of them would have a payoff. BAZINGA!!!! But seriously, there needs to be something.................SEX WITH WOODES!.......but something.............

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving what?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Sea water's not for drinking :ohdear:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Real talk, though, this show needs some drat Mary Read in it. This is like if you had a tv show about Old West bank robbers and had just Butch Cassidy by his lonesome.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Glad you guys are liking this season ;)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Real talk, though, this show needs some drat Mary Read in it. This is like if you had a tv show about Old West bank robbers and had just Butch Cassidy by his lonesome.

Technically they don't start hanging out with her until the 1720 and this season is 1718

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Jst0rm posted:

Glad you guys are liking this season ;)

Hello are you the coat maker?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's a sound guy on the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The sound is particularly good on the show, now that I think about it.

Even the sound of The Coat.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember sound being in the show. Keep up the good work, sound guy. Also that storm episode was wicked. I find most of the current going-ons inland, besides with Jack, to be horribly boring plot points.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds on the ships specifically right?

Bro status.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I've never read Treasure Island. Should I? Or should I wait until this series ends? I'm a hole digging uneducated pleb. I just want to be entertained!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Charles Vane will escape to the future.

• Locked thread