Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think they are just saying that the game is a lot harder without a shield. Which is true I guess, but I never felt the need to rely on them

Shields are useful until you learn the pivot (towards you) point of every enemy's attack, then they're replaced by rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I swear, putting down a summon sign must raise your likelihood to be invaded or something. Maybe some people pop red eye orbs whenever they see a summon sign.

Could've gotten the fucker too, we were both at a sliver of health. Should learn to actually keep my shield up during a fight if I'm not going to bother two-handing. Or maybe I could've switched to my Zwei to catch him off guard; that worked last time...

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

dis astranagant posted:

Powerstance is great with maces. There aren't many things that won't be dead after the L1-L2 combo with them.

Power stancing large weapons is fun. Power stancing the aged smelter sword and the normal smelter sword ALMOST makes up for the rehash boss fight, cause the double explosion is pretty rad.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
http://m.imgur.com/a/CuI0H

Took some glamour shots of my favorite character in Demon's Souls, reimagined in DS2.

Surprisingly viable in PVP, too. The DGH recovery speed compliments the medium shield parry speed so that if I parry right after an attack, I often catch people's running r1.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Ok cool. I'm sticking with the power stance build.

Also thanks for the Rapier advice. I got one and upgraded it to +3 and its going well so far. I have since killed the forest giant boss and I discovered where the flying shield guy - who I now know is The Pursuer - ran off to because he's currently kicking my rear end with his crazy spin moves.

This game is good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I love fighting the Pursuer. Parrying that giant sword feels good.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It was in Brume tower where Sir Quijx lost his light and humanity. Forever a hallow shall he wander these ramparts, Greatsword scraping across old blood stains. "There were too many of them, and they fought too fiercely" he said as the dark consumed his face for the last time.

I surrender.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Best part of the base game: Getting my face smashed in by Velstadt

Worst part of the base game other than shrine of amana: Smelter demon

Best part of the DLCs: Dropping into the fight with the Burnt Ivory King :whatup:

Worst part of the DLCs: iron passage

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

It was in Brume tower where Sir Quijx lost his light and humanity. Forever a hallow shall he wander these ramparts, Greatsword scraping across old blood stains. "There were too many of them, and they fought too fiercely" he said as the dark consumed his face for the last time.

I surrender.

To know him, was to love him, was to know him.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

Best part of the base game: Getting my face smashed in by Velstadt

The Royal Aegis won my coveted 2014 "Motherfucker of the Year" Award. God I love that fight.

try parrying him

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

scamtank posted:

I love fighting the Pursuer. Parrying that giant sword feels good.

Wow I am so dumb. I didn't even know you could parry. Best time to learn that lesson.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm trying to collect all of the spells for my INT character because a) achievements, but really b) Oooh, what do these all do and look like?

Still on NG, so none of the NG+ or NG++ specific spells, but I'm running around on the belltower getting my rear end handed to me. Most of the people I'm invading are playing on something akin to 28.8K modems. I'm walking around them watching everything miss, and then taking damage a half-second later.

In a few minutes I'm just going to force offline mode so the red NPC spawns due to how annoying this is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pretty much the experience. Your local prime time will get a better ratio of fights that aren't against people a couple tectonic plates away, but it's still a crapshoot. Several hours of PvP in the network test has left me hopeful of 3 not being the same way.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 8, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

amazeballs posted:

Wow I am so dumb. I didn't even know you could parry. Best time to learn that lesson.

What you can and can't parry can be pretty mad at times. Pursuers, dragon riders, ruin sentinels and the poor gently caress down Sinner's Rise are all susceptible (except for the attacks that aren't), but only the first one is out of action long enough to actually capitalize on it solo. Otherwise it's just a nifty way to avoid an attack and give the others an opening to wail on them for a few hits.

As far as I can tell, you can't parry lion warriors or the manic quickdraw slashes of the Heide knights at all.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I learned about lion warriors the hard way, spending all my healing wares trying to learn the timing for parrying, then reading you can't. The true :darksouls: experience.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't get the Lion Warriors at all. Infinite poise, good HP, absurd resistance to some damage types... I guess that explains why there's so little of them though.
And how come there were no Lion Mages despite their set being in a chest? Not that we needed more mages but the thought of one that just sorta smacks you in the face with an axe if you get close is funny.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

scamtank posted:

As far as I can tell, you can't parry lion warriors or the manic quickdraw slashes of the Heide knights at all.

You can parry normal slashes and the fast, charged ones. Not sure about the quick, lateral ones, because those catch me by surprise every time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah I parry their normal swings as my first option. I meant those reaction slashes you get when you try to swing behind them or break their poise.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, I thought you mean the charged ones. Fair enough.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HGH posted:

I don't get the Lion Warriors at all. Infinite poise, good HP, absurd resistance to some damage types... I guess that explains why there's so little of them though.
And how come there were no Lion Mages despite their set being in a chest? Not that we needed more mages but the thought of one that just sorta smacks you in the face with an axe if you get close is funny.

They're basically tailor made to be backstabbed.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

HGH posted:

My guess is that they were originally planned to be in the game but they were cut due to time constraints.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did the Falconers always have such a silly, constipated waddle?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Falconers are woefully under animated, presumably because in the original game the only place they showed up was right at the start of Things Betwixt and thus were obscured by the waist high grass and had no need to be super well animated.

Which makes the devs decision to reuse them in other areas for Scholar incredibly baffling.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I started on Scholar of the First Sin recently in prep for Dark Souls 3, and for some reason I just keep getting wrecked worse than usual. I can't seem to find a weapon that works well for me so I just stuck with the fire longsword, now it's at +7 and i'm at the Iron Keep. I gave up there after the red invaders by the front door just wrecked me over and over, and then ran through Tseldora til the Freya fight which I probably could have won but hosed up about halfway.

I couldn't find Creighton and Pate fighting in Tseldora cove like in standard DS2, even though I swear I spoke to them both enough times. Did they move their location?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Some of the areas that used to be easy killed me several times on my current playthrough, like Earthen Peak and the Royal Army Camp. Usually I'm dying to ambushes I'm not expecting, making me a lot more cautious. I'd definitely dump your fire longsword for Iron Keep. Have you considered using the plain longsword? What are your stats?

Also with Pate and Creighton you have to exhaust all their dialogue in addition to meeting them, so go back to the last place you saw them and if they're there, talk to them some more.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ran into a Pursuer encounter I never saw before, returning to the courtyard with all the dogs between the Exile Holding Cell and McDuff bonfires in Lost Bastile. I'm there dodging the archers and like four dogs when I'm suddenly impaled by his curse skewer. I run round the corner to get some distance and safely heal and then he's gone again. Spooky.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Though it's fitting the one time I get hit by the Pursuer it's because he sneaks up on me whilst I'm fighting six other things. That's some high level technique right there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HGH posted:

Lion Magic is hitting you really hard when you aren't looking

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lion Magic is hitting you really hard when you aren't looking

If the armor set is anything to go by, it's actually stupidly fast casting magic. So they'd probably combo a spell into an axe to the face.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Thievery posted:

I started on Scholar of the First Sin recently in prep for Dark Souls 3, and for some reason I just keep getting wrecked worse than usual. I can't seem to find a weapon that works well for me so I just stuck with the fire longsword, now it's at +7 and i'm at the Iron Keep. I gave up there after the red invaders by the front door just wrecked me over and over, and then ran through Tseldora til the Freya fight which I probably could have won but hosed up about halfway.

I couldn't find Creighton and Pate fighting in Tseldora cove like in standard DS2, even though I swear I spoke to them both enough times. Did they move their location?

Share us your main stats?

Also the same thing happened to me too, turns out I forgot to finish Pate's dialogue in Earthen Peak because, for whatever reason, his last dialogue didn't trigger after I picked up the treasures nearby until I reloaded the area.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thievery posted:

I started on Scholar of the First Sin recently in prep for Dark Souls 3, and for some reason I just keep getting wrecked worse than usual.

I keep trying to roll through attacks and rally my HP back.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yep, coming to it after BB I have to seriously stifle the urge to try to regain my health after getting hit. It's gotten me killed a few times.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah I think that's one of my main issues, I keep expecting to be able to regain HP like in BB.

I'm mainly STR but my DEX is pretty close, 29 and 25 respectively. I've never really found a weapon set that works for me in the Souls series, I used to like the scimitars but they just don't do any damage.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
You've got a lot of options open to you. I'm playing a mixed str/dex character as well and I've been very happy with the sun sword/claymore combo. If you're used to the fire longsword's moveset (assuming you like it), the normal longsword is great and won't hold you back with split damage (unless that was part of your build). Shortsword and foot soldier sword are both underrated alternatives. Bastard sword is also great. These are all just early-game options. I'd recommend the halberd if I didn't despise it.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Deified Data posted:

You've got a lot of options open to you. I'm playing a mixed str/dex character as well and I've been very happy with the sun sword/claymore combo. If you're used to the fire longsword's moveset (assuming you like it), the normal longsword is great and won't hold you back with split damage (unless that was part of your build). Shortsword and foot soldier sword are both underrated alternatives. Bastard sword is also great. These are all just early-game options. I'd recommend the halberd if I didn't despise it.

According to the tooltips though none of them deal comparative damage, so I've just stuck with the fire sword. It's +8 too so leveling a new weapon is pretty daunting. I did just manage to get a large club up to +8 and it seems like a decent choice though.

I don't think I have the sun sword but i'll look around for it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

HGH posted:

whichever Big Hat Moreau was responsible for the Shaded Ruins and all the rhino-ogres, elephant-knights and man-scorpions hanging around on Vendrick's/Aldia's dime probably got owned by his own purpose-built wizard slayers

I see a big dumb trail of crumbs that hints they might be former Forossans with ties to Vengarl, but I could just be nuts

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hi thread, i got this for christmas and have been playing and enjoying it pretty steadily but i have some ~*lore*~ questions

why is there another covetous demon in eleum loyce?
how is alsanna still around after giving up her soul?
why the heck are two giants chilling at the bottom of black gulch?
why is vendrick's gear stashed away in the middle of nowhere in shrine of amana?
where is brume tower in relation to the iron keep? what is the old iron kingdom, rather

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://webm.host/65cf1/vid.webm
Well fine then you dumb game, I didn't want any treasure anyway. I just like destroying physics objects! :owned:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Looper posted:

hi thread, i got this for christmas and have been playing and enjoying it pretty steadily but i have some ~*lore*~ questions

why is there another covetous demon in eleum loyce?
how is alsanna still around after giving up her soul?
why the heck are two giants chilling at the bottom of black gulch?
why is vendrick's gear stashed away in the middle of nowhere in shrine of amana?
where is brume tower in relation to the iron keep? what is the old iron kingdom, rather

The answer is pretty much just :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ew, do you actually use the item box?