Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A valid point. At least the connecting HPGs will know when the heartbeat signals are missed. Getting no dial tone is still a tip off, of a sort.

I'm not saying they'll be able to run the HPGs as effectively as ComStar, or that there will be no problems. Just that they're a lot better off than the other IS houses were when they acquired HPGs. More knowledge is better than less (or no) knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

HPGs work on magic technology where a stationary transmitter on the opposite side of a planet, on the far end of an orbit "behind" its sun, can still transmit to the same HPG.

The actual HPGs are in space. They always have been. And they only ever communicate with a few neighbors within 30 light years, typically.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Didn't we have a HPG discussion earlier in this thread, where the science behind is largely magic? Cause if you think about how difficult it would be to keep two dishes that are in separate star systems aligned ... it goes into :psyduck:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If they only have to be roughly aligned, then its less of a problem. Also it might explain the problems with maximum range. "We can't send it any farther because we can't tell the pulse from background noise at those power levels, focusing the beam more is hard and also causes alignment problems, we haven't figured out how to make HPGs that can take more power without melting." "Also the invoicing module of the PBX tends to fry when we do that."

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

K-F reactions have a hard limit of 30 light years or so and can be aimed, remember that planets move in predictable orbits for the most part and thus you can predict where a station will be, and since hpgs only use tiny tiny holes in space rather than starship sized, you don't need to aim for a lagrange point to not get murdered brutally by angry physics for what you hath wrought.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

If they only have to be roughly aligned, then its less of a problem. Also it might explain the problems with maximum range. "We can't send it any farther because we can't tell the pulse from background noise at those power levels, focusing the beam more is hard and also causes alignment problems, we haven't figured out how to make HPGs that can take more power without melting." "Also the invoicing module of the PBX tends to fry when we do that."

How much is "roughly"?

If youre on Earth, and you have something pointed at Alpha Centauri, just a little bit of Earth's rotation is going to miss by over an AU*

* Did not actually do the math.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The idea is that the HPG is aimed at "roughly" the star system in question and the aiming is continuously adjusted because otherwise the rotation of the planet would do it in.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

AtomikKrab posted:

K-F reactions have a hard limit of 30 light years or so and can be aimed, remember that planets move in predictable orbits for the most part and thus you can predict where a station will be, and since hpgs only use tiny tiny holes in space rather than starship sized, you don't need to aim for a lagrange point to not get murdered brutally by angry physics for what you hath wrought.

Well, there was that one Star League jump ship crewed by fuckups and equipped with an experimental 50-light year K-F drive. Of course, it misjumped during the Exodus and didn't arrive at its destination until the 3060's...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
The HPG network is basically a radio that teleports the signal to its destination before the signal expands out, so precision isn't required in most cases. For things like text and basic images, hitting the right solar system once is perfectly fine; start transmitting computer programs, however, and you either need to keep blasting a star system until the download finishes, or transmit with incredible precision with fewer blasts.

The real 'value' of the network is that it can transmit large programs across the entire Inner Sphere reliably, but the Cappellans obviously don't need to worry about doing that, so the biggest difficulties of running the system aren't something they have to worry about.

As always though, anything that involves FTL is going to clash with established science.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Who's up for some mercenary contract negotiations instead?
Negotiation is something like this, right? I'm keen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Qcm24dxaA&t=39s

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Of course it's entirely possible ComStar won't want to point their HPGs at the Capellans either - two can play the "upload a virus to your FTL network" game and the Clan science caste is probably at the top of their nasty tricks game.

I'm guessing the Capellans have less than 10 Clan scientists of varying specialities. What they would have is what, a hundred or so Clan technicians? Clan technicians assigned to a second-line garrison Cluster, at that. They'll know how to maintain, repair, and operate the equipment, maybe insight into its construction, but I don't know how these guys are going to be at mixing it up with ROM's cybersabotage battalions. I mean, don't get me wrong, they could have a lot of tricks ComStar doesn't know about, but ROM's been bricking hard drives of smart people for centuries and probably haven't been standing still themselves. Just because they could conceivably be at a general technological disadvantage doesn't mean that they are disadvantaged when it comes to malware. It could just as easily be the Clanners who end up getting schooled.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It may just be that one of the clan scientists they captured had Ideas about the future and had friends who thought the same and they all shared data and schematics Just If and that Just If came to happen to him, from then he just had to off-load bits of it to Cappelan scientists to sound like a genius.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Of course it's entirely possible ComStar won't want to point their HPGs at the Capellans either - two can play the "upload a virus to your FTL network" game and the Clan science caste is probably at the top of their nasty tricks game.

I didn't know I wanted this until now, but I really want the Capellans to make SpaceStuxnet now. Can you imagine how hosed everything would be if there was a virus out there designed to run silent until it finds certain hardware, like factory machinery, and then it begins to alter the operation of that machinery in subtle and hard to detect ways while reporting systems normal to the operators? "Ooops all your missiles are subtly broken and explode when being loaded into mechs because they get jostled too hard. Why are all you actuators terrible now, that's really odd. No, I'm not sure why you DI computer is doing that, it's factory fresh and should be fine."

This could gently caress everyone so hard. It is the best idea. PTN do this, please.

Or do it and have it fail hilariously, that would also be fantastic.

E: If this happened it could be amazing. It subtly cripples the new star league and most of the successor states (not their existing assets, but anything new) and would be exactly the sort of devious master plan that could backfire terribly that I've come to expect from the Capellans. And it has the added bonus of being slow to spread because of the nature of the HPG system and makes ComStar interdiction just a tiny bit less awful because you are now less likely to get the virus, undermining the power of ComStar in a small and insidious way. It also gives the Capellans a trump card of sorts, but not so big a trump card that they can't gently caress it up terribly. Imagine a whole set of new DI computers that can ID Capellan units and just miss a lot more often when fighting them.

Hell, they don't even need to align the networks for this, just send a commando team/some random dude with a SpaceUSBKey to a system outside of Capellan space and have him slap that fucker into a computer somewhere. Extra points if this person is a double agent, because that's basically how we think Stuxnet actually got where it needed to go in the real world. Air gapped networks don't mean poo poo if you can smuggle things in/out of the facility and have someone malicious or lazy and stupid that works there.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 9, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Olothreutes posted:

I didn't know I wanted this until now, but I really want the Capellans to make SpaceStuxnet now. Can you imagine how hosed everything would be if there was a virus out there designed to run silent until it finds certain hardware, like factory machinery, and then it begins to alter the operation of that machinery in subtle and hard to detect ways while reporting systems normal to the operators? "Ooops all your missiles are subtly broken and explode when being loaded into mechs because they get jostled too hard. Why are all you actuators terrible now, that's really odd. No, I'm not sure why you DI computer is doing that, it's factory fresh and should be fine."

That's a much better way to get to the Dark Ages setting than the one they actually used.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

I'm guessing the Capellans have less than 10 Clan scientists of varying specialities. What they would have is what, a hundred or so Clan technicians? Clan technicians assigned to a second-line garrison Cluster, at that. They'll know how to maintain, repair, and operate the equipment, maybe insight into its construction, but I don't know how these guys are going to be at mixing it up with ROM's cybersabotage battalions. I mean, don't get me wrong, they could have a lot of tricks ComStar doesn't know about, but ROM's been bricking hard drives of smart people for centuries and probably haven't been standing still themselves. Just because they could conceivably be at a general technological disadvantage doesn't mean that they are disadvantaged when it comes to malware. It could just as easily be the Clanners who end up getting schooled.

ROM hasn't been wiping systems and bricking smart people's hard drives. They've been bombing the facilities and shooting the people involved.

They're basically Al Gore's Vice Presidential Action Rangers.

[EDIT] "Murder isn't working, and that's all we're good at!" seems to very fitting when it comes to ROM. Eventually.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been having a heck of a time coming up with something worthy of a political vote after writing the state of the Inner Sphere fluff.

Who's up for some mercenary contract negotiations instead?

You mean, they don't just walk up to a comstar terminal and browse available contracts?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Endomorphic posted:

Negotiation is something like this, right? I'm keen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Qcm24dxaA&t=39s

A bit more like this, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZd6-t27fx8&t=329s

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

ROM hasn't been wiping systems and bricking smart people's hard drives. They've been bombing the facilities and shooting the people involved.

They're basically Al Gore's Vice Presidential Action Rangers.

[EDIT] "Murder isn't working, and that's all we're good at!" seems to very fitting when it comes to ROM. Eventually.

Why are we presenting that as an "or" scenario? They brick your hard drive, crash your system, torch your lab, put a bullet in your head and then bomb the site on their way off-world.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Why are we presenting that as an "or" scenario? They brick your hard drive, crash your system, torch your lab, put a bullet in your head and then bomb the site on their way off-world.

The best part is that nobody ever figures it out.

"What happened to our new research base?!"
"Well, as best we can tell, there was a software bug. That caused the hard drives to fail, which made sparks that set the building on fire. The fire spread to the armory in the Security quarter, which exploded and simultaneously shot all the scientists in the head. Then the generators exploded, leveling the building."

Seems legit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well it happens every friday over more than a century and everyone with any understanding of statistics is dead it can start making sense.

Or you can blame O5P / the Death Commandos / SAFE, somehow? / Loki / DMI for it.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Which one of the Intelligence agencies is supposed to be the best?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ROM is the best as far as actual intelligence gathering goes, and one of the best for randomly removing people.

Death Commandos aren't so much an intelligence agency as they are general purpose murder men, but they do it well.
The Draconis Combine has (or now had, I suppose) Space Ninjas, so they were pretty decent at the stealthy aspect of it.

The bottom of the list is Clan intelligence agencies though. They'd have better luck just declaring a trial of possession for your secrets.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saint Celestine posted:

Which one of the Intelligence agencies is supposed to be the best?

O5P, then a toss-up between LOKI and DMI, followed by the Maskirovka, SAFE, whatever Rasalhague had, and finally the "we don't understand how anyone else thinks but this is how we interpret this via reading entrails and/or decapitating a chicken to see where its body falls" I mean the Watch.

The Order of the Five Pillars had agents loving everywhere (sometimes literally). They're the only ones to successfully infiltrate ComStar.

Edit: WITHOUT ComStar catching on.

Double Edit: And got their agent into the First Circuit and eventually made Primus.

Triple Edit: Subhash Indrahar is loving terrifying.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 9, 2016

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Never even heard of 05P. Wiki says they have their own space marines and their own jump fleet? That can't be normal?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

The best part is that nobody ever figures it out.

"What happened to our new research base?!"
"Well, as best we can tell, there was a software bug. That caused the hard drives to fail, which made sparks that set the building on fire. The fire spread to the armory in the Security quarter, which exploded and simultaneously shot all the scientists in the head. Then the generators exploded, leveling the building."

Seems legit.

It's like in Sword of the Stars, how boosting your research into alien languages can cause your science lab to explode.

Saint Celestine posted:

Never even heard of 05P. Wiki says they have their own space marines and their own jump fleet? That can't be normal?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Order_of_Five_Pillars

It's... weird. Basically Siriwan Kurita raised the O5P's profile big time when she was in charge because she didn't trust the ISF at all and it's been a thing ever since.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 9, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
They're not a House Intel Agency, but the Wolf's Dragoons (in the OTL) should count as an Intelligence Agency in the "Competent or Higher" category.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

berryjon posted:

They're not a House Intel Agency, but the Wolf's Dragoons (in the OTL) should count as an Intelligence Agency in the "Competent or Higher" category.

Until they went native, anyway.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's like in Sword of the Stars, how boosting your research into alien languages can cause your science lab to explode.

My Queeeeen! Inflammable means flammable!

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Today, we discovered that someone in intelligence decided it was a good idea to have their high end warship computers self-destruct when they detect spoken Tarkan. Unfortunately our linguistics lab used one of said computers for its processing needs.

We need a new lab now.

Remmon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 9, 2016

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Also more processors and starship parts. Enough to build about 30 Dreadnaughts. And, yes, we need all these by friday. Yes, AI command on each and every one of these.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Order_of_Five_Pillars

It's... weird. Basically Siriwan Kurita raised the O5P's profile big time when she was in charge because she didn't trust the ISF at all and it's been a thing ever since.

ISF is the FBI. They're good at what they do but when they get loud they get loud.

O5P is like the CIA with Geishas.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

O5P is like the CIA with Geishas.

I thought we were talking about O5P being -good-. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

berryjon posted:

Yeah but it's extremely stupid that they have that capability so I'm willing to ignore it. Like, I'm willing to buy that they were able to keep people from tapping their comms because duh, they have Clantech which means they have an actual ECM and poo poo. But having them be so incredibly loving good at infiltration that they're on ROM's level when they come from a society that has no use for it whatsoever?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Yeah but it's extremely stupid that they have that capability so I'm willing to ignore it. Like, I'm willing to buy that they were able to keep people from tapping their comms because duh, they have Clantech which means they have an actual ECM and poo poo. But having them be so incredibly loving good at infiltration that they're on ROM's level when they come from a society that has no use for it whatsoever?

On the other hand, it's not a high bar they have to pass. They're a LosTech Merc Company, not spies from beyond the Outer Sphere. I can buy them being that good simply because most of their targets simply underestimated them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pussy Cartel posted:

I thought we were talking about O5P being -good-. :v:

They are. They sleep their way to knowledge because OpSec is something that medieval knights don't understand.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

berryjon posted:

On the other hand, it's not a high bar they have to pass. They're a LosTech Merc Company, not spies from beyond the Outer Sphere. I can buy them being that good simply because most of their targets simply underestimated them.

But the Houses were putting them at the top of their priority lists. Literally everyone in the Inner Sphere was gunning for them. That's not how underestimation works I think.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

having them be so incredibly loving good at infiltration that they're on ROM's level when they come from a society that has no use for it whatsoever?

I always wondered what FASA's what-became-the-Clans society concept might've originally looked like. Wolves on the Border laid out that the Dragoons were strange outsiders with their own culture and customs, sure. Maybe in that concept instead of the Clans being pants-on-head retarded in intelligence and special operations, they were just a weird recluse SLDF in Exile that decided to sprinkle some corrupted Hebrew words in their official meeting speeches but maintained institutional knowledge of intel gathering and all that, and that's the version that Wolves on the Border was rolling with.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Technically, Wolf's Dragoons were spies, just for the Clans. The fact that they were so good at it, though, can probably be chalked up to being one of those writer-favored groups who tended to hold the protagonist ball more often than not.

In the Dark Ages they're "just" an elite mercenary group, but considering the hits the mercenary industry took post-Jihad, including the whiteout that kicked off the dark age, it would've been impossible for them to completely recover from the fall of Outreach.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Grizzwold posted:

As long as one of those negotiators is named Roger Smith I'd say go for it.

Rorahusky posted:

Please tell me he negotiates with a 100-ton Battlemech armed with dual Pilebunkers.

BIG O, SHOWTIME!

Oh man, nostalgia bomb right there. I would love it if he showed up. PTN has already stuck a bunch of animu references in this LP (Sergeant Weber and SSgt. Mao in the Duchy of New Syrtis split mission post Taurian nuking, anyone? Rick Hunter in the Wolfhound back on Somerset? Whatever happened to that dude anyway? Wasn't he taken bondsman along with Caesar and Lieutenant Sam Clover, which is why Muk still can't use contractions here when they post in this thread?), what's one more?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

But the Houses were putting them at the top of their priority lists. Literally everyone in the Inner Sphere was gunning for them. That's not how underestimation works I think.

Mercenaries with pristine SLDF mechs and their own private space station/mech factory? No reason for anyone important to pay any attention to those guys :v:

• Locked thread