Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was... in the universe of Watchmen.

The only universe that counts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Red Storm Rising came out in 1985 in this universe.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Oh poo poo, Wellick's wife from Mr Robot

She's a fine fine looking woman.

Oh, you meant the actress, sorry! :doh:

But yeah, does this mean that we get a re-run this week in Canada? I missed the first half going on a victory lap after the superbowl.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Isn't that moot since they were in '86?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could only think of that issue of X-men where Wolverine and Ms Marvel sneak into the pentagon for the first part.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rocksicles posted:

Wentworth Miller is carrying this show. And whoever is playing savage, when he's actually around... chewing on scenery like a beaver.

Really? I agree with the Snart comment, but I can't stand the actor playing Savage.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's not my Vandal Savage... way too small.

But he's giving it loads, really.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Of all the Arrow/Flash episodes that were a fun ride, this series seems like a non-stop party for the cast. I have never seen such insane chemistry between an entire cast before. Almost every line read they seem like they can barely keep it together. Ray getting called out on quoting Top Gun and his facial expressions were perfect.

This must be Wentworth Miller's favorite role ever. He oozes such smugness and confidence I can't believe they have greenlit a Captain Cold pilot show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 9, 2016

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pentyne posted:

Of all the Arrow/Flash episodes that were a fun ride, this series seems like a non-stop party for the cast. I have never seen such insane chemistry between an entire cast before. Almost every line read they seem like they can barely keep it together. Ray getting called out on quoting Top Gun and his facial expressions were perfect.

As much as I complained about the larger narrative stuff, I really like the way they're structuring the individual episodes with little C-plots between just 2 characters. It's a great opportunity to flesh out the relationship dynamics between the cast quickly - Stein/Ray, Sara/Kendra, etc. Reminds me a bit of what they did in the old Justice League cartoon. And like you said, they're actually building good chemistry between these people, too. Even Jackson the Natural Athlete.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

As much as I complained about the larger narrative stuff, I really like the way they're structuring the individual episodes with little C-plots between just 2 characters. It's a great opportunity to flesh out the relationship dynamics between the cast quickly - Stein/Ray, Sara/Kendra, etc. Reminds me a bit of what they did in the old Justice League cartoon. And like you said, they're actually building good chemistry between these people, too. Even Jackson the Natural Athlete.

Yes, it's great that this group really only operates as a team occasionally, and is mostly a collection of strong individuals each with their own motivations and morals often operating at cross purposes. And at any time, any one of them can say "You guys wait here Imma go try something" and zoom off (and then mess up the situation).

And really, Rip Hunter is a time-travelling gently caress-up and a fugitive with a legitimate bounty hunter chasing him,. The Time Masters told him not to do what he's doing but he is trying anyway, even though he knows it's wrong.
The essential time paradox Rip refuses to accept:
If Savage is not around to kill Rip's family in 2166, Rip does not steal the Waverider, go back in time, assemble the team, and try to stop Savage.

IOW to see the events that are taking place on this show, Rip cannot and does not stop Savage from rising to power and killing his wife and son.

So now Rip has inculcated these people into helping him and rather than heroes, they're essentially all time criminals. Even though from their own point of view they're trying to save humanity. It's a great conflict within the show.

And to conclude: I had no idea who Caity Lotz is other than actress on Arrow and LoT. Then I saw this. :boom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACP7Gl8WkPk

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 9, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's got skills fo' shizzle. I can watch Women's Tricking all drat day.

Death Valley is loving BRILLIANT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLockqmoFY

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 9, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unfortunately they don't really use any of that in these shows.

She still does a lot of the same floppy women's wrestling style fighting that everyone else does. It's too bad she wasn't in that Arrow episode the stunt coordinator directed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're so lucky that Miller is having the time of his life because without him this show has nothing going for it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Rocksicles posted:

She's got skills fo' shizzle. I can watch Women's Tricking all drat day.

Death Valley is loving BRILLIANT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLockqmoFY

Death Valley died too soon, I'm glad at least one person from that got more work.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
That episode that CTV leaked early is so dumb. Why does Ray not take his suit on an infiltration mission where he could have just gotten in by virtue of being tiny? Why is Victor Garber a total moron when the plot demands it? Why are we dealing with not one, not two, but three equally boring ~bloodlust~/~hawkrage~ storylines in the Arrowverse right now? Why can this team of like twenty seven people with superpowers, energy weapons, a timetraveling spaceship and magic bullshit not handle some dude with a rifle from the future?

On the plus side: No appearance by Vandal Savage, Master of Knives, which is always a good thing. Captain Cold and Heat Wave continue to own. Ray is growing on me. I'm also seriously beginning to suspect Berlanti only made this show so he could put Caity Lotz and Arthur Darville in sexy outfits, which is A-OK with me.

Also, as dumb as this show is, as lame as Vandal Savage and Cronos are, and as nonsensical as the whole WHERE DID VANDAL SAVAGE GO??? :saddowns: thing that happened 5 minutes after Rip murdered him is, this show is fun in a way that Flash and Arrow just aren't lately.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 9, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's nonsensical is that they keep going forward in time facing an ever increasingly prepared Savage instead of going backwards

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Azhais posted:

What's nonsensical is that they keep going forward in time facing an ever increasingly prepared Savage instead of going backwards

This show has the worst plotting this side of Dexter, just roll with it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Azhais posted:

The Doctor addresses this at some point, talking about being unable to cross their own time streams or whatever.

Basically because the team hosed with Savage in '75 and he survived, they can't kill him before then now because that would cause a paradox.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
so what you're telling me is that I will never get to see Wentworth Miller chewing scenery in ancient Egypt?

this show is BULLSHIT :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I kinda expect the finale to be some sort of final encounter with Savage in the future with the Doctor Rip on his last legs and Savage about to kill him and while he's monologing they reveal some sort of elaborate :master: plan involving the team setting things up across various points in history across the Earth to stop Savage

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I kinda expect the finale to be some sort of final encounter with Savage in the future with the Doctor Rip on his last legs and Savage about to kill him and while he's monologing they reveal some sort of elaborate :master: plan involving the team setting things up across various points in history across the Earth to stop Savage

I'm picturing that scene in Bill and Ted where they tell each other what they should do in the past and then it instantly happens.

Vandal whips open his coat filled with knives.
"Remember to steal knifedudes knives, dudes!" - Rip
Vandal checks coat to find it now completely empty.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

WarLocke posted:

The Doctor addresses this at some point, talking about being unable to cross their own time streams or whatever.

Basically because the team hosed with Savage in '75 and he survived, they can't kill him before then now because that would cause a paradox.

That makes no sense... Rip's already tangled in Savage's timeline in his own present after his family was killed, kickstarting his whole revenge quest. If that's true, he can't stop Savage at all, as he'd have no reason to go on an illicit time rampage to begin with.

In other words, they should go murder a baby.

Alternatively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Soothing Vapors posted:

so what you're telling me is that I will never get to see Wentworth Miller chewing scenery in ancient Egypt?

this show is BULLSHIT :mad:

Nah see what they'll do find out that he has something in a modern timeline that makes him unstoppable, and instead of dumbly headsmashing their way into it they travel back in time to prevent him from getting the thing in the first place. At least I hope so.

I also so badly want there to be a western episode so that Jonah Hex can show up and be snark-bros with Snart :allears:.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trundel posted:

I also so badly want there to be a western episode so that Jonah Hex can show up and be snark-bros with Snart :allears:.

Just so you know They have cast Hex I also thought it was an issue where they went to 75 since that is where the only dude who researched Vandel is, and he disappears at certain times

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Obviously they need Hex because he's a renowned bounty hunter and tracker.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm also seriously beginning to suspect Berlanti only made this show so he could put Caity Lotz and Arthur Darville in sexy outfits, which is A-OK with me.

More about the Berlantiverse: This week The Flash goes to Earth 2 and a tv news report in Central City mentions Mayor Snart.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 10, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

That episode that CTV leaked early is so dumb. Why does Ray not take his suit on an infiltration mission where he could have just gotten in by virtue of being tiny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Ray and Firestorm are Angel Summoner. Everyone else is BMX Bandit.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I would legit enjoy this show much more if BMX Bandit joined the team.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/caitylotz/status/697598284345405440

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Ray and Firestorm are Angel Summoner. Everyone else is BMX Bandit.

I'm not entirely convinced Canary and the goon squad are even as good as BMX Bandit

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm not entirely convinced Canary and the goon squad are even as good as BMX Bandit

There's gonna be a dance fight and look how dumb you'll be :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bad Moon posted:

There's gonna be a dance fight and look how dumb you'll be :colbert:

Give her a stick and fight some goons with that move. It can be like Roy's flips.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
This newest episode has to be up there on the list of "Arrowverse episodes with the most Captain Cold cold puns." Anyone count them?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Longbaugh01 posted:

This newest episode has to be up there on the list of "Arrowverse episodes with the most Captain Cold cold puns." Anyone count them?

The more screen time Miller gets the more cold puns keep dropping. I want to think at least some of them are ad-libed.

Also they didn't pull the "incapacitate Savage but leave him to recover instead of launching him into the sun" ending this time, so that's good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Leonard Snart sounds like the name of a proctologist.

It's a very goofy name. Like Vinny Plops or Chad Flubb.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Not nearly enough wigs for 80's spy hijinks.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I didn't expect that outcome.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I really liked Ray's line "I always wanted to be a spy!" as he played one on 'Chuck' where a character remarked that he "looked kind of like Superman." Additionally, if I'm not mistaken Chris Fedak was a producer on both shows.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Snart continues to be the best character on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Kammat posted:

Snart continues to be the best character on here.

Pretty much. He's clearly having fun with the role in general, which makes all the difference in the world with this sort of show and character.

• Locked thread