Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I do think a lot of people who play this game have severe misconceptions about how strategy and planning work both in this game and in the real world. Very few things are 100% certain which is why you plan with fail safes, you keep sure things in your back pocket and work through the options you have. If you play this way (and you can even with a turn timer) then you can keep a lot of troops alive and the bad rolls just don't matter as much. Your job is to make the odds as favorable as possible before you start rolling the dice, if you don't bad things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Taffer posted:

How do I upgrade gremlins?

Level 2 is a MEC autopsy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how if you murder enough aliens Tygan just goes "gently caress it we have so many bodies we can do this autopsy immediately".

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
About when are folks researching magnetic weapons? I feel like my first campaign is a bit hosed because I've put it off and now it's taking forever to kill stuff while the aliens are getting swole as gently caress. I guess I could salvage it but right now every mission is pretty much bashing my ballsack into paste with a mallet way way more than I remember the first game ever doing.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The mod I was using the allow any weapons on my soldiers suddenly updated into a cheat mod allowing 5 upgrades on all weapons and of course you can't remove mods without bricking saves. It also seems to have broken the Salvo ability now.

The mod worked great til that rear end in a top hat started messing with it. :mad:

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

Voyager I posted:

This is an accurate description of your page-long passive-aggressive whingepost and continued presence in the thread.

You are cool and attractive, friend.

I like how me deleting your PM without reading resulted in your first post in this thread.

All in all, I got to play a pretty ok game for a bit.

KOMI fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how if you murder enough aliens Tygan just goes "gently caress it we have so many bodies we can do this autopsy immediately".

I think those immediate projects are actually research credits from doing other projects, because they always kick in after completion of something else. (Or maybe I'm just missing cause and effect here)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KOMI posted:

Done with this game. Not because I beat it or anything but because it's uninstalled and I'll be just getting my money back tomorrow so no harm done.

Gave it a go but there's really one single thing that has ruined it for me and a few others - and it's the pathetic panic system. It's mental and it just needs to go. The game would be quite the cakewalk without it and that in itself is pretty telling as it's the SOLE RESPONSIBLE "feature" that has caused me failure every time. They've really ramped it up since last release and it's obnoxious. In a game where "89% chance to hit!" is merely a goddamn suggestion and you will miss 4 out of 4 shots all the time, we need all the help we can get, and bullshit gimmicks like "omg panic mode everyone!" only make it more frustrating.

gently caress it. Seriously. It's a total cop-out mechanic to give the illusion of challenge (and realism, I guess) when it really just needlessly sabotages your carefully planned tactics which would have otherwise went smoothly.
Some examples:

Veteran soldier gets poisoned. 1 point of damage. Panics. Runs 5 squares away from squad and throws back a grenade, killing a couple.

Soldier get attacked but is grazed, doing one point of damage. Veteran soldier next to him panics for the next 2-3 turns and is inevitably executed by incoming hostiles as he cannot be controlled to move away.

Soldier takes a hit from the enemy. PANIC. Runs away from squad into oncoming Overwatchers. Gets hit again. RE-PANIC (I guess this is a thing?). Runs BACK INTO THE SQUAD and shoots one, resulting in death.

Soldier gets hit. Minimal damage. PANIC. Then two or three nearby soldiers PANIC as well, and it seems contagious like a virus. All soldiers are now panic'd and I miss a turn due to first soldier taking minimal damage.

You've been with this squad for 10 or more missions, and you panic to that extent? It also doesn't help that the audio guys behind this game for some reason decided to raise the volume level of the panic sound queue by an additional 30 decibels so it just sounds like someone getting off to anyone who happens to be listening.

Maybe I'll remove panics with a mod sometime in the future when this goes on sale but right now I'd rather just play something without any bullshit mechanics, thanks.

It's a shame you didn't have fun but this is basically an expectations problem. What you're experiencing is what the game aspires and claims to be. It is unfair sometimes. It is a quasi-roguelike in ways.

:xcom:

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's a shame you didn't have fun but this is basically an expectations problem. What you're experiencing is what the game aspires and claims to be. It is unfair sometimes. It is a quasi-roguelike in ways.

:xcom:

I'll give it another go sometime I'm sure. It wasn't a bad game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Level 2 is a MEC autopsy

cool, thanks. I had been delaying some autopsies because they can become instant after a while. Guess I need that one :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Space Skeleton posted:

The mod I was using the allow any weapons on my soldiers suddenly updated into a cheat mod allowing 5 upgrades on all weapons and of course you can't remove mods without bricking saves. It also seems to have broken the Salvo ability now.

The mod worked great til that rear end in a top hat started messing with it. :mad:

~FEATURE CREEP~

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just finished my first campaign, on Commander difficulty which was definitely the right call, felt like I had to keep using my head the whole game through. The final mission was fantastically tense - it really felt like you had to (ab)use every broken skill available to keep up with the sheer volume of poo poo getting thrown at you.

A few questions/thoughts:

- Am I right in saying that Facility Leads are entirely pointless? You get notified whenever the aliens build a facility, and the two times I tried to research it, it just pointed me at ones I could already see.

- In the previews I saw a couple of missions involving investigating landed UFOs like in EU, but I didn't get given a single one all game. Is there something specific you have to do to unlock them?

- I kinda wish there was an obvious end to the tech tree like the blaster bombs in EU - it just sort of petered out with the last few autopsies.

- I only fought 3 berserkers in the entire game apart from the final mission. Are they meant to be that rare?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Rangers need to be reworked. The blade is just never that good compared to a shotgun. Shotguns hurt more reliably, and crit for crazy amounts of damage, especially when using talon rounds + laser sight.

Storm gun (10%) + Advanced laser sight (15% or more) + talon rounds (20%) is just utterly ridiculous. Throw in the ranger 3 damage flank bonus on stuff that gets flanked and it's even sillier.

My end game shotgun ranger killed a open shelled full health gatekeeper. That's impossible with the blade. This annoys me so much because the blade is so cool, yet so useless.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 9, 2016

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Maluco Marinero posted:

I do think a lot of people who play this game have severe misconceptions about how strategy and planning work both in this game and in the real world. Very few things are 100% certain which is why you plan with fail safes, you keep sure things in your back pocket and work through the options you have. If you play this way (and you can even with a turn timer) then you can keep a lot of troops alive and the bad rolls just don't matter as much. Your job is to make the odds as favorable as possible before you start rolling the dice, if you don't bad things happen.

Listening to this person will yield good results, in this game and others. Were not playing chess here.

I dont understand the blade complaints, its not like the dumb sneaky skilltree makes shotguns any better. Blades give you so many free attacks if you keep your rangers in the vanguard, it's not even funny. And you still also have your shotgun. Blitz blitz blitz

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm not sure about the rest, but Facility Leads are actually gold because they mean you can assault a facility without contacting the local resistance (so without needing to spare comms capacity or connect to a radio relay).

Any facility that's been built is visible on the Geoscape but you can't attack one without local contact or a facility lead.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is there any way to view character stats in combat? one of my guys picked up +20 hacking from a terminal but I can't remember which one

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

My second playthrough I chained flawless mission after flawless mission, the first time I even had a troop scratched was the first time I thought 'I can probably...'

No, you can't. Never ever.

Grenade all the things. All of them.

Hard cover is mandatory, low cover is damage taken.

Hunker Down is good. Smoke is good. Aid is good. Hard cover with any or all of the above is better.

Predator and Conceal scouting are god tier. As are scout grenades, scout protocol, and mimic grenades.

I'm sure things will fall apart at some point here, but yeah. Play once, learn poo poo, fail, retry, do better. If you're never in a situation where making a 75% shot means success or failure it doesn't matter if you miss a 95% shot that means success or more success.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Flavahbeast posted:

is there any way to view character stats in combat? one of my guys picked up +20 hacking from a terminal but I can't remember which one

Only way is to actually attempt to hack something and look at his stat there. Hopefully someone proves me wrong.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm not sure about the rest, but Facility Leads are actually gold because they mean you can assault a facility without contacting the local resistance (so without needing to spare comms capacity or connect to a radio relay).

Any facility that's been built is visible on the Geoscape but you can't attack one without local contact or a facility lead.

:aaa: that makes sense, and that'll save a lot of time in the next campaign, as if the doom clock wasn't trivial enough.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Kin33 posted:

Only way is to actually attempt to hack something and look at his stat there. Hopefully someone proves me wrong.

Aborting a hack attempt at least doesnt waste the action pount im pretty sure...

Unless were not talking about a gremlin haver here so hed actually have to run up to the thing, in which case lol a goof has been done

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, i really love pure snipers in this game. Kill Zone to make any ambush that much more deadly, Serial to mop up everything. That skill that makes kills that happen from a higher elevation give the sniper another move. Pretty cool class, and combined with the new and improved grapple they are maneuverable too.

loving mostly pure stealth rangers are insane too, they took my missions from "wounded, wounded, gravely wounded" to silky smooth.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My incredibly powerful, terrifying, Jean Grey-tier psychic just got wounded and reduced to 0 will.

Endgame spoilers: This happened in the mission to hack the ADVENT tower so she can't go on another mission to recover. She's been with me for months and has taken much worse hits than this before. :xcom:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Taffer posted:

cool, thanks. I had been delaying some autopsies because they can become instant after a while. Guess I need that one :v:

yeah the whole 'eventually this becomes instant' thing is a bit of a trap. some of the autopsies open up some seriously hot poo poo, while others are the definition of forgettable. this wouldn't be as big a deal if a tier of research wasn't about 10 days, so if you pick 2-3 bad autopsies you've got jack poo poo where you could have unlocked predator armor or mag weapons.

so consequently i had plasma rifles before i figured out that mec autopsies weren't a waste of time.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I think the skills are really balanced because I cannot understand how anyone would use some of the, in my opinion, situational to garbage skills youre using, but youre gettin good results it seems and that rocks.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Mister Adequate posted:

My incredibly powerful, terrifying, Jean Grey-tier psychic just got wounded and reduced to 1 will.

Willpower doesn't seem tied to psionic strength anymore. Psi strength is a separate stat now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

mouse over their name while in combat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maluco Marinero posted:

I think those immediate projects are actually research credits from doing other projects, because they always kick in after completion of something else. (Or maybe I'm just missing cause and effect here)

It pops up a messing telling you that you killed enough aliens you can do so. Research credits just cut the time in half. I got faceless and sectoid research done instantly for example.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mister Adequate posted:

My incredibly powerful, terrifying, Jean Grey-tier psychic just got wounded and reduced to 0 will.

Endgame spoilers: This happened in the mission to hack the ADVENT tower so she can't go on another mission to recover. She's been with me for months and has taken much worse hits than this before. :xcom:

Give her a mindshield, give no fucks.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, psi strength comes from your psi amp, which you can upgrade after autopsying sectoids and gatekeepers. Will just determines your vulnerability to panic and the psi attacks of your enemies, so if you've got a shaken character and you can't risk it just slap a mind shield on them to keep them safe and calm.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright, I finally passed that dumb 70% chance! Time for some skull mining!

gently caress you! :qq:

I'm gonna guess this is a glitch; not only did the failed hack cause him to take feedback damage, but every other hack I attempted on robotic enemies for the rest of that mission also caused feedback damage. Even though he passed those and it makes zero sense to continue the effect.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Deuce posted:

Willpower doesn't seem tied to psionic strength anymore. Psi strength is a separate stat now.

Oh I think you're right actually, thank Christ for that.

No mindshield for her because I didn't think of it, but oh well!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Space Skeleton posted:

this is why you should use my allow any weapons mod instead :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617733366

I can guarantee you that there won't be any feature creep. FWIW you can unload mods with, ironically, another workshop mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619141883&se

Make sure you unequip any non-native weapons first of course.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Hooly poo poo, Haywire Protocol owns.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what happens to the troops that get captured? Are they as good as dead or can I get them back somehow?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

KOMI posted:

I like how me deleting your PM without reading resulted in your first post in this thread.

All in all, I got to play a pretty ok game for a bit.

I didn't PM you, guy who is clearly above all this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shut the gently caress up already.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already but if everything else is equal, do overwatch and fire have the same hit probability?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

RBA Starblade posted:

It pops up a messing telling you that you killed enough aliens you can do so. Research credits just cut the time in half. I got faceless and sectoid research done instantly for example.

Ah okay, I don't read good, I see the green button and I mash it good.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already but if everything else is equal, do overwatch and fire have the same hit probability?

I think overwatch has a -15 penalty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Standard overwatch has an aim reduction (not sure how much), concealed overwatch has no reduction.