Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:laffo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/treeofsavior/comments/449t91/now_that_the_ausrine_civil_war_has_ended/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
What? there's pvp in this game?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

whalestory posted:

What? there's pvp in this game?

Guilds can war other guilds, yeah. Then the members of the warring guilds get to kill each other anywhere except towns afaik. The only thing you have to lose is your guild tower, which costs 100k to build and once destroyed cannot be rebuilt for 24 hours. And your patience, ofc! :wink:

Also there's arena pvp. 2v2 and 5v5 modes i think?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Hmmm.. guild towers sound neat

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

This sounds a lot like all the drama that happened in private RO servers that had BR guilds vs. everyone else.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
The fact you can enter another guild's building to vandalize and sabotage is hilarious. Each and every guild battle will start with someone's guild getting destroyed Just Cause 2/3 style.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Wind Tempest posted:

The fact you can enter another guild's building to vandalize and sabotage is hilarious. Each and every guild battle will start with someone's precious flower garden getting destroyed Just Cause 2/3 style.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK that sort of pvp fuckery is one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind grinding this game

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's loving incredible, I love it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
This Silento kid, look at him! He's actually hyped for MapleStory 2.

That said the guild war story does remind me ToS still has some redeeming features, so I guess I can play it again. Begrudgingly. With my mind set on hating it before I even launch it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
silento is good and cool and ill fuk u up if u say otherwise

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

silento is good and cool and ill fuk u up if u say otherwise

:glomp:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to play this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We don't have any indication of a release tho right?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Not for international, no. :smith:

I bought a kNexon account and I've been playing the Korean version the last few days, it's fun. I plan on dling Maple2 sometime and trying that too! Totes worth the :10bux: so far!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In the kr release, has the content started getting tough or interesting at any point? Probably the biggest complaint about the beta I had was that nothing was even remotely challenging or did anything of note. I only played out to 50 or so, but like, even stuff like DFO and BnS has some stuff early in the game that can blast you if you aren't paying attention.

This may or may not have something to do with the fact I was playing as Highlander.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
The issue I had with the beta was that everything felt very linear. Go from Point A to B to C through the map and then start that again on the next map. RO was a bit more free roaming or at least felt like that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, I didn't play a ton of RO so I don't really remember how non-linear it actually was, but everything I've played so far of this game makes it feel exactly like every other themepark kMMO out there, in terms of structure.

I don't really mind that formula in general but I guess maybe I've just super burnt out on it at this point, I've been trying to play through BnS and hitting act 2 I'm just not feeling it at all anymore.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It's definitely a lot more linear than RO. My experience in RO was that it was really fun to explore once, and then on subsequent characters I would just go to the same spots (Wolves, Les, Geos) every time. Also I don't want to imagine getting around those giant RO maps without fwings!

I can't speak to difficulty, as I'm only around level 70. I'm most interested in the plethora of cool class combos that exist, though, so I can't say I mind a gentle difficulty curve that allows you to get your build fleshed out. I'm looking forward to trying PvP (with my 400~ ping)!

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
RO had some great maps but once you learned where everything was it quickly became your standard grind. Private servers kept it fresh and removed the need to grind entirely, and that'll probably be where it's best to enjoy ToS if and when private servers become a thing. I loved what I saw in the beta though so I'm willing to give the official servers a try until the grind gets unbearable.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

With the launch of the game they added Orsha, which is an alternative starting area that converges with Klaipeda at Fedimian (I think?). You can and should do both, though, and they give you more than enough exp to have an easy time. Also a week or two back they added huge bonuses to using the party finder feature for dungeons, and you get like 600% exp now just for using it and killing the dungeon mobs. I got from 50-58 in one dungeon! Leveling doesn't seem bad, even compared to iCBT2, so I'm not worried. They raised the exp needed to get from 236-280, but there isn't actually any content in that range ATM and apparently rank 7 classes will cap their class level a ways before hitting max character level. Presumably they just don't want people hitting cap and complaining about having nothing to do.

I've seen people complaining about instanced leveling content, but as long as they make pre-made parties a competitive option I don't mind it. Instanced content is this huge boogeyman among MMO grognards; "Oh no, I have a place to go that isn't swarmed 24/7 by the entire playerbase? This is Killing the Community!!!" IMO, though, the challenges in a game shouldn't involve simply finding a place that you can play. World bosses exist and give rewards, and I don't think most people will sperg min-max and do only dungeons for exp, assuming it's even optimal.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Eonwe posted:

I'm going to play this

I will play it for a while then quit like with every other MMO these days friend :coffeepal:

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Or you can pick the wrong class with no way to go back and change it. That in the game yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Silento posted:

Not for international, no. :smith:

I bought a kNexon account and I've been playing the Korean version the last few days, it's fun. I plan on dling Maple2 sometime and trying that too! Totes worth the :10bux: so far!

Do you need a VPN to play?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just going to drop this little thing in here.

Mudfish is an amazing vpn, but a little wonky to set up. I've spent maybe 10 or 15 dollars on it over the last 3 years since it only charges you by data rate.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'll check it out, I have like 400 ping lol. ToS is definitely playable so far, but sometimes my skills will bug out and not get used but still lock me in the animation.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Some news: https://treeofsavior.com/

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Better translation and more robust servers sound good!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They sound so nice! :kimchi: I just found out about this and I'm looking forward to trying it when it comes out. My sister and I played Ragnarok Online for years and this game hits all the right switches for a nostalgia overload.

e

Schubalts posted:

This plays almost nothing like Ragnarok, just so you know.

I don't even remember how RO plays, we were kids at the time and had no idea what we were doing :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 12, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best

Schubalts posted:

I know this to be true. But when playing CBT I had a huge rush of nostalgia and fun that I don't think I've had with any mmo since RO. I just hope the fun remains after the nostalgia wears off

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thanks silento, I'm eagerly waiting for live so I can actually be a pardoner

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Schubalts posted:

The keyboard controls made me think of maple story if anything.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did my many RO servers. It felt way too linear, and the poor balancing in tos really killed the fun of some classes for me.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

rizzen posted:

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did my many RO servers. It felt way too linear, and the poor balancing in tos really killed the fun of some classes for me.

RO was ever balanced?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

rizzen posted:

Yeah, the linear WoW style progression is the one thing stopping me from getting too excited about release. You get a lot of customization with classes that have interesting interactions with each other, and then all of that is channeled onto collecting 15 rat tails and moving on to the next quest. Hopefully they do some fun stuff with PVP or some challenging enemies that require niche builds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
First versions of RO also had extremely linear leveling path. There were I think 4 1-20 areas for the 4 starting towns that depended on class, 20-40 had 2 possible areas and after that there was a single path to leveling with any sort of time efficiency.

Of course, only about a year later, there were at least 4 due to the amount of maps they kept making GBS threads out, but very early on it was very limited.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Truga posted:

First versions of RO also had extremely linear leveling path. There were I think 4 1-20 areas for the 4 starting towns that depended on class, 20-40 had 2 possible areas and after that there was a single path to leveling with any sort of time efficiency.

Of course, only about a year later, there were at least 4 due to the amount of maps they kept making GBS threads out, but very early on it was very limited.
That's true. RO Beta was pretty drat bare-bones.

The difference is RO revolves around mobs where as ToS revolves around quests. RO adding heaps of varietal mobs meant more, interesting class builds were viable to take advantage of elemental weaknesses or asymmetrical stats like low flee/hit. More maps in ToS is just going to be more quests to spam for EXP cards. Also, ToS has heavy penalties for fighting mobs too far above or below you, further pushing you to vacate and find the next quest nodes.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

They changed the exp penalty to not take effect until the mobs are 10 levels lower than you, though I'm not sure if it kicks in immediately at 50% or if it starts counting up from 0. Higher level mobs (maybe all mobs? I only found them from low level mobs when I was in Orsha) sometimes drop the same exp cards you get from quests and can drop 'golden anvils' that have less penalties on failure than normal upgrade anvils.

About linearity:

Silento posted:

It's definitely a lot more linear than RO. My experience in RO was that it was really fun to explore once, and then on subsequent characters I would just go to the same spots (Wolves, Les, Geos) every time. Also I don't want to imagine getting around those giant RO maps without fwings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

What's the 6~ gb patch

• Locked thread