Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Reason posted:

Honestly I think its the word Cormorant in the title that does it.

That makes it sound like a wildlife programme. Tell me you can't hear David Attenborough talking about how the Traitor Baru Cormorant steals other birds' fish and lays its eggs in the Baru Cormorant's nest. :colbert:

There's a poo poo ton of short stories on this site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

House Louse posted:

That makes it sound like a wildlife programme. Tell me you can't hear David Attenborough talking about how the Traitor Baru Cormorant steals other birds' fish and lays its eggs in the Baru Cormorant's nest. :colbert:

It always makes me think of Coruscant (from Star Wars, hence the scifi association)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Man, that was both really really good and super depressing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Jesus, that was depressing.

withak posted:

Thanks for ruining my morning.

Snuffman posted:

Man, that was both really really good and super depressing.

If y'all want happy fun times you should read The Last Policeman by Ben Winters.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

If y'all want happy fun times you should read The Last Policeman by Ben Winters.

Are you just being sarcastic? I know the premise of the novel, is the tone really not depressing?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Anyone read the Echoes of Empire series by Mark T Barnes? The three books are on Kindle Unlimited and are pretty good. The worldbuilding and terminology is a little dense to get through at first, but the plotting and characters are strong. Plus it has a setting not ripped off of Historical Fantasy Europe and one of the few examples of a female sword master character in fantasy who does not get stuffed into a fridge or a hackneyed love triangle, which is nice.

Sadly the last book came out in 2014 and the author seems to have dropped off the face of the earth afterwards.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Anyone have any suggestions for particularly well done SciFi audiobooks? I have 3 credits and don't know what to use them on.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mars4523 posted:

Sadly the last book came out in 2014 and the author seems to have dropped off the face of the earth afterwards.

https://www.facebook.com/marktbarnes.author/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Well gently caress that was sure something.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Brought tears (just 1-2) to my eyes at work.

Liked this one for the potential world building but it never really hooked me.

I enjoy stories that take try to add a little variation to vampire stuff so this one was pretty good. I just wish it had a couple more sentences at the end to describe the transformation/new feeling.

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 7, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Huh, nice.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

God drat, that was a story. I kept switching tabs to stop myself from crying, as if waiting a bit would make me less sad. This did not actually work.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the story was okay, but i think these crying responses are more than a little over the top. :staredog:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

An astonishing fact about humans: some of them experience and process emotions differently from others of their species! Occasionally, they will even find pieces of fiction - created by other humans about things that never happened - emotionally resonant or upsetting. What fiction elicits such responses varies from human to human.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i am astonished not only someone would cry over it, but that they would want to let others know what a tremendous pussy they are.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
:goonsay:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I skimmed the wikipedia summary and this sounds right up my alley, very Melancholia-esque. Thanks for the reccomendation! :)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
For the record, General Battuta, "They Might Be Cormorants" made me snort rum and coke.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lest any of you think that the The Last Policeman recommendation as a happy fun time was serious; that trilogy is seriously hosed and you should read it anyway because it is excellent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lest any of you think that the The Last Policeman recommendation as a happy fun time was serious; that trilogy is seriously hosed and you should read it anyway because it is excellent.

I like the premise. Sold.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Book one is the last policeman investigating a suicide that might be a murder. 2011GV 'Maia' will impact in seven months.
Book two is the last policeman doing something that I forget, 2011GV 'Maia' will impact in 77 days.
Book three is the last policeman searching for his missing sister, 2011GV 'Maia' impacts in two weeks.

It is perhaps the most miserable series of books I've ever read. (And that includes MaddAddam, which is a relatively happy trilogy all things considered.)

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

SilkyP posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for particularly well done SciFi audiobooks? I have 3 credits and don't know what to use them on.

The Mars trilogy is good, but also extremely long and sometimes dry. It's a massive investment of time, but a worthwhile one.

If you are willing to step into fantasy go for Anansi Boys. Best audio book I've listened to. Follow it up with American Gods.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neurosis posted:

i am astonished not only someone would cry over it, but that they would want to let others know what a tremendous pussy they are.

Strong men also cry, Neurosis. Strong men also cry.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Urcher posted:

The Mars trilogy is good, but also extremely long and sometimes dry. It's a massive investment of time, but a worthwhile one.

If you are willing to step into fantasy go for Anansi Boys. Best audio book I've listened to. Follow it up with American Gods.

Thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Book one is the last policeman investigating a suicide that might be a murder. 2011GV 'Maia' will impact in seven months.
Book two is the last policeman doing something that I forget, 2011GV 'Maia' will impact in 77 days.
Book three is the last policeman searching for his missing sister, 2011GV 'Maia' impacts in two weeks.

It is perhaps the most miserable series of books I've ever read. (And that includes MaddAddam, which is a relatively happy trilogy all things considered.)

The second book has him trying to find a woman's missing husband and has the super bleak reveal that the government was lying to people about letting refugees land and putting them into camps, instead just blowing up any boats that came close to shore and gunning down any survivors.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Urcher posted:

Read with the understanding that the setting is also a main character.

proka
Feb 6, 2007

SilkyP posted:

I'm a bit late here, but I've really enjoyed all of the Alastair Reynolds books that are narrated by John Lee - in particular House of Suns, The Prefect and Chasm City.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Baru Cormorant first book I couldn't put down in a while. Was pretty great. Ending spoiler: I liked how the ending was 50/50 on whether or not people called it and that was intended. I was pretty much 50/50 on how it would turn out. I figured she could have gone either way. Also so sad ending.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 7, 2016

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

One thing I love about the books is that the notion of a happy ending or solution is dismissed from the beginning as the realm of cranks and conspiracy theorists. The majority of characters, including the protagonist, all are accepting of what is about to happen. It makes for such an interesting feel about the state of their minds.

Ending spoiler there isn't one

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kesper North posted:

Well, Bobby and Amos are great too, and Alex and Naomi aren't bad.

But yeah, Holden's kind of a wanker.
He's a gene-spliced superhuman bred to defend a wildlife refuge, raised by a commune of ELF-wannabe hippes. Of course he's an insufferable wanker. It's part of why it works.

House Louse posted:

Today's history lesson: after publishing Involution Ocean, Bruce Sterling also published his Dungeons & Dragons rules for Samurai in a fanzine: http://playingattheworld.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/the-samurai-in-d-via-bruce-sterling.html#more (read the comments)
gently caress that guy - the only really interesting thing to come out of the Kara Tur sourcebook and its logical descendants, was the "reef pirate" monk package, whih allows you to choose "any evil alignment" including chaotic evil. I trolled my DM so hard with that evil+cowardly monk that I was literally killed off by the DM due to my (level 4, cowardly and rear end in a top hat-ish monk - imagine the guy who kicks around the restaurant in all those old kung fu flicks while talking about HOW HIS KUNG FU IS THE STRONGEST,) character "starting a fight with a level 12 paladin NPC" while I missed a campaign session due to the flu.

If sperglord author wants to write up his own ruleset based o The Book of Five Rings then more power to him, I don't have to read it or give a drat. He still writes better stuff than Stephenson by MILES, and without the tangents every 10 pages.

Kara Tur RULES!!! :black101:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 8, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Turns out Broken Hero was a pretty good book.

PTSD secret agents and dementia having giant killer german mech robots make for a hell of a read, as my friend said.

Worth a read if you've read the others in the series.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
comming off of reading Words of Radiance, The Traitor Baru Cormorant pace was too breakneck for me. Now that I've adjusted to the pace, I am reading it for a second time and appreciate it much more.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Lawrence M. Schoen's Barsk is a good read. I urge y'all to give it a look.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Casimir Radon posted:

I may try A Civil Campaign again some day. Doesn't change that I think it's the weakest entry in the series.

Funny, if you dig into all the Regency Romance and Shakespeare references in it, it's her most finely crafted novel.

As for Chalion, she did a novella called Penric's Demon last year and it's really really good. It ma only be in ebook formats, but it's great. The wrong person ends up catching a demon when a temple saint dies. He turns out to be the exact right person.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kraus posted:

Lawrence M. Schoen's Barsk is a good read. I urge y'all to give it a look.

I'm like 60% through, going slowly because honestly it's a bit boring. I like the uplifted animals aspect, but the psychic stuff and the Dune-lite "magic drug" plot don't do it for me. And all the villains are the moustache-twirlingest.

I'm really sick of telepathy and its ilk popping up in my science fiction.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Haikasoru/status/696827153090895872

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Should I care about this book?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

Should I care about this book?

It's a good anime of its type, but that's given the dearth of good space opera animes that don't focus on chopping people up with laser swords the size of a small cluster of stars being wielded by a robot kitted out in bikini armor.

I don't think the written version is substantially better. I probably wouldn't recommend the book over the anime version.

It's more historically notable than an absolute must of a read. If you're asking abotu it it means you probably didn't pirate parts of it over the years and don't have to karmically redress your behavior by spending money on it legally.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 9, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What's with anime and vaguely germanic names?
Anyhow, I just learned Altered Carbon apparently has two sequels - are they worth anything? From what I've seen of Morgan, I'm mostly assuming AC was a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I like them, but they're a bit different. Broken Angels is about being a disillusioned ideological mercenary and stumbling on world shaking Big Stuff, Woken Furies is about becoming a reillusioned ideolog and applying some of that Big Stuff.