Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

ZiegeDame posted:

Also, what the hell is a handicapped fund, anyway? That's probably Wells' booze money. I mean, alcoholism can be considered a handicap, right?

I think you're meant to assume it's for accessibility upgrades for handicapped people, i.e. widened doorways, wheelchair ramps, technology upgrades to assist deaf or blind students, that sort of thing.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Max continues to be The Best Teenager :allears:. But what's an IEP? It shows up in her file but it's hidden behind the update card. Is that some American thing?

So I had never noticed that before. It turns out IEP stands for Individualized Education Program, and it's how schools assist disabled or special needs students. It looks like any student who ever demonstrates that they may need individualized attention is evaluated in this manner, so who knows why this is on her file. Maybe her inability to socialize was flagged earlier in her life? It could be any number of things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Panzer Skank posted:

So I had never noticed that before. It turns out IEP stands for Individualized Education Program, and it's how schools assist disabled or special needs students. It looks like any student who ever demonstrates that they may need individualized attention is evaluated in this manner, so who knows why this is on her file. Maybe her inability to socialize was flagged earlier in her life? It could be any number of things.

Oh yeah, I had one of those in high school for my ASD. I guess she was under evaluation for something like that or maybe ADHD.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Presumably it's money put aside for handicapped students. I mean there are handicapped parking spaces at Blackwell, (which Chloe parks in - I guess being a dick to the handicapped is in her DNA or something) so there are probably disabled students. Honestly, considering Mr. Prescott is being an rear end in a top hat and withholding funding because his son had to actually face some goddamn consequences for his awful behaviour, I think the school might actually need that money.

And that's something that would be a budget item in a school account. This looks like an envelope you'd stick to a wall asking for donations, only $5000 is a ridiculous amount for cash donations.

quote:

Also Max continues to be The Best Teenager :allears:. But what's an IEP? It shows up in her file but it's hidden behind the update card. Is that some American thing?

Individual Education Plan. Basically for any student that deviates enough in any direction from average mental function that the regular school system can't handle them properly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If you find an envelope labeled "Handicapped Fund" stuffed with high value bills, it's almost definitely not a handicapped fund.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, if it was really a school fund, it would probably be in the school's accounts and not in an envelope in the principal's desk drawer. Even if it was like recent earnings from a charity event that hadn't been deposited yet, it would be with financial and not the principal.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If you find an envelope labeled "Handicapped Fund" stuffed with high value bills, it's almost definitely not a handicapped fund.

Theories...
1. It's bribe money.
2. Wells is blackmailing someone.
3. Wells stole the school's handicapped fund for his own reasons we can't quite figure yet.
4. Wells just legitimately thought the handicapped fund money would be safest in his office.

The extent to which taking the money is wrong depends on which theory is right. I mean, no matter what it's sketchy, but if it's bribe money or blackmail money, there's some moral justification. If it IS from the handicapped fund, whether stolen by Wells or in his desk for safekeeping, it's pretty drat wrong.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If we're just going to steal some pretty freaking dodgy-looking money anyway why the hell don't we just blow the doors off on the way out? It's not like the principal won't notice the money just suddenly not being there?

Although on that note, bloody hell Max; ask Warren, memorise the instructions for an ad hoc bomb and then REWIND TIME to before you asked.

Also... secret probation? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tfK_3XK4CI#t=70

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

namesake posted:

If we're just going to steal some pretty freaking dodgy-looking money anyway why the hell don't we just blow the doors off on the way out? It's not like the principal won't notice the money just suddenly not being there?

If it's dodgy money, you can't call the cops.

If it's legit, there's no evidence of a break-in.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, it's pretty clearly not a handicapped fund. But there's no knowing what it is for right now, or what the consequences will be of taking it, while the benefits are pretty clearly laid out. Maybe it'll alert the school to Max and Chloe's break-in in some way? But then, stealing student files will probably do that too. I don't really see any downsides to taking it right now.

Meanwhile... wow, Nathan's problems run deep. Kid needs a therapist. Although from the drawing, I'm wondering if Rachel hurt him somehow.

ZiegeDame posted:

So it's looking like we can add homophobia to the list of reasons David is a lovely person, from the way he considers any girl that Chloe is close to a bad influence on her. And if we get to the end without the game confirming that Chloe and Rachel's relationship was romantic, I will eat my loving hat.
Yeah, it looks a lot to me like Chloe was in love with Rache, and she's been flirting with Max pretty hard.
Of course, Max can't even tell Warren is into her, so she has her work cut out for her if she wants to take her on a date.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 9, 2016

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly, considering Mr. Prescott is being an rear end in a top hat and withholding funding because his son had to actually face some goddamn consequences for his awful behaviour, I think the school might actually need that money.

I like this reason for leaving the money alone a lot. Voted to leave the money alone.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Max making fun of the hat is clearly just a reference to Catcher In the Rye and not an insult to its owner.

Spicy food such as chili peppers is actually pretty common dieting advice. The idea is that you will eat less if your food is spicy. Not sure if it is a good idea to tell kids they have to eat less instead of telling them to eat better. Or it could be for the vitamin C...

I voted to steal the money because the drunk principal would be the one to take the blame for it being missing and he really needs to get poo poo on. Not just for what we have seen prior to this episode, but we learned that he has known all along that Nathan is not just troubled, but actually gets into trouble. So the principal not taking Max seriously when she accuses Nathan is BS. Plus, it helps Max and Chloe achieve some of their goals.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Stealing the money is a good plan because what's Principal Wells gonna do? Conduct a man hunt for his bribe money? I don't think so. Let's give our dirty money to the dirty man in the RV, get him off our case hopefully and ride off into the sunset with our alright friend Chloe.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Go all the way, nick the cash.

Then spend it on the Scooter Special

..wait...

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Something I just realized is that Max still has that pipebomb in her bag. What is she even going to do with that? She can't just throw it away because that would be far too negligent, and storing it in her bag or room would lead to a lot of trouble if it gets discovered. I'd assume opening it up and pouring the ingredients out somewhere would also be a bad idea. Like, what's she going to do with it? Just detonate it out in the junk yard or something?

Edit: On second thought, did rewinding time remove the pipe bomb from existence since Max no longer had it? Did Max just cause a time paradox? No wonder the town is gonna be destroyed.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Whether or not the handicap fund is legit or not, there is 100% no way that paying the creep off will make him go away forever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Whether or not the handicap fund is legit or not, there is 100% no way that paying the creep off will make him go away forever.
Plus he's likely to get drunk and brag about the money and tell on us. Or something like that.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think the rules demonstrated so far of Max's weird time travel abilities means that the pipe bomb stays having exploded in the alternate timeline, and was not brought to the current timeline. No paradox necessary. Remember, Max car bring items with her between timelines (a fact she all too frequently forgets in moments it would be really helpful :argh:), which also strongly implies that stuff doesn't jump back into her inventory if she uses them and then rewinds.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Max, maybe consider not creating heaps of photographic evidence of you and Chloe tresspassing :shepface:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

CaptianKatsura posted:

Something I just realized is that Max still has that pipebomb in her bag. What is she even going to do with that? She can't just throw it away because that would be far too negligent, and storing it in her bag or room would lead to a lot of trouble if it gets discovered. I'd assume opening it up and pouring the ingredients out somewhere would also be a bad idea. Like, what's she going to do with it? Just detonate it out in the junk yard or something?

Edit: On second thought, did rewinding time remove the pipe bomb from existence since Max no longer had it? Did Max just cause a time paradox? No wonder the town is gonna be destroyed.

If you look up in the corner of the screen she rewound far back enough that it is now just harmless ingredients again. Being that she is a teenager she probably looked briefly around for a trashcan then just sort of dropped them in a corner or behind a shelf while trying to look inconspicuous.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

If you look up in the corner of the screen she rewound far back enough that it is now just harmless ingredients again. Being that she is a teenager she probably looked briefly around for a trashcan then just sort of dropped them in a corner or behind a shelf while trying to look inconspicuous.

Or she's going to use them to make another bomb later.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
If that envelope really holds $5,000 then they've got to be high denomination bills. 50 $100 bills in an envelope is really suspicious, no matter what is written on it...

Something I noticed has changed since I played the game: When Max looks through the contest photos, she originally said that the second photo (the one of the guy at a desk) was Victoria's (and "pretty loving sweet"), and the third photo was described as Daniel's. I guessed at the time that might have been a mix up, and it looks like I was right.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Danaru posted:

Max, maybe consider not creating heaps of photographic evidence of you and Chloe tresspassing :shepface:

I was thinking the same-rear end thing.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I know the skeleton photo is a reference but I can't tell if it is a reference to a painting or a book. Especially with the way the game handles references, the game wouldn't be misplaced referencing an humorist, but the game seems to favor the visual arts more. Or maybe a developer just saw the painting in passing, or on a book shelf, and thought it looked nice, with no further thought.

Mr. Highway fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 11, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Warren don't deserve an A+

If only we could change it to a D
For dunkin that nerd.

And obviously Max is getting photos for plausible deniability. I just tresspassed to get some sweet photos.

Also, he's drunk, so he probably just gonna think he spent it all on booze.

Also, drat it Chloe, shut the computer down after you've finished snooping.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 11, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Warren is the kinda guy whose mom told him he'd be all the mean kids' boss one day.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Waffleman_ posted:

Warren is the kinda guy whose mom told him he'd be all the mean kids' boss one day.

But only if he keeps a perfect score.

That A- will crush him.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Air is lava! posted:

But only if he keeps a perfect score.

That A- will crush him.

Which is why it must stand

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maybe if Warren makes the "Go ape" joke like 17 more times Max will fall in love with him

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Making dumb jokes over and over is how I got my girlfriend so there's precedent

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Chloe is seeming less insufferable and more likeable lately. I'm digging this trend.

There is no way Chloe and Rachel's relationship wasn't romantic.

Bring it on game. The gayer the better.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Good evening! I decided even though it's a day early I wanted to give you a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Let's celebrate Valentine's Day by taking a nice relaxing swim:siren:

Today's poll: closed!

Here are the new journal pages:

The song in this episode is Bright Eyes - Lua [lyrics] And I know you have a heavy heart/I can feel it when we kiss

Also Kaubocks pointed out a fun lil joke you can pull that I'd never seen, so I made a quick bonus vid of it! Max is rude!

Jenner posted:

Bring it on game. The gayer the better.

Hello friend this update is the update for you :)

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 19, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'd appreciate this budding romance a lot more if it wasn't with such an awful person.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
i love this part of the game and I love these gay girls so much

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I'd appreciate this budding romance a lot more if it wasn't with such an awful person.

I agree, Max is the worst.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The lying in bed scene is my favorite scene in this game. It's so relaxed and nostalgic, like just a perfect atmosphere. I had major flashbacks to my high school years from it. Just replace indy folk with black thrash.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

HenryEx posted:

That's an unfair value judgment. Chloe is still a teenager, and has had a rough go of it since her father died and her best friend moved away. She has made some bad choices, but describing her as an awful person is downright mean.

anyway, I'm actually really surprised the game went there, and mostly pleased. People can be like "hey the game didn't set up that Max might be into girls" and I'm sure after the game came out there were those people (and we might even see them in this thread!), but it didn't set up that she was into boys, either.
Something I'm wondering about, though. Was Chloe always in love with Max? If so that might help to explain the changes she went through after Max moved away (along with her father dying and then Step Douche, of course).

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
drat it, Warren, let it go, you nerd.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spatula City posted:

That's an unfair value judgment. Chloe is still a teenager, and has had a rough go of it since her father died and her best friend moved away. She has made some bad choices, but describing her as an awful person is downright mean.

I would honestly argue that one of the main theses of the game is that teenagers are loving lovely and that's just part of being a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.

Kayten posted:

drat it, Warren, let it go, you nerd.

He might as well go out with Brooke at this point since she clearly wants him.

• Locked thread