Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My rant to start the morning: my boss can't get his act together on getting actual offsite backups up and running, and since we almost had a gigantic meltdown recently with drives being shipped off to DR and many tens of thousands paid out to recover them, I told him I would take over this task. Friday I look at what he has set up, and like.....he has this scheduled job that will take a snapshot of the entire Backup Exec server and save it to an external drive connected via USB. He apparently thinks that spinning up a new Backup Exec server and importing the backups will take too much time in the event of an emergency, so he just wants a copy of the entire loving server. Uh. Even if that was sane, he's been trying to get this job to run for weeks now and it keeps failing and he can't figure out why. I look at it for about 5min and see it's because he's running out of disk space. I let him know this.

This morning he comes in to me and says hey sirotan I found out why the backup isn't finishing! It's running out of disk space! omfg :ughh:

I really need to :yotj:. But before I do, my boss wants me to set up a calendar for IT tasks, for all the poo poo that should be automated but isn't (its a lot :( ). I was hoping to just create a shared calendar with reminders that the entire team would see, but Outlook won't support that. Then I thought I'd I set up some kind of automatic ticket generation. Unfortunately our ticketing system (KACE, lol) does not support that, and while I could set up automated emails to send into the ticketing system to do this, Outlook also does not support scheduling emails in a way that would really be feasible (ie a way I could get the rest of my team to bother to contribute to effortlessly).

Soooo, what do you guys use? This is for poo poo like server reboot schedules, backup schedules for stuff that isn't automated, certain monitoring tasks, a reminder to my future self that they need to update the door controller holiday schedule after New Years 2019! I want something that the whole team would see so that someone will be forced to take ownership of the task. Maybe something that can automate emails would be the easiest thing, since it will integrate with KACE. I realize this is just a dumb bandaid for a better monitoring system and other best practices but baby steps is about all I can manage at this point.

Did I mention I need to :yotj:? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Why won't Outlook support a shared calendar for ypu? One of my teams has a shared inbox, which has its own calendar which they can all see. I'll grant they can only view it side-by-side, and not merged (unless their mobile supports merged calendars ).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ynglaur posted:

Why won't Outlook support a shared calendar for ypu? One of my teams has a shared inbox, which has its own calendar which they can all see. I'll grant they can only view it side-by-side, and not merged (unless their mobile supports merged calendars ).

It will but you can't use reminders in a shared calendar. Honestly that would work fine for me but with the shared calendar I have no way to confirm someone has seen the task or bothered to take ownership of it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sirotan posted:

It will but you can't use reminders in a shared calendar. Honestly that would work fine for me but with the shared calendar I have no way to confirm someone has seen the task or bothered to take ownership of it.

Maybe send recurring tasks to a distribution list? Not really a proper substitute for a real work intake and scheduling system...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ynglaur posted:

Maybe send recurring tasks to a distribution list? Not really a proper substitute for a real work intake and scheduling system...

Will that generate an email I could customize? I guess I've never used the tasks feature in Outlook.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Will that generate an email I could customize? I guess I've never used the tasks feature in Outlook.

I believe you can include a body of text and attachments. The task name is similar to subject line. I don't know if anyone other than the sender can see if anyone else has completed the task, which may limit its usefulness.

Is something like Jira an option? I know it calls everything an "Issue", but different Issue Types can have their own workflows, etc. I've heard good things about Trello as well, though I haven't used it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sirotan: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/357288-how-do-i-enable-reminders-from-a-shared-calendar-in-outlook-2010

Is this what you're looking for? I could have overlooked something, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I was expecting to get an email with confirmation of my new network operator job and the details regarding it.... and instead it turns up in the mail. Two copies, asking me to sign and return one. I call my new boss asking if scanning and emailing them's okay, and his reply is basically "it would be if it was to him, but the CEO wants paper copies", so now I gotta mail it back :psyduck:. This is a tech company.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I was expecting to get an email with confirmation of my new network operator job and the details regarding it.... and instead it turns up in the mail. Two copies, asking me to sign and return one. I call my new boss asking if scanning and emailing them's okay, and his reply is basically "it would be if it was to him, but the CEO wants paper copies", so now I gotta mail it back :psyduck:. This is a tech company.

Are you in Europe? Electronic signature is not considered a binding contract in some countries.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ynglaur posted:

Are you in Europe? Electronic signature is not considered a binding contract in some countries.

Australia. My last job was at a major national company and they used DocuSign.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sirotan posted:

*my boss is an idiot*

Did I mention I need to :yotj:? :(

Just use Excel. You know he'll want to see it in Excel. Don't fight it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo that pisses me off: Office chairs.

I've always had a bad back, but it's got progressively worse, to the point that sitting in our standard office chairs hurts p much constantly. Local facilities manager arranged a chair with "lumbar support" (the same as the standard chair but with an inflatable thing in the small of the back). It did gently caress-all. He refuses to get anything else without a referral from central occupational health. Occupational health say "we don't do back pain, your local facilities manager can arrange a new chair."

So now I get to play Catch-22 in the hopes of getting something that isn't a £30 piece of poo poo and maybe not being in pain when I'm in the office. Tempted to just buy a decent chair off eBay and give my boss the bill.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Check craigslist and see if there is anyone who sells used Aerons or Steelcase chairs. I got a rebuilt Steelcase Leap for $200 that has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
youre talking long term issues just buy yourself a loving chair man

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Check craigslist and see if there is anyone who sells used Aerons or Steelcase chairs. I got a rebuilt Steelcase Leap for $200 that has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.
This. I mean, check the chair thread and all, but a used Steelcase Leap was definitely the sweet spot when I was shopping for something nice in the $200 range.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've a couple on my eBay watch list — I'm in the UK, only hookers use Craigslist — but ultimately it's my employer's duty to provide a workplace that doesn't put me in pain, and I'm not about to spend my own money on something to fix their fuckup. Co-workers don't have to pay out-of-pocket for ergonomic keyboards or office heaters, after all. Same thing, different bit of office furniture, just departmental Catch-22.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DigitalRaven posted:

Co-workers don't have to pay out-of-pocket for...office heaters, after all.

:stare:

I don't know if that's just USvsUK or what, but I just think of the breakers I've had to reset because an entire department was too cold.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
AT this point, i'd just set up a group calendar, and whomever does the task can annotate it.

And :toot: ASAP.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Newegg is claiming the switch we sent back in for a return isnt the one they sent us because the serial number on the box doesnt match the serial number on the device.

1. No poo poo. You sent us the wrong switch from what we ordered.
2. You sent me one box, which I sent back to you.

If they switched their inventory it's not on me to fix. And yet I've gotten to spend the last two hours on the phone going back and forth with these people.

I guess I've lucked out then - I actually (stupidly) bought an open box item, I believe it was a 650W power supply because I had an old one die on me. Got the box and supply...and some rear end in a top hat had bought the supply I wanted, swapped it out for some janky no-name unit that probably came from an off-the-shelf shitbox OEM tower, then returned it. I just sent it back for a refund and bought a new unit instead, I'm sure plenty of folks have had luck with open box items but it amazes me that seemingly nobody checks the items when they're shipped back and tossed into used/open box inventory.

I still buy from them because they've never given me trouble but agree that it's irritating that they moved from tech-only stuff to having their own outlet or having other sellers who gouge the poo poo out of customers. Case in point, they had some 120mm fans I was looking for to mount to my CLC radiator that were something absurd like $30 a piece. Went to Amazon and found the same exact fans for less than $10 a piece, brand new. Not Newegg's fault but it sucks having to sort through that crap to find good deals.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ozz81 posted:

I guess I've lucked out then - I actually (stupidly) bought an open box item, I believe it was a 650W power supply because I had an old one die on me. Got the box and supply...and some rear end in a top hat had bought the supply I wanted, swapped it out for some janky no-name unit that probably came from an off-the-shelf shitbox OEM tower, then returned it. I just sent it back for a refund and bought a new unit instead, I'm sure plenty of folks have had luck with open box items but it amazes me that seemingly nobody checks the items when they're shipped back and tossed into used/open box inventory.

I'm pretty sure customers looking for deals are NewEgg's QA process.

Comes back once, re-sell it open box. Comes back again, it must be broke.

I had the same problems with them when buying some open box motherboards. Didn't work, sent them back. NewEgg fought me on the return because it was open or was missing parts. No poo poo, that's what the open-box description said when I bought it. poo poo's broke give me my $89.99 back.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ozz81 posted:

I still buy from them because they've never given me trouble but agree that it's irritating that they moved from tech-only stuff to having their own outlet or having other sellers who gouge the poo poo out of customers. Case in point, they had some 120mm fans I was looking for to mount to my CLC radiator that were something absurd like $30 a piece. Went to Amazon and found the same exact fans for less than $10 a piece, brand new. Not Newegg's fault but it sucks having to sort through that crap to find good deals.
Here you go: http://www.pcpartpicker.com/

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

DigitalRaven posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Office chairs.

I've always had a bad back, but it's got progressively worse, to the point that sitting in our standard office chairs hurts p much constantly. Local facilities manager arranged a chair with "lumbar support" (the same as the standard chair but with an inflatable thing in the small of the back). It did gently caress-all. He refuses to get anything else without a referral from central occupational health. Occupational health say "we don't do back pain, your local facilities manager can arrange a new chair."

So now I get to play Catch-22 in the hopes of getting something that isn't a £30 piece of poo poo and maybe not being in pain when I'm in the office. Tempted to just buy a decent chair off eBay and give my boss the bill.

Guessing UK, but; sorry, Occupational Health do "do" back pain. You just ran into a lazy OccHealth person.

I have a lovely back because I'm lazy and I have terrible posture. When I started my latest job about 3 years ago, the chairs were okay and I wasn't in any bother. Then our teams locations got consolidated and we got moved to a refurbished location with these generic chairs that offered no support. Like yourself, we got offered a lumber support, which made it worse for me, and I struggled to work. Fired off an email to the distribution list, some one came round, asked me questions and then I had an appointment from a person from Posturite. Few more questions, and then I got this really amazing chair with enough levers and twists to launch you into space, but also the added bonus of no back pain.

Where I work there is a central health budget, that only partially recharges costs to departments, however you might be in a position where its entirely on your department to pay and people just wont because budgets.

Seriously though, don't pay for your own chair, get your company to support you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ozz81 posted:

Was trying to buy some LED lights awhile back at Lowes and all of the good ones had been replaced with no-name lovely ones. The Lowes person was not amused.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lynxifer posted:

Guessing UK, but; sorry, Occupational Health do "do" back pain. You just ran into a lazy OccHealth person.

Both sides are lazy, is the problem. Facilities manager neither changed our office door lock nor collected the keys from the previous occupants after we moved in; it took three years badgering him before that changed. Occy Health, on the other hand, play "do the online posture training and risk assessment thing that takes five hours because it's full of lovely animations and achingly slow scrolling, then we'll tell you it's up to local Facilities" game.

Technical thing posting me off: our deploy cycle takes about two hours. I'm putting together a small webapp for the team; more and more of what we do above and beyond the day-to-day sysadmin stuff is rewriting a bunch of ancient software that's written in the kind of Perl someone writes when they've discovered some neat shortcuts/working line noise but haven't realised that readable code is a good thing.

It takes two hours from building RPMs to getting it available, with a bunch of non-automatable manual steps that kick in every 10-15 minutes — just frequently enough to steal focus from what I'm doing. It's the same process we go through to deploy Matlab or StarCCM or other giant monstrosities of software, which is fine because we build those once every couple of years. Not so web apps, obviously. It takes ten minutes to fix a bug, but then two hours attending to this manual process, then ten minutes fixing the new round of bugs.

I would love for someone else here to have even heard of continuous integration, and would commit GBH to get Jenkins up and running.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If your chair is loving with your back and nobody at work seems to take it seriously then buy a nice chair for your house and explain that you're going to have to work from home for medical reasons. If you gently caress your back up then it's never really going to fix itself.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
What in the almighty gently caress is going on? I changed all subjobs in an SQL maintenance plan to point at a new drive I mounted specifically to house backups and put on a different backup chain in ShadowProtect. All subjob configs are, indeed, pointed at the drive mentioned. However, on daily execution they are still backing up to the old location.

What did I forget to do that is causing this wizardry?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I found a RAID5 array made up of 12x 6TB SATA disks.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope they have the RAID adapter's rebuild priority set to OH SWEET JESUS GOD PLEASE HURRY.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Thanks Ants posted:

:stonklol:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Outing myself as a RAID idiot, but what's crazy about this? :ohdear:

Is it just the sheer volume of data that'll be inaccessible in the event of a disk failure until it's replaced?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Outing myself as a RAID idiot, but what's crazy about this? :ohdear:

Is it just the sheer volume of data that'll be inaccessible in the event of a disk failure until it's replaced?

RAID idiot here as well, but I believe the horror is from the fact that if another drive dies while rebuilding, the whole thing goes.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Llab posted:

RAID idiot here as well, but I believe the horror is from the fact that if another drive dies while rebuilding, the whole thing goes.

This would be especially a problem on 6TB drives as the rebuild time on a raid 5 array is particularly high, and the chances of a second failure go up during rebuild. The bigger the disk, the longer the rebuild, the bigger the chances for failure. You'd want at least a raid 6 for disks this large. Really a 6 for anything over 2TB in size would be best. This 12x6TB is a time bomb waiting to go off.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Llab posted:

RAID6 has a fault tolerance of 2 drive failures, but that's the gist and it's going to take for loving ever to rebuild.

EDIT: Whoops I transposed a 6 in there.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Don't think of a RAID array as the more disks you put in, the better protected you are against drive failure. Instead, the more disks you put into the array, the more chances you have for one of those disks to go bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aunt Beth posted:

I hope they have the RAID adapter's rebuild priority set to OH SWEET JESUS GOD PLEASE HURRY.

It's not a time thing, it's a probability thing. With that density, it is very probable to have an unrecoverable read error on at least one sector during the rebuild. If could take 30 days or 5 minutes, it doesn't matter. The math doesn't work out in favor of a successful rebuild

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In practice it doesn't seem to be all that big a risk, we buy nexsan's high density stuff like it's going out of style and haven't lost a raid to drive failure in ~10 years. Couple losses from operator error though. :v:

We did switch to raid 6 once drives got over 2tb, but there was no data protection motivation to it. We just had so much drat disk space it became "hell, why not?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DigitalRaven posted:

Both sides are lazy, is the problem. Facilities manager neither changed our office door lock nor collected the keys from the previous occupants after we moved in; it took three years badgering him before that changed. Occy Health, on the other hand, play "do the online posture training and risk assessment thing that takes five hours because it's full of lovely animations and achingly slow scrolling, then we'll tell you it's up to local Facilities" game.

Technical thing posting me off: our deploy cycle takes about two hours. I'm putting together a small webapp for the team; more and more of what we do above and beyond the day-to-day sysadmin stuff is rewriting a bunch of ancient software that's written in the kind of Perl someone writes when they've discovered some neat shortcuts/working line noise but haven't realised that readable code is a good thing.

It takes two hours from building RPMs to getting it available, with a bunch of non-automatable manual steps that kick in every 10-15 minutes — just frequently enough to steal focus from what I'm doing. It's the same process we go through to deploy Matlab or StarCCM or other giant monstrosities of software, which is fine because we build those once every couple of years. Not so web apps, obviously. It takes ten minutes to fix a bug, but then two hours attending to this manual process, then ten minutes fixing the new round of bugs.

I would love for someone else here to have even heard of continuous integration, and would commit GBH to get Jenkins up and running.

I don't know about UK laws obviously, but in America if you composed an email to both occupational health and the facilities manager casually dropping the legal terms (whatever the health version of "hostile workplace" is) you'd probably see a response. And since you're in the UK you probably wouldn't be fired for it, either.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

bull3964 posted:

It's not a time thing, it's a probability thing. With that density, it is very probable to have an unrecoverable read error on at least one sector during the rebuild. If could take 30 days or 5 minutes, it doesn't matter. The math doesn't work out in favor of a successful rebuild

Well, it's both. If you lose a second disk during the rebuild, EVERYTHING is pretty much gone. A (single) unrecoverable sector could be worked around. It's a disaster waiting to happen either way.

xzzy posted:

In practice it doesn't seem to be all that big a risk, we buy nexsan's high density stuff like it's going out of style and haven't lost a raid to drive failure in ~10 years. Couple losses from operator error though. :v:

We did switch to raid 6 once drives got over 2tb, but there was no data protection motivation to it. We just had so much drat disk space it became "hell, why not?"

When you do, I sure hope you have backups and a spare 12x6tb array ready to restore to. Still going to take you days to fill it back up. Someone will certainly be fired.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, 12. Try 60. :buddy:

(everything unproducible is on tape, spinning disk is just cache for faster access)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Pfft, 12. Try 60. :buddy:

(everything unproducible is on tape, spinning disk is just cache for faster access)

That sounds insane. Backblaze only does 3 mirrors by 15xZ arrays (I think). Is this just a backup array that is barely referred to?