Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

CRTs can be flatscreen, you mean flatpanel. :eng101:

I know you know this, but I'm allowed to sperg since I used to work at an electronics store.

hahaha god dang it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Shot in the dark, Trinitron? I love those TVs. When I worked for a TV delivery company so many people were throwing them out because they were too heavy to do anything with, but they are awesome TVs.

Yep, the Wega XBR, it was like looking through a window sometimes. Haven't seen anything close besides maybe the OLED tv's but they're way too expensive.

I loved it but it was just too small for the living room and too big and heavy for anywhere else. I put it on CL so hopefully a gamer will keep it going or something, I'd hate to trash it.

Tusen Takk posted:

what kind of cables are you using to plug into it? have you ordered the HD cable package? I had the same issue when I first switched to a flatscreen from a CRT and then I realised its because my channels were still in standard definition, not HD, so everything looked like poo poo comparitively

i only use my CRT for my old consoles now

Yeah I'm using HDMI and I've had premium HD for awhile now. I set it up to the best possible parameters via rtings.com and it helped, but it still falls short. I know I'll get used to it so no biggie, the size trumps that worry.......Watched Jurassic Park on it and it was amazing :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I still remember the first time I saw a high def TV, just like I'm sure my parents could tell me the first time they saw a TV show in color.

It was a Sabres hockey game, and I instantly noticed how clear all the empty seats were. :v:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
We clearly live in the worse future, because SEDs and FEDs (essentially alternative CRT replacement technologies that got significantly beaten to the punch by TFTs but had major advantages) never got commercialized.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The arcade geek in me sympathizes. Also I wish the blue OLED degradation wasn't a thing so OLEDs could take over the planet, but alas.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have one of the very last of the Sony Trinitron (I think) rear projection CRT TV's. It's friggen huge and heavy as hell. It has the floor stand built in, 54". It's only 720p, which was the best there was at the time without spending ridiculous money.

Not looking forward to either the day it dies finally, or I have to move.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Nothing tastes better than free beer in a suite at the joe Louis arena watching the wings win a game on a Monday night. In the morning I will remember why I don't usually get drunk on a Monday night.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Woah another michigoon in AI

That game was incredible and it's nice to see the wings killing it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So, you Michiganders gettin' in all the buttsex you can while it's still legal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

So, you Michiganders gettin' in all the buttsex you can while it's still legal?

It's pretty clear that the lawmakers in Michigan think that gay men can only have sex via butt penetration.

So I tried to buy a 1990 Festiva L today. Dude saw one of my posts in a FB group and hit me up. 140K miles, 5 speed, no visible rust (so he said, no pictures). He offered it up for $400 but I could not make the 90 minute drive today and he got super lovely when I asked him to meet me Thursday and would it be possible for him to meet me like halfway? He shot a bunch of profanity at me and hasn't responded since.

I just want CHEAP car you guys.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Aren't you out of space for cars?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Aren't you out of space for cars?

Like that's ever stopped me before.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
So the EPA are trying to make it illegal to turn road cars into racecars, and ban the sales of any product that is installed on a road car for track use only.

They've also hidden this legislation inside new lower emissions limits for commercial vehicles that have no basis in reality beyond "WE MADE THE NUMBERS SMALLER"

gently caress the EPA, man.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

literally a fish posted:

So the EPA are trying to make it illegal to turn road cars into racecars, and ban the sales of any product that is installed on a road car for track use only.

They've also hidden this legislation inside new lower emissions limits for commercial vehicles that have no basis in reality beyond "WE MADE THE NUMBERS SMALLER"

Says sema.
I'd like to see an impartial look before I believe this is more an attempt to deal with the "this catless downpipe is for off-road purposes only" *installs on plated car that drives away from shop*

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Says sema.
I'd like to see an impartial look before I believe this is more an attempt to deal with the "this catless downpipe is for off-road purposes only" *installs on plated car that drives away from shop*

C'mon, man, let us smog-exempt guys have our fun. :(

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
All of those laws should die, people driving performance cars like that aren't a meaningful part of the pollution going into the sky. Get rid of CARB stuff, too.

No I'm not a bitter Californian at all.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

How much power do you lose from a cat anyways? I prefer cats just because without them I always feel like I stink as bad as my car

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

How much power do you lose from a cat anyways? I prefer cats just because without them I always feel like I stink as bad as my car

None with a hi-flo cat. They're just expensive, and they don't work properly in cars that aren't tuned to make them work, so why have it there at all? (cat doesn't work if there's zero oxygen in the exhaust)

nm posted:

Says sema.

Alrighty! According to a random new site, "The ban is included in a single paragraph of the agency’s 629-page proposal to set 2021-2027 medium- and heavy-vehicle greenhouse gas targets. It was published in the Federal Register in July."

Lets go digging! Here's the 629 page PDF, if you wanna dig through it, though I just did that for you.

Relevant section:

That PDF I Just Linked, Page 584 posted:

Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines; anyone modifying a certified motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine for any reason is subject to the tampering and defeat device prohibitions of 40 CFR 1068.101(b) and 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3).

Pretty clear cut, I'd say.

E: Oh, and here's 40 CFR 1068.101(b);

It's That PDF Again, You Know, The EPA One posted:

(b) The following prohibitions apply to everyone with respect to the engines and equipment to which this part applies:
(1) Tampering.
You may not remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in engines/equipment in compliance with the regulations prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.
You also may not knowingly remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.
[snipped some stuff about it being an offense to use a diesel without any AdBlue in]
For a manufacturer or dealer, we may assess a civil penalty up to $37,500 for each engine or piece of equipment in violation. For anyone else, we may assess a civil penalty up to $3,750 for each engine or piece of equipment in violation.
[snipped out an exception for temporary repairs]
(2) Defeat devices.
You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or install, any component that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of emissions of any regulated pollutant, except as explicitly allowed by the standard-setting part. We may assess a civil penalty up to $3,750 for each component in violation.

So yeah. Make any changes at all to the engine or emissions system on any EPA-certified vehicle, get fined up to $3750 per component you modified.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 9, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, does this mean that my '73 bus that passes state emissions (but has had the intake modified by the PO) is no longer legal and needs original equipment?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The second part already is law, right? I get the impression that modifying or removing emissions equipment was already illegal, and I don't know if there was an exception for racing.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 9, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
It's not a law yet, Geirskogul. It's just a proposed law. Even if it goes into effect unchanged it won't actually take effect until 2021.

Jamal: That second part is already a law, but right now it only applies to engines used on the road. The first bit (sneakily hidden in a light duty vehicles section of a regulation that supposedly only affects medium and heavy duty vehicles) would make it apply to all engines that have ever been emissions certified.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

jamal posted:

I thought laws against modifying or removing emissions equipment already exist.

Only in certain states, yeah? From what I gather, the '73 bus had an air pump and a single intake to dual carbs, but they were both crap and are NLA.

I mean, in some states, all you need is a VIN plate and a vaguely-car-shaped lump to register. This is federal, though, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Federal law, unfortunately. Not that the feds seem to be enforcing it upon individual owners unless you import something around the 25-year rule - I think these laws are more aimed at stopping the sale of parts.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

Federal law, unfortunately. Not that the feds seem to be enforcing it upon individual owners unless you import something around the 25-year rule - I think these laws are more aimed at stopping the sale of parts.

Correct, and this regulation would result in it becoming a federal crime to sell basically any performance part for a car that currently comes with a "TRACK USE ONLY" disclaimer.

It could even be interpreted to make adjustable coilovers illegal, for example.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It seems like it is an attempt to stop the "FOR OFF ROAD OR RACE USE ONLY" type sales you see on stuff like non-emissions compliant tunes, catless downpipes and the like. Somehow I don't think you're going to see EPA goons showing up at your next autocross meet checking to make sure all the miatas are running all CERTIFIED EQUIPMENT~. (And its not like parts companys are going to sit on their thumbs while this goes through without throwing some kind of bitch fit.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

it's more of this poo poo where they go "flush your toilets only when you poop to save water!! stay inside with the ac on so you dont sweat as much and stay hydrated longer!! do ur part ^_^" while water bottling plants are draining the loving aquifer from indian reservation territory

they're coming down on everyday people who are a very small part of the problem while the big offenders (in this case coal plants, cargo ships outside us water running on tar, industrial polluters) go basically unchecked aside from piddling energy conservation measures

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
The fact that it's buried deep inside a completely unrelated slab of regulations shows that they know it's utter tripe.

Enourmo posted:

it's more of this poo poo where they go "flush your toilets only when you poop to save water!! stay inside with the ac on so you dont sweat as much and stay hydrated longer!! do ur part ^_^" while water bottling plants are draining the loving aquifer from indian reservation territory

I don't know if this is true in the US, but I know in Victoria residential water usage makes up 6-8% of overall water usage. But were there any restrictions placed on commercial water usage during our recent supposed "drought?" Course not. (well, there were some, but they came long after we were told we weren't allowed to keep our lawn and garden alive or even rinse off our cars with a hose after washing them)

As you said, it's the same poo poo here. I read an ESPN UK F1 article a while back that said the emissions from a Formula One car during a race are under a thousandth of the emissions released by the trucks that brought the team/cars to the track; and that was back before they had turbochargers and fuel flow limits.

It's such bullshit that consumers deal with the most bullshit when they make up single-digit percentages of the problem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Decently busy for a Monday. Not super busy, but not slow either. But one thing really caught me off guard...

every. single. order. was from On The Border - and as you can see, 3 of them at once at one point. Not the same location for every order I had tonight - split between two of them. But it got me hungry enough that I wound up going to On The Border after work to have dinner. :argh:

leica posted:

Yep, the Wega XBR, it was like looking through a window sometimes. Haven't seen anything close besides maybe the OLED tv's but they're way too expensive.

Yeah I'm using HDMI and I've had premium HD for awhile now. I set it up to the best possible parameters via rtings.com and it helped, but it still falls short. I know I'll get used to it so no biggie, the size trumps that worry.......Watched Jurassic Park on it and it was amazing :v:

Who is your TV provider? A lot of them compress the poo poo out of most channels, to the point that they actually look worse on a 1080p TV. U-Verse in particular is horrible about this.

What kinda TV did you get anyway? I'm going to be looking to get something a lot bigger sometime this year.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
In laws are killing me.

No, I don't want to say grace. I want to eat. If god is real I'm sure saying a prayer before I eat won't change things.

All while talking about how their pastor just got found out to be having an affair, along with other church drama.

But you're a horrible sinner if you're not going. Plus my cat Bowie got made fun of because he's male and has a pink collar (it's all he'll loving wear, plus he's a runt and named after David Bowie what the gently caress do you think he'd have?).

Maybe I drank too much tonight. They're not BAD, just very loving different from how we actually live.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I binged on 4k YouTube nature documentaries when I bought my new tv, the difference with good source was incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any wheel painting tips? I'm tired of plast-dipping my wheels every year and the white dip is a bitch to keep clean. I'd rather have something I can just hose off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

leica posted:

Just recently went from a 34" CRT tv to a 60" LED, and although the size difference is awesome, the picture quality is not even close to the CRT :(

The thing about LCD tvs is they NEED to be running a high def picture in order to look half as good as a CRT. When the first bunch of LCD was making it to market I worked for a lifestyle AV company and as people bought up LCD and the big CRTs got sold on to others for pennies I'd always be blown away by the quality of image on the CRT. Every time.

I want to put it down to the fact that LCDs are back/side lit making the image appear a little flat. And this is why when I upgraded to HD I waited a good long time and then went and got me a plasma that could do black as well as pop colours off the screen. There's something to be said about a picture technology that uses over 6 million individual pockets of gas exploding to create an image.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Any wheel painting tips? I'm tired of plast-dipping my wheels every year and the white dip is a bitch to keep clean. I'd rather have something I can just hose off.

Make sure you get all the road grime off before painting and make sure you have a good clearcoat. There is wheel specific paint out there from at least VHT, duplicolor and probably others.

EDIT: Duplicolor's white is # HWP100

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 9, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's a 32" Triniton listed on Craigslist. In the free section.

It's 15 minutes away and on the curb. It's kind of tempting. Except I don't have a crane to lift it...

e: woooo, massive packet loss that's making my internet almost unusable, TV is unwatchable because it keeps pixelating, and the home phone can't be used to call Time Warner poo poo to bitch (or, well, to call anyone, since it's through TWC - only has a dialtone sometimes, and when you try to make a call it just goes silent). :bravo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 9, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

iwentdoodie posted:

In laws are killing me.

No, I don't want to say grace. I want to eat. If god is real I'm sure saying a prayer before I eat won't change things.

All while talking about how their pastor just got found out to be having an affair, along with other church drama.

But you're a horrible sinner if you're not going. Plus my cat Bowie got made fun of because he's male and has a pink collar (it's all he'll loving wear, plus he's a runt and named after David Bowie what the gently caress do you think he'd have?).

Maybe I drank too much tonight. They're not BAD, just very loving different from how we actually live.

Mine just call us. Constantly. Every. loving. Day.

Or they do poo poo like send us text messages at 6 loving 30 am on a sunday morning to tell us that its "Raining in Canberra"

Canberra is 1200kms away from where we live, outside of Adelaide. I dont really give a flying gently caress whether its raining in canberra or not at 6:30am on a loving sunday morning.

And they're looking at moving over here when they retire later in the year. loving Hooooray.... They havent quite worked out that their daughter moved half a CONTINENT away from them for a reason, but nooo they have to come move over here to annoy us some more...

I told them if they moved within a 45 min drive of my house, i was burning their house down.

Again, they honestly aren't bad people, they just. don't. get. it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

literally a fish posted:

What a load of poo poo, can't say it's too surprising though :argh:

Have a goon coming to look at the WR250x Wednesday but keep getting texts about it. Best one so far:
:downs: I'll give you 3k for the WR
I just ignore him, ~6 hours later
:downs: Whats bottom dollar on WR
:clint: I have someone looking at it Thursday, they've offered 3600 (BS as goon price is 3500 but whatever)
:downs: I'll give you 3600 tonight
:clint: Told him I'd hold it until Thursday, I'll let you know if he passes
:downs: Get hosed
:clint: ???

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

What a load of poo poo, can't say it's too surprising though :argh:

Have a goon coming to look at the WR250x Wednesday but keep getting texts about it. Best one so far:
:downs: I'll give you 3k for the WR
I just ignore him, ~6 hours later
:downs: Whats bottom dollar on WR
:clint: I have someone looking at it Thursday, they've offered 3600 (BS as goon price is 3500 but whatever)
:downs: I'll give you 3600 tonight
:clint: Told him I'd hold it until Thursday, I'll let you know if he passes
:downs: Get hosed
:clint: ???

Every bike I sell I get at least one of these conversations. They sometimes get rude though I've never been told to get hosed. The term "bottom dollar" is always used which makes me think it is scammers or a flipper throwing out his net. They will never make an offer to begin negotiations, they just want you to lowball yourself. It is best to just ignore them from the start, they won't buy unless you sell at half price.

Why are you selling the WR250X?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
DID U HEAR THAT THE EPA IS BANNING RACE CARS?

DON'T (PUT NON-STREET LEGAL) TREAD(S) ON ME, BRO

Also, I can't remember a single thing that the government has ever done for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wake County Educational Supervisor
Trump/White-Hot-Supernova-of-Energy 2016
Confidentiality:
The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
personal and confidential use of the designated recipients of the email. This message
may be an attorney-client communication and, as such, is privileged and confidential. If
you are not an intended recipient of this message or an agent responsible for delivering
it to an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message
in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all
copies and notify us immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone ((808)546-5200)

Don't save a tree: print this email out!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gorson posted:

Every bike I sell I get at least one of these conversations. They sometimes get rude though I've never been told to get hosed. The term "bottom dollar" is always used which makes me think it is scammers or a flipper throwing out his net. They will never make an offer to begin negotiations, they just want you to lowball yourself. It is best to just ignore them from the start, they won't buy unless you sell at half price.

Why are you selling the WR250X?
Yeah I usually just ignore anything that's a low ball or someone asking what bottom dollar is, usually not people I want to deal with anyways. Selling because I just don't ride it at all, under 1500 miles in the past two years. Selling this and the NX125 (still need to list) and won't own a street bike, only the trials and race bike. If I want to ride on the street my friend runs sportbikes4hire.com so I'll just borrow something for a weekend.

In the ongoing but not super serious truck search I've come across a couple Jeep Comanche's and I've always wanted one. I know we have a few Jeep Comanche owners that frequent this thread so anything I should be on the lookout for with these other than the obvious rust? I'd be looking for one with the 4.0L I6 most likely because owning a Jeep without that is pointless and the long wheel base would be kind of nice to have but isn't a major requirement. I'd consider the I4 engine as well I guess. Also I can't find the bed height for a stock Comanche anywhere, I'm guessing it's going to be around 36" being 4x4 but I'm curious.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

DID U HEAR THAT THE EPA IS BANNING RACE CARS?

DON'T (PUT NON-STREET LEGAL) TREAD(S) ON ME, BRO

Also, I can't remember a single thing that the government has ever done for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wake County Educational Supervisor
Trump/White-Hot-Supernova-of-Energy 2016
Confidentiality:
The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the
personal and confidential use of the designated recipients of the email. This message
may be an attorney-client communication and, as such, is privileged and confidential. If
you are not an intended recipient of this message or an agent responsible for delivering
it to an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message
in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all
copies and notify us immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone ((808)546-5200)

Don't save a tree: print this email out!

This is a work of art, God bless

• Locked thread