Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

kirtar posted:

On the legacy character perks why does "unlock HK as a companion" require HK? Is it a purchase after finishing the quests or does it allow you to get it on other characters without redoing them?

The second thing. Do it once and then pay a cool million to unlock him on another character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I've got a GTX 560Ti and I5-2500k which, while respectable, are a bit dated and get a steady 60 fps.

Then you are the only one in the world.

(I've got the exact same CPU as you running at 4Ghz and an HD7950 and I get steady 60 FPS only when solo)

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
For some reason planets like Yawin make me lag and stutter like mad and I have a current gen system. Someone mentioned it had something to do with the nameplate setting that makes them scale size with distance.

It's playable but very noticeable. I just power through it and get off Yawin as fast as I can.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Givin posted:

For some reason planets like Yawin make me lag and stutter like mad and I have a current gen system. Someone mentioned it had something to do with the nameplate setting that makes them scale size with distance.

It's playable but very noticeable. I just power through it and get off Yawin as fast as I can.

Believe me I have tried everything, from the RAM disk to installing DirectX 9 to including select Direct X 9 DLLs in the swtor.exe's directory (this last step was the only one that actually helped a bit, god only knows why). Any kind of group content still runs like poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Alderaan is a lovely, stuttering mess for me. Its almost like this is a BioWare game.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I mean, look at these two screenshots I just captured and tell me what kind of magic do you have to do to have 60 FPS like you claim is possible.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Mr. Neutron posted:

I mean, look at these two screenshots I just captured and tell me what kind of magic do you have to do to have 60 FPS like you claim is possible.

Not using an AMD video card is unfortunately the first step. The engine really seems to heavily favour NVidia performance-wise.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Literally my exact same setup along with 6gb of RAM and a SSD. I don't have it on the highest settings but it's not the lowest either, and I never have issues with FPS in PvP. I don't turn the settings up because it's distracting as hell in both PvP and raiding.

The irony being that the more new and high performance your card, the higher the chance you'll have graphics problems.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Iron Tusk posted:

The irony being that the more new and high performance your card, the higher the chance you'll have graphics problems.

This has not been my experience.

Changing from an AMD to an Nvidia card has made a hyuuuuuuuuge difference in every single game with close to zero problems.

Johnson79
Sep 4, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Not using an AMD video card is unfortunately the first step. The engine really seems to heavily favour NVidia performance-wise.

With the amount of games that are tweaked towards nVidia in the last 5 years, I'm shocked people still buy AMD cards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hallelujah, another amazing thing for crafting being added tomorrow -

quote:

Actually, this is a perfect question. There was a missed note for 4.1 that came up internally today:

Companions are now sorted based on their Influence amount in the Crew Skill window. Your Companion with the highest influence will be at the top, while the one with the least amount of influence will be at the bottom.

Adding it now.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Medullah posted:

Hallelujah, another amazing thing for crafting being added tomorrow -
I am really unreasonably excited for tomorrow's patch for some reason.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Mercurius posted:

I am really unreasonably excited for tomorrow's patch for some reason.

Same, but because you guys get to play with the toys I have made.

I feel like space Santa.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm not looking forward to running around zones scanning for HK parts.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

go3 posted:

so will Courting gifts finally be accepted by people because gently caress storing these things forever

Didn't see anything in the notes :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yessss. I just realize the patch is tomorrow and I don't have any reason to go into the office!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Johnson79 posted:

With the amount of games that are tweaked towards nVidia in the last 5 years, I'm shocked people still buy AMD cards.

Yeah it´s totally AMD´s fault and not Bioware´s that this lovely game doesn´t use more than 30% of the GPU while let´s say Battlefield 4 uses 90%+ and runs smoothly...

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
You bunch of cupcakes are probably going to run out and stack all your poo poo to 9999, eh? loving CUPCAKES. I'm going to keep mine at 99 now and always because that's the way the REAL developers intended it!

On AMD vs. Nvidia, my old Radeon 7970 died the other day, and since I'm planning to build a new rig later this spring I bought a stopgap $65 1GB Nvidia something-or-other. I expected to be able to play SW on "Minecraft mode," with everything looking like poo poo. The 7970 is (I think) 3 years old and was top-of-the-line when I bought it.

This 1GB cheapy Nvidia card outperforms it in every way. I'm actually kind of stunned how good it is and how much better SW looks, and can't wait to see what the card I put in my new machine will be capable of.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Why do they do maintenance on the web servers at the same time as the game servers? I'd like to read the patch notes while it downloads.

Also I imagine people who give a poo poo would chat on the forums while we wait. Part of that community thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

Why do they do maintenance on the web servers at the same time as the game servers? I'd like to read the patch notes while it downloads.

Also I imagine people who give a poo poo would chat on the forums while we wait. Part of that community thing.

Because the official forums would be nothing but people complaining about downtime.

Patch notes just for you -

*edit* formatting looked awful, just go to this Reddit page which has the notes.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 9, 2016

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Actually thinking about picking up a hyper crate for a chance at some of the items in this pack.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Medullah posted:

Because the official forums would be nothing but people complaining about downtime.

Patch notes just for you -

*edit* formatting looked awful, just go to this Reddit page which has the notes.

Thanks, you're a peach!

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Athenry posted:

Actually thinking about picking up a hyper crate for a chance at some of the items in this pack.

Well, with the new one you get a chance at another gamble pack inside the gamble pack! It's gamble packs all the way down.

fake edit: predictions for the GTN price of the new lightsaber? I say 10+ million to start.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Well, with the new one you get a chance at another gamble pack inside the gamble pack! It's gamble packs all the way down.

fake edit: predictions for the GTN price of the new lightsaber? I say 10+ million to start.

Yeah it's gonna be the rare of rare items, guessing 12 million.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

It's amazing the little things about this game that get me excited again. Sorting companions by influence and stacking crafting mats to 9999 are the two things I'm most excited about. They're silly little QoL changes, but I'm actually itching to play again once the servers come up.

This bugs me though:

quote:

All Artifact Quality Artifice Hilts now require Artifact Quality Slicing Materials instead of Artifact Quality Treasure Hunting Materials.

I wonder why they're swapping the required crew skill at this point in the game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

It's amazing the little things about this game that get me excited again. Sorting companions by influence and stacking crafting mats to 9999 are the two things I'm most excited about. They're silly little QoL changes, but I'm actually itching to play again once the servers come up.

This bugs me though:

I wonder why they're swapping the required crew skill at this point in the game.

That actually switched with 4.0. Any of the purple crafted items required slicing mats.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Medullah posted:

That actually switched with 4.0. Any of the purple crafted items required slicing mats.

I see, they're bringing it in line with everything else. That makes sense then. Thanks for the info.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

I see, they're bringing it in line with everything else. That makes sense then. Thanks for the info.

Yeah there were some people that were really salty about it. "I took Artifice, Treasure Hunting and Archaeology to make things, I shouldn't have to buy anything off the GTN!!!"

On the other hand, it kept the value of the blue Grade 8 slicing mats right around 1,000 a unit so slicing maintained profitability even when you didn't crit.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Medullah posted:

On the other hand, it kept the value of the blue Grade 8 slicing mats right around 1,000 a unit so slicing maintained profitability even when you didn't crit.

Now I feel stupid. I never even checked what they were going for. I must have vendor trashed hundreds of those things.

Oh well, I did manage to sell enough adaptive circuitry to afford some Valient Jedi armor. There is a serious lack of good looking jedi robes that don't have hoods.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

One of the new decorations in this pack (no picture yet) is called "arrangement: luxury spa".

I can finally build a world class Sith resort!

Also, there's a commemorative statue of Kaliyo in there :geno:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Definitely picking up a crate (or two) this time and hoping I get the droid pet so some sucker will buy it.

Also I NEED the green monocycle to complete my Men In Black collection. One day, I hope that we get the ability to put our companions on mounts too.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

quote:

Increased the max grass render distance to 200 meters (up from 64).
loving FINALLY... 200 still sucks but at least there might not be that grass-magically-sprouting-at-your-feet effect if you turn the density slider higher than 5. This has bugged me for years!

quote:

All crafted Color Crystals have had their level requirements removed.
Also this!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah it´s totally AMD´s fault and not Bioware´s that this lovely game doesn´t use more than 30% of the GPU while let´s say Battlefield 4 uses 90%+ and runs smoothly...

Isn't that mostly because BF is fairly optimized for parallel processing while the SWTOR engine essentially only uses one thread?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fair warning, the patch appears to be huge and quite time consuming to install. Going on about 45 minutes here.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Iron Tusk posted:

Fair warning, the patch appears to be huge and quite time consuming to install. Going on about 45 minutes here.

Reports are 5 gigs. Ouch.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Iron Tusk posted:

People are reporting it being really slow right now and some getting stuck at 99%. I did it early this morning in about 20 minutes. Size was roughly 4 gigs IIRC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine has moved about 1.5% in an hour.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mines done.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just a reminder to people, if you use bitraider, that if you exit the patcher before it's completed you might need to reset the launcher (like if you hit "play" and it just exits).

You do this by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars-The Old Republic\bitraider (default) and deleting all the files with the .XFR extension.

That will force the launcher to start again and often find missing files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nerd Of Prey posted:

loving FINALLY... 200 still sucks but at least there might not be that grass-magically-sprouting-at-your-feet effect if you turn the density slider higher than 5. This has bugged me for years!

Sometimes it makes me literally dizzy, a little bit. It's such a weird feeling.

• Locked thread