Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If it weren't garbage and we had enough people SoW would do almost exactly that. The writing is a stupid idea (I can't read my own poo poo) but we can just honor system agree to use couriers onlPROBE TO YOUR REAR AND REPORT BACK TO ME

That's exactly why! Imagine being in charge of people in a loving war where the only thing they had to go on was hand written notes they might have trouble reading depending on handwriting.

Also, you can fit a lot less writing out poo poo by hand than you can typing. It totally changes how you write and what info you choose to use, but yeah... I'm totally up to amending that criteria to match the confines of reality--doing it my way would be a big pin in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Unfortunately doing it ANY way is a giant pain in the rear end. Myth: TFL had better loving netcode and UI back in 1996. gently caress it, let's just install the Blue & Grey Soulblighter mod, it'd be a far better experience anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I remember when we did that Scourge of War multiplayer game last year and the only redeeming experience was everyone laughing on mumble about how terrible it was.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

Oh wait, not even a token discount for Germany Reforged DLC. :suicide:

From a few pages back, but it's the bundle of the base game plus the reforged content that is currently on discount. Doesn't help if you've already got the base game, mind.

I look at it, wonder how easy it is to mod in new units and equipment for even alter-alt history shenanigans, and then realise I have a history of buying but not playing games and put my card away.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Nullkigan posted:

I look at it, wonder how easy it is to mod in new units and equipment for even alter-alt history shenanigans, and then realise I have a history of buying but not playing games and put my card away.
Hmm wonder if there are any Cold War games with :tito: units (besides stuff like random TOAW scenarios). You would think there would be more, with the amount of 80s Cold War gone hot scenarios that seem to prophetically start with unrest and superpower intervention in Yugoslavia.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 8, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

I remember when we did that Scourge of War multiplayer game last year and the only redeeming experience was everyone laughing on mumble about how terrible it was.

The only thing really terrible about the game, frame rates aside, is the behavior of the AI. Well that and defeating canister with the road marching formations. Honestly, though it appears to me to be the same game as Take Command with prettier skins.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I uninstalled the game due to the frame-rate issues. Someday when I have a space computer it might get 20 fps.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Hmm wonder if there are any Cold War games with :tito: units (besides stuff like random TOAW scenarios). You would think there would be more, with the amount of 80s Cold War gone hot scenarios that seem to prophetically start with unrest and superpower intervention in Yugoslavia.

Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank has a few premade Yugoslavia scenarios IIRC.

And all the randomly generated scenarios you can handle in case you want to see what you happen if Tanzania invaded Yugoslavia amphibiously

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 9, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I also remember that. This gives me an opportunity to try out the webm embedding for some footage I captured:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Every time SoW comes up someone mentions getting a giant goon game going. I think we should do it. 3 brigades on each side plus artillery/commander, HITS mode and only use mumble for troubleshooting.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank has a few premade Yugoslavia scenarios IIRC.

And all the randomly generated scenarios you can handle in case you want to see what you happen if Tanzania invaded Yugoslavia amphibiously
Ah yes, can't forget that. Too bad nobody wants to play that game. Though having seen how annoying the PBEM is, I'm not too surprised!

Hmm, starting to get the inexplicable urge to buy TOAW and do one of three Yugoslavia mega-scenarios.... :unsmigghh:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Someone in an IRC I'm idling in is linking a lot of girls-as-WWII-things animes. Be glad I'm not sharing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Someone in an IRC I'm idling in is linking a lot of girls-as-WWII-things animes. Be glad I'm not sharing.

You know, that's a really bad threat considering all that would do is get you probated to hell and back :shrug:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hey man, I'm trying to bridge the gap between SA's weeaboos and wereaboos. Can't we call get along?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Hey man, I'm trying to bridge the gap between SA's weeaboos and wereaboos. Can't we call get along?

Wehraboos. A wereaboo would be someone who appears normal, but if you visit them on a full moon there are anime figurines and body pillows everywhere.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for DC:Barbarossa to go on Steam? I'm willing to wait if it's going to be in the near future since I don't have a lot of gaming time right now anyway, but if they're backing away from putting their games on Steam I might have to just go ahead and deal with Matrix again (I thought I was free of them...)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I also remember that. This gives me an opportunity to try out the webm embedding for some footage I captured:

That's... that's a jpeg.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

blackmongoose posted:

Wehraboos. A wereaboo would be someone who appears normal, but if you visit them on a full moon there are anime figurines and body pillows everywhere.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for DC:Barbarossa to go on Steam? I'm willing to wait if it's going to be in the near future since I don't have a lot of gaming time right now anyway, but if they're backing away from putting their games on Steam I might have to just go ahead and deal with Matrix again (I thought I was free of them...)

They had plans to before it came out, I assume they will eventually. When they do you'll be able to use your Matrix/Slitherine key to get a steam key for free.

PleasingFungus posted:

That's... that's a jpeg.

He's making a joke about SoW's framerate.

uPen fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 9, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I finally bit the bullet on flash-point campaigns. The lethality of Cold War combat is loving brutal, I think I managed to lose ~70% of the starting tutorial force as I grappled with learning the controls and pitting 12 Challenger tanks against 40+ T-80s.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

I finally bit the bullet on flash-point campaigns. The lethality of Cold War combat is loving brutal, I think I managed to lose ~70% of the starting tutorial force as I grappled with learning the controls and pitting 12 Challenger tanks against 40+ T-80s.

It's one of the things I really dislike about the game. Pretty much any tank you ever encounter is either a T-64 or a T-80. The more numerous T-72s never feature, let alone something like a T-55 or T-62.

I mean, I get that you are fighting the tip of the spear, edge of the knife formations but come on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In general I think Flashpoint Campaigns has some issues with its OoB's (and with its historical feasibility in general... why they didn't pick Able Archer as the kick-off for WW3, I have no idea). There's also the issue of the Hind being literally crewed by demons in that game.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Drone posted:

In general I think Flashpoint Campaigns has some issues with its OoB's (and with its historical feasibility in general... why they didn't pick Able Archer as the kick-off for WW3, I have no idea). There's also the issue of the Hind being literally crewed by demons in that game.

In my second attempt at the tutorial I convincingly blunted both the Soviet armoured and mechanized infantry battalion with my infantry and armoured company while only losing two tanks in the process.

Then a reinforcement Hind showed up and killed all of my tanks while my lone AD unit shook its fist at it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Hind oddly has the same fire control and targeting stats as the Apache does.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Generation Internet posted:

In my second attempt at the tutorial I convincingly blunted both the Soviet armoured and mechanized infantry battalion with my infantry and armoured company while only losing two tanks in the process.

Then a reinforcement Hind showed up and killed all of my tanks while my lone AD unit shook its fist at it.

Play "Eyes, Ears, and Teeth" next. It's a pretty fantastic scenario. I geeked out about it pretty hardcore the first time I played it. It was a very tense and memorable grog experience.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am reading through the WitP:AE manual and just finished a 20 page section on how to load and unload a ship. So if anyone wants to know how to load or unload a ship please let me know.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what are the penalties associated with unloading a mixed TF of military and civilian transports at a non-base jungle rough hex during a thunderstorm?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

what are the penalties associated with unloading a mixed TF of military and civilian transports at a non-base jungle rough hex during a thunderstorm?

And that's the rub.

20 pages of manual space devoted to how to load and unload TFs and I bet the answer isn't actually there.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all

ZombieLenin posted:

Your absolutely right, which is why it's such a big "if" to learn about Napoleon at all. Before I took AP European history (in 1994) the only thing I remembered about Napoleon was that he was the guy who sold Louisiana to Jefferson to pay for "a war."

And I was one of the kids who paid attention in History class.

There's an interesting text from about a decade ago called History Lessons (by Lindaman and Ward) that contrasts textbooks from different nations and regions. For example, it looks at the Spanish-American War from the perspective of a Cuban textbook, or how something like the Monroe Doctrine or Manifest Destiny looks between Great Britain, Mexico, France, Canada, and Brazil. The format is mostly short summaries of what the textbooks said about a given subject (French and Indian War, Vikings, Columbus, Opening of Japan, ACW, etc.) organized by nation or region, so it's a pretty approachable read.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

It's one of the things I really dislike about the game. Pretty much any tank you ever encounter is either a T-64 or a T-80. The more numerous T-72s never feature, let alone something like a T-55 or T-62.

I mean, I get that you are fighting the tip of the spear, edge of the knife formations but come on.

There were no T-72s in the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany!
:goonsay:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

It is, uh, bad

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Drone posted:

Yeah, I complained about this on the Steam forum awhile ago and got lectured about how terrible NATO SAMs were by a developer. So to a certain extent I agreed, the STINGER system was overrated, but I was talking about literal dedicate SAM systems not man portable SAMs.

I also questioned why there wasn't a single scenario with NATO air superiority, which is what NATO invested in and NATO doctrine relied on, and was told basically that the Russians wold nuke all the airfields making it impossible.

I let it get go, but sort of felt like "nuking airfields" was something NATO strategic plans called for, and air redundancy would have meant their were enough planes that HINDS couldn't spend all day over the battlefield unchallenged while NATO couldn't manage so much as one Apache or one A-10.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great fun game, but there are a lot of head scratchers design wise.

Edit

So I don't know if they've changed anything (they were talking about it), but my biggest complaint mechanic wise was the absolute inability of any forces to withdrawal when under fire--even when you screen with smoke.

I understand, breaking contact with the enemy in an orderly way is hard, but gently caress. Tanks were incapable of hitting reverse and backing over the lip of a hill.

This made recon a one shot thing. You'd spot the enemy, they'd start shooting you, you'd order a withdrawal, and the recon unit would just sit there for however long it took to die.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 9, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just as there is such a thing as the wehraboo, so too is there a.... redarmyboo? Proletaraboo?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

It's a non-base hex, sure, but is it at least a dot hex?

This is important.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

This is kind of random but i'm trying to ID a WW1 Italian artillery fort I visited last year. I cant for the life of me remeber the name of the place and I didnt note it at the time. Also there was a bear that must have wandered over from Slovenia so we were slightly distracted.

I have the location but not the name and I dont know enough Italian to really search for it. Anybody know any resources to look in?

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 9, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Fort of Mt. Festa? That's the closest I've gotten to it.

http://www.itinerarigrandeguerra.co...ydEluZGV4PTA%3D

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thats it! Thanks! Man it looks different in summer.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 9, 2016

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

Just as there is such a thing as the wehraboo, so too is there a.... redarmyboo? Proletaraboo?

Fellow traveler.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Will flashpoint run on an overglorified netbook with a corei5 and intel integrated graphics? Is anyone running theirs on a lovely laptop and not a proper desktop?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Will flashpoint run on an overglorified netbook with a corei5 and intel integrated graphics? Is anyone running theirs on a lovely laptop and not a proper desktop?

I have an i7 with Intel Integrated Graphics (although admittedly also with an SSD and 16gb of RAM), and it runs pretty well for me.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, I complained about this on the Steam forum awhile ago and got lectured about how terrible NATO SAMs were by a developer. So to a certain extent I agreed, the STINGER system was overrated, but I was talking about literal dedicate SAM systems not man portable SAMs.

I'm 99% sure I recently read an FC:RS devpost stating that the Stinger was the only MANPADS worth a drat in the 80s, though the game seems to have made the SA-16 and 18 (Igla variants) more accurate.

ZombieLenin posted:

So I don't know if they've changed anything (they were talking about it), but my biggest complaint mechanic wise was the absolute inability of any forces to withdrawal when under fire--even when you screen with smoke.

I think they did? My recon has generally kept itself alive when I'm playing NATO (and I'm fairly sure it's not just screen orders doing it), though my armor is often more or less suicidally dedicated to holding a position. It'd be nice if there was an order in between hold and screen -- sometimes I want units not to gently caress off if someone dares to get too close, but to retreat if the enemy is close and they're taking effective fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn it battlefront why are your downloads so slow